HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 16, 2004, 11:54 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

That article was interesting... I never heard of Mr Vartan. Thats the kind of person a city needs to really get things moving. Too bad he wasnt able to get some of his taller projects in motion. That building with the revolving hotel sounds cool.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2004, 1:45 AM
Me?!?

He had a lot of good ideas, PA Pride, but he had a lot of bad ones too...REALLY bad!!! I have mixed feelings about Vartan and he did pull a lot of fast ones on people. But regardless, my condolences to his family and friends...

Whoops LOL :nono:

Local bingo scam uncovered

Councilwoman and 4 others accused in illegal hall operations

Thursday, December 16, 2004
BY REGGIE SHEFFIELD
Of The Patriot-News

Harrisburg City Councilwoman Vera White will be charged with running an illegal bingo hall and never passing along money to charitable groups, Dauphin County District Attorney Edward M. Marsico Jr. said yesterday.

White and four others face charges of illegally operating bingo games in Steelton and Harrisburg, Marsico said.

The Steelton Lion's Club, 310 S. Front St., and Kline Village Bingo, at 38 Kline Plaza, Harrisburg, repeatedly violated the state bingo law, according to a Dauphin County grand jury report.

State law allows bingo to be operated only by licensed charitable organizations. Both clubs employed workers with no ties to charity and failed to provide all proceeds to registered charities, Marsico said.

An attempt to reach White last night was unsuccessful.

The indictments were filed as a result of a report issued last month by a Dauphin County grand jury.

In April and June of 2003, White submitted applications to the Dauphin County treasurer's office to obtain licenses for a bingo hall in Kline Plaza, authorities said.

Each time, the applications were rejected because the organizations named in the applications -- the Capital Athletic Foundation and the Harrisburg Youth Commission -- failed to qualify as civic or charitable organizations. Instead, both were classified as political or governmental bodies.

"Although bingo licenses had been sought and denied, [White] allowed the Kline Village bingo to operate under the belief that the bingo license was valid," Marsico said in a statement released yesterday.

On five occasions from March 2003 through August 2003, White "received funds from bingo operations and never turned those funds over to the charitable organizations," Marsico said.

The organizer of both bingo halls, Joseph A. Sersch Jr., formerly of 5 Gloucester Place, Harrisburg, faces eight violations of the state bingo law and six counts of theft.

Bank records showed that Sersch had $250,000 in bingo checks deposited into his accounts during 2003, according to the grand jury report. By law, Sersch is permitted to earn a total of $10,400 per year from bingo.

Sersch organized and managed the daily operations of the bingo hall in the Steelton's Lions Club, according to the grand jury report. He also organized the Kline Village Bingo Hall, the grand jury report stated.

In the spring of 2004, Sersch sold his townhouse for about $70,000, and in June he and his family moved into an estate valued at about $599,000, the grand jury report said.

Sersch and his household are the registered owners or lessors of two Jaguars and a 2004 Hummer, according to the grand jury report.

"Charities are to benefit from bingo operations, not unscrupulous operators," Marsico said.

"Charities should be vigilant and involved in all aspects of bingo operations to ensure that they are receiving their rightful proceeds," he said.

Others facing charges include Cynthia Zeigler, who faces six counts of violating the state bingo law; Nicole Wilkerson, who faces three counts of violating the state bingo law; and Josephine Potts, who faces six counts of violating the state bingo law.

Potts and Wilkerson operated the Kline Village Bingo operation on behalf of Sersch, the grand jury said. Cynthia Zeigler, Sersch's sister, worked at the Steelton address, according to the grand jury report.

Theft of funds in excess of $2,500 is a third-degree felony punishable with up to seven years in prison. Bingo-law violations are first-degree misdemeanors punishable by up to five years in prison.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2004, 1:47 AM
Me?!?

:tdown:

Dauphin County residents blast tax increase

Despite complaints, commissioners adopt 19% hike

Thursday, December 16, 2004
BY JACK SHERZER
Of The Patriot-News

To John Trish, the unanimous decision by Dauphin County's commissioners to raise real estate taxes by 19 percent just makes life harder.

"I've been out of work since 1998," said the Lower Paxton Twp. resident, saying he's had multiple brain tumor operations and now pays his own health care costs. "If I'm forced to pinch and pinch and pinch, I don't see why you shouldn't have to pinch and pinch and pinch."

More than 30 area residents crowded yesterday's commissioners meeting. While some said they understood the needs behind the increase, many others urged finding ways to cut further.

"You've made some cuts this year [but] where I'm coming from is, if you raise taxes to this degree, will you have incentive to make cuts in the future?" asked Jason Smith, president of Citizens for a Better Harrisburg, which up to now had focused on spending by the city's mayor, Stephen R. Reed. "I would encourage you to not take the whole increase as an incentive to make further cuts."

Under the county's $165 million budget for 2005, someone with a home assessed at $100,000 will pay $687.60 in real estate taxes, a $109.80 increase.

This increase comes on the heels of a 19.5 percent increase that helped fund this year's budget.

Smith and others questioned whether the tax increase is justified when the county will have millions in reserve -- reserves the commissioners say are necessary to maintain the county's credit rating and to cover any emergencies.

In an unusual move, the commissioners also received a petition from Harrisburg Councilwoman Gloria Martin-Payne, signed by herself and council members Eric Waters, Linda Thompson and Susan Brown Wilson.

"We understand there has to be some tax increase, just that 19 percent is excessive and will have a rippling effect on people who are already struggling right now to pay their mortgages," said Martin-Payne.

Commission Chairman Jeff Haste again called for state lawmakers to give counties revenue sources other than property taxes. When he ran for office last year, he warned that a 40 percent tax increase over two years would be necessary to fix overspending done by the previous commissioners.

"This if nothing else screams loud and clear that the day has come for municipal tax reform," Haste said.

Haste added that 75 percent of Pennsylvania's counties have had to raise taxes in the past two years, many passing double-digit increases.

"Most of what counties do are required by the state and federal governments," said Haste, the only commissioner to make a comment at the meeting. "The funding never keeps up with the cost of services."

Dauphin County's budget includes plans to lay off 13 employees and not fill 24 vacancies, which officials say will save $1.9 million next year and $8 million through 2008. There are a few more than 2,000 employees.

Under the proposed budget, the county is projecting surpluses of $9.5 million for this year; $17.2 million in 2005; $16.3 million in 2006; $12.5 million in 2007 and a $5 million surplus in 2008.

Without the tax increase, the county was projecting a $9.3 million deficit in 2006 and a $47 million deficit by 2008. Insufficient reserves caused the New York-based bond rating agency Standard & Poor's recently to put a negative outlook on the county's AA bond rating.

A lowered rating would mean the county would pay more to borrow money. And the good bond rating allowed the county to earn a $1.75 million fee for backing the bonds Harrisburg is using to rebuild its incinerator.

Health care increases of 30 percent and rising debt service payments are other main factors driving the budget, officials said. Roughly half of the $100 million in county debt was racked up by the previous board, which built a new section of the county's nursing home and bought and renovated the new county administration building.

Harrisburg resident Jim Hricak told the commissioners he realized the previous board spent money to buy the administration building, but said he still thought the current board needed to do something to not hit people with such a large tax increase.

"Please, in the midst of all this complexity, remember the little guy," Hricak said. "We just can't afford it."

Old Posted Dec 18, 2004, 4:06 PM
Me?!?

OUCH!!! Adding insult to injury for M-town residents. :tdown:

Middletown budget OK rips council

Saturday, December 18, 2004
By DIANA STRICKER
For The Patriot-News

Middletown finally has a budget for 2005, but it's going to be costly for property owners.

The $43 million budget Borough Council approved by a 5-4 vote Wednesday requires a property tax increase of 40 percent. It also caused a rift among council members.

Three councilmen walked out of the meeting after the vote to approve the budget, and a fourth claimed the voting procedure was flawed.

"This is the most unusual and undemocratic process I have seen," John Patten said after he wasn't allowed to ask a question before the vote.

The council traditionally permits members to discuss a motion before a vote is taken, but that wasn't allowed Wednesday.

Despite Patten's protest, the borough solicitor said the voting procedure was legal.

Councilmen Christopher McNamara, Robert Long and David Rhen left the meeting immediately after their votes didn't block passage of the budget.

In fact, they left before the vote to raise property taxes by 1.3 mills and to increase water and sewer rates by 29 percent each. Those motions passed 5-1, with Patten casting the negative vote.

"I don't understand that," council President Danny Crawford in regard to the opposition. "They've had many, many meetings to address things."

Councilwoman Kerri Golden, who chairs the finance committee, said the tax increase is needed to maintain the status quo. She chastised those who did not take part in the budget process since talks began in July.

"Those who worked on this budget for the last five months were completely open to any idea that would have avoided a tax increase," Golden said in a statement she read during the meeting. "But I warn the public to be leery of false promises. Action speaks louder than words, and some of my peers chose to not come to our meetings."

She said that although the borough plans to adopt the new $52 per year emergency and municipal services tax on workers, how much revenue would result is uncertain. The tax was recently signed into law as an option for municipalities.

Golden said estimates call for Middletown to raise between $70,000 and $110,000 annually from the tax, but that could result in a revenue shortfall without the increase in property taxes.

"It would be irresponsible to change the 2005 budget based on a guess of about how much a new tax may or may not yield," Golden said.

In early November, the council voted 7-1 to advertise the proposed budget and tax increase. Last week, the same budget failed by a 4-3 vote, with two absentees.

Patten said he wanted to discuss the possibility of using the new revenue to offset the increase in property taxes.

"You can't run a council on a maybe," Councilwoman Rachelle Reid said.

Although the borough finalized the 2005 budget, there has been no resolution of the police contract, which will expire Dec. 31. In addition, non-uniformed employees have been working under the terms of their old contract, which expired at the end of 2003.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2004, 11:23 PM

Location: I find myself surrounded by highways, fast food, and warehouses
Ouch, at the rate Middletown taxes/sewer fees are going, it will be cheaper to live in Harrisburg city. Does anyone have the schedule for the strawberry drop this year in market square?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2004, 4:52 AM

According to today's Patriot-News (http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriot...2455745531.xml), the Cumberland county commisioners are pulling out of the regional tourist group. This means two counties (Cumberland and Lebanon) have pulled out in favor of single-county efforts. Quite honestly, I'm somewhat confused on how this will be more effcient, as hershey is the center of the local tourist market (as is Lancaster, but Cumberland apparently wants some sort of other arrangement there).

While I entertain the idea that tourism promotion is best run at the county level, it's rather difficult for counties to be expected to pay to promote tourism when they get no direct benifit from tourism (as counties are almost 100 percent run off of property taxes, not sales taxes). While part or most of the tourism money may come from the various Regional Impact Fees or Hotel Room Taxes, it's really not enough to encourage counties to agressively promote tourism.

On the flip side, we have the situation down in Lancaster City/County with the Lancaster County Convention Center project, where the project was tied up for years by the local hotels who were somewhat upset that taxes they paid would go to fund a rival hotel and convention center. That fight has been going on for almost a decade now, and while the lawsuit was finally dropped, the funding still is'nt solid on building what is now a 5-star hotel and convention center that could go up to 18 stories high, and I don't think they have parking set up yet.

:sigh: Think what the local counties could do if they teamed up, like with CorridorOne and such. If it was'nt for Rep. Tim Holden and Sen. Arlen Spector, that project would still be a dream. I'm more than tired enough of I-83 at rush hour to seriously consider using CorridorOne if the price and train times were right.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2004, 2:50 AM
Me?!?

Cumberland County is a joke. Stupid mistake after stupid mistake in my opinion...

Here's some really cool news!!!

NEWS INFORMATION FROM
THE OFFICE OF MAYOR STEPHEN R. REED
City of Harrisburg
King City Government Center
Harrisburg, PA 17101-1678
Telephone: 717.255.3040
FOR IMMEDIATE USE
20 December 2004

NEAPOLITAN-STYLE SEAFOOD RESTAURANT OPENS IN DOWNTOWN
Harrisburg, PA – Mayor Stephen R. Reed today cut the ribbon on another new restaurant in downtown Harrisburg as Sophia’s Seafood Restaurant officially opened at 405 Walnut Street. The elegant new dining attraction features an Italian seafood menu and Mediterranean décor.

Reed said Sophia Seafood Restaurant is owned and operated by successful dining entrepreneur Adriana Isernia, who also recently opened the Tuscan Sun eatery in Strawberry Square’s Food Court. The distinctive new dining attraction occupies 1,000 sq. ft. of restored space and provides seating for over 50 patrons. Four new full and part time jobs are created by the restaurant’s opening.

Reed said Sophia’s is now open Tuesdays through Saturdays from 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. The new dining attraction can be reached at (717) 236.3980.

The Mayor said Sophia’s will feature a unique Neapolitan-style menu, and specializes in fresh seafood. Sophia’s is the first seafood-oriented restaurant to open in the downtown. Isernia, who will also serve as head chef for the new restaurant, learned his trade will living in Naples, Italy.

“We are delighted to welcome this distinctive new dining attraction to the city,” said the Mayor. “Adriana Isernia clearly knows what he’s doing when it comes to good food, and we are very pleased to see his entrepreneurial efforts continue to grow and succeed.

NEWS INFORMATION FROM
City of Harrisburg
FOR IMMEDIATE USE
15 December 2004

DeLEON DELI GROCERY & RESTAURANT
Harrisburg, PA – Mayor Stephen R. Reed today cut the ribbon at grand opening ceremonies for the new DeLeon’s Deli Grocery and Restaurant at 1347 Vernon Street in the heart of Allison Hill. The new combination grocery retailer and dining venue offers an array of unique services and conveniences for neighborhood residents and visitors.

Reed said the new retail grocer and restaurant is owned and operated by Pedro and Aderly DeLeon, and occupies 1,800 sq. ft. of restored space at 1347 Vernon Street. DeLeon’s features a wide array of grocery and other fresh foods, personal care items and sundries, and fresh deli meats and cheeses. The restaurant offers American and Latin cuisine and can seat eight patrons. Take-out and delivery services are also available.

The Mayor noted that in addition to substantial private investment by DeLeon, $35,000 in start-up funding for the new business was provided by the Community First Fund.

“We are very pleased to welcome this distinctive new grocer and restaurant to Allison Hill,” said Mayor Reed. “This is a unique blending of a neighborhood-based corner store with a quality food-service operation, with both conveniently located for residents and visitors alike. Our congratulations and appreciation is extended to Pedro and Aderly DeLeon for their substantial investment and effort, and we also thank the Community First Fund for helping make the project feasible.”

The Mayor said DeLeon Deli Grocery and Restaurant is open Mondays through Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. They can be reached at (717) 232.4221.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2004, 2:52 AM
Me?!?

:carrot: :carrot:

NEWS INFORMATION FROM
City of Harrisburg
FOR IMMEDIATE USE
15 December 2004

Holden Announces over $2.4 Million in Federal Earmarks for Dauphin County

WASHINGTON, D.C. (DECEMBER 15, 2004) - At a press conference and check presentation held today, Congressman Tim Holden announced $2,468,250 million in earmarked federal funds. Congressman Holden presented checks to Mayor Stephen R. Reed, City of Harrisburg for four projects in Dauphin County.

Specifically, these projects include:

(1) Harrisburg University
$1 million from the Department of Education will provide for laboratory curriculum development, equipment and technology to create a comprehensive university that will integrate an affiliated high school level preparatory school and business incubator. The institution will provide education and foster economic development through a seamless transition from high school to the university to gainful employment in the technology industry. The business incubator will give students a different perspective on learning with hands-on experience through internships as well as the ability to explore, foster and grow business ideas.

(2) Harrisburg Transportation Center
The Harrisburg Transportation Center will use the $1 million earmark to complete renovations to the center. The additional renovations to this intermodal rail facility project are integral to the future implementation of the Corridor One Light Rail Project and Keystone Corridor System Improvements.

(3) Harrisburg Sewer
Harrisburg will use its $250,000 EPA earmark to fund its development of a comprehensive plan to reduce nitrogen loading emanating from their Advanced Wastewater Treatment Facility (AWTF). The AWTF is the largest point service contributor of nitrogen to the Chesapeake Bay in the Susquehanna River Basin. Annually, the AWTF contributes approximately 1.0 million pounds of nitrogen to the Bay. The Susquehanna River Basin is the single cont. from single largest freshwater source for the Chesapeake Bay and Pennsylvania accounts for 21,000 square miles of the total 67,000 square miles of the Bay drainage area. The earmark funding will be used for exploring options in both existing and new technology to address the AWTF problem. Through this search, one technology will be chosen to pursue through preliminary design in order that construction and operating costs could be refined.

(4) CorridorONE
218,250 from HUD’s EDI account to go towards CorridorOne's administrative expenses. “I am very pleased that I was successful in securing funding for these important projects in Dauphin County,” commented Holden. “I believe one of my primary responsibilities as Congressman is to bring federal resources back to Pennsylvania to help my constituents.

“We are very pleased to receive these funds and extend our appreciation to Congressman Holden for his diligent efforts in securing such,” said Mayor Stephen R. Reed. “These allocations are vital to some major city redevelopment projects that will be of benefit to the entire region.”

Old Posted Dec 24, 2004, 3:00 PM
Me?!?

Oh no, not this again!!! Freakin' Cumberland County.

CUMBERLAND COUNTY

Attention directed to bus network

Thursday, December 23, 2004
BY MATT MILLER
Of Our Carlisle Bureau

CARLISLE - A trip to Pittsburgh has left some Cumberland County leaders keener to explore a bus rapid transit network for the West Shore, rather than a system that would use trains.

Commissioner Rick Rovegno, transportation authority member Thomas Sweeney and Planning Director Kirk Stoner spent Dec. 17 riding the Steel City's commuter rail and express bus systems.

The trip was sponsored by Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.

The bus system is efficient and promotes economic development along its route, they told the county transportation authority yesterday.

"There may be some good applications for us here," Sweeney said.

Cumberland County commissioners are urging consideration of a Mechanicsburg-to-Harrisburg bus line as a supplement -- or alternative -- to the proposed Corridor One commuter rail.

Corridor One is a proposed $76 million plan, calling for commuter trains on 54 miles of track between Lancaster and Carlisle.

The trains are scheduled to start running between Lancaster and Harrisburg in late 2007, and would serve Harrisburg International Airport. Service is scheduled to expand west to Mechanicsburg in 2008 and to Carlisle in 2010.

The bus rapid transit line would be built along a Norfolk Southern rail line that also is being eyed for the commuter rail. The cost of the bus line has been estimated at $50 million.

Buses would pick up riders in surrounding neighborhoods, then use the buses for unimpeded runs to and from the city.

Cumberland County's commissioners have not signed on with the proposal to launch Corridor One on a Lancaster-to-Harrisburg-to-Mechanicsburg route.

Capital Area Transit, the midstate's largest bus provider, and Modern Transit Partnership, which is promoting Corridor One, have called the rail option superior to the bus line. Those agencies deemed the rail option superior.

Rovegno said a bus line is worth exploring since "rail can be three times as expensive to build and operate as buses."

Sweeney said Pittsburgh's bus system, run by Port Authority of Allegheny County, has eastern and western arms. The western arm averages 8,500 riders daily, he said.

Port Authority officials "were skeptical that [commuter] rail could be effective at that level of ridership," Sweeney said.

Modern Transit Partnership has estimated initial daily ridership for Corridor One at 3,500.

Stoner said "significant economic development" has occurred along the Pittsburgh bus lines, where facilities are placed to afford commuters opportunities to shop while they wait for buses.

"Economic development will happen whether it's light rail, commuter rail or busways if you do it right," Stoner said.

Authority member Larry Joyce said a problem with a West Shore bus line is that commuters would have to get off the buses in Harrisburg and board a Corridor One train to get to Harrisburg International Airport.

"Accessing the airport is important," Rovegno replied. "But what is going to make this rise or fall is the work-commuting trips."

Joyce also wondered whether buses would lure local commuters.

Authority Chairman Mary Lehman said a bus line is worth investigating; but noted that Pittsburgh commuters, unlike those on the West Shore, have a history of using public transportation.

Rovegno said Port Authority officials told him "they have been able to attract the middle class to the buses."

Those riders will be paying more.

The Port Authority has announced plans for fare boosts and service reductions. Pittsburgh's and Philadelphia's transit systems face operating deficits and are asking the state for financial help.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2004, 11:03 PM
joining the rail club

Rovegno is an ass. Instead of working with MTP, CAT, the City, and 5 other county agencies planning on Corridor One, he is working against them by proposing/suggesting the BRT option. Even if both options are taken to construction and implimentation status, they would work against each other by making patrons switch service providers and transit infrastructure. Cumberland County is so backwards when it comes to progress.

Anyway, I hope your doing well Dave. Thanks for the updates

Old Posted Dec 28, 2004, 5:26 PM
joining the rail club

PERKING UP DOWNTOWN
Middletown takes first step toward economic growth

Tuesday, December 28, 2004
BY DIANA STRICKER
For The Patriot-News

Middletown is hoping to qualify for the state's Main Street program to bring new life to the borough's downtown business district.

But the Greater Middletown Economic Development Corp. hopes that will be just the beginning of a broader plan to pump life into the borough and surrounding towns.

"This is the first step that we believe will revitalize the Middletown area," said Joseph Sukle Jr., chairman of the corporation.

The corporation was formed last year to boost the economic development of Middletown, Royalton and Highspire boroughs, and the adjacent townships of Lower Swatara and Londonderry.

The Main Street initiative, which is the corporation's first project, would be an impetus to spur regional growth, Sukle said.

"This area is at the cusp of some incredible development," Sukle said, noting the region's close proximity to the newly renovated Harrisburg International Airport and Penn State Harrisburg.

Middletown Borough Council recently approved a resolution enabling the corporation to apply for the Main Street designation and for a $175,000 grant from the state Department of Community and Economic Development.

The state agency sponsors Main Street programs to help communities rejuvenate downtown business and retail districts.

Middletown council also agreed to an initial financial commitment of $5,000. The corporation has pledged to raise an additional $85,000 from corporations and private grants.

Sukle told council it is important for municipal leaders to work together and "to squint their eyes and blur the distinction between communities."

The corporation held public forums through the year to gain public support and to solicit ideas about revitalization.

"I was very encouraged at the response we received from the communities," Sukle said.

The board is comprised of business leaders and elected officials from the five municipalities. The first two goals of the corporation are to establish the Main Street program in Middletown and to work toward the economic revitalization of each community.

Kerry Golden, a member of the corporation and a Middletown councilwoman, said the projects will require cooperation from residents, business owners, civic leaders and elected officials.

She said a regional approach is essential but can be challenging.

"It can be very difficult for the community leaders and the taxpayers to look beyond their borders," Golden said.

Committees have been formed to develop a list of projects for the Main Street program.

"We've very excited about the Main Street program. It's a great first step," Golden said.

"Hopefully the excitement will spread," she said. "This is not going to happen overnight. We need the community to stick with us."

Communities that receive Main Street status typically undertake projects such as facade improvements for storefronts and preservation of historical buildings.

One of the first steps is to hire a Main Street manager, establish an office and develop promotional material.

"We have so much to offer," Golden said. "But we're concerned about empty storefronts. We hope the Main Street program will bring back businesses."

The corporation will submit applications to the state this month and anticipates a response in about six months.
http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriot...9363166312.xml

Old Posted Dec 29, 2004, 2:19 AM

re: restaurant....it's good that more restaurants are opening beyond second street, we need this diversity continuing so we'll have an area of restaurants/shops instead of one street

re: Rovegno .... as wrightchr said, he is an ass. for the life of me, i don't know why he is so vehemently opposed to rail. cumberland county can afford to spend a little bit of taxes for this. sometimes i wonder why people live on this shore...

Old Posted Dec 29, 2004, 5:45 PM

At the risk of looking foolish, where exactly are the various areas of Harrisburg City proper, in terms of streets and landmarks. For instance, I can never figure out where midtown/uptown and such are.

As for this bus/train arguement, I can actually understand the Cumberland side of this arguement, but I have yet to see any detailed study of a dedicated bus-only route system. More to the point, I doubt that it is at all possible, because the only cross-river routes that arn't already used as roads are the rail lines, and the cost to convert rail lines to bus lanes makes CorridorONE look cheap(that 50 million price looks somewhat one the low side). Thanks to AMTRAK, we already know that trains can be run from Lancaster to Harrisburg, but the west shore part is in doubt. As for the rest of the CorridorOne debate.....we'll see.

EDIT: Reference made to the early cost estimate of 50 million for a bus-only lane.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2004, 4:30 PM

"Any excuse for a party" comes to mind here.....we've got some crazy new year events. Have a safe and happy new years!

http://www.pennlive.com/entertainmen...5665258980.xml

New Year's: Midstate loves to get drop on it
Heads up! Midstate communities are ready for New Year's
Thursday, December 30, 2004
BY KIRA L. SCHLECHTER, BARRY FOX AND LI WANG
Of The Patriot-News
What is it with New Year's Eve and dropping things from lofty heights? The folks in New York's Times Square started it all with the lighted apple and later the fancy Waterford crystal orb. These days in cities statewide, more things fall on the big night than snowflakes in winter.

Here in the midstate, we have arguably the widest variety of dropped things anywhere: strawberry cows, pickles, pretzels, bolognas, anchors, roses, huckleberries, sleds, canalboats and hard hats, to name several.

HARRISBURG

Strawberry Drop, 9 p.m.-midnight at the Hilton Harrisburg & Towers, 1 N. Second St. Free. Information, call 255-3020 or go to www.harrisburgpa.gov.

The M&T Bank New Year's Eve celebration will include music by The Impact Band, hot beverages, children's entertainment, horse-drawn carriage rides, a fireworks display and, of course, the dropping of the city's giant, lighted strawberry at midnight.

Popcorn Hat Players New Year's Eve Party for Children Countdown to Noon, 11 a.m.-noon (doors open at 10:30 a.m.) in the Sunoco Theater at Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts, 222 Market St., Harrisburg. Tickets are $15. Information, call 238-4111.

As is the tradition there will be noisemakers, party hats and lunch. This year's featured show will be "Hansel & Gretel."

A Rockin' New Year's Eve Celebration at the Crowne Plaza Harrisburg, 26 S. Second St., 8 p.m.-2 a.m. Tickets are $15. Information, call 221-1130.

Bridges And A Bottle, The Underwater, Running From Dharma and The Commercials will say farewell to 2004 and ring in the new year in their own special way.

PS-Does anyone know what the new year party at the Crown Plaza is like?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2004, 8:54 PM
Me?!?

Good riddance. :carrot:

Movie theater closes at Capital City Mall

Thursday, December 30, 2004

The United Artists Capital City Mall 6 movie theater complex

closed on Dec. 20 as part of an $11 million renovation plan for the Lower Allen Twp. mall.

Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust, owner of Capital City Mall, plans to convert the space used by the movie theaters into a food court and turn the existing food court into 30,000 square feet of specialty retail space.

The six-screen movie theater will become an eight-bay food court with two family restaurants. The work is expected to be completed by the fourth quarter of 2005.

The theater space, which was leased on a month-to-month basis, is attached to the mall but does not have direct access to the stores. The renovation plan calls for a walkway to link the planned food court to the mall stores.

Regal Entertainment Group, which owns United Artists, has announced plans for a 14-screen theater at Camp Hill Shopping Mall. But those plans have not been finalized.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2004, 8:57 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudmrg
At the risk of looking foolish, where exactly are the various areas of Harrisburg City proper, in terms of streets and landmarks. For instance, I can never figure out where midtown/uptown and such are.
Instead of me explaining it all check this out, Spudmrg. LOADED with info and cool pics.

http://www.harrisburgpa.gov/visitors.../overview.html

*After you view the map, click under the different areas in the "Neighborhoods" section on the left.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2005, 1:51 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Harrisburg rules!! This is not in response to any particular post; I just mean in general. Ive driven through it multiple times in my life, but Ive never explored it or had the opportunity to enjoy it up close and personal.

EastsideHBG: Since you seem like the most avid supporter of this place, tell me some interesting facts about it, please! I like nightlife/bars/lounges; musical venues; girls. What is HBG's nightlife like? Is there alot of pretty girls around? Is there like a good entertainment district like Pittsburgh's SouthSide (east carson street) or the Strip District? or like Phillys SouthStreet?

I hope harrisburg gets some skyscrapers someday... Dont get me wrong, I already appreciate the existing skyline but it is a bit paltry. It seems like the area is growing fast. Ive seen alot of new construction and buildings in the area when I drive through it, so Im guessing there must be decent wealth in the area. Also, there is all the Pennsylvania state thieves, I mean politicians, living there so they are siphoning all the states money to pay for nice housing developments and restaurants and such. Do you think Harrisburg will build some nice skyscrapers in the next couple of decades, perhaps some 300-600 footers? Also, is the local economy as vibrant as it appears based on all the new construction....

If Harrisburg is half as cool as Pittsburgh or Philadelphia, then im sure its a great place! PA Pride for life baby!!!!! Woooooo! ( I plan on getting the keystone symbol tattoed on the top of my back like 6 by 8 inches or so) Thats how much I love my home state!

Thanks for any info you can give me to help me have a deeper appreciation for the H-burgh!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2005, 6:40 AM

Thank you EastSide, through I'm sure I'll get my landmarks confused occasionally....

For anyone at market square 2 hours ago.....that was something! The fireworks were actually bouncing off of the M&T building, and you could hear them quite well The mayor had something to say, but I could'nt make it out where I was standing. Hope everyone enjoys 2005.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2005, 4:10 PM
Me?!?

/\
Yeah DT was PACKED last night!!! I had a really good time. Too bad my batteries in my digital were dead and I didn't feel like pushing through the crowd to get to a store to get some new ones. So no pics this year. Too bad too, they would've been great for the forum.

Market Square Plaza is coming along real nice too. PA Pride, this is one of our new high rises. I have some pics of it but they aren't up anymore. I'll have to upload them again soon and show them to you. We have another high rise in the works too that is going to rival our tallest AND it will be mostly residential!!! So our skyline is changing rather rapidly these days.

PA Pride, I'll answer your other questions in a minute. But first, more sprawl!!! I guess this development could be worse, though.

Middlesex OKs 1,000-home Pennterra plan

Saturday, January 01, 2005
BY ELIZABETH GIBSON
Of Our Carlisle Bureau

CARLISLE - A massive housing development planned for Middlesex Twp. received unanimous approval from supervisors this week.

Pennterra calls for 1,000 homes to be built in mini-villages surrounding a community center. The site is just north of Interstate 81 near Carlisle.

Developer Terravant Land Company of California expects all homes, from condominiums to mansions, to be sold by 2012. The project will dramatically alter 500 acres of farmland off Country Club Road.

"We're obviously very pleased," said Fred Kayne, Terravant chairman.

Kayne, of Beverly Hills, Calif., has owned a share of the Middlesex property since the early 1980s and has introduced development plans over the years.

Each plan stalled in the midst of being designed. "It took a long time and a lot of effort. I think we brought in the right people" to work on Pennterra, Kayne said.

In what is, for Middlesex, a novel approach to development, houses will be closer to streets and one another so more land can be preserved in its natural state. Half of the tract, which hugs a long stretch of the Conodoguinet Creek, will remain undeveloped except for walking and horse trails.

The project centerpiece will be a community center built around a historic farmstead with shops, a spa, health club, pool and restaurant and room for a post office and elementary school.

"We look forward to this project coming in," Supervisor Victor Stabile said.

He said Terravant's predictions that homes will sell within seven to eight years is as unique as the development's design. "That's going to set a new trend in this county if [the] marketing study is correct," he said.

Typically, large projects are constructed one small section at a time, said Jim Snyder, an engineer with Herbert Rowland and Grubic Inc. of Harrisburg.

Pennterra villages will be erected by separate builders working simultaneously so most houses will be on the market at the same time, he said.

Bob Shenk, also with Herbert Rowland, said the builders would break ground in early spring.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2005, 4:32 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride
EastsideHBG: Since you seem like the most avid supporter of this place, tell me some interesting facts about it, please! I like nightlife/bars/lounges; musical venues; girls. What is HBG's nightlife like? Is there alot of pretty girls around? Is there like a good entertainment district like Pittsburgh's SouthSide (east carson street) or the Strip District? or like Phillys SouthStreet?
The night life is A LOT better then it used to be and you will find most of it on 2nd St. downtown (nicknamed "Restaurant Row"). There are a decent amount of block parties/live music on the streets in the summer. For a place its size, HBG has a lot to offer. Compared to years ago, it's night and day...

Yes, there are A LOT of pretty girls around. But IMO this is a PA/America in general thing anymore. But I would argue that for a city its size, HBG has more then its fair share. In fact, a guy from northern PA who now lives in Philly struck up a conversation with my friend and I last night and he said he was shocked at how much there was to do here and how hot the women were. It was his first time here and he said he was impressed and will be back for sure. In the summer, I meet a lot of people visiting from Baltimore for some reason. I guess they just want something different to do.

Of course this all comes with a price. The police had to step up their patrols DT and even bring in the horses EVERY weekend now because of the rowdiness. Noise is a HUGE complaint from the DT residents and it's not going to get any better with all the new stuff that pops up down there.

Quote:
I hope harrisburg gets some skyscrapers someday... Dont get me wrong, I already appreciate the existing skyline but it is a bit paltry. It seems like the area is growing fast. Ive seen alot of new construction and buildings in the area when I drive through it, so Im guessing there must be decent wealth in the area.
See my above post re: the skyscrapers. And yes, there is a lot of wealth here. Million dollar neighborhoods spring up in the 'burbs all the time now. I wonder where the hell these people work LOL

Quote:
Do you think Harrisburg will build some nice skyscrapers in the next couple of decades, perhaps some 300-600 footers?
Well the new one will be over 300 ft.

Our skyline is pretty short because there was a gentleman's agreement of sorts for decades around the Capitol, things were not to go higher then the dome. But with this new tower, I feel that is going to change (at least in the areas not immediately around the Capitol). I don't think anything super tall will ever come to HBG but some more 300ft.+, sure.

Quote:
Also, is the local economy as vibrant as it appears based on all the new construction....
We currently have and have had for a few years now the lowest unemployment rate in the state. Right now it's at 3.6%.

Quote:
If Harrisburg is half as cool as Pittsburgh or Philadelphia, then im sure its a great place! PA Pride for life baby!!!!! Woooooo! ( I plan on getting the keystone symbol tattoed on the top of my back like 6 by 8 inches or so) Thats how much I love my home state!

Thanks for any info you can give me to help me have a deeper appreciation for the H-burgh!
Yeah, for cities in PA, it's one of my favorites for sure. I'm never bored here and there is more then enough to do. Every day we get more and more stuff and big names are taking notice and moving into the area (which can be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it). For example, we went from having no free-standing Starbucks last year to 3 with more on the way. Things are changing here super-fast and the rate of development is through the roof. The area really does have a lot to offer and one couldn't go wrong living here.

Oh and btw, your tattoo idea is interesting.

I hope I answered your questions, PA Pride. Thanks for the interest and if you ever have any more always feel free to fire away. In the warmer months I do quite a few HBG photo threads so keep an eye out for them too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations