HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 8:35 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Tiger View Post
Hey guys, can anyone update me on the convention center hotel that was proposed a couple of months back please. I really hope that will get done, beautiful building.
Someone had said they heard it was dead!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 8:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgray View Post
I think somebody from Texas submitted a rendering several months ago. A sleek modern glass exterior as I recall.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 9:53 PM
NOLA Razorback

South Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
FANTASTIC news!!! Lets hope its a tall 29 stories like 400 poydras (regions tower) which is 32 stories but 442 ft! That whole stretch will really add alot to the skyline with the Standard and this addition. Plaza tower won't seem so monolithic and out of place! I'm curious how much the new renderings will change, I quite like the current one too.

Also that convention center hotel on S Peters is still listed on Eskew's site as Currently in Progress, rather than unbuilt.. so fingers crossed?http://www.eskewdumezripple.com/proj...el-development

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 5:59 AM

Hey guys, new here. Wondering about the status of 1031 Canal Street condos... Has any construction started on that yet?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 5:15 PM

http://uptownmessenger.com/2017/02/f...ys/#more-60792

Former Times-Picayune building may become “major amusement facility,” city says

Quote:
“It’s no secret. There’s a specific tenant we are working with,” said attorney Mike Sherman in Tuesday’s hearing before the City Planning Commission. “We hope it works out. We don’t know.”

Sherman did not, however, disclose the name of the tenant during the hearing, though other members of the development group also referred to a dramatic reshaping of the Earhart corridor.
I wonder what it could be. There seems to be growth in indoor theme parks and I've heard rumors of something like Top Golf as well.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 5:32 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
http://uptownmessenger.com/2017/02/f...ys/#more-60792

Former Times-Picayune building may become “major amusement facility,” city says

I wonder what it could be. There seems to be growth in indoor theme parks and I've heard rumors of something like Top Golf as well.
that could be true and maybe additonal space for mardi gras world

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 6:29 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAtoTX View Post
Hey guys, new here. Wondering about the status of 1031 Canal Street condos... Has any construction started on that yet?
No clue

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 12:09 AM

heres a trickle of info that seems to be related to the trade district

http://www.wdsu.com/article/new-orle...titute/8699867

Old Posted Feb 12, 2017, 1:29 AM

From the rendering I’ve seen on their website, The Standard has an awesome facade and will be even better looking once completed. Though simple and clean, the design fits well with the overall feel of the warehouse district. I like the abundance of glass… and it seems to be one of those facades which will remain "current" for decades.

I’m undecided about the Odeon. I’m not particularly a fan of the non-symmetrical glass. It would seem to work better with darker exterior panels similar to 930 Poydras. I feel that in 10 years, this uniquely designed facade will be outdated similar to “mirrored glass.” Although this rendering may not be the final design, more symmetry and more glass similar to The Standard would be an improvement. Also from a commercial viewpoint, I'd expect that an apartment with a wall of glass and unobstructed views of the skyline and river would be in higher demand and draw a higher rental rate.

My only other thought is that although density is always welcomed, it would have been great to have combined the 2 buildings into one 44 story building. More height gives the illusion of more density.

Last edited by hightech1217; Feb 12, 2017 at 3:59 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 4:36 AM

Commercial property question. As we all know the NASA Michoud complex was impacted by the EF-3 tornado last week. One of the impacted buildings housed 1300 workers for the National Finance Center. The NFC processes payroll and benefits for a large percentage of the federal workforce, and also administers other programs. Some of the workers are deployed to a backup site in Shreveport to at least keep the payroll going for the federal workforce while the remainder are either on admin leave or working remotely from home. This is not an ideal long term solution. They are currently searching for new office space until building 350 at Michoud is either repaired or replaced. Is there one building with enough available space for lease large enough to house 1300 workers in the metro area currently? Something that would be approximately the same size in square footage as this building.

Last edited by SlidellWx; Feb 13, 2017 at 4:50 AM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
Commercial property question. As we all know the NASA Michoud complex was impacted by the EF-3 tornado last week. One of the impacted buildings housed 1300 workers for the National Finance Center. The NFC processes payroll and benefits for a large percentage of the federal workforce, and also administers other programs. Some of the workers are deployed to a backup site in Shreveport to at least keep the payroll going for the federal workforce while the remainder are either on admin leave or working remotely from home. This is not an ideal long term solution. They are currently searching for new office space until building 350 at Michoud is either repaired or replaced. Is there one building with enough available space for lease large enough to house 1300 workers in the metro area currently? Something that would be approximately the same size in square footage as this building.
You could try Federal City in Algiers. That was its original purpose anyway.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 2:41 PM
-

That bywater naval facility building seems large enough to station stuff in the interim

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 2:47 PM

Is it just plain office space? If so, they could fit in 1010 Common, which has some 266k sf available last I saw. That's what I'd bet on. That building has struggled since the state moved its office to Benson Tower. There are a couple of other buildings in the CBD that have about 100k sf available.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 3:44 PM

If securing the damaged parts of the building and bringing in temporary power, hvac, and restrooms are not an option, my suggestions would be: 1) The convention center has over 1MM sf of exhibition space. Some could be converted to temporary offices. I would guess that most of this sf remains vacant unless there's a huge event. 2) Secondly, NOLA has approximately 10MM sf of Class A office space with about a 90% occupancy rate which would give about 1MM sf available. If there isn't one building with sufficient sf, relocating into multiple buildings may be needed. 3) Finally, some of the major hotels like the Hilton have multiple large banquet rooms which could house temporary offices.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 3:52 PM
TL;DR

It's not hard to find space, the bigger problem is parking. Not easy to find a place with 1300 available parking spaces every day for the 6-9 months that the Payroll Center is out of commission. Certainly there is not that much parking at the Bywater facility.

Maybe the Convention Center could make some of its reserve land (Trade District) available for parking... the garages in that area certainly aren't priced for daily commuters that are used to free parking. Also NORTA could extend its 64/65 buses to the Convention Center for employees that live in NO East.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 6:06 PM

From what I've heard, the goal is to get everyone under the same roof. I know they are still looking around at available options.

I totally forgot about the old Naval Support Facility. That is a pretty large building that could house the workers. I'm assuming the city has kept it in decent shape, so the turn around time would be fairly quick. I have heard they want to try to be in the same building until the Michoud building is repaired or replaced. Google maps shows a decent sized parking deck and surface lot, so that might suffice for parking. Many workers participate in a van pool from the Northshore, so the parking there could work.

It is mostly just office space that's needed along with a few conference rooms for presentations, training, and hosting clients coming from Washington DC. The Michoud facility also has a cafeteria, and I think the Naval Support Facility would have had one too. This space makes the most sense if the city is willing to let them use it for a few months.

We'll see what is ultimately decided. Thanks for the suggestions, y'all.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
Also that convention center hotel on S Peters is still listed on Eskew's site as Currently in Progress, rather than unbuilt.. so fingers crossed?http://www.eskewdumezripple.com/proj...el-development
This site is on the market for $12.5M.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 7:22 PM
-

A First Look at South Market District’s New $100 Million Tower [Renderings!]

http://canalstreetbeat.com/a-first-l...million-tower/

Construction begins, Sacred Heart at St Bernard Complex to be completed in 2018

http://nola.curbed.com/2017/2/8/1455...struction-2018

Ernest N. Morial New Orleans Exhibition Hall Authority to invest $12 million in culinary and hospitality institute

This is a smart investment into the trianing of future talent for this industry. Will have alarge impact both locally and for those from outside the area than want to get trained here!

http://nola.curbed.com/2017/2/6/1452...vention-center

New Orleans inches progress on $4.3 million St. Charles Avenue Repaving Project

http://nola.curbed.com/2017/2/3/1449...ary-mardi-gras

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 7:28 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeburgerCheeburger View Post
This site is on the market for $12.5M.
yeah the project seems all but dead although the land does now come with the height waivers that were approved so that gives it some added value.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2017, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwm991 View Post
heres a trickle of info that seems to be related to the trade district

http://www.wdsu.com/article/new-orle...titute/8699867
I'm pretty sure that's just referring to the building they've planned on using for a while now. It's got their logo on the windows too:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9440...7i13312!8i6656

The WDSU article is misleading because they use a picture of the Trade District site, but they say "purchased a building," so it's not new construction. It may just be that the convention center purchased this building and will now lease it to NOCHI. Don't know if that's true or what the original plan was. I live near there and noticed recently the interior lights are on most nights when they were always off before.

EDIT: Tennis' post confirms this I guess! NOCHI owned it, but the convention center has bought the building and will lease it to NOCHI, presumably creating cash on hand so construction can move forward more quickly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations