HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 6:51 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I am guessing the Beavers will move, I wouldnt be surprised if Portland gets another minor league team a few years later when things are looking better for the city...
Indeed. I'd hate to see the Beavers leave, but it could be for the best for the city in the long term. Timing is key.

If we're going to have baseball in Portland, we need either MLB or a AAA team in a ballpark that can be upgraded for MLB. I had trouble imagining that Lents could have ever been such a place, which means that would have been a bad move even if it would have kept the Beavers in Portland.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 5:47 PM
A before E

Quote:
Friday, February 12, 2010

Report: Beavers could spend year in Tucson
Portland Business Journal

A Tucson, Ariz., newspaper reported this week that the Portland Beavers are seeking a temporary home there for the 2011 season.

The Beavers could move back to Portland after a year in Tucson or another city.

The Arizona Daily Star reported that the team is researching potential markets if the team decides to move for at least a year. Chris Metz, the Beavers vice president of baseball operations and communications, declined to identify other markets for the Star.

The conversations took place with the Pima County Sports and Tourism Authority.

Beavers owner Merritt Paulson acknowledged he’s been approached by cities outsid eof Portland offering “potential contingency plans.”

“My goal remains to keep the Beavers in Portland or the Portland-area, and in the past year we’ve advanced three good, but unsuccessful, stadium financing plans to do just that,” Paulson said in a statement. “We continue to seek support from area government partners who recognize the economic opportunities and community benefits that an intimate new stadium would provide for Triple-A baseball and beyond.”

Paulson called the overturnes “not our preferred option but one that we have no choice to consider, given the timelines involved.”

The Beavers will be displaced from PGE Park in 2011 once the Portland Timbers begin Major League Soccer play. The baseball team actively sought other Portland-area stadium sites but was unable to reach deals to build a new stadium in Southeast Portland, in the Rose Quarter and in Beaverton.

Drew Mahalic, CEO of the Oregon Sports Authority, said the idea makes sense.

“They know they do need to do research on a temporary solution before we find a permanent solution here,” he said. “It’s pretty understandable they’ll be talking to people in different areas. We’re still operating under the premise that what they’d do would be temporary.”

The preliminary discussions broached the use of either Tucson Electric Park and Hi Corbett Field, both in Tucson, for the Beavers. The Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies currently train at the parks.

Those teams will move to Scottsdale, Ariz., next year.
Well say good bye to the Beavers, I figure they will move to Tucson for a year for their temporary solution, then move to another city that will build them a new ballpark...I highly doubt the Beavers will be moving back. Plus playing a year in Tucson will be enough time away for them to easily look for other places without having to worry about people here getting upset about losing a team because they are calling Tucson "temporary."

So the next move for the city should be looking at trying to find a new minor league team and a site that would be right for a major league ballpark someday and start preparing to attract the MLB eventually.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 12:18 AM
Well designed mixed use

I don't think we should waste our time with minor league. This stadium is great for Portland.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 3:41 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX City-State View Post
I don't think we should waste our time with minor league. This stadium is great for Portland.
Well the chances of Portland getting a MLB team any time soon is probably slim to none, so I dont see there being anything wrong with the city trying to attract a new minor league team of any level to the city and building a stadium for them that could actually be upgraded to major league level when the time comes.

That way it would be something that could be better planned for than the haphazardness that Paulson wanted with a new stadium.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 5:47 PM

What's with the stadium off the I-5 just north of Salem? That can't be easily modified to temporarily support the Beavers???

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 6:11 PM

Quote:
What's with the stadium off the I-5 just north of Salem? That can't be easily modified to temporarily support the Beavers???
That stadium is home to the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes. They are a Single-A Short Season (June - September) affiliate for the San Francisco Giants.

Although, it would be a suitable temporary stadium, the scheduling conflicts during the June - September months would be difficult to overcome. Also, Tucson offers a larger market area for AAA baseball than Salem.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 6:26 PM
shozbot!

^ This stadium has a 5000 plus capacity, including lawn area on the 1st and 3rd base sides (great for the younger ones), but I'm not sure how many come out to Beaver games on a regular basis. You'd think this could be expanded to offer at least 2000 more seats.
Are the Beavers and the Volcanoes in the same league?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCtyRoks View Post
Are the Beavers and the Volcanoes in the same league?
They are not. I would think that the main barrier to sharing the stadium, assuming the teams would otherwise want to, is that there are very few weekday day games in minor league baseball, so having two games in one day would generally be impossible, except mainly on Saturdays.

There are some people on the main Timbers forum who would probably know off the top of their heads whether any minor league baseball teams share a stadium.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 9:03 PM

I follow minor league baseball fairly closely and do not know of any location where two teams share a stadium.

I wish Portland could do what has been done in Cities like Memphis, Salt Lake and Sacramento with their respective AAA ballparks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Au...k_panorama.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sp...unset_view.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raley_Field

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 7:51 PM

I don't know if anybody gets a thrill out of reading these like I do (such a nerd I am) but here is the Staff Report and Recommendation for the conversion...lots of interesting info in there...

http://www.portlandonline.com/bds/in...42259&a=284152

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 12:12 AM

Portland Timbers Stadium Construction Webcam

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 4:47 AM

Sweet.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 3:02 AM

Benjamin Brink/The Oregonian
The new east-side grandstand is taking shape at PGE Park, where the Portland Timbers will play their first home game April 15.

Timbers conversion of PGE Park takes shape
Published: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 12:30 PM
By Geoffrey C. Arnold, The Oregonian

The transformation of PGE Park continues.

The first layer of the artificial turf with field lines, a near-finished grandstand - with canopy - on the east side, restaurant and sports rehabilitation center are very visible indications inside the stadium. Those are the most obvious signs that the renovation of the stadium is progressing toward its debut, the Portland Timbers' MLS home opener April 14.

"For us to see the seats going in and the field lines down...we'll see the scoreboard come in the next few weeks, those are all big milestones for us," said Mike Golub, the Timbers chief operating officer. "I think people are really jazzed about it. The intimacy and proximity to the field really hit people over the head when they see it."

One of the most visible signs of the ongoing changes at the facility is the large black sheet-like layer of rubber covering the much of the surface of the stadium. That layer is the first stage of installing the artificial turf. White lines identifying the midfield line and circle, along with the 18-yard and six-yard boxes, can be seen on the layer. The next step is to install the actual turf, which is expected to begin sometime next week.

"The way the turf system works is you'll have 20-foot rolls of actual polyturf material rolled out side by side. Those seams will be sown together. Once that's completed across the whole field area, (it) will be attached to the perimeter," said Greg Holloran, project manager of Turner Construction, the general contractor of the renovation project. "Then the process of laying the sand and the rubber on the surface to give it a natural feel and cushion will begin."

Another sign of change is seeing how some of the white seats in the new east grandstand are arranged among the green seats to form the large block letters of "P," "T," "N" and "D," which will eventually read P-O-R-T-L-A-N-D across multiple sections. The arrangement of the east grandstand - located adjacent to S.W. 18th Ave. - and the entire stadium is to maximize optimal viewing and sight lines.

"There's not a bad seat in the house, that's the general consensus. Every seat is great," Golub said. "Everybody's definition about what a good seat is is different. In basketball, you get a small amount of 'these are the best seats.' In soccer, some people like being (seated) high, some people like being in the corner and others want to be on the ends. Now we have something for everybody."

The new club level and restaurant are located between the grandstand and street level. At the street level, a few smaller buildings will house concession stands and restrooms. In fact, the renovated stadium will have more restrooms and updated facilities. Another section of seating will be constructed on the south end of the stadium, which will sit in front of a new, large video screen.

"Now that we have seating on all four sides (of the stadium), it feels that much cozier and intimate than it did in the past," Golub said. "It really feels like that was the way it was supposed to be."

Watch for more on the stadium renovation next week.

-- Geoffrey C. Arnold

http://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/in...tml#incart_hbx

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 10:35 AM
A before E

I am liking the renovation, I just wish there would of been the money to continue the roof plane over this new portion and have it match the old roof line, but I am not complaining cause I think the new stadium is going to be great!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 8:32 PM

I agree with you, urbanlife.

Here is a repost of their webcam site:

http://www.portlandmls2011.com/stadium/webcam/

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 8:18 PM
A before E

And the 2011 season has begun...though not that good of a start for the Timbers, but whatever.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 6:20 PM

Jeld-Wen Field captures architectural award
Portland Business Journal by Andy Giegerich , Business Journal staff writer
Date: Thursday, May 3, 2012, 6:33am PDT - Last Modified: Thursday, May 3, 2012, 7:42am PDT

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...&ed=2012-05-03

Quote:
Jeld-Wen Field’s redesign has won kudos from the architecture industry.

The home of the Portland Timbers captured the American Institute of Architects’ San Francisco chapter’s “Merit Award for Excellence in Architecture.” The Timbers announced the award Wednesday afternoon.

The $40 million renovation job is, according to AIA, “an urban-planning success story that balances contemporary architecture with the historic character of the iconic downtown stadium.”

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 2:12 AM
A before E

Portland Timbers (MLS) News

Being 3000 miles away, I don't get to go to games like I use to, but I was so excited this Saturday night staying up late watching the Timbers crush it in Seattle. This has been one of the best transformations I have ever seen a team do and Portland has a team to be feared. I have to say, this new coach has been one of the best moves the team has done so far, plus Ricketts has been a total monster defending the goal. I am so excited for this season and can't wait till Thursday.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 5:58 AM

It's been a great season so far. I can't wait until tomorrow night's game, but even if this next pair doesn't work out for the Timbers I'm still going to be really proud of everything they have achieved.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 7:38 PM
A before E

Just getting to watch them beat Seattle in Seattle and in Portland is a win for the season for me. I have been so happy watching this team take such a 180 in such a short period of time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment