HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 14, 2004, 2:03 PM
Me?!?

Good Lord, our metro continues to explode with development.

Developer seeks to build 500 houses

Thursday, October 14, 2004
BY BRET FLEDDERJOHN
For The Patriot-News

A proposed subdivision could increase the population of Londonderry Twp. by more than 20 percent.

Last night, the township supervisors heard representatives of developer Dick Snyder request zoning changes needed to build School Heights Village, a development of about 500 houses that would be adjacent to Londonderry Elementary School.

The 196-acre site is bordered by Schoolhouse Road, Route 230 and Beagle Road.

Before the proposal can move into the planning stage, the tract's R-1 zoning must be changed. R-1 mandates a minimum lot size of one acre. As proposed, School Heights Village would need a change to R-2 and C-2 zoning.

R-2 zoning allows greater housing density, and C-2 zoning allows commercial use.

Gary Roeder, president of Lake Roeder Hillard and Associates, the engineering firm representing Snyder, said 388 town houses and 101 single-family houses would be built on 184 acres.

The development would include commercial units on 12.5 acres.

According to the 2000 census, Londonderry has 5,224 residents. With an average of 2.2 people per household, School Heights Village would increase the township's population by 1,076, or 21 percent.

Roeder said the proposal discussed last night was only a conceptual model for the purpose of the rezoning request. If the rezoning is approved, formal plans will be submitted to the planning commission.

Township resident Linda Rambler voiced concern that final plans can vary greatly from the initial rezoning plans. She also questioned the costs of the development to the school district and the revenue that would be generated in tax dollars.

"The taxpayer is going to get hurt bad," said Cedar Street resident Lee Hoch. He said increases in traffic, wear and tear on the infrastructure, snow removal and safety concerns would have financial and quality-of-life effects on residents.

He also warned that a population increase of that size could require a local police force and that emergency service providers would be busier.

Daryl LeHew, chairman of the board of supervisors, acknowledged that residential developments are not money makers for local governments and schools.

Lawyer Al Crump said Snyder would improve Beagle Road, installing a traffic light, and would consider donating to the emergency services in the township.

He said Snyder would be open to keeping the roads in the town house sections of the development private, maintained by a homeowners association, not the township.

Crump also proposed a donation of about 3.75 acres adjoining Londonderry Elementary to the Lower Dauphin School District.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2004, 2:23 PM
Me?!?

Rovegno defends plan for Corridor One test

Friday, October 15, 2004
BY DAN MILLER
Of Our Carlisle Bureau

CARLISLE - Cumberland County Commissioner Rick Rovegno made his case last night to Carlisle Mayor Kirk Wilson and the borough council that commuter rail must be tested on the East Shore before it can cross the river to the west.

Rovegno said the test is needed to determine if the federal government will commit to funding the estimated $250 million to extend commuter rail to Carlisle. The cost to build the proposed system to York, Gettysburg and Lebanon could reach $2 billion, Rovegno said.

The county would risk being stuck with holding the financial bag for an unproven project if it allowed any part of the commuter rail west of the river and the federal funding did not come through, Rovegno said.

Rovegno's visit was prompted by a Sept. 20 letter from Wilson to county commissioners criticizing their position that commuter rail first be subjected to a demonstration project on Amtrak's Lancaster-to-Harrisburg line. Wilson argued the test cannot be valid without including West Shore ridership.

Rovegno said the test was not Cumberland County's idea but recommended by transportation experts who were asked by federal officials to review the Corridor One commuter rail proposal. The experts contend results of the East Shore test can help predict West Shore ridership, Rovegno said. He gave Wilson and the council names and phone numbers of the experts.

Rovegno said the test is crucial because the proposed rail system would be the smallest in the country, meaning there is no other system with which Corridor One can be compared.

He acknowledged Wilson's statement that because of other planned improvements to the Lancaster-to-Harrisburg line, Amtrak could not participate in the test until at least 2007.

"We never suggested a specific entity to run the tests," Rovegno said.

Options could include forming an authority that would rent equipment to do the test, contracting with another agency or contracting with Amtrak, he said.

After the meeting, Wilson said he continues to believe the fate of the rail project should not be based on a demonstration project that is "impractical and nearly impossible to do."

Both Rovegno and Wilson expressed support for the concept of a bus-only rapid transit line in Cumberland County. The bus option was part of the Corridor One proposal, Rovegno said.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2004, 11:23 PM
joining the rail club

^Rovegno is a retard. those "supposed" experts have no idea what they are talking about. according to 2000 estimates, nearly 50,000 people commute between cumberland and dauphin counties daily VS. 8,000 between dauphin and lancaster. where should the first test corridor be?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2004, 5:00 PM
Me?!?

I know LOL. This is my favorite part of the article:

Rovegno said the test was not Cumberland County's idea but recommended by transportation experts who were asked by federal officials to review the Corridor One commuter rail proposal. The experts contend results of the East Shore test can help predict West Shore ridership, Rovegno said. He gave Wilson and the council names and phone numbers of the experts.

What the...?!? How is that even possible? What about West Shorians who commute within Cumberland County only? What about Cumberland County folk going EAST?!? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard...

Old Posted Oct 16, 2004, 10:06 PM
joining the rail club

^ the harrisburg to lancaster route on the east shore is the cheapest corridor to open and opperate. that's why they want it first. Rovegno and the others are just trying to buy time here by refusing to allow rail transit to enter into cumberland county. other than cost, it makes no sense to do a test run on the east shore only.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2004, 7:58 PM
Me?!?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2004, 1:43 AM
joining the rail club

yet another development on the east shore. i realize that this one is relatively small in comparison to others, but if the housing boom continues (as it's predicted to), then i'm going to see a real need for additional infrastructure improvements to US 322 and I-283. expanding the regional rail corridor east to Hershey and Lebanon should definately be a focus in the near future to mitigate congestion.

Swatara Twp. OKs plan for 112 houses
Monday, October 18, 2004
BY DIANA STRICKER
For The Patriot-News
A proposal to build 112 town houses on Cordial Lane in Swatara Twp. has been approved.

The township commissioners unanimously voted in favor of the final land development plan submitted by property owner Gary C. Wesner of York.

The houses will be built on the eastern side of Cordial Lane, just north of Lindle Road. The complex will have two private access roads to Cordial Lane.

Commissioner Richard Bouder expressed concern about the amount of traffic that will be exiting from Cordial Lane onto Lindle Road.

"We've got so many businesses on that road," Bouder said.

Among commercial establishments on Lindle Road are the Wyndham Harrisburg-Hershey Hotel, the Eat'nPark restaurant, Wolf Furniture Co. and the Hospital and Healthsystem Association.

The township solicitor said that although there will be more traffic on Lindle Road, the plans for the housing complex meet requirements.

When the commissioners objected to a request to install macadam sidewalks, the developer agreed to install concrete walks that meet township specifications.

Richard Bazdar, the township's code enforcement director, said the developer may begin construction as soon as the paper work is filed.

The commissioners also approved the final land development plans from Sheetz Inc. for a service station and store to be built in the Tecport Business Center at Paxton Street and Friendship Road.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriot...1249312491.xml

Old Posted Oct 23, 2004, 2:08 AM
Me?!?

Agreed, Chris. Check this out:

Church presents new plans for project

Wal-Mart hopes to construct store at current parish site

Friday, October 22, 2004
BY PHYLLIS ZIMMERMAN
For The Patriot-News

After months of delays, representatives from Holy Name of Jesus Catholic Church presented revised plans last night for building a church and school complex to replace its current 40-year-old facility in Lower Paxton Twp.

The church wants to move to West Hanover Twp., and Wal-Mart has plans to build a store at the church's present location.

The church proposes to build a 66,000-square-foot school for kindergarten through eighth grade, a 30,000-square-foot church, a rectory and church office, and athletic fields at Oak Grove and Sterling roads in West Hanover Twp.

Wal-Mart can't move forward with its plans for a store along Route 22 until the church has a new home.

The church's plans have gone through a series of revisions since its officials first presented West Hanover Twp. planning commission with blueprints in April.

After hearing residents' initial concerns about zoning variances that would have involved building a service drive, sidewalk, parking spaces, a footbridge, and a nature trail within 100 feet of a stream, the church went back to the drawing board and returned with its first set of revised plans in July.

In August, however, the zoning hearing board rejected the church's variance application to build a footbridge to link facilities at the proposed complex. The 6-foot-wide, 38-foot-long bridge would have crossed a stream within 25 feet of protected environmental areas.

After that, the matter was tabled with the township until this month as the church drew up yet another set of revised plans. This time, church officials say they aren't seeking any zoning variances.

The new proposal eliminated the need for a footbridge by moving the athletic field to the site's west end. Instead of a footbridge, the field would be accessed by a three-quarter-mile-long driveway leading from an entrance off Oak Grove Road that is separate from school entrances.

Project Engineer David Weihbrecht said he believed the plan didn't encroach on any protected environmental areas because all structures would be at least 100 feet away from the areas.

The church also plans to hammer out details with the township to relocate a sharp curve on Oak Grove Road and widen and upgrade a section of Sterling Road to accommodate extra traffic from the school.

The school would have four access points on Sterling Road and sports field access off Oak Grove Road. A main entrance is planned for Oak Grove Road and Sterling Road East.

Attorney Nathan Wolfe, who represents Concerned Citizens of West Hanover Twp., expressed several doubts that all environmental concerns had been satisfied by the church's newest plans.

Wolfe said a planned parking lot seemed to be within 100 feet of a stream bed on blueprints and wondered if realigned roads would need approval from the state Department of Environmental Protection because the area also appeared to be part of stream bed.

Church representatives told planning commission members that they didn't want a decision last night. Instead, they plan to return next month after taking time for more discussion and review with various township officials and committees.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2004, 2:09 AM
Me?!?

Review of town house permits draws crowd in Camp Hill

Friday, October 22, 2004

BY CHRIS A. COUROGEN
Of The Patriot-News

With a standing-room-only audience of more than 70 people on hand, Camp Hill's Zoning Hearing Board met last night to consider an appeal of zoning permits issued for a proposed housing complex in the borough.

In March, developer RWC Enterprises was granted permits for Hilltop Townes, 30-plus town houses to be built on a 3-acre plot in the 400 block of North 17th Street.

The appeal, which was filed by Aubrey Sledinski, who lives in the 400 block of North 17th Street, claims the borough's former manager, Edward J. Knittel, erred when he issued the permits. The appeal lists five reasons for denying the permits, but most of last night's testimony centered on whether the applications included enough information to meet the borough standards.

Attorney Steven Stine, representing Sledinski, argued the law requires an application to include the information needed to be ensure it complies with "all provisions" of the code. Stine argued the information submitted with the applications did not meet that standard.

In a series of questions, Stine asked Knittel if the application was sufficient to determine whether it met provisions concerning height and size of buildings and other code requirements. Each time, Knittel replied that he only considered the planned use in approving the permits.

Asked if he considered the entire ordinance, Knittel told Stine, "I looked at the parts I thought pertinent."

Under questioning by hearing board member J. William Royer, the project engineer, Scott Akens, admitted the drawings that were submitted with the application did not appear to meet the scale requirements called for by the ordinance.

The permits were issued under Camp Hill's old zoning ordinance, which allowed such development in the area. Shortly after the permit applications were filed, Camp Hill enacted a zoning law that would permit only single-family homes in that part of town.

If successful, the appeal could force the developer to scrap the town house plans.

The board delayed a final decision until Jan. 19, when it reconvenes for final arguments.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2004, 1:33 PM
joining the rail club

^ good post Dave. those proposed towne houses are less than a block away from my parents home. needless to say they aren't happy about all the new development, but it's the last open parcel of land in the borough. so you can see why this debate has risen to brawling between residents and borough officials. the fact that the old borough manager (knittel) enacted the permit before revisions to the zoning ordinance, and then resigned....is really fishy if you ask me. since then 2 other managers have been appointed and have resigned. camp hill is so corrupt!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2004, 3:40 PM
Me?!?

/\
I like the look of CH, but I would never live there due to shady stuff like this going on all the freakin' time!!! *Not to mention the snobby-ass attitude annoys me too.

Chris, what's going on these days? When do you head out? I sent you my # so feel free to give me a yell if you would like.

harrisburger, what's new with you?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2004, 9:00 PM

the only thing i've been worrying about for the last 2-3 are the national ArtsAwards competition...it's kind of a pain in the ass...haven't had much time to check the computer stuff, sorry

Old Posted Oct 27, 2004, 11:10 PM
Me?!?

Area slots operation takes shape

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

BY TOM DOCHAT
Of The Patriot-News

Construction of a slot-machine facility at Penn National Race Course should begin in the spring.

Peter M. Carlino, CEO of Penn National Gaming Inc., said the company plans to build a "spectacular" facility at the Grantville track, adding that it will be a "showcase" for all of Pennsylvania.

Carlino briefly discussed plans for the facility during a conference call yesterday on the company's third-quarter financial results.

Penn National expects to spend $150 million to develop the slot-machine facility, including the $50 million license fee. It should open in the spring of 2006.

The Grantville project is on the fast track now that the company has agreed to sell its Pocono Downs harness-racing track near Wilkes-Barre to the Mohegan Tribal Gaming Authority for $280 million. The Mohegan authority plans to buy Pocono Downs and five off-track betting operations, then seek a license to operate up to 3,000 slot machines at Pocono Downs.

The new state gaming law prohibits majority control in more than one slot-machine facility.

With the pending sale of Pocono Downs, Penn National Gaming listed the track as a discontinued operation in its third-quarter financial report, hurting the bottom line. Pocono Downs generated annual revenue of $38 million and net income of $2.5 million, or 6 cents a share.

The company reported third-quarter net income from continuing operations of $23.6 million, or 56 cents a share. Earnings would have been 58 cents a share with Pocono Downs, 1 cent more than analysts' estimates.

Penn National's actual net income for the quarter was $17.2 million, or 41 cents a share, compared with $13.6 million, or 34 cents, a year earlier.

The results were affected by the removal of Pocono Downs and a $7.1 million loss from its Shreveport, La., riverboat casino that is to be sold to Eldorado Resorts LLC.

Penn National's revenue for the quarter totaled $288.7 million, compared with $271 million a year ago.

"It was a strong quarter here," Carlino said. "We're very happy about it."

The company expects earnings of 40 cents a share from continuing operations in the fourth quarter, based on projected revenues of $272.5 million.

It revised its full-year earnings forecast to $2.05 a share from continuing operations, down from an earlier estimate of $2.09 a share. The prior estimate included a contribution of 6 cents a share from Pocono Downs.

Penn National executives said they plan to open a gaming facility at its Bangor, Maine, racetrack by the middle of 2006. That facility will have about 1,500 slot machines.

The company also said it expects to add 200 slot machines at its money-making Charles Town Races operation in West Virginia in the third quarter of 2005. That would increase the number of slots there to 4,000.

The proposed Grantville facility would have 2,000 slot machines when it opens.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2004, 1:34 AM
joining the rail club

^ and so it begins

also, penndot will have no choice but to widen I-81 from 4 to 6 lanes to the I-78 split, as well as rehabilitate both the hershey exits and expand overcrowded rest areas. it's going to cost a lot more than people think to accomodate this new casinos.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2004, 5:47 PM
Me?!?

Farm Show Complex has growing pains

Raising the rent at enlarged facility is raising some ire

Sunday, October 31, 2004
BY MARY KLAUS
Of The Patriot-News

Seventy-five years ago last week, state officials stood in a Harrisburg State Hospital cow pasture and broke ground for what would become the state Farm Show Complex.

Built on a vacant 40-acre site at North Cameron and Maclay streets at the height of the Great Depression, the complex provided jobs and a home for Pennsylvania's version of a state fair.

Fast forward seven decades. The complex underwent an $86 million expansion in 2001 and now includes 11 connected buildings covering 25 acres. It hosts more than 200 shows a year.

Progress hasn't been cheap. A state audit last year revealed a financial crisis. State Inspector General Donald Patterson continues to investigate allegations of mismanagement and misappropriation of funds by former management.

The state Office of Budget comptroller originally said the complex would lose $3.1 million this year. The Farm Show Bureau's executive director, Edward L. Nielsen, said his team decreased that shortfall to $1.8 million, a loss he attributes to the "willy-nilly rate structure and special deals offered to some customers."

This summer, the Farm Show Commission -- which oversees the complex -- increased rental rates to make up losses, a move that has angered some vendors.

The commission is hoping that better business plans and improved marketing strategies help to erase the deficits and bring visitors. Planned improvements include the addition of a four-story hotel with 150 suites, meeting rooms and a restaurant.

"We're taking the Farm Show Complex from a diamond in the rough to Pennsylvania's crown jewel," Nielsen said.

Making changes:

Nielsen said several shows paid the same rent for 20 or 30 years -- 2.8 cents a square foot a day -- while it was costing the complex 9 cents a square foot a day to operate. Nielsen said the Farm Show Complex's last operating surplus was $213,000 in 1996-97.

Under the new rent rate structure, the Pennsylvania National Horse Show Association's rent will jump more than 100 percent, from $92,960 this year to more than $217,000 next year.

The annual Pennsylvania RV and Camping Show, which last month had its 36th show in the Farm Show Complex, would have faced a 29 percent increase next year. Show organizers pulled out, moving the 2005 show to the Giant Center in Derry Twp.

Pennsylvania Landscape and Nursery Association Director Gregg Robertson said the Power Expo, a landscape, nursery and turf power equipment exposition, is staying.

"Last year, we paid $38,000 to rent the main Expo Hall and the Equine Arena for five days, two days to set up, two show days and one to tear town," he said. "We had a very good show, but were charged commercial rates. This year, we'll pay agriculture rates because we are an agriculture show."

Wendy David, executive vice president of the Home Builders Association of Metro Harrisburg, said the Pennsylvania Home Builders Show had minimal price increases for 30 years.

"By the time they got around to increases, we'll have a 17 percent rent increase in 2006," she said. "If they had spread it out all along, we wouldn't have this hit."

The Home Builders Show rents 356,000 square feet for 15 days.

The renovated facility is "beautiful but understaffed," she said. "I'm tickled Pennsylvania has a place like this. But is the bang worth the buck?"

Jim Chambers, spokesman for the Eastern National Antique Show and Sales held in April and November, says no. He called the complex "antiquated" and said parking fees hurt attendance for the show, which has been at the complex since 1955.

In 2001, the complex began charging $5 a vehicle to either park beside the complex or in a lot off Elmerton Avenue and ride a shuttle bus to the complex.

"When they made parking off site at $5 a car, our gate went down 30 percent," Chambers said. "The public doesn't like to pay to park at a show where they will spend money. Besides, riding a shuttle bus is not conducive to buying antiques. We charge $6 to get in for three days, but paying to park each time hurts us. When Farm Show officials say 'you pay to park at Hersheypark,' I say 'this isn't Hersheypark.'"

Moving forward:

The state Farm Show Commission recently approved a strategic plan to improve value for customers.

In addition, the commission is planning to host concerts and new shows in 2005.

The commission plans to be aggressive in marketing the facility's "unique nature and flexible capabilities" and make key agriculture events prominent globally.

Nielsen said recent improvements include new food service, better shuttle service and better air quality in the Expo Hall.

Also, the complex has begun sending livestock waste water to a sanitary holding tank instead of into Paxton Creek.

"The Farm Show Complex is in an aggressive transition and growth spurt," Nielsen said. "It's a challenging and exciting time here."

Old Posted Oct 31, 2004, 5:52 PM
Me?!?

:carrot:

Available office space drops as firms expand

Commercial occupancy rates climb in midstate

Sunday, October 31, 2004
BY DAVID DeKOK
Of The Patriot-News

Commercial real estate occupancy rates in the Harrisburg area resumed their mostly upward climb in the third quarter, according to a tracking survey compiled by broker Thomas Posavec at Landmark Commercial Realty Inc. in Lemoyne.

The amount of office space available to potential tenants dropped by a net 91,655 square feet in the period.

Posavec said small- and medium-sized firms seeking space to grow their businesses were the best customers for area landlords.

"We're seeing more and more companies growing, increasing staff and adding space," he said. "That's more the rule now than the exception. Two years ago, we were seeing more of the shrinking and correcting, the downsizing."

Posavec cited Arora Associates, an engineering firm, as an example. Landmark brokered a 1,000-square-foot lease for Arora in the Colonial Park area two years ago. Recently, Arora expanded into 3,300 square feet of space.

Companies involved in the mortgage and residential real estate markets have done well of late, Posavec said, benefiting from what he called a local housing boom. Exit Realty on Route 22 recently moved into 4,200 square feet of space, he said, and RE/MAX Realty Select, a new RE/MAX affiliate, leased 4,400 square feet on East Park Drive in Lower Paxton Twp.

The East Shore -- defined as everything on the east side of the Susquehanna River except downtown Harrisburg -- did the best in Posavec's quarterly survey, with an overall absorption of 98,550 square feet from the market.

The West Shore absorbed 537 square feet, and downtown Harrisburg put a net 7,432 square feet back on the market.

Posavec said the East Shore results might have been even better if not for the continuing underperformance of the Gateway Office Park. He said the park, which is owned by Corporate Office Properties, has suffered in comparison with newer buildings with superior locations and amenities.

Market Square Plaza, the high-rise office building nearing completion in downtown Harrisburg, is already having an impact on the suburban markets, he said, as firms either plan to move to the building or to downtown space that will be vacated by other tenants.

TecPort, the business park in Swatara Twp. adjacent to Harrisburg Mall, continues to exceed expectations, said Posavec, whose firm represents the owners of the park. It already has surpassed its 10-year plan in five years.

Posavec acknowledged that much of TecPort's success has come in marketing space to non-technology companies such as Capital Blue Cross and Coventry. But technology companies continue to show interest in the park. A tract of vacant land in TecPort is about to be subdivided into 10 office lots.

One other trend in the commercial market is the number of properties that are being purchased rather than leased, an outgrowth of continuing low interest rates. Posavec said Landmark has sold 20 office properties over the past 10 weeks.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2004, 2:54 AM

that tecport area is really booming. every time i go by, some other new work is going on. glad to see the office rates going higher, but i wonder how much longer can this last? hopefully long enough to bring about more larger offices downtown...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2004, 5:57 AM
joining the rail club

great news guys. it will be cool to see all the changes and progress once i return home.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2004, 2:01 AM

Location: I find myself surrounded by highways, fast food, and warehouses
Has anyone heard anything about the new "Residence" project on 4th and Market? I hav'nt noticed any activity or even a mention of the project anywhere.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2004, 2:11 AM
Me?!?

Well what do we have here?!? Possibly another HBG forumer?!? We are slowly taking over. :carrot:

Welcome to the forum, Spudmrg.

As for the project, I haven't noticed anything going on there at all. A few months ago they were doing work to the utility lines around the area and they put up fences, looked like they were about to get started and then...nothing. I have no idea what is going on now. The developer's sign is still up, though, so that is a good sign (no pun intended lol).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations