HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 10:04 PM

Best restaurants in Vancouver, according to Zagat

Best restaurants in Vancouver, according to Zagat

NEW YORK – With the 2010 Winter Olympics approaching, Zagat has released its 2010 Vancouver Survey, covering 298 of the city’s finest restaurants, nightspots, attractions and hotels.

The Survey is based on the input of 2,721 local consumers, and spans venues across Vancouver, Whistler, Victoria and Vancouver Island. It shows that although locals are feeling the economic pinch, there is no shortage of good deals or new hot spots in Vancouver.

“The commercial influx of tourism expected with the Games will no doubt stimulate the dining and entertainment industries throughout the region,” said Zagat Survey CEO Tim Zagat. “We hope that our new guide will serve as a useful tool for both locals and visitors who want to experience all that Vancouver has to offer at this special time.”

Expanding Eats:

In preparation for the throngs of athletes, spectators and media, Vancouver has expanded its ever-growing culinary scene.

This year’s top-rated newcomer, Maenam on the West Side, promises a mix of “authentic, flavourful” Thai plates and “elegant service.” In addition, the city has welcomed a veritable “who’s who” of restaurant industry leaders, including New York’s Jean-Georges Vongerichten, with his Downtown Market by Jean-Georges and Daniel Boulud, who opened db Bistro Moderne and revitalized existing restaurant, Lumière.

Other exciting newcomers include affordable French Au Petit Chavignol, Downtown’s Cibo, West End’s Nook, and Les Faux Bourgeois on the East Side.

Bargain Dining:

Local diners feeling the economic pinch may be more attentive to prices (30%) and eating at less expensive places (24%), but there is no shortage of good deals in Vancouver.

Leading the way is this year’s Top Bang for the Buck, Nat’s New York Pizzeria, a West End and West Side eatery that offers “superb” pizza at a modest price.

The presence of prix fixe menus at Cru and Pied-à-Terre will continue to entice weary spenders, as will Dine Out Vancouver, which has been pushed back until after the Winter Games. The small-plates trend is reverting back to Spanish-style tapas, highlighted by newcomer Mis Trucos, newly opened (December ‘09) Café Barcelona and soon-to-open Judas Goat.

West Side:

The West Side is the focus for new restaurants, starting with the previously mentioned Maenam (Top Newcomer).

Also on the West Side is the “local favourite” La Brasserie and Trattoria Italian Kitchen, a lower-priced sibling to Downtown’s Italian Kitchen. These affordable newcomers, along with aforementioned prix fixe menus, explain why 40% of surveyors say they’re finding better dining deals.

Since the guide went to print, Fuel has closed and reopened as refuel, with a more moderately priced menu. Elsewhere in the city are Granville Street’s The Edge and eco-friendly The Refinery, as well as Lebanese siblings Nuba Restaurant (Gastown) and Nuba Café (Downtown). The top ten Best Buys (in order of rating) include:

1.Nat’s New York Pizzeria
2.Pajo’s
3.Go Fish!
4.Vera’s Burger
5.Tomahawk Barbecue
6.Cafe Medina
7.Saravanaa Bhavan
8.Nuba Restaurant/Café
9.Vij’s Rangoli
10.Gyoza King

This year’s winner for Top Food is La Belle Auberge, located in Ladner and described as one of the “best-kept secrets” with “world-class” cuisine from chef Bruno Marti.

Following behind are Vij’s (winner for Most Popular in this Survey), Cioppino’s, Le Crocodile and ToJo’s. Queen Elizabeth Park serves as the backdrop for this year’s Top Decor winner, Seasons in the Park, and Bishop’s takes home the award for Top Service.

The full list of restaurant winners is as follows:

Vancouver Victoria/Vancouver Is. Whistler
Top Food La Belle Auberge Panache Bear Foot Bistro
Top Decor Seasons in the Park Empress Room Edgewater Lodge
Top Service Bishop’s Hastings House Bear Foot Bistro
Most Popular Vij’s Keg Steakhouse & Bar Keg Steakhouse & Bar

Plan Ahead: As an expected 2.3 million attendees will descend on Vancouver by mid-February, locals and visitors should plan for changing traffic patterns, enhanced security zones and extra travel time when maneuvering the city. Keeping this in mind, anyone who wants to make reservations over the phone would be wise to call ahead.

full article/source: http://www.vancouverite.com/2009/12/...ding-to-zagat/

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 10:06 PM

Sadly, I have never been to any of those 10.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 10:14 PM

i've been to 3 - go fish, pajos and veras - lol the cheapest ones

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 10:25 PM
In Love With YVRthing

Tojo's is crazy good sushi but it gets to that point where you're at diminishing returns: there is sushi 90% as good as Tojo's in Vancouver for 1/3rd the price. Depends on what you're looking for. Having said that, go if you have the chance

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 2:28 AM

Interesting. La Belle Auberge has been around for ever, but I still haven't gone.

Why does Vera's always rate so highly? Splitz on Main has better burgers. I was shocked after stepping into a Red Robin after 20 years to find that they had better burgers than Vera's!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 4:34 AM

Cool

I've been a regular @ Nat's since it opened the pizza is fine but rarely exceptional.

Go Fish the specials are often delicious as is the soup and fried fish but the fries are so/so at best.

Pajo's is Hit 'n Miss.

Saravanaa Bhavan is a chain and it shows can be decent but overall stodgy.

Nuba too is Hit 'n Miss haven't been for a while-they started charging $0.75 to add hot sauce to a Falafel wrap which I think is ridiculous, not the price the idea of offering it free for years then one day charging 15% of the total bill for a condiment.

The others I wouldn't bother with too much choice in this city.

Zagat itself is a paragon of mediocrity.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 5:44 AM
Site 8 Lives

I love the Tomahawk for the ambience/character - but is the food that special??

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 6:11 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Gyoza's okay... I'm not really sure why it's on the list.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 6:27 AM
Shoebox Dweller

2.3 million people coming here for the Olympics? Really? I figured 1/10 of that, max!

I've been to Nuba, but that's about all. Quite good, but it makes me sad that they have no meat when I'm there. I'm surprised that Chambar isn't on there. Still the best food I've ever had.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 6:34 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I'm sorry but that is one of the worst written articles I've read lately, the fact I don't agree with the list doesn't help but I'd be more willing to believe it if it were written properly.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 6:51 AM

zagat can apparently make or break restaurants in new york

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining