HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 2:39 PM
Community Guy

EDMONTON | Paramount | ~120m | 34 floors

https://twitter.com/andreahuncar/sta...986368/photo/1

If there’s a city that could learn from Saint John’s Paramount Theatre, it’s Edmonton, which, though much larger, faces the same problem: There simply aren’t enough people living downtown.

If Edmonton’s downtown office market picks up, says Procura’s Mr. Schluessel, then the residential market might follow suit. With another 5,000 or 10,000 residential units, a cinema operator might be able to make a case to lease the property.

But, he says, “it’s very valuable land per square foot. It has a very high density allocation to it, and I don’t you think you could ever make the numbers work renting it out on its own merit.”

And where Saint John has the Imperial to make a case against restoring the Paramount across King’s Square, the resuscitation of Edmonton’s Paramount is handicapped by historic theatres operating other neighbourhoods away from downtown, like the Princess Theatre on Whyte Avenue.

On top of that, Mr. Schluessel bought the Paramount land parcel with a redevelopment plan in mind, and he simply doesn’t expect a long-term lease offer from a theatre, even if the office market stays flat.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle17199644/

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 2:51 PM
arf

*Ring ring*

"Hello, Mr. Schluessel? Yes, it's Winnipeg from 1988 calling. We want our building back."

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 2:55 PM
Community Guy

Hahahaha... I saw that too.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 8:06 PM
Community Guy

For sale $15,000,000.00

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive