HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 12:00 AM

Is The Ramona considered workforce housing? I am only asking for reference, because between the Sitka and the Ramona, I am not sure of any other area "affordable" types of housing.

Just trying to think about how this affects truly middle class families where the market rates ($2.50 / sq ft and up) begin to get unreasonable.

It is really hard to find a good website that describes this in practical terms.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
Is The Ramona considered workforce housing? I am only asking for reference, because between the Sitka and the Ramona, I am not sure of any other area "affordable" types of housing.

Just trying to think about how this affects truly middle class families where the market rates ($2.50 / sq ft and up) begin to get unreasonable.

It is really hard to find a good website that describes this in practical terms.
This might help you: http://www.homeforward.org/find-a-ho.../am-i-eligible

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 4:42 PM

Quote:

the Ramona was built as workforce housing. 60% of the median income was the limit to be able to rent there. both that and the Sitka were developed by the same guy, Ed McNamara.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 6:30 PM

Cailes, were you asking if the Sitka and the Ramona represent the only affordable housing in the Pearl? If you were, the answer is no; there are many other affordable buildings in the neighborhood.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 4:34 AM

Yeah I know that there are other places available.

I suppose I was more curious about the incomce limits. I've read 120% listed as a threshold for eligibility which opens up a much larger swath of potential renters. I do not believe that income option exists downtown in the affordable housing realm.

Its difficult to find black and white info about it and not being involved with that industry makes it more confusing.

thanks for the answers guys

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 6:50 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
I suppose I was more curious about the incomce limits. I've read 120% listed as a threshold for eligibility which opens up a much larger swath of potential renters. I do not believe that income option exists downtown in the affordable housing realm.
Well, if I'm not mistaken, Sky3 is going to have studios for the 80% income limit and under, renting for around $871:

Quote:
While most of the units of Sky3 Place would rent at market rate – as high as $2,250 a month for a two-bedroom apartment – 20 percent would rent at an affordable rate for individuals earning 80 percent of the area’s median family income – $38,850 for an individual or $55,500 for a family of four. Those apartments would range in rent from $871 a month for a studio to $1,118 for a two-bedroom unit. SOURCE
But income limits at or over 100% of median income would be market rate rent, wouldn't it?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Well, if I'm not mistaken, Sky3 is going to have studios for the 80% income limit and under, renting for around $871:

But income limits at or over 100% of median income would be market rate rent, wouldn't it?
Why? There is no gurarantee that the other renters in the market have a median income that is similar to the median income of Portland, or Oregon. That's the whole reason for subsidized housing.

If the median Pearl District renter makes 300% of median income for Portland, a cap at 100% of median income would be quite restrictive.

They're doing this in kind of an odd way for Portland, though, by making the subsidized housing units instead of entire buildings. Might make it tougher to actually get the market rate for the non-subsidized apartments, since it may feel like you're subsidizing other people's low rent (whether the feeling is justified or not) ...

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 2:32 AM

I speak from experience as a family of 4 with a single income (me) which is hard to rent downtown (pretty much anywhere). We wouldnt qualify for even 80%, but when you start talking 120%, it would likely be an option.

And as Leo put it, there are plenty of high earning households in the Pearl. Speaking as someone who's family would like to remain downtown, it is becoming increasingly difficult to find an option we can afford. Even though I get raises each year, it is not even close to matching the rate at which apartments are renting for.

So, there ya go. My questions were first person based. But still a good lesson I think.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 5:58 AM

Interesting read at the DJC ($) about the challenges of designing a high rise CLT building.

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Pearl District's 12-story timber tower moves forward, gets more 'affordable'

It's not out of the ground yet, but a proposed 12-story high rise in the Pearl District made out of Cross-Laminated Timber is moving forward into its next phase of design, development and testing.

A project from Portland-based LEVER Architecture and project^, Framework would rise from the corner of Northwest 10th Avenue and Glisan Street on a quarter block that is currently home to Albina Community Bank.

The property owner is Beneficial State Bancorp, which acquired 90 percent of Albina's stock in 2013. Also part of the project is Home Forward, a Portland-based affordable housing investor and developer.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal (with some new images).

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:57 AM

Press release I received today:

Quote:
project^, the developer, and LEVER Architecture have completed Phase I in the development process for Framework. This exploratory phase focused on the research and design development for use of Cross-Laminated Timber (CLT) in a high-rise mass timber building. The project is now moving into Phase II, where fire and seismic testing will commence to gain permit approvals from the State of Oregon and the City of Portland.

project^ and LEVER have released new renderings for the 12-story Framework, reflecting design modifications from the original USDA submission.

The updated design relocates the public entry of the building to the corner of the site, creating an inviting lobby with a more civic presence, featuring mass timber building elements visible from the street. The lobby is conceived of as a public mass timber showcase, featuring a permanent Tall Wood Exhibit, and a small café, for visitors and building occupants. The Albina Community Bank sharing the ground floor has been located along the NE 10th Street frontage with a direct connection to the vibrant Portland Street Car stop.

Additionally, the facade is now defined by recessed window openings, sized differently for office and housing floors reflecting the building’s programming. The form and orientation of the Aluminum Composite Material (ACM) skin will animate the facade as it responds to daily and seasonal variations in light. The building mass, divided around a central vertical core, has been lifted at the north street corner to create a double height, well-lit and well-defined community space.

New development of the mass timber wood core has occurred, advancing the potential for using CLT for resilient construction. The structural wood core of Framework utilizes a resilient design, repairable after a major seismic event, preemptively avoiding the resource intense effort of demolition and reconstruction of a damaged building. The lateral force-resisting system uses post-tensioned rocking CLT shear walls with “Low Damage Design” features. These features include replaceable energy dissipating “fuses,” steel post-tensioned rods along the length of the building’s core, and non-proprietary floor-to-wall connections providing self-centering characteristics that allow the building to sway and return to its prior position following a seismic event. The design features of the wood core allow Framework to pave a viable path to carbon neutral construction with superior performance over conventional steel and concrete buildings.

A significant programming change has been made in partnership with Home Forward. In direct response to the City’s declaration of a housing emergency in October 2015, the 60 units planned for the five residential floors will be offered as affordable housing for those earning 60% of Annual Median Income rather than the prior 80% AMI benchmark. This adjustment further demonstrates the project’s commitment to being an innovative contribution to the promotion of social equity while contributing to the vitality of rural and urban economies.

Additional consultants have joined the team. StructureCraft Builders, the mass-timber design-assist partner, is working with the team on constructability, value engineering, and sourcing of the wood for the project, targeting a minimum of 50% of the wood originating in Oregon. Landscape Architects 2.ink Studio and TCC & Associates Civil Engineers have also joined the team, both certified as Minority, Women, or Emerging Small Business (MWESB) consultants.

Fire and seismic testing begin this month and will be completed by October, 2016.
  • Southwest Research Institute (SwRi) will conduct fire testing
  • Oregon State University (OSU) and Portland State University (PSU) will conduct seismic testing.

Framework, an urban + rural ecological project, remains on track to be the first high-rise mass timber building in the United States. Mass timber buildings stand to re-unite rural and urban economies in a beneficial symbiosis whereby value added wood products once again respectfully employ and empower rural communities while dramatically cutting the green house gas footprint of connected urban centers. A Fact Sheet is available here:

https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/9EvZ2
Along with some images:

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 3:47 PM

The Race for the Wood Skyscraper Starts Here
By Patrick Clark
Bloomberg Technology
5/16/16

"At a newly renovated plant in Riddle, Ore., workers glue together boards harvested from nearby forests, where Douglas fir has grown for thousands of years, and feed the resulting 10-by-30-foot panels into a pneumatic press.

What comes out three hours later, their boss is convinced, is the building material of the future."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...er-starts-here

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 7:13 PM

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
local gamechanger for the A/E industry. really hope this makes it all the way through construction relatively unchanged.

also - this will potentially put Thomas Robinson/Lever into CLT rock star status and blast him/them off into the national picture in a huge way. if it does, it's great that it's someone who knows how to design and detail a building.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 3:07 AM

I hope so. Aside from the fact that Lever are doing really great work, Thomas Robinson comes across as a genuinely nice guy.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 12:54 AM

Drawings: Exhibit A [PDF - 5MB] and Exhibit C [PDF - 15MB].

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 4:23 AM

Thanks for these -- this building will be such a nice step up from the existing one!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 3:16 PM

This and the adjacent Canopy Hotel seem as if they were made for each other. As with any relationship, time will tell.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 7:09 PM

Staff Report and Recommendation to the Design Commission, which doesn't yet recommend approval.

Last edited by maccoinnich; Jul 11, 2016 at 6:44 AM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 10:11 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

It looks somewhat minimal, but in a good way. Lots of glass. Clean lines. I like it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland