HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 26, 2004, 3:07 AM

Location: I find myself surrounded by highways, fast food, and warehouses
The state maintains a list of all of the Local taxes on this website(sorry for the long link):

http://ctcoas01.state.pa.us/dced/MSS..._arg_values=NO

When we talk about property taxes, there are 3 entities levying them, the School District, the actual local muni(in this case above, Harrisburg City), and then the county. The county determines how much the property is worth, and then from there you take the tax rate times that amount. 10 mills would equal .010, or 1 percent of the assessed value of the property. Hope that helps

Old Posted Nov 26, 2004, 10:18 PM
Me?!?

Good link, Spudmrg, thanks for the info!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisburger
eastside, i really don't know stats too well, but i remember hearing cumberland's taxes are really low, and hampden's are the lowest in the area...if these are true, why are dauphin's going so much higher? actually, i'd rather my taxes went up to pay for cumberland valley's dire need for money...anyways, are these increases generally accepted by easterners, or are the citizens angry regarding them? the snobby westerners would burn those responsible for raising any taxes...
Not only are Cumberland Co.'s prop. taxes lower, they have actually gone down in a few spots this year (like Lower Allen for example)!!!

Overall I'd say they are generally accepted, but it is getting to be too much now and people are starting to speak out a lot more (finally). And this is evident by the way the council did things this time around; on a day when people were busy and couldn't attend the meeting to let their opinions be heard.

Honestly, most people here just move when they get sick of it instead of speaking out it seems. THIS is exactly why the West Shore is able to do what it does with the property taxes, because people leave here and head over there.

Here's a good editorial from today's paper:

Squabbling in the city

Friday, November 26, 2004

It's bad enough that the executive and legislative branches at the state Capitol can't get along, can't overcome their differences for the good of the people they serve.

But just a few blocks away, at City Hall, the same political and personal impairment is in full play. The latest manifestation of the less-than-stellar relations between Mayor Stephen R. Reed and Harrisburg City Council came in a dispute that prompted the mayor to drop plans for expanding the city-owned Class AA baseball field at Commerce Park on City Island.

Maybe it's a change in the water, or the air, but this quintessential "city of the deal" seems to have lost its touch. It's as if all the major political players are operating on different game boards, with different rules and very little, if any, communication.

Council members led by Vice President Linda Thompson had to know that an amendment to the $28.3 million stadium project siphoning off 5 percent of baseball revenues for various unspecified human services in the city was a deal breaker. In a rapidly changing minor-league baseball environment, council's action leaves Harrisburg with an inadequate facility to vie for a Class AAA franchise.

While we understand that improving conditions for baseball in Harrisburg many not be council's top priority, its value to elevating the city's status and attractiveness should not be undersold. Moreover, council's desire to give itself a lead role in handing out funds for "good causes" is highly questionable and irregular. It invites abuse and misapplication of city dollars.

At the very least, the two projects -- baseball and social projects -- should not be co-mingled. That they were suggests a breakdown in the working parts of city government that is amateurish and ill serves the people.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2004, 11:40 PM

I've been to a Senators game a handful of times, and I hav'nt been to one in ages....I'm more of a hockey fan myself. How is the stadium these days? More to the point, how are the prices in comparision to what the enviroment is like?

I know someone who is considering moving in to the area, if only for a year or two. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look for a house/rental? Nothing fancy, just decent, and served by CAT.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2004, 3:59 PM
Me?!?

Well, the stadium is in need of rennovation. The prices are reasonable, though. Spudmrg, if you go after a certain time you can get in free (I think it's after the 6th inning). This would be a good opportunity to go and check things out.

Where is this person coming from and what type of living environment do they want, Spudmrg? I am asking because there are a lot of options; CAT has a wide range of service. They could move into the city, Camp Hill, Wormleysburg, Susquehanna and LP Townships... If you can narrow it down a bit I will be able to give specifics.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2004, 4:02 PM
Me?!?

This is pretty cool!!! It's nice to see that a historic landmark was saved and also that tourism is getting big enough here (South Central PA) and more B&Bs can be supported.

Baker House given another transformation

Saturday, November 27, 2004

BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

It's been a doctor's office, a lawyer's office and home to the United Way of the Capital Region.

Now, the Baker House along North Front Street will play host to weddings, corporate meetings, celebrations and weekend getaways as Harrisburg's only bed-and-breakfast.

Sean Adams and Robin Clemens bought the 1920s house and grounds at 2701 N. Front St. this fall after securing a city zoning variance that cleared the way for a bed-and-breakfast.

They are renovating the 8,500-square-foot L-shaped mansion for a planned opening in mid-2005.

Their business plan is to expand upon the bed-and-breakfast model by turning their home into more than just a weekend romantic retreat.

They said the spaciousness of the mansion and its lawn overlooking the Susquehanna River make it an ideal spot for weddings, parties, banquets and corporate meetings and retreats.

The engaged couple plan to be their first clients by holding their wedding there this spring.

"We want to have the first wedding here," Adams said. "It will be like doing our own advertising."

In fact, the couple took the money they were saving to hold their nuptials at an inn in Maryland and put it toward their down payment on the property at Front and Wiconisco streets.

"The idea popped into our heads, and we kept coming back to this property," Clemens said.

Adams' family is in the bed-and-breakfast business, and his brother is on the staff of the Pennsylvania Tourism and Lodging Association.

The couple's plans for the mansion are in keeping with the current trend in the bed-and-breakfast business, said Chris Weidenhammer, vice president of the Pennsylvania Tourism and Lodging Association.

"Bed-and-breakfasts have become more specialized," he said. "There is an opportunity in what they are trying to do, in as far as the corporate meetings, the weddings and the banquets. They have a good idea there."

This is despite the fact that Harrisburg may not be the first place people think of for bed-and-breakfasts, which now number about 860 across Pennsylvania, according to the association.

A few past ventures in the city quickly went out of business, officials said.

That's because most bed-and-breakfasts tend to thrive in more tourism-driven markets, such as New Hope in Bucks County, the Amish areas of Lancaster County and Gettysburg.

For Adams and Clemens, these facts aren't a deterrent, merely a sign that Harrisburg is ripe. "The market hasn't even been tapped," Adams said.

The Baker House, which dates to the 1920s, was threatened with demolition just a few years ago.

In 2000, its owner, the United Way of the Capital Region, intended to raze the building in favor of a two-story office.

Attorney Ralph J. Baker built the house, which was designed by the Philadelphia architectural firm of Mellor, Meigs & Howe.

The structure is credited by preservationists as one of the few remaining examples of early 20th-century residential architecture that once defined Front Street.

Later, it was owned by Dr. W. Minster Kunkel, who ran an office on the grounds. For a time, U.S. Rep. John Crane Kunkel lived in the mansion.

In 1972, the Kunkel family donated the house to the United Way. The agency used the house until 2000, when a fire gutted the office annex on the grounds. That sparked the agency's plans to raze the house.

Protests from preservationists halted the demolition, and the house reverted to private hands in 2001 when Shawn M. Gallagher and Laura Beth Kelly bought it for their residence.

They sold the building in October to Adams and Clemens for $630,000. Since then, the couple have been ripping up carpets and planning renovations.

The stone house with Tudor revival accents boasts slate and wood floors, castlelike limestone archways, five fireplaces and eight bedrooms. It looks out on a flat, open yard that could hold 200 or more people for outdoor events.

The owners envision at least five guest rooms and a bridal suite in what's called the carriage house. All the rooms will have private baths.

Adams and Clemens will live on the third floor.

When completed, the mansion will be billed as a place to celebrate milestones or hold a business meetings. It could be the scene for fund-raisers, product shows or wine tastings, the couple said.

They envision a media room with the latest in audio-visual and telecommunication equipment for high-tech meetings.

City officials said they like the idea.

"The mayor is both pleased and excited about the prospect for a bed-and-breakfast on Front Street," city spokesman Randy King said.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2004, 3:11 PM
Me?!?

Funny how the city council works...or DOESN'T work I should say LOL

Clarification keeps ballpark plan in play

Sunday, November 28, 2004
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

A $28.3 million project to revamp Harrisburg's Commerce Bank Park might get another turn at bat.

Mayor Stephen R. Reed and the City Council are holding out hope that legislation approving an $18 million bond issue for upgrades to the baseball stadium on City Island can be salvaged.

The stadium is home to the Harrisburg Senators, the Class AA minor-league affiliate of the Montreal Expos, who are to move to the nation's capital and become the Washington Nationals for the 2005 season.

Last week, Reed placed the stadium renovations on "indefinite hold" after the council voted to direct some money from baseball to council-selected projects.

Now, Reed -- who has expressed hopes of bringing Class AAA baseball to Harrisburg -- and council members say the project might still be alive.

It has to do with a misunderstanding between net profits and gross revenues.

In a confusing series of verbal amendments, the council last week added a provision to the stadium funding that appeared to designate 5 percent of gross revenues from baseball to council-designated causes.

Reed, who attended the session, called the changes a "poison pill" designed to make the project financially unfeasible. He vowed to veto the bill, even though it approved the $18 million bond issue to cover the city's share of the project's cost. But several council members said they meant to earmark 5 percent of net profits from baseball, not gross revenues.

Gross vs. net profits:

Typically, the city-owned team grosses about $2.5 million in annual revenues. Five percent of that would be $125,000.

Net profit is a different story. Reed said the team generates less than a 2 percent profit, anywhere from $200,000 to $250,000 a year after expenses. Five percent of that is $10,000 to $12,500.

Council President Richard House said the verbal amendments will be corrected to reflect net profits when they are put in writing by lawyers. A final draft of the amended bill could be ready as early as this week.

"The legislation will say 5 percent of the net -- the money left over after all the bills have been paid," House said. "If you tried to do the gross, the bond buyers wouldn't even approve this. It has to be the net."

Reed has said he could live with legislation that siphoned 5 percent of net profits from baseball.

"The profits from baseball go into the general fund anyway," he said. "I have zero problem with the concept."

Reed said he would be inclined to sign such a bill in the spirit of moving forward with the two-year project, which has had other delays.

"As long as that amendment says 5 percent of net profit, I will be happy to sign the legislation," Reed said. "That would restore the financial feasibility of the project."

The stadium project calls for adding seats and a restaurant, plus cosmetic changes. If it moves forward now, the renovated park could be ready in 2006.

Procedure criticized:

It's unclear how the mistake was made.

The final version of the amendment, which passed 4-3, was crafted by Vice President Linda Thompson.

She was reacting to a motion by member Otto Banks. Thompson said she merely increased the council's share of the funds from 3 percent to 5 percent, and widened the array of projects that could benefit from that money.

Thompson said she always intended that the 5 percent would come from net profits. But during the debate over the amendments, council members never distinguished between net profits and gross revenues.

Instead, members cited various sections and subsections of the 40-page bill. Most of these sections deal with gross revenues, because those funds would pay interest to bond holders and go toward paying back the bonds.

Thompson admitted she didn't fully understand the sections of the ordinance cited in the amendments. "I didn't read Section C," she said. "I didn't understand it. I never said 5 percent of the gross."

House said the episode was a case of poor legislative procedure. He said the confusion between net and gross revenues was a result of a flurry of last-minute law making.

"All of this was done from the floor," said House, who along with Banks and Vera White voted against the amendment and the bill.

"That's not how you should conduct business," he said.

House said the corrected version of the bill could be on Reed's desk as early as tomorrow. Reed would have 10 days to sign or veto it.

The stadium improvements would include 1,700 additional seats -- increasing the stadium's capacity to 9,500 -- 20 skyboxes, 766 club seats and a right-field party deck.

But the work, which was to start at the end of the Senators' season, has been delayed as debate has swirled on the council since summer.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2004, 7:44 PM
joining the rail club

^ so baseball is still alive in HBG and the new stadium will most likely get built? correct? the politics of baseball is disturbing, but i really hope that the AAA Otawa team moves to the city. it would definately be a step in the right direction. anyway Dave, i took some crazy awesome pics of Olympic National Park, the Hoh Rain Forest, Mt. Rainier, Ft. Lewis, and Seattle of course. i'll post them when i come home for xmas break. hope you are doing well. thanks for the interesting HBG posts

Old Posted Nov 30, 2004, 2:21 AM

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_276246.html

An interesting look at what our sister city to the west is doing in regards to it's tax base. As I recall.....Harrisburg has fewer non-profits....but more state, federal, county, and local tax-exempt property(by total land value).

Old Posted Dec 2, 2004, 1:23 AM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightchr
^ so baseball is still alive in HBG and the new stadium will most likely get built? correct? the politics of baseball is disturbing, but i really hope that the AAA Otawa team moves to the city. it would definately be a step in the right direction. anyway Dave, i took some crazy awesome pics of Olympic National Park, the Hoh Rain Forest, Mt. Rainier, Ft. Lewis, and Seattle of course. i'll post them when i come home for xmas break. hope you are doing well. thanks for the interesting HBG posts
Good to hear from you, Chris!!! I just had a friend get back from Seattle for the first time and the first thing she said to me was, "Dave, you need to check it out...it's so you!!!" I would love to visit one day, that's for sure!!! I can't wait to see your pics and I'm glad you're doing well.

Here's some GREAT news!!! :carrot:

Reed OKs financing for stadium project

Ballpark project's financing approved

Wednesday, December 01, 2004
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

A $28 million project to revamp Harrisburg's baseball stadium on City Island has finally crossed home plate.

Mayor Stephen R. Reed yesterday signed a bill approving an $18 million bond issue to cover the city's share of the project's costs. The state is expected to cover the rest of the costs.

"It's signed, sealed and delivered," Reed said, adding that the improvements would be in place for the start of the 2006 season.

The stadium, Commerce Bank Park, is home to the Harrisburg Senators, the Class AA minor-league affiliate of the Montreal Expos. The Expos are to move to the nation's capital and become the Washington Nationals for the 2005 season.

As recently as last week, the project looked to be down to its last strike in the bottom of the ninth. Reed had placed the stadium renovations on "indefinite hold" after City Council voted to direct some money from baseball to council-selected projects.

At the time, Reed called those changes a "poison pill" designed to make the project financially unfeasible. He vowed to veto the bill, even though it included the bond issue.

The disagreement centered on apparent confusion over whether the council had sought control of a portion of the city's gross revenues from baseball in its verbal amendments to the bill.

In the end, council members said they meant to earmark 5 percent of the net profits from baseball -- a much smaller amount of money.

Reed agreed to this interpretation and signed a written version of the amended bill that directs 5 percent of the city's profits from baseball to health, social service and economic development projects to be chosen by the council.

"I feel vindicated," said Council Vice President Linda Thompson, who helped craft the amendments. "I am excited we are moving forward with baseball."

Reed said money from the bonds should be in place by mid-January. Some construction could start by the spring. Work will continue throughout the 2005 season, but it will not disrupt baseball, Reed said.

Most of the renovations will take place after the 2005 season. The revamped baseball stadium is scheduled to be ready for the start of the 2006 season.

An expanded and renovated stadium could help lure a AAA team to Harrisburg, a move Reed said he is still exploring.

Under that scenario, the city would sell the Senators, use the proceeds to pay down the stadium debt, and then collect rent, amusement taxes and other fees from the new team.

Reed said he is expecting the state to contribute to the stadium project. Harrisburg has applied for $16.9 million in state funding.

While that request hasn't yet been acted upon, Reed said it would not delay the project. He said typically state money is given as a reimbursement once work has been done and bills have been submitted and reviewed.

Originally, the stadium project was to start at the end of the Senators' 2004 season, but it was delayed as debate has swirled on the council since summer.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2004, 1:28 AM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudmrg
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_276246.html

An interesting look at what our sister city to the west is doing in regards to it's tax base. As I recall.....Harrisburg has fewer non-profits....but more state, federal, county, and local tax-exempt property(by total land value).
Interesting, thanks Spudmrg!!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2004, 3:02 AM

Real quiet around here........anything going on in/around the city?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2004, 1:54 PM

I see in the Patriot-News that Sus. Township is raising the new ($52) services tax and cutting property taxes, and that Harrisburg City Council is thinking about the same concept. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 12:11 AM
Me?!?

Well, I would love to say that I would like to see the city give people a break on the prop. taxes. I know A LOT of people who have left the city because of the high prop. taxes. BUT, I realize the city is in a unique situation. 1) Not many places to build/grow. Many other municipalities have this luxury. 2) It's still a large employment center, and many of these people are non-residents. This is a heck of a tax (no pun intended lol) on the infrastructure. So...

Harrisburg weighs use of $52 tax

Friday, December 10, 2004
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

When the state Legislature voted last month to allow municipalities to replace their occupational privilege taxes with a higher levy, it handed Harrisburg a $2.6 million gift.

Now, the City Council and some Harrisburg residents are questioning how that money should be used.

Mayor Stephen R. Reed has recommended that the added revenue go toward supporting programs and staff positions that would have otherwise been cut from Harrisburg's $60.06 million budget for 2005.

But council members have asked for a detailed list of what would have been cut to see if there are better uses for the money.

And one advocacy group, Citizens for a Better Harrisburg, insists the funds from the job tax should be used to offset city property taxes.

The group's president, Jason Smith, said the money could provide up to a 17 percent reduction in city real estate taxes.

At least one surrounding municipality, Susquehanna Twp., has already used the job tax to cut its property taxes by 9.6 percent.

Reed has recommended replacing the $10 tax with a jobs tax that can be as high as $52 a year.

The tax is paid by the 55,000 people who work in Harrisburg and earn $10,000 or more. The first $5 of the tax goes to the Harrisburg School District, with the balance going to the city.

Reed's budget plowed the $2.6 million the city would receive back into programs that officials say would have been cut or reduced in 2005.

These changes were made during a last-minute revision of the city budget accomplished after the Legislature approved the change on Nov. 21. The city spending plan was made public on Nov. 23.

The council is now pressing for more details on what would have been cut under the original budget.

"There might be some fat in there," said council member Eric Waters, who has been holding budget hearings.

Council members said they are looking at all options, including using the funds from the job tax to lower city property taxes.

"We need to give relief to taxpayers," said member Gloria Martin-Payne. "It's certainly something we need to look at seriously."

City officials said they weren't sure how much the $2.6 million from the job tax could reduce city real estate taxes, which were not slated to rise in 2005.

The owner of a house assessed at $100,000 currently pays $850 in city property taxes under the 8.5-mill combined levy on land and improvements.

No matter what the eventual use of the money from the tax, Reed has argued forcefully for the $52 maximum.

He said it is the only way Harrisburg, a regional employment center, has to get revenues from the thousands who work in the city but don't live there.

Reed has said the city spends millions to provide police, fire, public works and infrastructure to accommodate its business day visitors.

The occupational privilege tax was established in 1965 at a rate of $10. Municipalities were never permitted to charge more until this year.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 12:16 AM
Me?!?

Holden brings $3.8 million for rail plan, buses

BY FRANK COZZOLI
Of The Patriot-News

The effort to revive local train service in the Harrisburg region just got a windfall in federal funding.

U.S. Rep. Tim Holden was in town yesterday to deliver two checks totaling nearly $3.8 million, much of which will go directly to the train endeavor.

Holden, D-Schuylkill County, said $2 million comes from the new starts program of the Federal Transit Administration.

Capital Area Transit and the Modern Transit Partnership plan to bring service to 54 miles of track between Lancaster and Carlisle known as Corridor One.

Preliminary engineering on a $75.8 million project to start service between Lancaster and Hampden Twp. is to be finished this winter.

The $2 million will be used to pay the balance of those engineering costs and help finance the start of final design, which is to begin in mid 2005.

Another $550,000 is from the Federal Railroad Administration's grade-crossing safety program.

The package also included $218,250 in grants to support administrative operations.

Holden also gave CAT a separate check for $1 million to buy four buses to replace units that have been on the street since 1988.

"This is the largest aggregate grant that we've ever received at one time," said Gerald Morrison, chairman of the partnership, the fund-raising arm of CAT.

Morrison credited Holden and Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., who led a delegation of midstate members of Congress in securing the funds.

Regional rail, which ultimately would serve eight counties, is at the heart of an effort to reduce highway congestion and bolster the area's economic vitality.

Corridor One trains are scheduled to start running between Lancaster and Harrisburg in late 2007 and to serve Harrisburg International Airport.

Service is scheduled to expand west to Mechanicsburg in 2008 and to Carlisle in 2010.

Morrison said studies also have begun to take service to Hershey and Lebanon, and south to York in what's known as Corridor Two.

Morrison said talks also are under way to expand Corridor One east from Lancaster to link with trains run by the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority.

"All of these things are under way, and all of them will produce enormous positive benefits for this region," Morrison said.

"We're only one phase away from building stations, procuring [rail] vehicles, and planning train schedules," Ward said.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 12:21 AM
Me?!?

Hersheypark files lawsuit, drops roller-coaster plans

Hersheypark's coaster plan comes to a grinding halt

BY PETE SHELLEM AND BARRY FOX
Of The Patriot-News

Hersheypark officials announced yesterday they have dropped plans to build "Turbulence," the park's 11th roller coaster.

And they are suing the ride's manufacturer.

According to the lawsuit filed this week in U.S. Middle District Court, Interactive Rides Inc. increased the estimated cost to build the ride by more than $1 million and cut one car from the coaster -- all due to the higher cost of steel.

So, in place of the new coaster, the park will re-introduce two family rides that have been in storage for three years -- "Balloon Flite" and "Starship America."

The change in plans is the result of Interactive Rides Inc.'s "refusal to provide the ride as specified in its contract," Garrett Gallia, Hershey Entertainment and Resorts Co. director of corporate relations, said in a statement.

According to the suit, Hershey Entertainment is seeking the return of a $400,000 payment and damages against the Logan, Utah, firm, claiming the company promised to install the roller coaster and then raised its price by more than 50 percent.

The suit says Hershey entered into a contract with Interactive to build a 150-foot-tall roller coaster in April. Interactive quoted a price of $1,995,000 and a ride that would have seven four-seated vehicles. Hershey made a $400,000 down payment and began advertising the ride in September, the suit says.

On Nov. 12, Interactive notified Hershey in writing that because of increases in the price of steel, it had no option but to increase the original price by $1,117,462.

The company also said it was removing one of the cars on the ride in an effort to reduce costs. Hershey said it warned Interactive that it would be breaching its contract, but the company refused to change its stance, the suit says.

Despite the lawsuit, Val Potter, Interactive Rides' vice president of sales, said the "Turbulence" project is not dead.

"We're open to reviewing it and hope to work something out," he said. "I'm hopeful we can come to some reasonable agreement."

Gallia said it would take "a dramatic change by the manufacturer" for the "Turbulence" project to go forward.

"Obviously, this is disappointing for our guests and for us," Gallia said. But with 60 other rides, "we still think we have a great experience" to offer customers, he said.

In September, park officials announced plans for the so-called drop coaster -- swinging cars that roll through a series of straightaways and freefall curves -- that would be the new ride for the park's 98th season and part of a $4 million renovation project.

Now, "Balloon Flite" and "Starship America" will be adjacent to the carrousel. The "Giant Wheel" ride was removed from that section of the park to accommodate "Turbulence."

That area of the park, known as Carrousel Circle, will be refurbished and renamed Founder's Circle in honor of Milton S. Hershey, the chocolate magnate who opened the park in 1907.

Founder's Circle will have a 1920s and 1930s architectural theme based on the look of the carrousel, which was built in 1919 by the Philadelphia Toboggan Co.

Trees and benches will be added. Brightly painted structures will provide shade and will be designed to mimic the curvature of the carrousel's roof.

The walkway around Founder's Circle will have a sunburst design stamped into the cobblestoned concrete.

In 2003, a fountain and a bronze statue of Hershey were added to that area of the park.

Hersheypark is scheduled to open its 2005 season on May 7.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 12:26 AM
Me?!?

The saga continues LOL

Camp Hill town houses hit snag

Council tables sewer vote for 17th Street
BY CHRIS A. COUROGEN
Of The Patriot-News

Efforts to build town houses on a seven-acre tract north of 17th Street in Camp Hill have hit another snag.

The Borough Council, responding to concerns raised by community activist Molly Robertson, voted Wednesday to table the sewer planning module for the project. The move delays plans by Rhodes Development Group of Lemoyne to build 30 town houses on the site behind the Camp Hill Post Office.

The council must approve the planning module before it can be submitted to the state Department of Environmental Protection, which also would have to approve it before the builders could connect to municipal sewer lines.

The project also is the subject of a lawsuit filed by Aubrey Sledzinski of 400 N. 17th St. on behalf of a coalition of residents in the neighborhood who claim the plans do not conform to the borough's zoning ordinance.

Sledzinski, who also is party to a zoning hearing board appeal of permits for a similar project on the opposite side of 17th Street, questioned how the council could consider the planning module while the case is in litigation.

The borough's solicitor, Steve Feinour, told the council that a zoning hearing board appeal acts as a stay, but a lawsuit does not.

After Mark Malarich, the borough's engineer, recommended approval of the planning module, the council seemed poised to act.

But Robertson objected, telling the council, "I looked over that planning module. ... It was not complete.

"There's some hokey things in there you guys should look at before you approve this," Robertson said.

The council tabled a vote.

By law, the module will be considered approved if the council does not reject it before Dec. 20. A special meeting would have to be held before then if the council wants to reject the plan.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 2:02 AM

In reverse order to your posts......
1) Am I reading the article correctly by reading that they were going to put a 150-foot coaster in that little circle area next to the "Smaller" rides? I must not be reading that right.....

2) Good news for CapitalOne, through it's begining to look like we're cutting AMTRAK out of the Harrisburg-Philly route if they can just connect CapitalOne/CAT to SEPTA. Through given the prices for riding AMTRAK, it may make more sense to just have AMTRAK connect the larger (Philly, New York, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Detroit, etc.) cities together and let the regional transit authorities handle the densely populated areas.

3) As to the new tax, it's actually only $47 for the city and $5 for the school district. Of cource, since the city can't tax the federal/state/county offices, it's a way to tax those who work in the roughly 50 percent of the city that does'nt pay property taxes. Philly (and possibly soon Pittsburgh) have a commuter/payroll tax for that and a few other reasons.

Oddly enough, growth does'nt keep property taxes low for more than a few years, the demand for sewer/water/fire/police/school coverage more than absorbs the new property revenue. Cities in PA end up paying the same for those services no matter how much the local residents can pay property taxes.

Lastly, according to the Dauphin County/DECD propert tax charts, the Harrisburg School District property taxes are the highest in the county, and this on a recently assessed value (unlike some regional counties, where the assessment value is from the 1970s). Just looking at the numbers really drives people from living in the city, which is a real shame. Personally, given a choice between a 45 min./hour commute and living in the city, I'm leaning towards the city.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 2:07 AM

Ummmmmm, I believe I erred in regards to Hersheypark, they were putting the new coaster in where the "Wheel" ride was.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 4:59 PM
Me?!?

I agree, Spudmrg. I do see a very bright future for CorridorONE.

Yeah, the new coaster was going to go where that giant wheel ride was.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2004, 7:26 PM

In case anyone has'nt heard the news:

http://pennlive.com/news/patriotnews...9246558230.xml

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations