HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
so is this thing a solid go at this point?
It's a "this can't be built without the GPLET" project according to the developer.. But community feedback wasn't convinced of the argument since every developer says the same thing, and those projects still get built even when they don't get it.

The primary concern with the GPLET wasn't about the development itself but on how the "donation" was going to be used (ie who has discretion on how to spend the $5.5M, if it's just whoever's on the city council, how can we ensure it doesn't go to pet projects).

The only "strong" opposition I heard about the development itself was the parking situation -- why does it have so much parking space if one of the features is that it's next to Central Station? And that there's an empty parking garage next door (which the city doesn't know what to do with yet).

Then there's the affordability of the actual units which is still a question mark since those are likely not to be priced until it's close to finishing up. They keep bringing up that X Phoenix starts at $900-ish. But by the time Phase 2 is done, 5 years from now, the co-living situation is probably closer to $1.5k at the rate of inflation right now IMO.

Anyway, they have 3 more meetings coming up:
- June 13 with the City Council
- The Roosevelt Action Association meeting -- they got added on during the meeting after rep from the group expressed concern that all this is happening too fast and their group hadn't seen any of these plans (when they are listed on the city council packet as one of the groups that have been consulted)
- I forgot the other one at the end of the month, also a city meeting iirc

So expect a lot of news about this development this month and we'll probably have a better idea by the end of the month if this is gonna push through or not.

If this gets built, and with all the other developments along 2nd ave, X Phoenix Phase 2, X Roosevelt, and Saiya, that street is going to be an absolute powerhouse with Orpheum Theatre and Roosevelt Row serving as bookends. It's one of the few streets in downtown that has basically an I layout. Serious block party potential there

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 12:15 AM

so definitely not a sure thing - that makes sense. hope it materializes but has to be difficult securing private funding with rates where they are. you hear about lots of hi-rise projects being cancelled in first tier markets due to liquidity drying...but every market is local so hoping this comes through!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 5:36 PM

I'm watching the CoP hearing in the EcoDevo committee this morning.

The Roosevelt Action Association (RAA) spoke in opposition. Their commentary was, frankly, embarrassing. They complained that they were not given enough time in advance to prepare for the meeting and some of their members are out of town on vacation, oh my! The arrogance that they should be consulted on every part of private development is astounding. They're not sure if they like the height or oppose it but they seem to be frustrated the designer didn't allow them to stand over their shoulder.

"We don't know that we're getting enough of these projects... not enough use of grey water... where are the solar panels?"

It was a steady stream of disconnected talking points.

I can't imagine trying to develop city-altering towers requiring hundreds of millions in debt and then being told I need to negotiate with bad faith goofballs.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
I'm watching the CoP hearing in the EcoDevo committee this morning.

The Roosevelt Action Association (RAA) spoke in opposition. Their commentary was, frankly, embarrassing. They complained that they were not given enough time in advance to prepare for the meeting and some of their members are out of town on vacation, oh my! The arrogance that they should be consulted on every part of private development is astounding. They're not sure if they like the height or oppose it but they seem to be frustrated the designer didn't allow them to stand over their shoulder.

"We don't know that we're getting enough of these projects... not enough use of grey water... where are the solar panels?"

It was a steady stream of disconnected talking points.

I can't imagine trying to develop city-altering towers requiring hundreds of millions in debt and then being told I need to negotiate with bad faith goofballs.
I'm watching it too and I laughed at the Prez comments...wow. My favorite one was "this tower will be right on the flight path" sounds like a carryover rebuttal from the proposed Coyotes arena.

Anyways, I'll post screenshots I grabbed from this presentation soon AND the Phoenix CC expansion. Confirmed the tallest tower floor count will be 44.

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Jun 13, 2023 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
I'm watching it too and I laughed at the Prez comments...wow. My favorite one was "this tower will be right on the flight path" sounds like a carryover rebuttal from the proposed Coyotes arena.

Anyways, I'll post screenshots I grabbed from this presentation soon AND the Phoenix CC expansion.

Haha same! It was the same arguments brought up last Saturday.

Other details:
- Tower 1 was mentioned by the city to be 44 stories
- Other additional meetings: DTPHX Inc, ASU, all before general council meeting, I believe dtphx is on Thursday
- June 20th for the RAA -- City mentioned they hopefully have greywater response by then
- Developer willing to include landscape/streetscape agreements (because d'oh, they're building a 4-star hotel and they want its front door to be nice so they don't have a problem adding it)
- 30 month construction timeline

Capital Markets liquidity tied up for the last 5 years and patience is running out was brought up again.

And no nays!! Approved by subcommittee but council meeting on June 28th for final vote.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 6:01 PM
Skyriser

If this were a zoning case, the RAA is the designated neighborhood association for the area, and it's absolutely normal for a developer proposing any project, let alone as something as big as Astra, to consult with the neighborhood associations as part of the development process.

That being said, that ship sailed away going on 20 years now. This has never been a zoning issue, and isn't at all out of scope with what's been proposed before so I'm wondering where RAA was this whole time if they're having an issue now. In any event, complaining about projects that already have entitlements is a good sign they'll never be satisfied, and the developer has no obligation to follow them.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 6:21 PM

The convention center concepts and ideas from this meeting look great too.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
...This has never been a zoning issue, and isn't at all out of scope with what's been proposed before so I'm wondering where RAA was this whole time if they're having an issue now. In any event, complaining about projects that already have entitlements is a good sign they'll never be satisfied, and the developer has no obligation to follow them.
The developer representative (I'm sorry, I'm so bad at remembering names lol) hinted that previous RAA leadership was good with the plan and insinuated that this is an issue with current RAA leadership.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 11:33 PM
Modulator

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the development being South of Fillmore a little out of the RAA's reach? There are no single-family homes within nearly 3 blocks from the proposed Astra site and even some of the Roosevelt area multi-family sites are close to 2 blocks away.

So why would they have any say on this proposal? Is this just a formality to play nice with the area and if so, how much influence does the RAA really have on changing anything to the Astra proposal?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2023, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the development being South of Fillmore a little out of the RAA's reach? There are no single-family homes within nearly 3 blocks from the proposed Astra site and even some of the Roosevelt area multi-family sites are close to 2 blocks away.

So why would they have any say on this proposal? Is this just a formality to play nice with the area and if so, how much influence does the RAA really have on changing anything to the Astra proposal?
They proudly announced their group goes south to Van Buren so this is "well within our neighborhood". Methinks they doth protest too much. This is just a group trying to flex on a project. They could barely articulate their opposition, other than irritation that they weren't consulted.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 1:45 AM

Anyone know who spoke for RAA? The current president is actually an Architect at LJC who is involved in a couple of high-rise tower projects downtown.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 2:43 AM

Beastly pair of towers they will totally dominate the skyline

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 2:58 AM

I am a member of the RAA and I am afraid of progress. I said no to these towers because it might encourage some young kids to play on my lawn. Nimbys rule!!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 4:20 AM

The RAA is looking for power and influence. All they can do here is just complain...ignore their arrogance and get some height DOWNTOWN where it belongs. Hope to see those towers going up really soon!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 4:29 AM
Skyriser

Their official boundaries are Central Ave and McDowell to 7th Ave and Van Buren.

https://nsdonline.phoenix.gov/Neighb...s/Details/2617

Around condomania when projects like Copper Point and the Jet were proposed, some in the RAA were thinking all the high-rise development south of Fillmore was out of scope for them, and they didn't want to be overwhelmed by people who weren't single-family homeowners. When I lived in an apartment and later my own condo even north of Fillmore they weren't so excited about including us in their newsletter, etc.

Now that it seems the development is real, they're prolly just flexing because they can. I'm sure the average age has gone nowhere but up in the 15 years I've known of them and they've found more time and things to complain about.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 2:25 PM

Aren't the Astra developers the same ones that developed The Stewart?

Wasn't that one of the most contentious developments ever for the Roosevelt community when they tore down part of the old Circles/old Studebaker dealership?

Maybe some in the RAA are still just butt hurt about that and are grudging.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Aren't the Astra developers the same ones that developed The Stewart?

Wasn't that one of the most contentious developments ever for the Roosevelt community when they tore down part of the old Circles/old Studebaker dealership?

Maybe some in the RAA are still just butt hurt about that and are grudging.
Good point.

The woman that spoke on their behalf did generically refer to past projects, and “not getting enough out of them” from their perspective. Which was quite the slip of the tongue, like she was telling on herself. I didn’t catch her name.

Last edited by MiEncanto; Jun 14, 2023 at 5:09 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAZ View Post
Anyone know who spoke for RAA? The current president is actually an Architect at LJC who is involved in a couple of high-rise tower projects downtown.
It was Joan Kelchner.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
It was Joan Kelchner.
Thanks, she is the VP. Ryan is the President so I would have been shocked if he was in opposition since he is actively working on other high rises in the area.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2023, 4:39 PM

Couple of questions/comments.

How many stories is the former Chase Tower?

Does the 44 stories of the tallest tower include those pointing things on top?

I find it odd that the image showing both towers has the shorter one faded out when it will be the first of them to be built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest