HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 1:33 AM

Donating at the cash register

A couple of times over the past week the Globe and Mail has reported on how some consumers are annoyed with retailers asking for donations to various charities at the cash register.

I have no problem with these requests unto themselves. However, I've noticed that the LCBO has been asking for donations to Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto. I don't know about everyone else, but I'd prefer to donate to a hospital in my own community (Kingston General Hospital) that my friends and neighbours actually use. Or CHEO, which is the closest childrens' hospital.

Does anyone here ever donate at the cash register? Or does it bother you?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 1:43 AM

The way I see it, I'm going to be donating to charity one way or the other, so why should I give the money to some company to donate on my behalf and give that company the benefit of a charitable tax deduction when I could just use the deduction myself? If a company wants to be charitable, let it donate its own money. Why should I pay for some company's charitable donation?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 1:48 AM
Registered Drug User

When they ask, I say "no."

There's no need for awkwardness because everyone knows it's a shameless shakedown. The targets are more or less captive, in that they are cornered and asked to make a decision on a charity in a matter of seconds. Usually the word "child" is involved to make it seem like a moral obligation.

But nobody in line behind is going to judge you for refusing to donate, because the gambit is so obviously brazen and unethical. It's a sham. Of course, anyone in line who would judge someone at a cashier refusing to do a snap donation has a brain the size of a walnut anyway, so it's pointless worrying about what the other punters might think.

Q: Would you like to donate one dollar to...?
A: No.

Simple. Quick. The cashier is actually relieved at a decisive response like this, as repeatedly asking the question can be stressful for them, knowing as they do what a crock it is.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 2:14 AM
BANNED

I'm generally against this donation type, it just doesn't make sense as a society.

It's like having a leaky dam and asking everyone in town to donate a piece of chewing gum to block the dam.

After learning how much autism research money was wasted on vaccine nonsense(a total pseudo-science) I'm very jaded to any type of donation like this.

I'm much more in favor of structured efforts.

Autistic people for example(obviously my primary group of concern) aren't ever gonna get the funds they need, what really helps are people that help to reduce the barriers to employment-independent living etc.

That of course is just something that I'm connected to.

But almost anything you look at, societal involvement is often more productive than giving a bit of pocket change.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 2:45 AM
GO FLAMES GO

I don't like it but do give ... the one time I didn't and I remember feeling guilty afterwards .... the way I justify it is even though I know there are people profiting from part of my donation there are people that are benefiting that truly need it.... if I pass up a chance to help I just don't feel good about it, and I'm sure the people who cook up this scam know they are imposing ..... anyway I do like the 5 and 10 dollar pre-packaged food bank packs ...

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 2:47 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I usually say yes. Most of the time it's only a dollar and for a local charity, or the local chapter of some Canadian one.

The only time I caught got off guard was at Sobey's once when they asked if I wanted to donate $2. I did, but I thought... whut? It's supposed to be $1?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
When they ask, I say "no."

There's no need for awkwardness because everyone knows it's a shameless shakedown. The targets are more or less captive, in that they are cornered and asked to make a decision on a charity in a matter of seconds. Usually the word "child" is involved to make it seem like a moral obligation.

But nobody in line behind is going to judge you for refusing to donate, because the gambit is so obviously brazen and unethical. It's a sham. Of course, anyone in line who would judge someone at a cashier refusing to do a snap donation has a brain the size of a walnut anyway, so it's pointless worrying about what the other punters might think.

Q: Would you like to donate one dollar to...?
A: No.

Simple. Quick. The cashier is actually relieved at a decisive response like this, as repeatedly asking the question can be stressful for them, knowing as they do what a crock it is.
I just say "No, thank you". The idea of any awkwardness eludes me.

It would be tempting, however, to reply that yes, I would like to donate $100 but would require a tax receipt, it they'd kindly oblige.....

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
The way I see it, I'm going to be donating to charity one way or the other, so why should I give the money to some company to donate on my behalf and give that company the benefit of a charitable tax deduction when I could just use the deduction myself? If a company wants to be charitable, let it donate its own money. Why should I pay for some company's charitable donation?
my thoughts exactly, why should customers or people in general pay to a charity for a company that has more than enough money to donate itself

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
my thoughts exactly, why should customers or people in general pay to a charity for a company that has more than enough money to donate itself
I find the entire thing silly. You donate one $1.00, then write your name on some little card that gets tapped up on the wall of the store.

I am not looking for my grocery store to pick the charity that I will donate to. I would rather have them completely out of the entire process. If the grocery store wants to inform its customers on the good work its favourite charity is doing instead of printing little signs to scribble my name and decorate its store, why not print a flyer describing the work the charity is doing and slip it into each bag.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 7:57 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

I understand that the stores do these campaigns to show that they participate in the communities but it doesn't have the effect when the donation gambit is obligatory for stores. There is nothing unique about them and the fun ― if there ever was any to be found in a spontaneous and unique campaign ― is lost in the ubiquity and growing persistence; desperation.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 8:27 AM
sick transit, gloria

I always just say "No". As Rousseau said, the cashiers are fine with hearing this.

I really don't like how stores do this personally. Just how I don't like how I'm pressured into donating to the United Way at work (which I don't). I donate to a hospital in Toronto of my own accord and I'm happy to do that. I don't feel the need to donate to anything else.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 11:55 AM
Closed account

The only exception I make is places where you can leave change and then I discard my smaller change in the donation box. I always say no to the $1 or $2 donation at checkout. I personally strongly dislike the sanctioned Salvation Army shakedowns in grocery stores and other public locations. It would be unconscionable for me to donate to them and yet I definitely feel like there's much stronger social pressure to do just that. Why a religious group is allowed by a grocery store to petition for money on their premises is beyond me.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 3:58 PM

This tactic is obnoxious. Sure, Safeway. I'll give you $2 so you guys can cut a cheque to charity X and tell everybody what good guys you are.

I did it once or twice when it was new (to me, at least) but these days the answer is always negative.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This tactic is obnoxious. Sure, Safeway. I'll give you $2 so you guys can cut a cheque to charity X and tell everybody what good guys you are.

I did it once or twice when it was new (to me, at least) but these days the answer is always negative.
It annoys me no end. Why should I give a corporation anything at all so that they can then claim a tax deduction, if the money even goes where they say it does?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 5:07 PM
I am a typical

Thunder Bay's Superstore asks for people to donate $2 to a local charity that distributes food to regional food banks to ensure all of them remain properly stocked up, so I usually say yes. It probably adds up to about $20 per year, I don't get a tax receipt for that but the savings would be minimal anyway.

A lot of people that say they would prefer to just donate actual money to a charity don't actually get around to it, which is part of why these kinds of fundraisers are so popular now.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 7:25 PM
digital b0y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
Well said

a political policy characterized by inertia and antipathy to change

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 3:16 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Businesses claim a tax break off the donations made by their customers. Fucking shameless.

And how about the dreaded "United Way" Shakedown every goddamed fucking year at many workplaces? The endless coercion. The push by the boss, the canvassers. It is almost impossible to opt out when your colleagues are making their lists. Every year the goal gets higher. WHY THE FUCK IS THIS PUSHED SO MUCH?!?!?!?

I believe in charity, and I am a supporter of several causes. But they should be mine, and mine alone to choose, without the fucking pressure.

5 places in a row this morning had the sally ann guys right by the cash registers. ENOUGH!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 4:22 AM

I'm not overally annoyed at the cashes...I just say yay or nay..Sometimes I give a toonie, sometime not..I'm indifferent, and so are the cashiers to tell you the truth. It's easy and there are no dramas or rage triggers really..At least in my experiences.

I do agree with others with those freaking workplace shakedowns however..The worse is when the boss or owner have their own charitable cause he or she is pushing because they are on the board or has vested interest or something..You almost sense that he or she checks afterwards to see who gave or not. I agree that any charitable causes should be your call..My wife and I do the CHEO dream house lottery every year, and ya there is a grand prize of a mansion, but we don't bank on it...At the end we just tell each other that that $$$ went to a great cause...Having said that, if we win this year everybody is invited..Bailey's for the missus and Coronas for me though..ha (to self:No worries they will forget I said this come draw time next month)

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 4:34 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned those brats who hijack your groceries by bagging them expecting you to donate to their stupid hockey team, or in one case a trip to China, if you want to go to fucking China go to a fucking travel agent, don't expect me to help pay for your trip

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 5:00 AM

i tell them at the mlcc my income tax is a donation to the older staff

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada