HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

    The Trillium on South Park in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1421  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 3:34 PM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I'm not sure why you quote my post. I didn't post the picture of the highrise. I merely stated that that high rise on that corner would block the sunlight and cast shadows on the gardens, which are protected by a provincial act.
http://nslegislature.ca/legc/statutes/halpub.htm the protected area is quite large
A different building with a setback and a narrower top might have less of an impact.
I'm aware of that law and what I was trying to say is that there could be a tall building put there, that when combined with good design, could be both tall and not affect the public gardens. It would just mean that the upper portions of the building would have to be narrow, so as to not cast that much shadow on the public gardens.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1422  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 2:00 PM
JustinMacD JustinMacD is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 310
They've been doing a lot of work on the surrounding sidewalk for this one over the past few days. Looks very nice, very wide sidewalk. Should be a very nice streetscape when it's finished.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1423  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 12:24 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,749
It is nice and wide, but the way it meets the building is not good at all. There are so many small little relatively steep slopes up to the building in order to meet the different grades. The second it gets below 0 it will be full of ice.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1424  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 1:49 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,661
I really like that they kept the two mature trees on South Park Street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1425  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 2:46 PM
RyeJay RyeJay is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I really like that they kept the two mature trees on South Park Street.
This really impressed me as well.
Trees take forever to grow, so I'm glad this developer left them alone.

The preservation of trees is one Halifax tradition of which I'm very proud.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1426  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 11:16 PM
pblaauw pblaauw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
The preservation of trees is one Halifax tradition of which I'm very proud.
It's too bad that tradition couldn't have been carried through on the new library site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1427  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 12:28 AM
RyeJay RyeJay is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
It's too bad that tradition couldn't have been carried through on the new library site.
This example, aside from angering me, confused me quite a bit because I thought there was plenty of room to keep most of those mature trees.

The library isn't being built that close to the road.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1428  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 4:52 PM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
This example, aside from angering me, confused me quite a bit because I thought there was plenty of room to keep most of those mature trees.

The library isn't being built that close to the road.
I wonder if the trees were just nearing the end of their lives?
We have the same problem out here, but we have a lot trees (I think they are furs??) that are nearing the end of their lives and are dying - since they typically grow for about 25 years. People don't seem to understand that and get upset when developers take them down so appeals end up at the appeal board over trees. One the other day was 4 hours on the removal of 5 trees; which the arborist for the developer proved were going to die in about 5 years time. He was going to replace them with new trees; but it does take time to mature.

Some trees do live way longer lives; but in the case of some species...they don't. I wonder if that was the case here? Short life cycle, take them down now before they die and become a hazard?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1429  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 8:01 PM
RyeJay RyeJay is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I wonder if the trees were just nearing the end of their lives?
We have the same problem out here, but we have a lot trees (I think they are furs??) that are nearing the end of their lives and are dying - since they typically grow for about 25 years. People don't seem to understand that and get upset when developers take them down so appeals end up at the appeal board over trees. One the other day was 4 hours on the removal of 5 trees; which the arborist for the developer proved were going to die in about 5 years time. He was going to replace them with new trees; but it does take time to mature.

Some trees do live way longer lives; but in the case of some species...they don't. I wonder if that was the case here? Short life cycle, take them down now before they die and become a hazard?
Even in an urban setting, the shortest-lived trees--such as birch and ash--should last around 40-50 years (much longer than this in the wild).

Firs, even in a city, can live for hundreds.

They may have been nearing the end of their life, but I doubt this because there was no mention of it. Most of the time, when city trees are close to death, groundskeepers will reveal their thoughts on when the trees should be taken down--given the physical evidence of the trees.

These trees were simply just destroyed.

But who knows...

In any event: I'm very excited for this library--and I hope they replace the trees in some form.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1430  
Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 8:28 PM
icetea93 icetea93 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 384
Anyone hear any word yet on what stores may be occupying the base of the Trillium?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1431  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 3:32 PM
ScovaNotian ScovaNotian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 199
I think the lighthouses have arrived and are currently being stored inside. It looks like they were serious about those.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1432  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 3:58 PM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
we built this city
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScovaNotian View Post
I think the lighthouses have arrived and are currently being stored inside. It looks like they were serious about those.
Ugh, what a waste of that corner. They might be half decent if they were copper and eventually had a patina... but aren't they like cheap sheet metal?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1433  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 4:04 PM
Empire's Avatar
Empire Empire is offline
Salty Town
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,815
Hopefully they won't put all of them up.

I think they should get rid of them and replace them something like this....Atlas:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zenmasterdod/4649053302/
__________________
Salty Town
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1434  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 6:58 PM
coolmillion's Avatar
coolmillion coolmillion is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 295
Overall I'm more optimistic about the Trillium than I was throughout most of the construction process but one thing I can't wrap my head around is the white trim on the ground floor. It looks cheap and out of context and will almost certainly wear and get dirty instantly. It almost looks like indoor moldings (!). In contrast, the Vic finishes will likely be much higher quality and more thoughtful because they were designed by Breakhouse.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1435  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 7:24 PM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
we built this city
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
Overall I'm more optimistic about the Trillium than I was throughout most of the construction process but one thing I can't wrap my head around is the white trim on the ground floor. It looks cheap and out of context and will almost certainly wear and get dirty instantly. It almost looks like indoor moldings (!). In contrast, the Vic finishes will likely be much higher quality and more thoughtful because they were designed by Breakhouse.
I think those trim sections are intended to have signage over top of them, so it might not end up being so bad.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1436  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 8:31 PM
coolmillion's Avatar
coolmillion coolmillion is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
I think those trim sections are intended to have signage over top of them, so it might not end up being so bad.
True... I'll try to withhold judgment until it's complete.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1437  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 3:40 AM
RyeJay RyeJay is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,131
I haven't seen the Trillium in person for a while: does it look as though they are nearing the end...or will they most likely extend the date?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1438  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2011, 6:56 PM
kph06's Avatar
kph06 kph06 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,662
Photo by me:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1439  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 3:30 AM
RyeJay RyeJay is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,131
Soon Very, very soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1440  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2011, 3:39 AM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
I think those trim sections are intended to have signage over top of them, so it might not end up being so bad.
I'd have to agree on this - it looks like they are using a concept similar to what is done in Calgary for fascia signs. They've defined the 'signable area' - so a fascia sign can be located in this area, so long as it meets the size restrictions for how big a fascia sign can be.

Considering this was done by DA, that should've been covered in the DA or have a refer back clause to the sign rules in the LUB.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:00 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.