HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Grant Park 3 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 8:40 AM
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumly_chgoman View Post
I agree..this is a good point...with such imposing height right at GP edge ther e is little impetus to grow behind them
Did Aon and prudential and BCBS inhibit anything growing behind them? Of course not, it's called the market. Likewise, the market will decide whatever goes behind these grant park towers.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 9:26 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
I agree..this is a good point...with such imposing height right at GP edge ther e is little impetus to grow behind them

I don't know if that is necessarily true. Though I would agree that it may not likely to be for a while buf if the near south side and Central Station ever gets near the cache that Illinois Center does then there may be an impetus to do so. Who would have though that someone would want to build something like Aqua or MO right in line behind tall buildings.

There may be other factors that prevent building tall behind this cluster such as available lots or not enough demand but the buildings themselves I don't think will be insurmountable obstacle. They may just as likely spur growth due to the changes to south Grant Park and increased neighborhood vibrancy and retail amenities that all together could increase additional demand as take away from it.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 1:40 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
When flying into Chicago from the east or west 5 years from now, the skyline will seem twice as big,
That because with buildings over 600 ft...it will have

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 3:49 PM

One final shot

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 4:13 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Thanks Bvic

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 4:31 PM

Originally Posted by 10023
Quote:

I personally think that the southern streetwall would have been better with shorter buildings that formed a consistent wall. More square structures, that didn't have space between them just a few floors up. Then you could have the 800-1100 footers come in the second row, and capitalize on the views for more buildings. But more importantly, it would give some texture and depth rather than just a row of buildings with nothing behind them. With these behemoths in place, the lots behind won't be attractive for tall towers.
Quote:

I'll have to disagree, only because the lots behind the streetwall are already filled. If the master plan had been done correctly during the initial concept, maybe the concept of lower buildings along Roosevelt with taller buiuldings behind them would have been possible.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 7, 2007 at 11:13 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 7:31 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
You know, I've come to decide that the undulating facades are tacky. The sail part is great, but it would be so much stronger with a blocky portion next to it.
This is exactly what I've been thinking since the B&W renderings were shown. While I like the sail half of the building, the undulating half doesn't seem to fit and will probably look clumsy as part of the southern wall for years to come. A flat/blocky half would better suit the sail portion IMO.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 7:36 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Now that they're together on my wall... GP3 has some real nice intereaction with the Intercontinental Hotel North tower.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2007, 10:35 PM

Fu*k yea!

I like this design it has a asian feel to it, but I do think it will look better on the corner of michigan and roosvelt with the eastern elevation facing michigan so that curve that extrudes would over hang michigan, also make it 900 ft.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 6:06 AM
BANNED

This isn't tied to these developments, but they are supposed to be replacing that rickety old bridge over the tracks at that station right now, I can't remember if they have started or not yet.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 7:23 AM
Contemplator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
This is exactly what I've been thinking since the B&W renderings were shown. While I like the sail half of the building, the undulating half doesn't seem to fit and will probably look clumsy as part of the southern wall for years to come. A flat/blocky half would better suit the sail portion IMO.
Yup, gotta agree with this. GP3 is probably about as "out there" as Chicago ought to go, BUT - that design works better when it's a subtle discovery behind something else, not when it's doing the total in-your-face routine as currently designed.

My problem with the streetwall is that it is not a wall; it's a comb. Tall & thin is really nice and works well within some dense height, but building / gap / building / gap / building / gap building / street just looks weird. There is zero room for error on a street wall.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 12:26 PM
Chicagotom SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
This isn't tied to these developments, but they are supposed to be replacing that rickety old bridge over the tracks at that station right now, I can't remember if they have started or not yet.
After years of delays, Springfield released funds to start the project. Metra constructed a temporary worksite at Indiana and 11th Street with an entrance at Roosevelt last spring. 2 phases. First build an 11th Street station that connects with the Beaux Arts Bridge and then demolish the existing bridge.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 2:16 PM

Are these towers a done deal? It was never quite clear to me that they are. Does anyone know?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 2:29 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haworthia View Post
Are these towers a done deal? It was never quite clear to me that they are. Does anyone know?
Are they built? No.

They're just all part of the same development.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 3:44 PM

Yeah, I have to agree with Honte and Spyguy. The wavy elements feel like a fad, rather than great architecture that will hold up for the long haul.
Even the sail element doesn't feel right in the overall render of the streetwall.
That outward bulge should be at the end of a wall, not in the middle of it.

It doesn't look bad, but it could, and should, look a lot better.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 10:28 PM

If the city doesn't have the money to build a park over the train tracks there, what about letting the developers of this South Loop location build it themselves and let them make it a private park for their residents, a golf course, additional buildings, whatever. We would all benefit from it being done, even if we cannot wander through there any time we want. The views will be improved and train riders down there will be somewhat shielded from the weather. Those who have used the Randolph / Millennium Park station before and after reconstruction know how much the benefit if being out of the weather can be.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 7, 2007 at 11:12 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 12:04 AM
Chicago Enthusiast

what are some of your opinions on what you'd like #4 to look like?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 12:25 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmia View Post
Those who have used the Randolph / Millennium Park station before and after reconstruction know how much the benefit if being out of the weather can be.
Huh? There is no station there.

The original PD obligated Central Station to build a "shell" for a new Roosevelt Road station south of Roosevelt. At the time it was thought there might be a significant hotel and office component. But Metra and the city have decided to build a new platform in the current location at 11th Place.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 2:12 AM
Contemplator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
what are some of your opinions on what you'd like #4 to look like?
Well, in order to blend with the overall conservative and understated look of the Grant Park walls, I'd really love for them to avoid the all-glass look. Actually Park Tower would look just great there. Kind of a big brother to the Columbian. I'm just not sure that blue glass is going to stand the test of time, unless you throw in some good detail like 340 on the Park.

Overall, the more I think about it, the real problem here is that there's just nothing south or southwest of these buildings. The lack of massing leads to that "build tall because it's cool, not because it's necessary" feel that you see in some other cities.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 2:50 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pru View Post
Overall, the more I think about it, the real problem here is that there's just nothing south or southwest of these buildings. The lack of massing leads to that "build tall because it's cool, not because it's necessary" feel that you see in some other cities.
^ I imagine that this will change over time. The Hancock is surrounded now by a forest of highrises, although it took decades for that transformation to happen.

From how it appears, there is no better indication of the city's vision for the future of this part of town than its approval (and encouragement) of pretty tall buildings along the south wall of Grant Park.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive