HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think of the design?
I love it! 156 44.70%
It's good. 134 38.40%
I don't like it. 28 8.02%
Nuke it from Orbit (waste of taxpayers dollars) 31 8.88%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 6:25 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Reading comments on the news sites, its amazing (but not really surprising) how uninformed people are, in so many ways, and yet they feel like they have to comment on whatever it is that they have no clue about.

People have no clue where the money for the bridge came from (hint: not from property taxes)

People think that council gave themselves raises (they just decided to not re-review the policy that was put in place that would adjust their salaries with the inflation rate, so that they wouldn't have to waste time debating pay raises every year)

People don't realize that council didn't have an issue with the location of the bridge.

People don't realize that just going to one firm to design something like this is common practice.

People don't realize that this money could not have been utilized to save jobs at the city, or pay for services, or build more hospitals.

People who think that the homeless are just going to hang out on a well lit bridge, when all of the other dark bridges are fairly close by.

People who think it's going to become an instant graffiti target.

People who think a bridge isn't needed because there's other bridges " a block over."

People that just assume that it's going to cost FAR more then budgeted (that what contingency is for- and is built into the 24.5 million - we could actually SAVE money from the 24.5 million)

People who think this bridge is awfully expensive.

People who still seem to think that that council DID NOT ALLOW city vehicles to have the support our troops decals on them (COucil just said they weren't going to pay for them)

People who complain about the name because another bridge that is 4000 km away shares the same name.

People who know oh so much better on what a bridge should cost, or what THIS bridge should cost, than people who are actually paid to figure such things out.

People who think building the bridge out of sandstone would be a good thing.

People who think this bridge would fit in well in (insert name of world class city here), but not in lowly Calgary ( we don't need anything fancy)

People assuming that the contract for it's construction is already awarded (to some "non-local union company") when a local company could have done the same thing for 1/3 the cost. (???)

People assuming that this bridge will never be cleaned, and thus will look dull and dirty in a month, or a year.

People who think this is afterthought work by Calatrava (he's said himself that it's one of the most complex bridges he's designed, and that's saying something)

etc.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
Reading comments on the news sites, its amazing (but not really surprising) how uninformed people are, in so many ways, and yet they feel like they have to comment on whatever it is that they have no clue about.
THANK YOU. This sums up my frustration with most comments posted on the aforementioned news site boards.

Healthy debate is one thing, but the mob mentality shown by the average commenter on those boards is, to be honest, kind of depressing. Differing viewpoints keep life interesting, but I just wish people would try and do a little fact checking of their own before lighting the torch and joining the witch hunt.

Last edited by Stang; Jul 29, 2009 at 6:43 PM. Reason: Small grammar edit.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 6:48 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Oh, forgot to add:

People who think that Calatrava must be ashamed of his own work because it wasn't on his website at all (4 hours after being revealed)

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 6:55 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by korzym View Post
this is not only at you freeweed, but many here are now bashing the intelligence of those that give the news their feedback:

Their votes at the end of the day.

How do you think repeating "change" and "yes we can" got bam bam elected in the u.s.? Intelligence is something important I agree, but what makes sense to you won't make sense to everyone. Seems like most people are ticked off over this bridge.
If you honestly and truly believe that people who post to the Herald's comments section, or call into 770 are anything larger than a miniscule fraction of the population... *sigh*. Not much I can do for ya there. Now, their views MAY REPRESENT common beliefs but don't kid yourself - the votes of 50 people whining on the Herald's website do not an election make. Show me a properly conducted poll before either me or you go and make sweeping generalizations as to what the masses think about this bridge, thanks. I've met just as many people who love it as hate it.

Regardless, the exact same people who were against this bridge from day one are the ones upset about it now. Interestingly, those also are the exact same people who whine daily about where "their" tax money goes, and how all governments waste every tax dollar - except when it's towards things THEY want, of course!

As I said above, I'd truly love to meet someone who will actually change their vote because of this bridge. I'd put good money on nothing changing on that front. The majority of people vote the same way, all the time, based on a couple of talking points and emotional rhetoric. Just look at how many people in the US continued to support Bush because they were afraid of Democrats over-spending. Yeah, because Bush didn't rack up record deficits or anything. PS: Obama got elected because nearly the entire world now loathes Bush, even some of his most ardent supporters before. *I* could have gotten elected on the Democrat ticket last year.

(Not trying to bring up more offtopic US discussion but it demonstrates the point - people by and large don't vote on ISSUES so much as partisan crap)

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 7:01 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Post Calgary Herald Q&A with Calatrava

Exclusive Q&A with Calgary "Peace Bridge" designer Santiago Calatrava

July 29, 2009 12:44 PM

When he last visited Calgary in May, architect Santiago Calatrava agreed to an interview with the Herald's Jason Markusoff, on the condition it not be released until his design was made public.

Herald: Other bridges you have designed look very different from this one. How did your past experience designing bridges contribute to your design of this one?

Santiago Calatrava: I’m more inclined to say it’s a unique bridge. I have never done a bridge like that, even in the use of colours. You see, mostly my bridges are all white and this has, I call it, Canadian red. I have to say it has been an opportunity of renewal. Also I have to say that the first impressions I got about the bridge arriving here was that a lot of people – in a very inhospitable day – were jogging around. And I thought for those people, and in order to blend the communication of the north side with the south side of the river bank you need a bridge that invites you to go through, even with the speed of the wind and the speed of the snowy weather. This brought me to put some functional criteria up front – covering the bridge. So it’s important that this has also a very strong human character. You understand, you could do a bridge that is almost like an adventure to cross it, like a trekking trail, or something like that, or you can do a suspended bridge that even moves a little or whatever. But I wanted to do a very human bridge. A bridge that invited the people of one side to go into the other, and vice versa. Not only people who are jogging and so, but also regular citizens that take their bicycle and go for a tour in Prince’s Island or downtown. You see a mother with a child who push the small caddy. I wanted to do a very human bridge. I think that whent he bridge was explained to me, was explained as a connection between one part of the city into another one, in which many people will go to work also by using bicycles or whatever. And I thought it is necessary to do a very human bridge.

If you look at the cityscape at the one side, it’s all tall buildings. And many people form their apartment will be able to see the bridge at night. It doesn’t mean the bridge will not landmark the area. And it’s also on the other side by having the city so consolidated with those tall buildings behind, it’s very difficult as a landmark to compete with a mast, that will be maybe only 16 metres high, when the buildings around are 100 metres. So sometimes those tall elements are good when they are in shallow environments because they really landmark the place... But what is the real landmark in this park is the whole front of the city, which keeps growing. So I thought by doing a horizontal element, I may even distinguish it more. You could imagine the bridge standing up, and it would be a good skyscraper. But this is a horizontal landmark.

Herald: Does this bridge mark a new phase in your bridge-building? It in some ways looks like the last one you built over Venice’s canal. That one was even red, like this one.

S.C.: No no, the colour of the bridge in Venice is Rosso Veniziano – it’s almost a brownish red. And the red we are trying to use here is very close to the red you can see in the leaves here sometimes, or in the Canadian flag. To do a very clear red and white configuration. You see, I came here on a very cold winter day. All for me was white around. I thought, if I do a white bridge in this place, it’s not the type of contrast I would like to have in the different seasonal colours. The (promotional) video pretends to be from the fall to the winter to the spring to the summer, and the red is recognizable in all those situations. So this is what made me choose the colour. However, you know the interior of the bridge is white. I wanted to do something more appealing and add to the river’s sense of cleanness. Even the stones in the paving, we would like to have it very light, maybe in a grey or a beige colour.

Herald: Jadwiga Kroman, the project manager, told me a charming story of how when you visited that first time at Teatro, the restaurant, you wound up sketching on a napkin that very same design. Was that same idea what we see in the renderings, or has it changed?

S.C.: I have to say the sketches of the bridge were formed during the Christmastime. Ms. Kroman got for me a book with sketches, over 180 or 200 sketches, done by hand, showing steps toward the elliptical section. It was providential, the visit to Calgary, because I understood very much about the beauty of the place, as well I saw photos of Calgary you know with the Rockies behind, and I also know well other cities like Denver at the feet of the mountains. So respect for nature was one issue, minimalizing the environmental impact was another issue, and the other was to build a very comfortable bridge, a very human bridge. It’s different when you do a bridge going to Prince’s Island, because it is a recreation park. But when you do a bridge between one part of the city and another, like we wanted do here, you have to do this very attractive, very functional, very accessible, and people have to us that in an easy way.

For me, it’s a highlight, beause i have never done a bridge like that. Of the 14 bridges I have built, there’s not one that follows this principle, not one that is done with this purity. And technically it is a demanding bridge. It’s a highly technical bridge.

Herald: With that in mind, is this an architect’s bridge or an engineer’s bridge?

S.C.: You know that until the early 19th century there was no difference. There is a fellow called Pironay who has built many bridges. He was an architect and he was founder of Ecole Polytechnique, in the Napoleonic time, and this Pironay was the founder of the school from which started calling engineers instead of architects. in principle, there is not a difference. I think it is a bridge that is engineering-wise enormously challenging, and technically in my eyes it’s an achievement, it’s a very modern bridge. On the other hand it’s a bridge that tried to be very functional and very near and close to the people.

Herald: There’s disappointment from a lot of people in Calgary that there was an attempt to go beyond the functional, to bring you in, especially at this time where everyone is cutting back. I know you’ve experienced that your Chicago (condo) project, that that’s a victim of a recession. How do you feel about this as a time to build bridges of extravagance, of beauty?

S.C.: To build things with beauty, is a matter of dignity and not a matter of time. If you go to certain places where people have been living in the mediterranean areas before the tourists arrived. Yu could arrive into those Greek villages in the islands. It was those pristine white houses and these beautiful villages. People were living with very little resources. But it was clean, and it was pristine, and it was apulchritude. So i don’t think recession or not recession, the sensibility towards beauty is for all seasons.

At the other side, beauty and function are not fighting with each other. A bridge has to be functional, and we are here giving a lot of importance to the functionality, beause i think i wanted to do a bridge that was appealing that people use with pleasure and that it really serves the people directly.

And then the third thing is that remember, I am living in New York. I think the greatest achievements in new york is the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, the Rockefeller Center, the geroge washington bridge. those were all built in the great depression. The people should understand that difficult times is the time of renewal. It is the time to get in front of the challenges with a lot of courage and openness. And I think those buildings remain as witness of the people’s attitude of hope for the future. Because everybody knows today in the globe and mail there was an article that the American banking system is already showing signs that we are over the recession. One day or another this crisis will be finished and we will show ourselves to the future generations as courageous people, living in their future, not only in our future. I mean, in New York you have those great buildings, the greatest in the city, built in the most beautiful time.

Herald: As I walk along the river bank, where this bridge is going to be, people I ask say this is the epitome of terrible decisions. This was a bad use of taxpayer’s money. Why should we be hiring this fellow from Spain to build this bridge? What do you make of this criticism?

S.C.: First of all, I am not so un-Canadian as I may appear. Because canada in my opinion is composed of many people from all over the world, among others from Spain. Spaniard are not foreigners in Calgary. Thanks to your sense of hospitality and welcoming you are a community that has demonstrated throughout the 20th century that you can build up a great country, taking in people willing to come here to work, and willing to come here to do the best, residents or non-residents. This has impressed me so much that I sent three of my boys to study in Canada. At the time I was building the BCE plaza (in Toronto). I thought that’s a good place to educate my children. So they’ve been in Lakefield College School all three of them. I’m very familiar with the country with the nature and the character of the people here. So I don’t consider myself 100 per cent a foreigner here, although I don’t live in Canada, I live in New York. Everybody coming here whether they are coming from India or coming from Japan or coming from China -- wherever they come -- I am sure we are inspired by a spirit to give our very best. Indeed I am very proud to have done for Calgary a very unique bridge. It is a bridge as I have never done, a bridge that will be built within budget and on time. I am also putting my know-how and 28 years of professionalism, projecting a bridge and doing that with a local firm, Stantec, who is my local partner here.

Herald: What does it say about a city that they select you as the designer. Everybody when they were talking about the bridge, especially in City Hall, were talking about an iconic bridge by an iconic designer. Atlanta has also pursued you for this city. Dallas has. Other cities have. What does it say about a city that they seek Santiago Calatrava to design for them a bridge or a building?

S.C.: Everybody who is working in this circumstance has to try in a very short period of time to not only hear the people around you, but also see and feel to get the spirit of the place. What fascinates me about the city is it is so you are such a young city. It is 115 years old, and compared to European cities it is a very very young. Whatever you do, if it has a certain character, is enormously appreciated by the people. Because I have experienced in other cities where I have built, in Milwaukee and in Toronto, you feel an enormous proudness, because people appreciate those things, particularly young people.

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald
Link
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The proof reading on this article sucks, including the headline if you check out the link! Spelling mistakes and errors galore!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 7:26 PM
Scraper Fan

Calatrava is very well spoken... great interview IMHO (proof reading aside).

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 7:27 PM
Round Head

I like what he has to say - and his design rationale comes through.

I thought I'd post the larger size images:

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 8:14 PM

I love everything about the bridge except the red. IMO, the red would be better suited for a 'concrete jungle' like setting - something like Chicago or London, where there is lots of gray and concrete surrounding it. It would have rather seen a metallic look or plain white.
In the end though, this will be a great addition to Calgary.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 8:40 PM
Inflatable Hippo

I was on the fence about this one, but that thing looks ridiculous.

It looks like a giant chinese finger trap,

Edit: Fury beat me to it.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 9:06 PM
Develop This!

...thoughts on the new bridge, I like it...it is certainly different than anything else we have and will be a unique addition to the city...I'm very interested in watching the construction process as I am having a hard time rationalizing how this sucker is going to be built...

...one thought that came to mind was we may see this thing built lengthwise on a barge alongside the riverbank, welded into it's ultimate length whilst sitting atop the barge....once it's compelte and the riverbank supports are in place the upstream end of the barge is let loose to swing via river current across the bow and massive cranes located on the north and south river banks will simply pluck the bridge off it's barge support and swing her onto her supports in a single Sunday afternoon....then it can be finished...what got me thinking of this was the whole initiative to not affect the river with the design, and this environmental principle could be, er should be extended to the construction process as well...why protect the waterway with the end result but end up damaging it by how you get there....

...one last thing, I see those glass roof panels getting the boot....it will be a cost savings initially and also saves a maintenance hassle later....

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 9:29 PM
BANNED

[QUOTE=Bigtime;4380714]Exclusive Q&A with Calgary "Peace Bridge" designer Santiago Calatrava

Thought I'd summarize some of the main rational and key points I took out of the article, for those of you who are too lazy to read the whole thing.
All quotes From Santiago Calatrava.

Also I have to say that the first impressions I got about the bridge arriving here was that a lot of people – in a very inhospitable day – were jogging around. And I thought for those people, and in order to blend the communication of the north side with the south side of the river bank you need a bridge that invites you to go through, even with the speed of the wind and the speed of the snowy weather. This brought me to put some functional criteria up front – covering the bridge. So it’s important that this has also a very strong human character.

it’s very difficult as a landmark to compete with a mast, that will be maybe only 16 metres high, when the buildings around are 100 metres. So sometimes those tall elements are good when they are in shallow environments because they really landmark the place... But what is the real landmark in this park is the whole front of the city, which keeps growing. So I thought by doing a horizontal element, I may even distinguish it more. You could imagine the bridge standing up, and it would be a good skyscraper. But this is a horizontal landmark.

I thought, if I do a white bridge in this place, it’s not the type of contrast I would like to have in the different seasonal colours. The (promotional) video pretends to be from the fall to the winter to the spring to the summer, and the red is recognizable in all those situations. So this is what made me choose the colour.

So respect for nature was one issue, minimalizing the environmental impact was another issue, and the other was to build a very comfortable bridge, a very human bridge. It’s different when you do a bridge going to Prince’s Island, because it is a recreation park. But when you do a bridge between one part of the city and another, like we wanted do here, you have to do this very attractive, very functional, very accessible, and people have to us that in an easy way.

For me, it’s a highlight, beause i have never done a bridge like that. Of the 14 bridges I have built, there’s not one that follows this principle, not one that is done with this purity. And technically it is a demanding bridge. It’s a highly technical bridge.

I think it is a bridge that is engineering-wise enormously challenging, and technically in my eyes it’s an achievement, it’s a very modern bridge. On the other hand it’s a bridge that tried to be very functional and very near and close to the people.

I think the greatest achievements in new york is the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, the Rockefeller Center, the geroge washington bridge. those were all built in the great depression. The people should understand that difficult times is the time of renewal. It is the time to get in front of the challenges with a lot of courage and openness.

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald
Link
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 9:38 PM
Build'em high!

I love the bridge. If I had it my way, I would have had the entrances on both side flared out to be a bit wider. Other than that, a great looking bridge.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
...one thought that came to mind was we may see this thing built lengthwise on a barge alongside the riverbank, welded into it's ultimate length whilst sitting atop the barge....once it's compelte and the riverbank supports are in place the upstream end of the barge is let loose to swing via river current across the bow and massive cranes located on the north and south river banks will simply pluck the bridge off it's barge support and swing her onto her supports in a single Sunday afternoon....then it can be finished...what got me thinking of this was the whole initiative to not affect the river with the design, and this environmental principle could be, er should be extended to the construction process as well...why protect the waterway with the end result but end up damaging it by how you get there....
My understanding is that will be somewhat along the lines of the process. They've made several references to not disturbing the river for, or during construction. I'd personally expect it to be built on shore adjacent to where it will be crossing, then lift the one end out and swing it across when its done.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 9:45 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
My understanding is that will be somewhat along the lines of the process. They've made several references to not disturbing the river for, or during construction. I'd personally expect it to be built on shore adjacent to where it will be crossing, then lift the one end out and swing it across when its done.
Sounds like a job for those giant ass Mammoet cranes. I'm sure we'll have some photogs on hand to capture it.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 9:46 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
...thoughts on the new bridge, I like it...it is certainly different than anything else we have and will be a unique addition to the city...I'm very interested in watching the construction process as I am having a hard time rationalizing how this sucker is going to be built...

...one last thing, I see those glass roof panels getting the boot....it will be a cost savings initially and also saves a maintenance hassle later....
I don't imagine the whole thing will be welded together on site, I could see it coming to site in a dozen peices, then the final welding to put it together done on site. It won't be able to come down any road in the area in one piece to get to the site, though, so it will have to come in pieces that fit under the memorial drive bridges, and the final fabrication will have to be done on site.

As far as putting the bridge in place over the river, a barge isn't going to work, as the river isn't very deep. More likely it's going to be some kind of launching truss that can slide the main part of the bridge out to a point where the crane on the other side of the river can pick up one end. Then the 2 cranes (one on either side of the river) will each pick up an end of the structure and lift it into place.

It's been said ( I don't know which article) that it will be constructed without going in the river as well.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 9:50 PM
YIMBY

I would imagine that it will be assembled on the south bank and jacked out in a similar fashion to the new bridge out by golden...I seem to recall reading something to that effect some where (it might have been on here)

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 10:04 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
I would imagine that it will be assembled on the south bank and jacked out in a similar fashion to the new bridge out by golden...I seem to recall reading something to that effect some where (it might have been on here)
You might see something related to that for a bit of the erection, but the problem is that you would need to put something in the river to do it fully.

Here are pictures of the Park Bridge girder launching for those who can't picture it.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 10:07 PM

A white version of the bridge my friend Chris did.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 10:19 PM
Develop This!

^^...don't pay Chris out 100% yet, he missed rendering the reflection in the water...

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 10:20 PM

That's the genius of Calatrava. He incorporates color that only shows up in reflected form.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates