HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 4:31 AM
The good old days are now

Furthest your city's skyline can be seen from?

What's the furthest away that your city's skyline can be seen from?

As far as I know, the furthest away that you can see Montreal is from Burlington, Vermont (117.48KM, 73 Miles). It can also be seen from the slightly closer upstate New York.

Photo here: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2655/...09679419_o.jpg
(Monctezuma, MtlUrb.com) Taken from above Burlington Vermont.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 4:45 AM
I am a typical

You can see the grain elevators in Thunder Bay's skyline from 24km east at the Thunder Bay Lookout in Sleeping Giant Provincial Park. You can see the city lights from Mount Ojibwe in Isle Royal National Park in Michigan, about 50 kilometres away, but I don't know if you can see buildings from that distance. (Possibly with a telescope? The Welcome Islands might get in the way too though.)

Without travelling an absurd distance or going to a different country, I know that you can see it (regular buildings, not just elevators) from points in Oliver Paipoonge and the Prince Arthur Hills, neither of which are more than 20 kilometres away. Not bad for our tiny little skylines.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 4:46 AM

You can see Calgary's from a decent ways from some angles, probably 40km + on the eastern side I'd imagine.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 4:56 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
You can see Calgary's from a decent ways from some angles, probably 40km + on the eastern side I'd imagine.
From the north you can see Calgary from Crossfield (probably abot 60km from downtown). Should be able to increase the distance a bit once the Bow tops out.

I love those shots of Toronto from the south shore of the lake.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 6:21 AM

It's really hard to tell because the Detroit skyline obscures Windsor's from nearly every angle except from E, which is mostly over Lake St. Clair.

This picture is from a slight (artificial) hill about 12 k east. The shoreline dips to the south behind me.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 6:24 AM

Edmonton's skyline can be seen from TCH 16 at Range Road 13A, which is just shy of 40 kms away (As the crow flies). Considering the tallest building in our skyline is 146 meters tall, that's pretty impressive.

Calgary's skyline is visible from some very far vantage points (excluding mountaintops). Crossfield was mentioned, and shortly west of Strathmore it also comes into view. It's also visible along AB 901 just west of the western boundary of the Siksika Reserve, close to 54 kilometers away. I still think my favorite view is immediately before the Macleod/Deerfoot Trail split south of the city.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 7:29 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Coquitlam really doesn't have much of a skyline to speak of. That, and given the geographic confines, the taller buildings in the center aren't really that visible from anywhere any distance away.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 12:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Toronto can be seen quite clearly from Saint Catherines and Niagara-on-the-Lake. Also from the skylon tower in Niagara Falls.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 5:02 PM

You can see Regina's skyline from just outside of Winnipeg.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 5:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Toronto can be seen quite clearly from Saint Catherines and Niagara-on-the-Lake. Also from the skylon tower in Niagara Falls.
yes. i was in niagara on the lake a week ago and the t.o. skyline was very clear. -i'm estimating that's about 50kms.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 5:46 PM

If you can see Montreal from 117km im pretty sure you could see TO from much further than 50 km. I mean, you must be able to see TO from the rooftops of Buffalo at least.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 6:49 PM

To those still who doubt these 100-km Montreal claims, I'm pretty sure they're true. You can see downtown or Mount Royal from very far even on the road, coming from the west, north or south (not sure about east).

Here is a picture I took from a Toyota Camry on the 40/417 highway (no hill), on August 14, 2008.

To the left, you can see Mount Royal, the Oratory, and Université de Montréal, which is 40.3 km away.

When you get much closer, in the west island

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 7:32 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
If you can see Montreal from 117km im pretty sure you could see TO from much further than 50 km. I mean, you must be able to see TO from the rooftops of Buffalo at least.
I think someone once posted a picture of it from the top of Buffalo's tallest?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 7:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Funny you should ask. Ottawa doesn’t have an impressive skyline but last weekend I noticed one could see it very clearly (including Parliament’s Peace Tower) from Quebec Autoroute 50 in Buckingham, about 40 km away.

You can also see downtown Ottawa quite clearly from many points in Gatineau Park that are near-total wilderness. These points are generally not as far as Buckingham, however...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 8:13 PM

That skyline pic from Burlington was taken from an airplane I suppose? I know you can see Montreal's skyline from the top of Mount Orford 100 km away. That mountain is located right outside Greater Sherbrooke. I think it's the furthest you can see the Montreal skyline, except from an airplane.

Last edited by le calmar; Sep 15, 2009 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 8:22 PM

Toronto can be seen from the high ridge north of Welland (Fonthill), which is slightly further away than Niagara-On-The-Lake. You can also see Lake Erie, Buffalo and Niagara Falls from up there. You can't see Hamilton because downtown Hamilton is tucked below the Escarpment, otherwise you could see it too.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 8:22 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by river that calls View Post
You can see Regina's skyline from just outside of Winnipeg.
i was about to make the same joke in reverse....

assuming the ground is flat....here is how to figure it out mathematically:

The vertical line drawn from the top say point T of the building of height h towards the centre, say O of earth measures (R+h), where R is radius of earth. Neglecting viewer's height, let the tangent drawn from viewer's location, say point L to the surface of earth in such a way that it touches the top of the building measure X. Then the triangle LTO is aright triangle with right angle at L and hypotenuse OT and one side LT = X. Let the angle LOT be theta. It is obvious that if the viewers goes beyond L the building will not be visible. Let the location point of the building be B. We know that TO meets earth at B. We are supposed to find out the the distance BL measured on teh surface of earth. We know that
BL = R*theta and tan (theta) is given by

tan (theta) = LT/OL = sq rt[OT^2 - OL^2] / OL where OL = R and OT = R+h, So
tan (theta) = sq rt[(R+h)^2 - R^2] / R or = sq rt[{1 + (h/R)}^2 - 1] = sq rt [2h/R] neglecting higher powers of (h/R).

h for a 30 story building can be estimated as (10 feet)*30 = 300 ft = (300*12*2.54)/100 m = 91.44 m or say 91 m

R = 6.37*10^6 m
tan (theta) = [sq rt(2*91/6.37)]*10 ^-3 = 5.345*10^-3 =
or theta = 5.345*10^-3 rad

BL = (5.345*10^-3)*(6.37*10^6) = 34049 m = 34 km

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 9:55 PM
the goggles do nothing

One of the Calgary fourmers posted a pic of DT Calgary from the mountains at least 70 km away. It could entirely be possible to view DT Calgary from BC taking into account the right visibility, magnification and line of sight.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 11:21 PM
YaY~InForMatTion TimE

I'd definitely say it is possible, especially if you photoshop the photo..

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...204074&page=95 (this thread was all about skylines from far away)

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 12:46 AM
I am a typical

There is a photo of Victoria with Mount Rainier (I think?) in the background, so one can assume that from the peak of Mount Rainier you can see Victoria. How far apart are they?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada