HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Trillium on South Park in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 5:51 PM

I went to the new Humani-T cafe in the Trillium yesterday and was VERY impressed. It is completely different from their other location in the Hydrostone and there is nothing quite like it in Halifax - the diverse menu, decor, layout. I can see this being a very popular after-dinner destination for gelato and desserts (apparently it's open until midnight). The soy-banana gelato was the best non-dairy ice cream I've ever had (damn lactose intolerance!). I spoke with the owner and he said he had to commit to a ten-year lease.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
I went to the new Humani-T cafe in the Trillium yesterday and was VERY impressed. It is completely different from their other location in the Hydrostone and there is nothing quite like it in Halifax - the diverse menu, decor, layout. I can see this being a very popular after-dinner destination for gelato and desserts (apparently it's open until midnight). The soy-banana gelato was the best non-dairy ice cream I've ever had (damn lactose intolerance!). I spoke with the owner and he said he had to commit to a ten-year lease.
7am-midnight every day except for some Baha'i holidays

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 9:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
I never knew there was such a thing as after-dinner destinations to which people go to eat, after having just eaten.

Don't sweat your lactose intolerance. Technically no one should be ingesting lactose past their infancy.

A lease of ten years sounds good! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. South Park Street is a wonderful area to extend Spring Garden Road's retail and restaurant hub. We'll see if Park Victoria's former Trinity location becomes something. I know while I lived there, I always thought a Tim Hortons/Second Cup would have been perfect, considering all the students.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 10:25 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
A lease of ten years sounds good! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. South Park Street is a wonderful area to extend Spring Garden Road's retail and restaurant hub. We'll see if Park Victoria's former Trinity location becomes something. I know while I lived there, I always thought a Tim Hortons/Second Cup would have been perfect, considering all the students.
I don't know how likely this is to happen, but now that the Trillium is complete it is a good time to overhaul the ground floor level of Park Victoria. The large setback serves almost no purpose given the park right across the street and the arrangement of the sidewalk. The black fence makes makes the whole place uninviting and gives it a private condo feel, which doesn't work given the retail spaces at ground level.

If they built a few floors out to the street they could put in more retail, nicer landscaping, and a rooftop patio for residents. It would be better all around.

There are probably a dozen or more buildings like this in the area. The condos probably won't change but it's not so far-fetched to redevelop the apartment buildings a little.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 1:48 PM

Quote:
I never knew there was such a thing as after-dinner destinations to which people go to eat, after having just eaten.
After dinner comes dessert
I think they may be able to attract people who don't want to eat dinner out, just dessert. Otherwise, it'll be a daytime cafe and coffee shop as well.

Le Bistro reopened as Le Bistro by Liz in its former location (where Trinity was in Park Vic) some time last year. I think it has a new owner but I'm not sure what else has changed.

Last edited by coolmillion; Jul 2, 2012 at 2:30 PM. Reason: correction

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 4:11 AM
積屍氣冥界波

A few pics of an old friend:

Just one retail space left at the far end on the left side:

Look what I found in the back:

More lighthouses!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 7:02 AM
Honored Member

Thank you for the pictures SekishikiMeikaiHa.

It is time to call Dr. Who; the Daleks have the place surrounded .

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 7:14 AM

It looks horribly cheap.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 8:54 AM

The lighthouses are not bad if you view them as abstractions rather than literal representations. They seem comparable to Vancouver's obelisks at False Creek.
I am presuming that they are a lighting feature.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
The lighthouses are not bad if you view them as abstractions rather than literal representations. They seem comparable to Vancouver's obelisks at False Creek.
I am presuming that they are a lighting feature.
They are not lighting features (I'm pretty sure they aren't), but they ARE the result of a design competition. A competition. They were someone's idea of what would be the best possible piece of public art for this building.

Then... they were a whole group of someones' ideas of what was the best idea out of all the ideas submitted.

For real.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 1:58 PM
BUILD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
They are not lighting features (I'm pretty sure they aren't), but they ARE the result of a design competition. A competition. They were someone's idea of what would be the best possible piece of public art for this building.

Then... they were a whole group of someones' ideas of what was the best idea out of all the ideas submitted.

For real.
I'm wondering if only one person entered this design competition....

Has anyone had a chance to try out the food places in the retail portion? I enjoyed the Humani T cafe's gelato and the Broadway Cheesecake place has awesome cheesecake as well.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 2:10 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post
I'm wondering if only one person entered this design competition....

Has anyone had a chance to try out the food places in the retail portion? I enjoyed the Humani T cafe's gelato and the Broadway Cheesecake place has awesome cheesecake as well.
I remember seeing a while back all the different designs entered in the competition (there were quite a few) and this was the worst one of them all and somehow got chosen.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
It looks horribly cheap.
Maybe, from all of the ideas submitted, from all of their available options, this is why they went with these lighthouses.

Because they're cheap.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Maybe, from all of the ideas submitted, from all of their available options, this is why they went with these lighthouses.

Because they're cheap.
Sounds very plausible.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 3:47 PM
BANNED

Trillium Competition: Dollar Store Version.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 9:01 PM
we built this city

I could see the developer making these go away at some point in the future... they take away valuable space... in both the front entrance and the back patio.

The Trillium turned out pretty good actually, and I think the lighthouses detract from that corner. The building is also much more lively in the summer along South Park.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 10:44 PM

They look like giant salt and pepper shakers to me. Maybe some wag can go there under cover of darkness, paint a bunch of little black dots on the top of each, and label them with a nice large "S" or "P".

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 2:27 AM

The crushed stone for the parking lot is horrible. This is supposed to be a luxury residence, not a builder's yard.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 2:28 AM

What I was hoping for (and this would have been a long shot, but probably not much more expensive or difficult than the status quo) was that the lighthouses would be mounted on the building, in some cases horizontally (as in, perpendicular to the building) and then used as a lighting feature. The status quo looks oddly incomplete.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifta View Post
The crushed stone for the parking lot is horrible. This is supposed to be a luxury residence, not a builder's yard.
I thought the exact same but possibly that is not their lot but that of an adjacent bussiness that they used for construction or share.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth