HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 5:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsider View Post
I'm pretty sure its not an act of charity, he'd make good money on it. If he makes a 5% profit selling 200 units at an average of 300k each, thats a $3,000,000 profit.
But if he put that $50,000,000 in a money market account at 5.5% for two years he would make $5.5 million.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 6:08 AM
Kicking a** since 1907

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanpdx View Post
But if he put that $50,000,000 in a money market account at 5.5% for two years he would make $5.5 million.

Thats very true, though one thing to consider is that with these numbers we pulled out of our asses he would make $3,000,000 using THE BANK'S money. I don't think it would pay off to borrow $50,000,000 and put it in a money market.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 4:11 PM

That's a pretty good plan Zilfondel, but I would instead of ripping out the Lloyd Center, rip the roof off, bury the garages, blow open the side to the park, and add housing on top of the mall in point towers on various corners...similiar to Horton Plaza in San Diego on steroids. Being there is so much retail already there, if the mall was renovated to be an inclusive part of the community, it could be a huge asset!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 4:27 PM
BANNED

Well, look at it another way. If he put up $5,000,000 in equity and borrowed $45,000,000 of the BANK's money like he would do here but instead built a building in another location and made a more common 20% gross profit he would make $12 million instead of $3. The $9 million is charity.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 8:29 PM

"..,rip the roof off,.." DaMan

Are you saying return it to an open air walkway mall again? I wonder how many people out there preferred the mall when it was open to the air, compared to what it is today. It's nice enough inside, the old configuration definitely had some weakpoints, but the new really lost some wonderful essentials that the old had.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 8:40 PM

^that is exactly what I'm saying, although I personally wasn't old enough to remember what it was like opened up.

Wouldn't it spectacular to walk into Nordstrom and see a 30 story point tower looming over head? We have come a long way in design and I believe through shades and reconfigurations, the Lloyd Center could be much better opened up than the suburbanites Bridgeport 'Village' wet dream.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 8:43 PM

I shopped, and worked, in Lloyd Center when it was not covered. It got pretty cold and damp. I remember the ice cold winds that whipped through the concourses. I realize that the same wind/temperature concerns the downtown PDX shopper but it seemed worse in the mall. I think the people who own the mall would not be supportive of removing the roof. They want to try to remain competitive with Clackamas TC and Washington Square.

I do feel that the parking structures, and overall feeling of the mall is too fortress/bunker like. Maybe more retail store fronts actually facing the streets would be of help minimize this feeling. I think office/condo/hotel towers on top of the parking structures is a great idea...very similar to what the Galleria's in Houston and Dallas have done. This can be done with the glass roof remaining. The parking structures might have to be upgraded for the towers but it could prove to be an exciting concept for the district.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 10:15 PM

Project news

plenty of stuff going on it Lloyd thought it deserved its own thread

block 45 redevelopment construction start 2008???

http://www.pdc.us:80/ura/convention_center/block45.asp

and it just found this on GBD architects's website. its called the ashforth megablock development plan

heres what it looks like now.

there also the headquarters hotel the cascadia building and the lloyd crossing plan, so if anyone has any news on any of lloyd's projects post it here.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 10:50 PM

The GBD project has been stalled/dead for years now unfortunately, so has the PDC's crossing project.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 6:59 AM

what is this project?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 1:21 PM

Convention hotel: Risky or essential

Metro - Councilors will weigh five options for attracting more Oregon

Friday, August 10, 2007
RYAN FRANK
The Oregonian Staff

For 20 years, Portland has talked -- and talked some more -- about planting a high-rise hotel next to the Oregon Convention Center to attract more conventions of attorneys, nursery owners and stamp collectors.

Now, leaders at Portland's regional government, Metro, say they're about to make a yes-no vote on whether to build the hotel.

They say they're serious this time.

Metro officials Tuesday will host the first in a six-week series of public meetings on the hotel's fate.

Consultants are about to drop on council members' desks new studies that lay out the hotel's potential benefits. They'll use the studies to explore five options, from a 600-room hotel owned by taxpayers to simply coming up with a new, scaled-back mission for the convention center, which is managed by Metro.

This hotel, which would cost roughly $150 million to build, has garnered so much government attention because it's expected to be a driver for the regional economy. Supporters say a hotel that could accommodate large groups would attract new out-of-towners who will spend their money at Portland's restaurants and clubs while visiting, and potentially move here after falling in love with the state.

But to get that hotel, the public will have to help pay. It's not clear yet how much taxpayers would be at risk if the hotel failed and became a drain on government coffers.

Why might the public have to help build the hotel?

Convention center hotels include extra amenities, such as meeting space and ballrooms, that most business or resort hotels don't require.

"That's why the private sector doesn't want to finance it," said Rod Park, a Metro council member.

The hotel has been in the city's plans since the late 1980s.

In 2004, Portland's urban renewal agency, the Portland Development Commission, asked developers for detailed cost and design proposals. In 2005, it picked developers Ashforth Pacific of Portland and Garfield Traub Development of Dallas, Texas, to build the hotel. The commission owns property for a possible hotel near the convention center.

The city explored a privately owned hotel with public subsidies. But the size of taxpayer help required for construction -- $35 million to $90 million -- seemed more than City Hall could stomach.

Metro took over the hotel planning this year and hired its own consultants to look at a government-owned hotel that would be privately operated.

Construction would be cheaper because Metro has a top-notch bond rating and can borrow money at lower interest rates than private investors.

Tourism industry leaders have lobbied hard for a publicly owned hotel, arguing that Portland loses millions in convention spending because it lacks the hotel. But the financial and political risks behind a $150 million government-owned hotel are huge.

Some hoteliers and developers have lined up against what they see as a publicly backed competitor. Lobbyist Len Bergstein of Northwest Strategies, who's working for the hotelier group, says the convention center hotel is too risky and he calls most of the consultants' rosy forecasts "pure nonsense."

Metro Council members -- like City Hall before them -- have been doubtful so far. "I would characterize the council as being skeptical like any good steward should be," Park said.

The other options Metro will explore are:

A smaller, 400-room hotel, privately owned and built with taxpayer subsidies

No public financing for a hotel, but increased financial incentives to attract conventions through subsidies for shuttles to more distant hotels or meals

No hotel financing, but a fresh look at the convention center's long-term financial needs without a major hotel adjacent to the center

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 3:12 PM

Just a note on the block 45 development: it's due to begin in 2010 (according to PDC website, and rememberances from articles).

There's also the Bee Car Rental site, which I don't recall whether anything is happening on there.

And of course, the 100 Multnomah site (which in the Oregonian panorama is said to start in "first half of 2008").

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 3:14 PM

On a separate note: what happened with the Ashforth Megablock site? Why didn't it go forward?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 3:18 PM

I have a sinking feeling they will build the 400 room private hotel. That is too small and can't compete with Denver, Austin, and by the end of next year Phoenix with there large public properties. Austin's is supposed to be doing really well, now Marriott is building nearby because of the increased demand.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 3:23 PM

Well, with such a saturated market, it might be wiser to build the smaller hotel.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 3:26 PM

Saturated market? I am a travel agent, I have had to fight to find rooms for my clients for the last month or month and a half, everything is soldout.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 4:18 PM

^I do a lot of the leg work for our conferences and indeed, I have been having troubles securing fairly large blocks of rooms for what I used to think was a reasonable price. Now if can get within $25 a night of what we used to block, I consider myself lucky. The hotel market in Portland is pretty tight.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 4:25 PM

After nearly 20 years, HQ Hotel still in limbo
Daily Journal of Commerce
by Kennedy Smith
08/10/2007

It’s been nearly two decades since the Portland Development Commission identified a convention center hotel as its top goal to bring money and tourism to the area. Since then, the project has been intermittently studied, put on the back burner, sent out to bid and handed over to different agencies in town.

David Woolson, the new director of the Metropolitan Exposition Recreation Commission, says it’s still anybody’s guess whether the hotel will happen. Since he was hired four months ago, he has focused almost solely on working out the details of the yet-to-be-built Headquarters Hotel.

In February, regional government Metro took over the project from the Portland Development Commission. MERC’s role, Woolson says, is to advise Metro about whether building the hotel is a good idea.

His experience as an entertainment lawyer and director of the Oregon Film & Video Office comes in handy, he says.

“A lot of what goes on here is entertainment-related,” he says. “I am able to be a resource as far as my deal-making background.”

DJC: Heather Olson (MERC’s capital projects manager) told me you were diving head-first into the Headquarters Hotel issue. Where are you with it?

David Woolson: The Headquarters Hotel project has been talked about for 19 years. Before Metro took the project, this was a PDC project in earnest, really for about two years, where they did a variety of feasibility studies. In November of last year, the PDC came to the conclusion that they couldn’t make a deal under the private ownership model.

DJC: That’s when they switched to a public ownership model.

Woolson: Yes. When you look at the private equity that was being put up, with the public subsidy they had to pay, there was at least a $20 million gap. It wasn’t voted down by anyone; they just couldn’t make the numbers work. At that point, the decision was made that, since there was a lot of work done already, Metro would take it from there, exploring a public ownership model, which has been used in other markets like Denver, Austin and Chicago.

DJC: When you were at the Planning Commission (in June), one of the commissioners asked whether this is about filling a $20 million gap. Are you having to start from square one on financing on this?

Woolson: There was a square-one financing. The OCC operating is a separate issue.

But, if we do more convention business because of a headquarters hotel, does it help the OCC? Yes. It’s good business. Should we build a headquarter hotel solely to help the finances of the OCC? I don’t think so. It’s a by-product; it’s a secondary issue. The evaluation, the analysis, is really on its own. Does this thing make sense as a feasible project?

DJC: What’s the answer?

Woolson: We’re getting the data on this as far as the need, the demand, the economics, etc.

DJC: It’s 19 years in the making. Why has it taken so long?

Woolson: I don’t have an answer for that.

I haven’t been working on it 19 years. I’ve been working on it since May 1. For Metro, President David Bragdon made it very clear when I came in that we are not going to spend months and years talking about the Headquarters Hotel. We are going to very quickly gather the data and make a decision. I can’t address what’s happened before, but Metro took this on in February and will make a decision by the end of September.

DJC: Do you get a sense that the public even cares whether this happens or not?

Woolson: I don’t know. My sense is that they should because the fact is that as far as the tourism industry, as far as the convention business, it’s great business for Portland and for Oregon.

It was Tom McCall’s rallying cry. They come, they spend, they go home. It is also a gateway to introduce people into the community as far as other tourism, other business relocation, coming back for tourism-related things. The convention business is good business for the community.

DJC: With public financing and private management, is it unfair to private hotels in this area to compete in that way?

Woolson: One of the things that (various studies)will address is what the impact on the local hotel industry will be. The experience in other markets is that it’s a dip in occupancy as rooms come in the market, and then those are absorbed and it can induce demand.

But I understand that certain hoteliers raise that question. It’s a fair question. I don’t have a specific answer for it.

DJC: In talking with hoteliers, what are their concerns and how do you quell them?

Woolson: Understand my position on this thing. I’m not here to advocate or sell a hotel. It’s my job as been asked by Metro to evaluate whether this is a good tool for the market as an economic development driver to help maximize economic impact. Then the question is, is it feasible? It’s really presenting the data of what we have found out. I am not, my job is not to sell this Headquarter Hotel. It doesn’t make sense. It’s helping to make the right decision.

DJC: Do you feel pressure that the only answer you’re going to be able to give is, “Yes, this is feasible”?

Woolson: No. I don’t feel that, because I don’t think we’ve accomplished much if, at the end of the day, we’ve got it built but it’s not the right decision, and two or three years later we regret it. We need to come to the right conclusion up front.

DJC: Will there be fallout if Metro does decide that it is not feasible?

Woolson: I don’t know how to answer that. The fact is that while there are some hoteliers that are concerned about the impact, a fair concern, at the same time there are a lot of folks that very much feel when conventions are in town that’s a positive thing. It’s a mix, in fairness.

Will some folks that have been advocating this for 19 years say we need this? I can’t really speak for them. That isn’t my job. It is purely to ask how we get through this complicated issue and come to the right decision, and we’re helping Metro do that.
http://www.djcoregon.com/viewStory.c...29921&userID=1

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 5:04 PM

By a saturated market, I am referring to the Convention business. It seems that numerous cities around the country are competing for a slice of this business (which, a while ago, I read Las Vegas being a national favorite), many with a head start on Portland. I am sorry for any confusion.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2007, 10:43 AM

portland does have a lot of hotel space downtown. more than our fair share. are they afraid that a huge convention hotel will rob downtown hotels of business?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland