HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 4:35 PM
Sanity merchant

Until a populous elected mayor listens to their populous, we're boned.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
1. bricks and mortar sales have been in slow decline for a decade with the advent of electronic commerce
2. we are close to the border, and many Londoners go to Detroit/Port Huron/Buffalo, etc. for bargains a few times per year, further depressing local retail.
3. London has been described as the most overmalled city in the country, and is most certainly up there in terms of retail surplus by almost any measure
4. Citiplaza, Westmount and now White Oaks are suffering, with high levels of vacancy
5. The big box smartcentre in northwest London has weed-filled parking lots for phases that never came about, plus a great deal of vacant storefront.
6. Does anybody care about the environment? Upwards of 97% of the land in Southwestern Ontario has been fundamentally altered by human activity.
7. London is the slowest-growing of Canada's 12 largest urban centres
8. Why are we still building an urban environment that promotes boring, low-density urbanscapes, discourages pedestrian/bike traffic, and encourages obesity? Why?
9. Spreading infrastructure over a wider footprint without a concomitant growth in residents/revenues is just asinine.
10. Stop the fucking insanity. We have been pro-sprawl for 2 decades....has this made London better?

Sorry to be such a sourpuss. But there it is.
You (and most of us here) are more intelligent than all of London City Council put together.

It's sad. While London is trying hard to develop ecologically sensitive areas with big box commercial, other Canadian cities are striving for sustainability. Kingston, for example, has a lofty goal of being "Canada's most sustainable city", and they're taking the bold step of eliminating on-street parking on a portion of the city's main street and replacing the parking spaces with bike lanes. And they're doing so despite intense opposition from locals who are whining about the so-called War on the Car. You would never see that kind of big-picture thinking and courage from London's city council.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 9:54 PM

Well Fontana has to show he's done something by 2014, besides his list of charges Otherwise might hurt his re-elected

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 1:40 AM
Sanity merchant

A call to delay a major Hwy. 401 London retail development, until environmental approvals are in, was run over by city council Monday night.

But in the debate over the $300-million PenEquity proposal — described as a battle between trees and jobs — one politician said something else entirely hangs in the balance: The public’s trust in this council.

If, as expected at press time, council was to approve needed zoning changes for the project on 31 hectares of land at the 401 and Wellington Rd., they’d be sidestepping their own blueprint for growth and endangering Londoners’ faith in the process, Coun. Nancy Branscombe said.

“The public trusts us to follow the rules,” she said. But with an approval, “we’ve lost that trust.

“(We’d be saying) if you’re big enough and you have a whole lot of money, you can do what you want.”

At issue is the massive commercial project trumpeted by Mayor Joe Fontana as a “gateway” to London.

In a city hobbled by one of Canada’s highest metro jobless rates, the project has no shortage of supporters.

But it’s also become a lightning rod for another issue — politicians being seen to rush pro-growth development, before needed check-offs by other players with interests at stake, in a city where many want tighter rules on big-box growth and urban sprawl.

The land is zoned commercial, but an adjustment is needed to allow a planned movie theatre.

But the approval would arrive without potentially fatal environment information: The land includes a wetland within a woodland, and there are incomplete environmental assessments by the Upper Thames River Conservation Authority, which regulates wetlands, and Ontario’s Natural Resources Ministry, which oversees woodlands.

The development is fine, Branscombe said, but the question is which parts of the land are environmentally “significant” enough to be protected.

It’s the lack of that clear information that led Coun. Joni Baechler to suggest the issue be sent back to staff pending more work, including an environmental impact study on the woodland.

That lost by a 10-5 vote, with Baechler, Branscombe, Denise Brown, Harold Usher and Judy Bryant supporting it for naught.

There were indications Coun. Matt Brown was to introduce stipulations on the rezoning approval that would protect the environmentally significant parts of the land, but details were unclear at press time.

The two relevant environmental groups, the UTRCA and MNR, must OK the developments before any building permits can be issued.

For the UTRCA, council approval before their work is done has been deemed unfair — putting them in the position of potentially standing in the way of a huge development.

Mayor Joe Fontana was pointed in his remarks about approving the project.

“If we do say no to that, it will send a message around the world,” he said. “We’ve got to have our heads examined if we’re going to do that.”

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 12:25 PM

So it was approved or not? Article reads a little confusing?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 5:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
“If we do say no to that, it will send a message around the world,” he said.
Maybe that message will be: "for the first time in two decades, London doesn't just needlessly sprawl"

I am so sick and tired of business/stupidity-as-usual at city hall.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Maybe that message will be: "for the first time in two decades, London doesn't just needlessly sprawl"

I am so sick and tired of business/stupidity-as-usual at city hall.
Saying "yes" to the proposal shows the world that London is committed to being the most unsustainable city in Canada. Other cities are striving to be sustainable.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
So it was approved or not? Article reads a little confusing?
Provisionally it was approved by council, as they need Ministry of Natural Resources and Upper Thames River Conservation Authority have to give the development an ok too. If either of them doesn't then the project is a no go. UTRCA wanted council to "study" it some more, since they don't wanna look like the bad guys if they reject the project, as you can bet Fontana and Co. will blame them for London's economic problems if rejected ..

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 1:37 AM

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/08/28/up...on-development

Quote:
“It’s very unfortunate we could end up losing 1,200 jobs and a $300-million development over what? Scrub brush.” - Stephen Orser
1200 jobs from this development? Why does Orser even open his mouth? The guy is the biggest do-nothing blowhard on council.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 2:15 AM
The Vomit Bag.

1200 net new jobs? HORSESHIT.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 2:34 AM
Sanity merchant

Looks like I'll be writing to orser again...... what can I call him this time...

"“It’s very unfortunate we could end up losing 1,200 jobs and a $300-million development over what? Scrub brush.”

I don’t know if you’re senile, stupid, or just a straight up bad Politian... We don’t have 1,200 jobs to lose, as we never had them in the first place. How about the 10,000 that were promised by loose lips Joe? Comment on that. Comment on how we as a city CONTINUALLY go outside common sense and sprawl, spread, and move outwards, when already established areas like White Oaks Mall, anything in Argyle, and other areas of the city continue to fall to the wayside and get turned into run down crackie joints. You’re a reason people lost faith in this city, you’re a reason I hate having to live here at times. Your non-sense in supporting things that in NO way should have any behind them prove why you are bad at what you’re supposed to be doing. Representing the people.

Please, just stop. Talking. Voting on anything. I will always vote for the other guy when you’re running.

May I suggest moving to Whitehorse?"

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 2:34 AM

When BS of this proportion is spewed out by politicians, I can't help but assume they have a vested interest in the development happening for shady reasons. Kickbacks, back room deals, etc.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 3:31 AM
Sanity merchant

His reply

"Thx that's so wonderful.
Ward 4 Councillor
Stephen Orser
Cell. 519-851-4968
Hom519-204-6040

Thanks"

sorser@London.ca

in case anyone would like to get a standard reply from this asshole

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 4:02 AM
Sanity merchant

Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:53 PM
To: Orser, Stephen
Subject: Re: Your recent work with the PenEquity stuff

I suppose if I had written an email praising you and your work, I’d get a more thoughtful reply? What about if I could ask a legit question, and not sound like a 12 year old. (apologies for that, but your attitude at times as caused myself to form a bad opinion of yourself)

Why are you supporting this cause, and not really looking at other areas that could grossly use help, such as Argyle, and White Oaks, and Westmount? What leads your belief that 1,200 jobs could be created from this development?

HIS REPLY

K go to bed does your mother know you are still up?
Ward 4 Councillor
Stephen Orser
Cell. 519-851-4968
Hom519-204-6040

Thanks

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 5:18 AM

This is so unnecessary, London has to be one of the most sprawled and over-retailed cities in the country. I'm sick of Fontana and Orser is a total buffoon.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 1:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K85 View Post
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:53 PM
To: Orser, Stephen
Subject: Re: Your recent work with the PenEquity stuff

I suppose if I had written an email praising you and your work, I’d get a more thoughtful reply? What about if I could ask a legit question, and not sound like a 12 year old. (apologies for that, but your attitude at times as caused myself to form a bad opinion of yourself)

Why are you supporting this cause, and not really looking at other areas that could grossly use help, such as Argyle, and White Oaks, and Westmount? What leads your belief that 1,200 jobs could be created from this development?

HIS REPLY

K go to bed does your mother know you are still up?
Ward 4 Councillor
Stephen Orser
Cell. 519-851-4968
Hom519-204-6040

Thanks
Good for you going after this idiot with his utter horseshit proclamations. What a fucking asshole (his replies).

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 1:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
1. bricks and mortar sales have been in slow decline for a decade with the advent of electronic commerce
2. we are close to the border, and many Londoners go to Detroit/Port Huron/Buffalo, etc. for bargains a few times per year, further depressing local retail.
3. London has been described as the most overmalled city in the country, and is most certainly up there in terms of retail surplus by almost any measure
4. Citiplaza, Westmount and now White Oaks are suffering, with high levels of vacancy
5. The big box smartcentre in northwest London has weed-filled parking lots for phases that never came about, plus a great deal of vacant storefront.
6. Does anybody care about the environment? Upwards of 97% of the land in Southwestern Ontario has been fundamentally altered by human activity.
7. London is the slowest-growing of Canada's 12 largest urban centres
8. Why are we still building an urban environment that promotes boring, low-density urbanscapes, discourages pedestrian/bike traffic, and encourages obesity? Why?
9. Spreading infrastructure over a wider footprint without a concomitant growth in residents/revenues is just asinine.
10. Stop the f** insanity. We have been pro-sprawl for 2 decades....has this made London better?
Ask Orser to rebut all ten of the above issues. Feel free to include the above (or portions thereof) in any further email exchanges.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 1:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Furthermore, you should forward the reply you received from Orser to the LFP and maybe to Councillor Matt Brown, who seems to still have some degree of respectability.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 1:45 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Even if one-tenth of the jobs promised is true (which I doubt) most are minimum-wage McJobs.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 3:04 PM
Sanity merchant

Who specifically should I forward that to? My emails to LFPress never seem to go anywhere

EDIT

Also, I look like a complete ass tell him to move to Whitehorse (I stand by it though) So hopefully credibility of the email doesn't drop with that

Last edited by K85; Aug 29, 2013 at 4:58 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates