HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

    The Trillium on South Park in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1601  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 5:51 PM
coolmillion's Avatar
coolmillion coolmillion is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 295
I went to the new Humani-T cafe in the Trillium yesterday and was VERY impressed. It is completely different from their other location in the Hydrostone and there is nothing quite like it in Halifax - the diverse menu, decor, layout. I can see this being a very popular after-dinner destination for gelato and desserts (apparently it's open until midnight). The soy-banana gelato was the best non-dairy ice cream I've ever had (damn lactose intolerance!). I spoke with the owner and he said he had to commit to a ten-year lease.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1602  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 6:48 PM
CorbeauNoir's Avatar
CorbeauNoir CorbeauNoir is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
I went to the new Humani-T cafe in the Trillium yesterday and was VERY impressed. It is completely different from their other location in the Hydrostone and there is nothing quite like it in Halifax - the diverse menu, decor, layout. I can see this being a very popular after-dinner destination for gelato and desserts (apparently it's open until midnight). The soy-banana gelato was the best non-dairy ice cream I've ever had (damn lactose intolerance!). I spoke with the owner and he said he had to commit to a ten-year lease.
7am-midnight every day except for some Baha'i holidays
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1603  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 9:20 PM
RyeJay RyeJay is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
I went to the new Humani-T cafe in the Trillium yesterday and was VERY impressed. It is completely different from their other location in the Hydrostone and there is nothing quite like it in Halifax - the diverse menu, decor, layout. I can see this being a very popular after-dinner destination for gelato and desserts (apparently it's open until midnight). The soy-banana gelato was the best non-dairy ice cream I've ever had (damn lactose intolerance!). I spoke with the owner and he said he had to commit to a ten-year lease.
I never knew there was such a thing as after-dinner destinations to which people go to eat, after having just eaten.

Don't sweat your lactose intolerance. Technically no one should be ingesting lactose past their infancy.

A lease of ten years sounds good! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. South Park Street is a wonderful area to extend Spring Garden Road's retail and restaurant hub. We'll see if Park Victoria's former Trinity location becomes something. I know while I lived there, I always thought a Tim Hortons/Second Cup would have been perfect, considering all the students.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1604  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 10:25 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 21,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
A lease of ten years sounds good! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. South Park Street is a wonderful area to extend Spring Garden Road's retail and restaurant hub. We'll see if Park Victoria's former Trinity location becomes something. I know while I lived there, I always thought a Tim Hortons/Second Cup would have been perfect, considering all the students.
I don't know how likely this is to happen, but now that the Trillium is complete it is a good time to overhaul the ground floor level of Park Victoria. The large setback serves almost no purpose given the park right across the street and the arrangement of the sidewalk. The black fence makes makes the whole place uninviting and gives it a private condo feel, which doesn't work given the retail spaces at ground level.

If they built a few floors out to the street they could put in more retail, nicer landscaping, and a rooftop patio for residents. It would be better all around.

There are probably a dozen or more buildings like this in the area. The condos probably won't change but it's not so far-fetched to redevelop the apartment buildings a little.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1605  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 1:48 PM
coolmillion's Avatar
coolmillion coolmillion is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
I never knew there was such a thing as after-dinner destinations to which people go to eat, after having just eaten.
After dinner comes dessert
I think they may be able to attract people who don't want to eat dinner out, just dessert. Otherwise, it'll be a daytime cafe and coffee shop as well.

Le Bistro reopened as Le Bistro by Liz in its former location (where Trinity was in Park Vic) some time last year. I think it has a new owner but I'm not sure what else has changed.

Last edited by coolmillion; Jul 2, 2012 at 2:30 PM. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1606  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 4:11 AM
SekishikiMeikaiHa's Avatar
SekishikiMeikaiHa SekishikiMeikaiHa is offline
積屍氣冥界波
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 407
A few pics of an old friend:

Just one retail space left at the far end on the left side:


Look what I found in the back:




More lighthouses!
__________________
積屍氣冥界波
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1607  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 7:02 AM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto area (ex-Nova Scotian)
Posts: 5,558
Thank you for the pictures SekishikiMeikaiHa.

It is time to call Dr. Who; the Daleks have the place surrounded .
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1608  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 7:14 AM
cormiermax's Avatar
cormiermax cormiermax is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Beijing
Posts: 884
It looks horribly cheap.
__________________
http://v2studio.ca/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1609  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 8:54 AM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,379
The lighthouses are not bad if you view them as abstractions rather than literal representations. They seem comparable to Vancouver's obelisks at False Creek.
I am presuming that they are a lighting feature.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1610  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 11:30 AM
eastcoastal eastcoastal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
The lighthouses are not bad if you view them as abstractions rather than literal representations. They seem comparable to Vancouver's obelisks at False Creek.
I am presuming that they are a lighting feature.
They are not lighting features (I'm pretty sure they aren't), but they ARE the result of a design competition. A competition. They were someone's idea of what would be the best possible piece of public art for this building.

Then... they were a whole group of someones' ideas of what was the best idea out of all the ideas submitted.

For real.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1611  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 1:58 PM
mcmcclassic's Avatar
mcmcclassic mcmcclassic is offline
BUILD!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
They are not lighting features (I'm pretty sure they aren't), but they ARE the result of a design competition. A competition. They were someone's idea of what would be the best possible piece of public art for this building.

Then... they were a whole group of someones' ideas of what was the best idea out of all the ideas submitted.

For real.
I'm wondering if only one person entered this design competition....

Has anyone had a chance to try out the food places in the retail portion? I enjoyed the Humani T cafe's gelato and the Broadway Cheesecake place has awesome cheesecake as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1612  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 2:10 PM
Wishblade's Avatar
Wishblade Wishblade is offline
You talkin' to me?
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post
I'm wondering if only one person entered this design competition....

Has anyone had a chance to try out the food places in the retail portion? I enjoyed the Humani T cafe's gelato and the Broadway Cheesecake place has awesome cheesecake as well.
I remember seeing a while back all the different designs entered in the competition (there were quite a few) and this was the worst one of them all and somehow got chosen.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1613  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:01 PM
RyeJay RyeJay is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
It looks horribly cheap.
Maybe, from all of the ideas submitted, from all of their available options, this is why they went with these lighthouses.

Because they're cheap.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1614  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:35 PM
cormiermax's Avatar
cormiermax cormiermax is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Beijing
Posts: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Maybe, from all of the ideas submitted, from all of their available options, this is why they went with these lighthouses.

Because they're cheap.
Sounds very plausible.
__________________
http://v2studio.ca/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1615  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:47 PM
RyeJay RyeJay is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,131
Trillium Competition: Dollar Store Version.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1616  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 9:01 PM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
we built this city
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,663
I could see the developer making these go away at some point in the future... they take away valuable space... in both the front entrance and the back patio.

The Trillium turned out pretty good actually, and I think the lighthouses detract from that corner. The building is also much more lively in the summer along South Park.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1617  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 10:44 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,009
They look like giant salt and pepper shakers to me. Maybe some wag can go there under cover of darkness, paint a bunch of little black dots on the top of each, and label them with a nice large "S" or "P".
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1618  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 2:27 AM
Nifta Nifta is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 162
The crushed stone for the parking lot is horrible. This is supposed to be a luxury residence, not a builder's yard.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1619  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 2:28 AM
Hali87 Hali87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,094
What I was hoping for (and this would have been a long shot, but probably not much more expensive or difficult than the status quo) was that the lighthouses would be mounted on the building, in some cases horizontally (as in, perpendicular to the building) and then used as a lighting feature. The status quo looks oddly incomplete.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1620  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 3:14 AM
resetcbu1's Avatar
resetcbu1 resetcbu1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifta View Post
The crushed stone for the parking lot is horrible. This is supposed to be a luxury residence, not a builder's yard.
I thought the exact same but possibly that is not their lot but that of an adjacent bussiness that they used for construction or share.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:02 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.