HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 3:45 PM

Hamilton's B-Line LRT construction

Starting a separate thread to organize construction-specific updates about the B-Line LRT to keep the Rapid Transit thread from getting too congested. Doing this partly from my perhaps-overly optimistic hope that the B-Line LRT will become one of only several rapid transit projects in Hamilton in coming years.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 3:53 PM

Good idea, I was actually thinking about this the other day.

Hopefully we can continue the conversation about the demolitions here.

I don't actually think the demolitions of the existing houses at the rail tunnel/bridge at Gage will be all the noticable. If you look at the preliminary civil plans, the road will be quite wide there. I think the more noticable demolitions will be at intersections. Hopefully developers will be interested in buying up the tiny lots at those intersections. Hopefully developments like Gore Park condos will go up at those spots.

Last edited by TheHonestMaple; Sep 23, 2021 at 4:14 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 4:33 PM
It's Hammer Time

Do we know what will start first? Or what is phase 1?

I'm guessing they'll want to start on the bridge over 403 and the tunnel in the east end at the beginning?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 4:39 PM

Sounds like the Request for Qualifications for bidders will go out very soon, this fall. So we should know the timeline for construction then.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post

I'm guessing they'll want to start on the bridge over 403 and the tunnel in the east end at the beginning?
based on other LRT projects in the GTA, the first significant work is usually the maintenance facility.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post

From my understanding there is still negotiating and discussion with the bidders to be done about how to build the system. The two major options I've heard are:

1) Build the entire thing at once, with the most disruption in about 3-3.5 years.

2) Build in phases in about 5 years.

I really hope they go with option 1 because I personally would like to see this done asap. I'd rather not be elderly by the time this is done. Also I don't think there's much to be saved in terms of disruption, sure construction in your area will be quicker, but the it'll sit in a 90% complete state for months or years unusable, and still not allowing as many automobiles, so it'll just be crappy for everyone for years regardless and even longer, except instead of 3 years of construction, you'll have to bear with maybe 8-15 months instead.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 4:49 PM

How long did Ion take?

Also, although slightly biased against the construction of the LRT, this is a good website that shows exactly which buildings will be demolished.

https://kingstreettenantsunited.com/...-virtual-tour/

Last edited by TheHonestMaple; Sep 23, 2021 at 5:26 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 5:30 PM
Ham-burgher

The plan to split the project up into separate bids may make it easier for different parts to be done concurrently. I.e., if one company were to build it, it would have to dedicate relatively more of its resources to the project; with several firms working on it, they may not have to spread themselves as thin on other projects.

I can see Metrolinx issuing separate contracts for the maintenance facility, the guideways, the electrical, the city infrastructure that needs to be moved or replaced, etc.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 5:37 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
How long did Ion take?
Early works began late in 2013, with major construction starting mid-2014. They were testing the system by early 2017, but it didn't open for passengers until June 2019 (delays in getting the rolling stock; it was supposed to be running later in 2017).

A substantial portion of it was built on existing rail corridors though, so the comparison is a bit tricky.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Early works began late in 2013, with major construction starting mid-2014. They were testing the system by early 2017, but it didn't open for passengers until June 2019 (delays in getting the rolling stock; it was supposed to be running later in 2017).

A substantial portion of it was built on existing rail corridors though, so the comparison is a bit tricky.
Hamilton should be able to avoid rolling stock delays, as it seems that they have been mostly ironed out, and the city is going to order them much earlier.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 11:40 PM

Would anyone care to explain what the transit oriented corridor upzoning actually means? Also, I really hope that when Metrolinx sells off these vacant plots of land they put in some sort of stipulation to the sale that says a new development has to be built within, say, 2 years.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Would anyone care to explain what the transit oriented corridor upzoning actually means? Also, I really hope that when Metrolinx sells off these vacant plots of land they put in some sort of stipulation to the sale that says a new development has to be built within, say, 2 years.
https://www.hamilton.ca/city-plannin...-law-no-05-200

I can go into more detail such as the aspects you should pay attention to it you'd like. I've spent an embarrassing amount of time reading through these.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 12:18 AM
It's a nickname from work

Very pleased to see this new thread

I haven't yet wrapped my head around everything (Ritsman enlighten us plz) and the zoning regs describe heights in metres rather than storeys, so broadly speaking the corridor will be zoned for mixed-use developments no shorter than 2.5 storeys (11m) and no taller than about 5 storeys (22m) by default, which is good.

Really that should be the case for every commercial street in the city but hey, it's a start isn't it?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 1:02 AM

I found this presentation from 2016. Little dated now, but I guess it illustrates the idea of the transit zoning with some theoretical renderings.

https://pub-hamilton.escribemeetings...umentId=122590

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 1:31 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Hamilton should be able to avoid rolling stock delays, as it seems that they have been mostly ironed out, and the city is going to order them much earlier.
I'd think it will be part of a larger purchase by Metrolinx anyway. With multiple lines under construction or forthcoming, they can buy in bulk.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 11:34 AM

When can we expect new developments to begin on the demolished plots of land? I would hope that Metrolinx is diligent and starts that process as soon as the buildings are demolished. Demolish them, sell the land with a stipulation that the new residential/commercial development needs to be built by the time the LRT is operational. That should be the goal.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavedParmesanCheese View Post
Very pleased to see this new thread

I haven't yet wrapped my head around everything (Ritsman enlighten us plz) and the zoning regs describe heights in metres rather than storeys, so broadly speaking the corridor will be zoned for mixed-use developments no shorter than 2.5 storeys (11m) and no taller than about 5 storeys (22m) by default, which is good.

Really that should be the case for every commercial street in the city but hey, it's a start isn't it?
I'll go through it and summarize areas.

Agreed that every commercial street should have the TOC zoning. Much of Barton already is and actually centre on Barton is zoned for high density interestingly enough, all the malls are.

The biggest issue with the heights along the LRT corridor is that they all abut 2-3 storey residential for the most part, so it has to step up. What should have been done is anything 150m off the LRT corridor was automatically upzoned to 5 storeys, and the LRT corridor should have been upzoned to 8-10 storeys. There should also be station specific zoning that allows for no parking adjacent to the station with increasing minimums the further from the station along the corridor. This would increase ridership immediately, but Hamilton is not progressive enough to reduce parking minimums to a level that actually pushes people out of their cars, instead arguing "people must need to drive so we have to force parking spots" instead of allowing developers to judge the market. (Remember developers won't build a building in a way that loses them money if they can avoid it, so if a building needs parking to sell units they'll include parking).

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 10:17 PM
Concerned Citizen

Let's hope the LRT here works out a little bit better than in Ottawa.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...=&utm_content=

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 11:30 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Ottawa really made a mess of everything. They did tram grade cars, tried to run them as a metro, and tried to squeeze them on corners that were too tight. And used equipment that couldn’t work in winter… Since Hamilton is getting help from Metrolinx, which will have had experience running LRT already, it hopefully won’t go so badly.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 11:56 PM

Given that the Hamilton LRT will be using the exact same trains and infrastructure as the ION and Eglinton LRTs, I think it should be much smoother than Ottawa's experience.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure