HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Hopefully somebody is "at home" on this and not busy figuring out which statue to tear down next.

EDIT: Right after I wrote the above, I saw this on another thread:https://technical.ly/philly/2017/09/...-philadelphia/
Aaaaaaaaand there it is. We're in it to win it.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 5:14 PM

Chicago is always a serious rival, given its central location (and Bezos & Emmanuel are having talks), but with Amazon already on the west coast, I'm sure the idea is to skip flyover country and go bi-coastal. I don't see NYC getting this, so I think DC is in the catbird seat (since Bezos already has a home and business interests there) with us trying to pull the upset.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Chicago is always a serious rival, given its central location (and Bezos & Emmanuel are having talks), but with Amazon already on the west coast, I'm sure the idea is to skip flyover country and go bi-coastal. I don't see NYC getting this, so I think DC is in the catbird seat (since Bezos already has a home and business interests there) with us trying to pull the upset.
A lot of people have been talking about Charlotte, Atlanta and Nashville.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 5:25 PM

I just don't see any of those but Atlanta being Amazon's sort of place, but it's all speculation on everyone's part right now.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 5:28 PM

Quote:
I just don't see any of those but Atlanta being Amazon's sort of place, but it's all speculation on everyone's part right now.
Same. I may be a homer, but I think Philly is much much better than all of those. Austin was another being thrown around.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmount2Fishtown View Post
A lot of people have been talking about Charlotte, Atlanta and Nashville.
Charlotte (research triangle, business friendly, Hub airport), Atlanta (large metro, good connectivity, business friendly) and DC all make sense. Nashville - similar to my pittsburgh comment above - is too regionally isolated: little transit, and only accessible with a small local airport.

Edit to add- all the articles seem to stress "North American" city - could they potentially be considering Toronto or Montreal?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Charlotte (research triangle, business friendly, Hub airport), Atlanta (large metro, good connectivity, business friendly) and DC all make sense. Nashville - similar to my pittsburgh comment above - is too regionally isolated: little transit, and only accessible with a small local airport.

Edit to add- all the articles seem to stress "North American" city - could they potentially be considering Toronto or Montreal?
Yes

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 6:02 PM

Austin has been mentioned because of no Income Tax in Texas for people who may relocate from Seattle. Online articles are purely opinion pieces, but I really haven't seen Philly highlighted in any of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Aaaaaaaaand there it is. We're in it to win it.
We're in it. But to be in it to win it, we need Penn/Drexel President's, CHOP Leadership, Comcast leadership, Brandywine leadership, Science Center leadership to ALL publicly and behind closed doors push massively for this. This isn't just about the direct impact Amazon jobs will have. This is about all of the peripheral impacts that come with it...so yes, that includes CHOP.

And Philly/PA must put up a ton of incentives. With a State who can't seem to figure out how to balance and approve a budget, I worry that they won't throw much towards Amazon.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmount2Fishtown View Post
Same. I may be a homer, but I think Philly is much much better than all of those. Austin was another being thrown around.
Texas is a great business environment. Austin already has Whole Foods HQ.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Nashville - similar to my pittsburgh comment above - is too regionally isolated: little transit, and only accessible with a small local airport.
Memphis is making a bid. If TN gets this, that city is more likely.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 7:08 PM

Quote:
It's difficult to tell how important it is for them to be on the east coast.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Memphis has no direct flights to/from Seattle or San Francisco, a pretty big consideration.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:55 PM

Holy shot. (Yes, that was a real typo) It would be dope if Philly got it. We have all of the universities, transit, and all of the above information, but I think that having two major development plans in place should be a major help. I don't know if that's going to ultimately be enough to give it to Philly, but it would be great if it did.

I remember from my recent travels to Chicago that there's the stalled Wolf Point development, which could also very easily attract a company this big.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Memphis has no direct flights to/from Seattle or San Francisco, a pretty big consideration.
They will if Amazon moves there.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:25 AM

I have a feeling this will go to Chicago or one of those upstart southern cities but Philly better take a damn good swing at least.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:33 AM
Philly Rising Up!

I'm hoping the blue states have a better shot. And, I'm even rooting for us more than any other city.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
I'm hoping the blue states have a better shot. And, I'm even rooting for us more than any other city.
I just hope the best/pro-business friendly proposal wins out. Let the competition begin.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 1:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydont View Post
I'm conflicted in not loving the individual designs of the buildings, but when we're talking about a project of this scale, who cares :-)
Those are not etched in stone, so to speak. They are master planning visual tools to show what the scale is and what could be possible. Most likely the individual buildings will be done by other architects with different designs, but the overall scale will be essentially the same.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 3:55 PM

There was an article posted on Philly.com (and printed in the Inquirer) in which one of our councilmen says that if Amazon comes here, they should build in the Port Richmond/Bridesburg area. And a guy from Liberty Property Trust says it would be best for it to be low-rises at the Navy Yard. Really though, it's University City or bust, given the proximity to all of the colleges and 30th Street Station itself. Schuylkill Yards is the clear best option, and it would be foolish for them to come here and not build it.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 4:39 PM

Philly's RFP must combat views like this article!:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...arters-be.html

Amazon is legitimately concerned with the ability to staff up with qualified people. But Philly's lack of tech jobs and job growth is mostly a supply problem, not a talent or demand one. Thousands of qualified candidates leave Philly each year after graduating with bachelor or graduate degrees from top area universities because the jobs they want don't exist here. People also relocate for companies like Amazon. There are tons of qualified people in a 90 mile radius in any direction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals