HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 7, 2005, 11:44 PM
Me?!?

/\
I ponder this all the time, Spudmrg. My guess is near Townhouse Suites (6th & Boas; near Forrester St. and some of the gov't bldgs.) and further up 6th/7th ("Northern Gateway"). I can see parts of Front St. too being good for residential. I agree with you re: 4th & Market and I see that being commercial and not residential. Why not, and I have no problem with this really.

What about the empty lot on 2nd St. in front of the newer 2nd St. garage? The plans for the large, 3-story restaurant was canceled and it is said that will be an office building now. IMO it's too deep in the craziness on 2nd St. to be residential. We do need more residential buildings DT IMO, though. And I think they should be lofts and/or condos, something that people can own if they so desire.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2005, 11:47 PM
Me?!?

We just keep sprawling away. The growth around here is :nuts: Welcome to the "Sunbelt of PA"!!!

Growth may ease sewer problems

New houses to make townshipwide service possible, Swatara officials say

Monday, March 07, 2005
BY MARY KLAUS
Of The Patriot-News

An imminent population explosion in Swatara Twp. may solve a decades-old concern, township officials say.

Commissioners President Gregory Ricci said five housing developments might help the township deal with the lack of public sewerage in a large part of Chambers Hill.

The developments will have public sewerage, but developers will be responsible for arranging service to their properties, Ricci said.

"It would cost the township $10 million to $12 million to build the sewage system we need to serve all the new houses," he said.

"When the builders are providing sewer lines to their own properties, we want to put more lines in and allow existing homes to hook up to them," Swatara Twp. administrator Paul Cornell said.

The developments would add more than 370 houses and town houses, said Richard Bazdar, township code enforcement director.

The developments include:
  • Ivy Ridge -- 47 single-family houses and 106 town houses off Orchard Drive on 82 acres owned by Triple Crown Corp. of Lower Paxton Twp.
  • Hoffman Heights -- 82 single-family houses off Hoffman Drive in Chambers Hill on 37 acres being developed by Miller-Warner Construction Co. of Lancaster.
  • Chambers Pointe -- starting with 19 single-family houses to be built by developer Francis McNaughton on 118 acres off Gaynor Lane on the east side of Chambers Hill.
  • Highland Ridge -- 26 houses to be built by McNaughton off 82nd Street in Chambers Hill.
  • Spring Creek Hollow/Kendale Oaks II -- 94 houses to be built on 69 acres off 71st Street in Rutherford. Bazdar said the land is owned and being developed by A. Richard Szeles, Deborah B. Szeles, Alexander R. Szeles, Delerose E. Szeles, Brian J. Szeles, Margaret Szeles, Shain P. DeVan and Diane J. DeVan.
Bazdar said plans also are in the works for a 56-pad mobile home park off Highspire Road near the Lower Swatara Twp. border. He said Michael Berner of Hershey owns the 19-acre site.

Cornell said Swatara Twp. has 8,600 properties, with 7,750 served by public sewerage.

"The other 850 properties, mostly in Chambers Hill, have on-lot septic systems," Cornell said.

Swatara Twp. Commissioner Larry Bekelja said township officials were "shortsighted" in not providing public sewerage to the whole township when the township sewage treatment plant was built in the 1970s along Route 322.

Cornell said the township looked into putting public sewerage in Chambers Hill for years, but hasn't because it's not financially feasible.

"DEP officials told us that not every property needs public sewers. According to DEP, a septic system fails if it can't handle any more or if it works too well by not treating the sewage, just letting it go to the water table," he said.

While residential growth often leads to more municipal services and higher taxes, Cornell said the township is in a commercial growth phase and consequently is receiving a lot of money from commercial properties.

"Businesses generally have higher assessments than homeowners," he said. "Our businesses bring in taxes and make it easier on the homeowners."

Old Posted Mar 8, 2005, 1:11 AM
Me?!?

NEWS INFORMATION FROM THE OFFICE OF MAYOR STEPHEN R. REED

City of Harrisburg
King City Government Center
Harrisburg, PA 17101-1678
Telephone: 717.255.3040

FOR IMMEDIATE USE

March 2 2005

STATEMENT OF THE CITY REGARDING THE PROPOSED CONDOMINIUM PROJECT AT 2901 NORTH FRONT STREET

“Since its receipt, the Planned Residential Development for 2901 North Front Street has been given a thorough review, as is the case for any submissions received by the City.

“The City very strongly supports the creation of condominiums and other housing that accommodates the demand for first-class housing – just as the City also strongly supports the creation of affordable housing for all income groups.

“In this instance, the proposed project for 2901 North Front Street creates two issues which are insurmountable:

(1) The Pennsylvania Municipal Planning Code makes it clear that a PRD—a Planned Residential Development – cannot be done in a residential zone such as what presently exists at and around 2901 North Front Street; as such, state law would prohibit the approval of the project at the proposed location;

(2) further, it is also clear that if approval for this project occurred, the City would create the absolute precedent that would make it possible for any of the other mansions anywhere on Front Street to also be eliminated in favor of newly constructed office buildings or other new structures to replace existing mansions; this is a precedent that the City could not legally ignore and it is a precedent that inevitably would be used by other property owners and developers to seek the demolition of existing Front Street structures; for the obvious reason, the City cannot allow such a precedent to occur.

“It is therefore the recommendation of the City that the project not proceed at 2901 North Front Street. The City does believe that the project is viable at alternate locations that do not involve the demolition of Front Street mansions or properties of an historic nature and the City is fully willing and able to assist the developer in finding alternate sites to allow such to occur within the parameters se by the state Planning Code and the city’s Zoning Code provisions.”

“The project proposed is a splendid one but it must be sited in a way as to not raise the obstacles described.”

Old Posted Mar 8, 2005, 1:15 AM
Me?!?

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT in any way complaining about the state of the City. I would much much MUCH rather see things the way they are today vs. years ago.

/\
That being said, does anyone else get the feeling that the city is becoming just a wee bit too yuppiefied these days LOL?

City of Harrisburg

FOR IMMEDIATE USE

March 4 2005

ELECTRIC TAN DOWNTOWN OPENS AT 608 N. 2nd STREET

Mayor Stephen R. Reed today conducted grand opening services for the newly opened Electric Tan – Downtown at 608 N. 2nd Street next to the FireHouse Restaurant. The new salon offers an array of state-of-the-art tanning beds and personal tanning consulting services and is Harrisburg’s first professional full-service tanning salon.

Reed said the new salon is owned and operated by noted midstate entrepreneurs Don Kalosky and Peggy Klein, who together have more than two decades of experience in the professional tanning industry. Klein and Kalosky also own and operate the original Electric Tan salon located in Lower Paxton Township, as well as the nutrition and personal fitness firm Nutrition Inc. The new salon occupies nearly 1200 sq. ft. of beautifully-restored space that evokes a Caribbean- beach ambience.

The Mayor said Electric Tan Downtown offers the latest in professional tanning technology, including the state-of-the-art UWE S-Class bed, which provides aromatherapy and personal hydration spray mist. Also available are two stand-up Montego Bay units, and ‘tropical beds’. All of the units are controlled by a master computer network that strictly limits the amount of time a person can spend in any unit, thus ensuring individual safety and tanning levels.

Reed said personalized service is a key element of Electric Tan Downtown’s offerings. Each of the firm’s three employees are certified in professional tanning and help to determine the amount of time a person should tan based on their complexion.

“For many citizens, a good tan is an essential element of their physical well- being and appearance, as well as an effective treatment for Seasonal Affective Disorder,” said the Mayor. “Electric Tan Downtown now offers this opportunity right in the heart of downtown, making it easily accessible for tens of thousands of downtown workers.”

Electric Tan Downtown is open Mondays through Thursdays from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Fridays from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. They can be reached at (717) 232.4990, via fax at 232.0833, or visit their website at www.electrictan.com.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2005, 1:20 AM
Me?!?

Alright, I know we have quite a few new forumers from the area around here and we also have those from out of the area lurking, so I figured I would go ahead and post this really cool 3-D map of the City. Those that aren't too familiar with the city can use it to get a better idea about some of the areas in DT we are talking about. Enjoy!!!

http://www.harrisburghello.com/map.asp

Taken from this site (check it out, some useful info there):

http://www.harrisburghello.com/

*This is not the City's official site (it's the DID's) and it is more of an entertainment supplement to it.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2005, 11:53 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Cool map Dave, I just wish they had all the downtown buildings on it - density yeah.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Mar 8, 2005, 4:33 PM

Is this making much news in Hbg?

Harrisburg City Councilman Otto Banks, a previously registered Democrat, today announced he has changed his registration and will seek re-election as a Republican.

"As an African-American, I believe that the Republican Party has something to offer our community," said Banks. "They have made a commitment to fill the racial, economic, and political divide confronting Urban America. Give the Republican Party a chance they will give us a choice. A choice between results and rhetoric, opportunity and dependence, freedom and fear."

http://www.ottobanks.com

Old Posted Mar 8, 2005, 7:41 PM
Me?!?

Thanks Tom!!

edncc1701d, not really. It was a blip in the papers and that was about it. People don't really seem to care about politics around here much anymore. Banks switching parties, Jason Smith switching parties... I think HBG (hell, PA; hell, the nation) is pretty burnt out on the subject. Case in point LOL

Mayor seeks historic re-election

REED'S SEVENTH

Tuesday, March 08, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

The unfinished work keeps pulling him back in.

Harrisburg Mayor Stephen R. Reed said he never had a grand career plan guiding his path when he first took office nearly 24 years ago.

And Reed said he certainly had no idea he'd be running for a seventh consecutive term -- an unprecedented Harrisburg milestone for which he officially announced his candidacy at a ceremony yesterday at City Hall.

"Oh, my God, no," scoffed Reed, 55, as he reflected on his years as mayor in an interview after his campaign announcement.

"When I first ran, I was 31 years old," he said. "I didn't have a long-term, grandiose plan. One term has led to the next just to get things done."

Reed said he invests himself "emotionally, spiritually and physically" in his job.

Long ago, he gave up any notion of political advancement, saying he considers himself more of a public servant than a politician.

"This is not a stepping-stone position," Reed said. "It takes total immersion in the job."

But to remain as mayor, Reed will have to beat fellow Democrats Ernie Napoli and Jason Smith, each of whom would like to wrest away the party nomination in the May 17 primary.

Reed said he's taking the challenges seriously and promised a vigorous campaign that would answer what he called distortions of his record, particularly by Smith, owner of the downtown design and advertising firm Fathom.

"He's a spin master," Reed said of Smith, who is best known for his opposition to the mayor's plans for an Old West museum. "We will make an effort to set the record straight."

Reed even borrowed Smith's campaign theme: "It's time."

"It is time," Reed declared. "It's time to stand up to those who would tear Harrisburg down. It is time to speak out about those who would destroy and reverse this city's progress. It is time to reaffirm that we are an inclusive community."

Most of Reed's speech was devoted to reviewing the highlights of his 23-year record as mayor.

He ticked off a long, detailed list of accomplishments, which boiled down to three main campaign themes:

--Reed said he has expanded the city's economy by spurring investment, business and housing-renewal projects.

--He said he has made Harrisburg safer by strengthening the police and fire departments.

--He said he has improved education by overhauling the public schools, which he has controlled since December 2000.

The mayor said he's running again to continue moving Harrisburg forward on those fronts.

"Our endeavors have been arduous and unrelenting," he said. "We do not settle for average. The status quo is never enough. I ask that we join in a common cause to continue Harrisburg's progress."

Reed was flanked by state Rep. Ron Buxton and U.S. Rep. Tim Holden, both Democrats, along with dozens of movers and shakers from business, politics, churches and community groups.

"I know what Harrisburg was like," Holden said. "And I know what Harrisburg is like right now. It's all because of Harrisburg Mayor Steve Reed. He has the greatest vision I've ever seen in an executive."

Notably absent from Reed's side were incumbent City Council members running for re-election. Of the four whose seats are up, only Otto Banks joined Reed on stage -- and Banks is running as a Republican.

Reed said he plans to endorse a slate of Democratic council candidates but said the announcement would come later.

As many as 20 or more Democrats could enter the race for council.

As for his own future, Reed said he couldn't say how many more terms he hopes to serve as mayor.

He said that will depend on voters.

"A politician should never take the voters for granted," he said.

And while he has all but ruled out a political career beyond being mayor, Reed said there's no plan guiding how long he'll stay in the job.

In the end, he said, it's usually the unfinished business that drives him from one term to the next. Simply put, Reed said, there's still a lot more work to do.

"Today, we continue this mission, this quest, this crusade," he said.

Last edited by EastSideHBG; Mar 8, 2005 at 7:48 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2005, 7:42 PM
Me?!?

2 tenants to leave Harrisburg Mall

Tuesday, March 08, 2005
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

Harrisburg Mall is losing two longtime tenants and gaining a new retailer.

The CVS drugstore in the mall will close by the end of May, when its 20-year lease expires, according to the mall operator.

"They're basically just closing. They just had no interest in renewing," said Scott Jensen, executive vice president of leasing for Feldman Mall Properties Inc.

"It was just a business decision based on the performance of the store," CVS spokesman Mike DeAngelis said yesterday.

No closing date has been announced, he said.

Pharmacy records at the store will be transferred to the CVS drugstore at 3865 Derry St., DeAngelis said.

CVS, with more than 5,000 stores in 36 states, prefers free-standing buildings for its new stores, but has no plans to abandon its existing stores in malls and shopping centers, DeAngelis said.

The M&T Bank branch, which has been in the mall for about 20 years, also will be closing. Its last day of operation will be March 26, bank spokesman Chet Bridger confirmed yesterday.

Three of the branch's seven employees will be transferred to a nearby branch at 2775 Paxton St., where customer accounts from the mall office also will be moved, Bridger said. The other four employees will go to other branches, he said.

Bridger cited the increasing use of ATMs, direct deposit and check cards as a reason for the closing. He said with 35 branches in Dauphin and Cumberland counties, including one within about a half-mile of the mall, the bank no longer thought it necessary to maintain that branch.

Other changes also are on tap at the mall.

A PacSun, or Pacific Sunwear, store that sells casual clothing for teens and young adults will open in the mall on March 25 in what had been part of the Gap store space, Jensen said.

Also, New York & Company and Lane Bryant, two women's clothing stores, have both renewed 10-year leases and decided to renovate, Jensen said.

The opening last year of a Bass Pro Shops and a Boscov's store breathed new life into Harrisburg Mall, which had lost two of its three anchor stores.

The mall underwent a $40 million renovation in anticipation of the Bass Pro Shops opening.

The occupancy rate at the Swatara Twp. mall hovers around 80 percent, Jensen said.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2005, 7:44 PM
Me?!?

VERY interesting news...

Properties to be sold by Vartan operation

Tuesday, March 08, 2005
BY DAVID DeKOK
Of The Patriot-News

In a move considered a bit of housecleaning, the late John Vartan's Vartan Group is selling 11 scattered properties in Harrisburg and its suburbs.

Each property is being sold separately for the Vartan Group by NAI/Commercial Industrial Realty Co. of Wormleysburg. The asking prices add up to $9.8 million.

Robert J. DeSousa, Vartan Group CEO and general counsel, said the properties aren't being sold to settle the estate, but rather to concentrate on the group's core businesses.

"Now is the time," DeSousa said. "The real estate market is doing wonderfully. There are rumors that we're putting everything on the block, but our core business is construction and maintenance of buildings and real estate development. Vartan National Bank is a growth platform."

All of the properties are outside of the core area Vartan Group is interested in developing, namely the Sixth Street and Seventh Street corridors in Harrisburg. The city plans to widen the streets to make them better corridors into and out of Harrisburg. Once that work is completed a few years from now, Second Street is scheduled to become a two-way street.

"John had been purchasing property in and around Harrisburg for the past 25 years," DeSousa said. "These were purchased because he thought they were a particularly good deal when he bought them. He bought them to hold."

John Vartan had "an aversion" to listing properties with real estate agents, DeSousa said, preferring to sell them through his own organization. He said there has been "tremendous interest" in the properties since they were listed with a real estate agent for sale.

"Some people were intimidated by dealing with John," he said. "They were afraid he'd outsmart them."

The late developer was a colorful character who made grandiose promises about buildings he planned to construct. Those he did build included Forum Place in downtown Harrisburg and an office building at Third and Walnut streets. Projects he never built included, most famously, Vartan Village, a planned community in uptown Harrisburg.

Among the properties for sale are a 0.26-acre vacant lot at Front and Verbeke streets. It's one of the last pieces of property left facing the Susquehanna River on the Harrisburg side.**

Justin Shoemaker, who is handling the sales for NAI/CIR, said the Front Street property would be a good site for a residential high-rise building. "You could do upwards of 60 units there," he said.

An 8.21-acre lot at 1001 Elmerton Ave. is between Cameron Street and Crooked Hill Road and is near the regional headquarters of the state Department of Environmental Protection.

Lots at 1301 and 1319 State Street are in a gritty urban area near Harrisburg Cemetery. Properties at 300 Verbeke and 316 Verbeke are vacant lots near the Broad Street Market in Harrisburg's Midtown Market District.

Vartan Group also is selling some of the late developer's "hobby" businesses. It recently agreed to sell 24 acres around Vartan Supply on Linglestown Road for $550,000 an acre. Vartan was a fan of woodworking and operated a mill that created and sold specialty wood products.

Dennis N. Hopkins, vice president of advertising and sales development for Giant Food Stores LLC in Carlisle, said the supermarket chain had looked at the Vartan Supply property but decided to remain at its current site off Linglestown Road less than a mile away.

DeSousa said a lease deal is in the works for the former Parev restaurant at 215 Pine St. in downtown Harrisburg. He said the eatery will have a new name and will be a "first-class restaurant," but he disclosed no other details.

*Funny, I just mentioned this parcel a few weeks ago. Here is my post from then:

*And the only open parcel of land I can think of along Front St. (in city limits) is the small vacant lot near Verbeke St. There is no way you would get a decent sized condo building on that; it's pretty small.

Speaking of, that parcel of land has been open for a long, long time. I remember that lot being vacant when I was a kid. I wonder why, it's a great location.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2005, 9:22 AM
joining the rail club

Quote:
Among the properties for sale are a 0.26-acre vacant lot at Front and Verbeke streets. It's one of the last pieces of property left facing the Susquehanna River on the Harrisburg side.**

Justin Shoemaker, who is handling the sales for NAI/CIR, said the Front Street property would be a good site for a residential high-rise building. "You could do upwards of 60 units there," he said.
i've always thought this location was perfect for a mid/high rise residential building. it dosn't look that large of a parcel, but it's definately possible to build a residential apt building with parking on the lower levels. it's been vacant forever. i'm glad something might actually come of it now.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2005, 12:33 PM

WEest Shore, No big deal !

I lived in Harrisburg for 4 years in the late '80's. I've never seen such snobs as people from the "West Shore". They really believe that the "WS" is this great, fashionable suburb. It's Harrisburg for God's sake, not LA, NY or Miami. Get a grip ! Get a LIFE !!!
Harrisburg is really a hip little city. Mayor Reed is GREAT ! He really should run for Gov. or eventually Pres.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2005, 1:33 PM
joining the rail club

^ lol...where did this guy come from.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2005, 10:06 PM
Me?!?

Hmm, I vaguely remember him, Chris. Welcome back, cnj24!!! As you probably know already, I totally agree with you re: the West Shore.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2005, 11:24 PM
Me?!?

Holy shit!!! I have 27 news on as I browse the forum and they just had a story on about the changes to State St. from the Capitol to the river. I had NO idea about this!!! They are going to make it look like it did in the old days, where you could see the river unobstructed from the Capitol's steps. This means the trees and the concrete islands come out, a grassy knoll is put in its place and parking will only be on one side of the street now?!? Work begins this summer...

Damn. RIP "Fruit Loop", RIP. I really liked those islands and the mature trees on them and I have fond memories of State St. in that area. Damn.

*sigh* Oh well, I have plenty of "before" pics so I will be sure to take pics of the process and then the "after" pics. It will make for a very good thread at least...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2005, 9:07 AM
joining the rail club

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG
Holy shit!!! I have 27 news on as I browse the forum and they just had a story on about the changes to State St. from the Capitol to the river. I had NO idea about this!!! They are going to make it look like it did in the old days, where you could see the river unobstructed from the Capitol's steps. This means the trees and the concrete islands come out, a grassy knoll is put in its place and parking will only be on one side of the street now?!? Work begins this summer...
very cool. i can't wait to see how it turns out. but i wonder where the parking they will be getting rid of, will be replaced. or maybe it won't be. i guess more people will be fighting for a limited amount of spaces near the capitol or parking in garages.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2005, 12:16 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Jeebus, I hope I don't get lost next time I drive around H-burg. All those street changes may mean I end up in a bad hood by accident.

Thanks for the info Dave.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Mar 11, 2005, 12:38 AM
Me?!?

From the sounds of it, Chris, they aren't going to be replacing the parking that will be lost. I would imagine another parking garage is going to be popping up in/near DT soon; one almost has to at this point...

LOL Tom. You know your buddy Dave, I wouldn't let you wind up in a bad 'hood. I will have the red carpet rolled out for you if/when you come back through.

This is pretty interesting (read both articles).

Developer plans to move 3 mansions

Thursday, March 10, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Three threatened North Front Street mansions could be moved.

Mary Knackstedt, owner of the brick-and-stone manors between 2901 and 2917 N. Front St., applied yesterday for a demolition permit from Harrisburg for all three.

The move comes a week after Knackstedt, an interior designer, withdrew plans to build a 32-unit condominium building on the site after city officials said the project would be rejected.

The new plans drew another outcry from neighboring residents and city preservationists, who said Knackstedt's project is a threat to Front Street's historic charm.

Knackstedt said she doesn't want to demolish the buildings, merely move them to clear the way for luxury condos. She said seeking a demolition permit was the only avenue available to obtain approval for moving the mansions.

"The objective is to go forward with the project," said Knackstedt, owner of Mary K Interiors Inc. at 2901 N. Front St.

City spokesman Randy King said yesterday that Mayor Stephen R. Reed remains against removing old mansions from Front Street, fearing it could set a precedent.

But King said the city has "limited legal guidelines" regarding demolition permits for buildings not in an historic zone. Knackstedt's houses, built between 1916 and 1925, lack a historic designation.

"The city strongly opposes this," King said. "We will do whatever we can to prevent this from happening."

Knackstedt said she's already lined up a buyer and new locations for all three mansions. And she said an engineering study has determined that the mansions can be moved intact without damage.

"It's relatively simple," she said, adding the houses would remain in the area, but not necessarily in the city. She said the buyer is local, with other real estate interests.

Preservationists said losing the mansions, either to the wrecking ball or the moving truck, would mar Front Street.

"It would be a shame for the state capital and all the people of Pennsylvania, not just residents of Harrisburg," said Paul Blust, owner of two 19th-century mansions on Front Street.

Historic Harrisburg President Diane McCormick acknowledged an uphill fight in trying to stop Knackstedt.

Without historic designations, it might be relatively easy to obtain a city demolition permit -- a process that doesn't involve public hearings, an oversight board or avenues for appeal, McCormick said.

Her group is exploring all options, including expanding the city's historic district.

Blust said historic districts are merely lines on a map and should have always protected more of Front Street. "All of Front Street is historic," he said, adding it isn't too late to fix the mistake.

McCormick said she can't understand why Knackstedt keeps pressing ahead in the face of so much opposition.

"All I can figure is, she [Knackstedt] thinks 'it's my property, I can do what I want,'" she said.

Knackstedt said she's not deaf to the uproar but that critics miss the big picture. "They haven't seen the drawings. They don't know what the project is about," she said.

"I'm extremely excited because I really feel this is going to be one of the great things to happen to Harrisburg in a long, long time."

Knackstedt's $30 million building would feature 32 units with terraces, balconies and views of the Susquehanna River. Some of the condos could approach 4,000 square feet and sell for $1 million.

"This will raise the level of the whole area," she said.

City of Harrisburg
FOR IMMEDIATE USE
March 8 2005

Statement by Mayor Stephen R. Reed Regarding Demolition Permit Applications Filed to Raze Three North 2nd and Division Streets; Mansions

“The demolition permit applications were not expected, as the developer had withdrawn the project from further consideration by the city Planning Commission. The demolition applications were neither encouraged nor welcomed.

“The city believes two significant problems exist with the project proposal for the site: it violates provisions of the Pennsylvania Municipal Planning Code, which prohibits a large multi-unit residential complex in this category of residential development area; and demolition there creates a precedent that opens the door to others seeking to demolish other Front Street mansions.

“The city’s view has not changed. The project is a splendid proposal but it needs to be located at an alternate site that does not involve these two critical issues.”

Old Posted Mar 11, 2005, 12:40 AM
Me?!?

Middletown rejects plan's zoning change

Developer sought to cut lot size for single-family houses

Thursday, March 10, 2005
BY DIANA STRICKER
For The Patriot-News

After local officials nixed a zoning change that would have allowed single-family houses on smaller lots, a planned development in Middletown's Woodland Hills area may once again include a mix of multifamily and single-family houses.

The Borough Council has rejected a proposal that would have allowed the developers to build about 300 single-family homes on a 167-acre tract north of the turnpike. The area is the last large tract of undeveloped land in the borough.

The developer, H-T Partners LLC of Landisville, initially proposed construction of 212 single-family homes, 78 duplexes and 82 town houses.

But council members voiced opposition to multi-family units. After meeting with borough officials, the developers sought a new zoning designation that would allow single-family homes on smaller lots.

Had the zoning change been approved, H-T Partners would have eliminated town houses and duplexes from the proposed complex. But the council rejected the zoning change on Monday night by a 5-4 vote.

The developers will most likely proceed with the original plans, project engineer Gary Roeder said in a phone interview.

Council members John Patten, Rachelle Reid, Robert Long, Joseph Dailey and David Rhen voted against a motion to advertise the proposed zoning switch.

"Why do we want to compress lots?" Patten asked. "It does not make good sense. It does not make for a better community."

The change would have reduced lot size from 7,500 square feet to 6,000 square feet, and would have reduced the width from 75 feet to 55 feet.

"That makes a very crowded neighborhood," Patten told the council. He added that the developers' original plan "was a reasonable proposal."

Borough Manager Jeffrey Stonehill said the next step would be for the developers to submit subdivision plans to the planning commission and then to the council.

"We're once again back to square one," Stonehill said.

Councilman Michael Culp, who voted in favor of advertising the most recent zoning change, said he believes that single-family homes would have been better for the borough.

"We just wanted to advertise it so the public could comment on it," Culp said.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2005, 12:44 AM
Me?!?

The whole story on the State St. project:

Federal funds to help restore State Street

Thursday, March 10, 2005
BY JAN MURPHY
Of The Patriot-News

About $2.5 million is coming to Dauphin County for four projects, including one that would restore State Street's historic appearance between the Capitol and the Susquehanna River.

The other projects include improving pedestrian safety around Harrisburg's Scott and Rowland schools, sprucing up the Linglestown Square, and providing better pedestrian access near Lower Dauphin Middle School.

Funding comes from federal dollars flowing through Gov. Ed Rendell's $200 million Home Town Streets and Safe Routes to Schools program.

So far, 142 projects totaling $128 million have been funded through the program, which is designed to encourage redevelopment in downtown areas. Nine projects totaling $4.2 million have been in the midstate. Projects require a 20 percent local match.

The program "is really about giving a boost to the core towns of Pennsylvania," said Transportation Secretary Allen Biehler.

Harrisburg is receiving $1 million to remove the concrete median in the center of the two-block stretch of State Street in front of the Capitol and move parking to the side. Sidewalks will be replaced with brick pavers. Tree plantings, street lights, benches and information kiosks will be added.

"You will have a straight view from the Capitol steps right down to the river," said city engineer Joe Link. The improvements would make the street's appearance similar to the way it looked in the early 1900s, he said.

The $74,750 worth of street crossing improvements around Scott and Rowland schools are to include pedestrian signals, flashing school zone signs and cross walks.

Because 2,500 vehicles pass by the schools in a two-hour span in the morning, assistant superintendent Bernie Manning said the improvements will make it easier to get students across the street safely. Some parents have complained that it is unsafe.

"This will eliminate about 50 percent of the parental phone calls that I've been getting dealing with school safety," he said.

Lower Paxton Twp. is receiving $683,445 for the Linglestown Square project. The work includes installing curbing, sidewalks, trees and a roundabout to ease traffic flow around the memorial flag pole in the square.

Hummelstown's share of the federal money totals $776,250. Officials said the money will be used to fill in gaps in the curbs and sidewalks along Walton Avenue and Quarry Road near the middle school. It also will buy signs for school crossings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations