HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 7:26 PM
welcome to the madness

Buffalo | Innovation Hub @ Riverbend

Hoping this is a game changer the way the relocation of Lackawanna Steel was for the area over 100 years ago:

From today's Buffalo News:

Quote:
By Stephen T. Watson | News Staff Reporter | @buffaloscribe | Google+
on November 21, 2013 - 11:40 AM, updated November 21, 2013 at 1:47 PM

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...firms-20131121

In the largest down payment on his Buffalo billion-dollar commitment, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo this morning announced the creation of a clean-energy research campus on 90 acres of land along the Buffalo River that will include two tenants investing $750 million apiece to create a total of 850 jobs. The initiative will be dubbed Buffalo High-Tech Manufacturing Innovation Hub @ RiverBend.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 4:00 AM

I wasn't aware of this. Good for Buffalo! This is 1 city that I would really like to see re-invent itself. Seems like since the severe winter of 1977, the city has had a horrible reputation and blunt of many jokes. Hopefully, this investment is just the start of something big & positive for Buffalo. I'll try to keep myself abreast of this. Please, keep all of us updated on this, too.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 12:24 AM
welcome to the madness

So this project officially broke ground yesterday and will become the largest solar panel manufacturing facility when it opens in 2016. It will employ nearly 1500 people with another 1500 jobs being created by local suppliers. If Elon Musk's vision pans out, this could get even larger as solar continues to ramp up across the country. The best part from my point of view is this regenerates a section of the Buffalo River that was once a large steel plant--Republic Steel. It shut down in the early 80's and has been a brownfield ever since. If you google Riverbend Buffalo you'll see the remains of an old rail bridge--this is part of a ROW that extends into downtown to the historic DL&W terminal. This terminal is the southern end of our light rail line. Again, future vision here, but if the new Bills stadium is built close to downtown, we have a ready made ROW for a light rail extension these areas that could tie everything together nicely.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 12:32 AM
The Cat's Meow

Updated video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4xMh89Ex3o

Truly great news for the area. I currently work not far from this site and this land has been begging for a large scale reuse for a long time.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development