HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 8:22 PM
the first stamp is free

Earl's was seriously kicking the tires last year. That's about all I can confirm. The new space would suit their needs as it relates to what they wanted to do at the their current spot. Main floor, second floor (mezzanine) and huge roof top patio.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 1:19 AM

Any more news on who was rewarded the steel construction work or any of the other trades? Millwork, etc?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
They're still in the current space at Main and York. However, they own all the property along Main St. from York to St. Mary. It's a wasteland right now and the City can't really do anything. Earl's proposed to put up another building at the north end, IIRC it was 2 storey's, then demolish the existing and turn it into parking. Which doesn't meet the Cities zoning bylaws or something.

So now we're in a cycle of who blinks first. Earl's or the City. Earl's selling the land and going elsewhere frees everything up. Like I said though, why would they do that?
They had actually proposed to keep the existing building, not demolish it.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Spitballing it its true. They obviously wanted to rebuild, so they have some issues with the current restaurant in some way. They aren't in the business of property development. They could see more value in selling the current property and leasing in a new marquee building. From my understanding their Main st location used to be the best performer in the country but it's now average.
It was never the best but it was always top 5 – that was before the eastern & US expansion though. If you take out GTA and USA, it's likely still top 7-8 in Western Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
It was a single storey, they argued it was close in height to two stories. Regardless the city requires 3 stories and also had an issue with the parking arrangement, wanting it behind the building or in a parkade. It was rejected and Earls said they had no plans to revise their proposal. This was in 2015.(For the record Gerbasi and Orlikow voted against, Jeff Browaty and Brian Mayes voted for)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
They had actually proposed to keep the existing building, not demolish it.
No they were going to tear it down when the new one was built. That was actually the biggest issue the city had with it – they wanted to move the parking lost from the new building to the corner of York & Main, and put an entrance right at the corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Earl's was seriously kicking the tires last year. That's about all I can confirm. The new space would suit their needs as it relates to what they wanted to do at the their current spot. Main floor, second floor (mezzanine) and huge roof top patio.
It was actually Artis who went to Earls first to try and court them, knowing they were in a weird limbo. I know Earls was skeptical at first because it is a smaller space than they're currently in. Don't know how things have progressed over the last 2-3 months.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
No they were going to tear it down when the new one was built. That was actually the biggest issue the city had with it – they wanted to move the parking lost from the new building to the corner of York & Main, and put an entrance right at the corner.
They were not going to tear down the building, which anyone can read about on the public record. The biggest issue that the City had with the proposal was that it was 21 feet tall and not 35, which was the requirement.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 3:42 AM

That was the main reason given because it was an easy one to pick – Earls was hoping to recoup the parking or sell the old building once moved.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 11:18 AM
Back from the dead

I still can't see them moving unless they get something in the Forks. I can't see the business case for moving to Wpg. Square or near it.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 2:22 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I still can't see them moving unless they get something in the Forks. I can't see the business case for moving to Wpg. Square or near it.
I may be out to lunch but I don't see The Forks as being that big of a deal to Earls, I think what they'd lose by being next to The Forks they'd gain many times over by suddenly being a great pre/post-Jets place.

If they lose anything from moving I'd think it'd be the Wawanesa/Broadway lunch and post-work crowd (which they'll in turn get from P&M instead).

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 2:37 PM

It's only 2 blocks down the street from their current location. Not that far.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
I may be out to lunch but I don't see The Forks as being that big of a deal to Earls, I think what they'd lose by being next to The Forks they'd gain many times over by suddenly being a great pre/post-Jets place.

If they lose anything from moving I'd think it'd be the Wawanesa/Broadway lunch and post-work crowd (which they'll in turn get from P&M instead).
Being connected via the skywalks would be a big piece. Leave your coat in the car or office for lunch/dinner. Not to mention your car being snow/ice free underground is pretty nice after a meal in the middle of winter.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 9:14 PM

So what's the scoop? Any work happening?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
They got rid of most of the sandbags on the roof this past week...

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
They didn't have much competition in the 90s... there weren't many of those types of casual dining restaurants downtown in those days. Contrast with today, when the SHED is chock full of them.
Well they had Grapes across the street and Mondetta World Cafe at the Forks. I worked at Grapes, I think right after Earls opened and in the interview the manager was quite vocally annoyed at Earls. But it was, to a degree, friendly competition as we'd do "team builders" by walking over to Earls before (or during) out shift for a round of shooters.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 7:49 PM

Quote:
We are working 6 days a week now, shafts/stairwells are moving again. Should be seeing a lot of changes over the next few weeks

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 8:26 PM
Ignore these four words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackLane View Post
We are working 6 days a week now, shafts/stairwells are moving again. Should be seeing a lot of changes over the next few weeks
Thanks BackLane. Welcome to the forum. There will be expectations now that we have someone who works on site.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 9:08 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoceKtPH...en-by=dave_101
David Lipnowski (@dave_101) on Instagram: “#Winnipeg under construction”

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 9:37 PM
BANNED

Thanks Backlane. I get excited about erecting shafts...

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 2:57 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Thanks Backlane. I get excited about erecting shafts...
Massive ones too. The best kind!

Welcome to the forum, BackLane!!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 3:49 AM
keep the good times going

Excited for the updates, welcome to the forum BackLane!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 1:31 PM
What could go wrong?

Obviously very slow to get a floor or two up. Lots of complicated things to take care of working above an active shopping mall. I think we have to remind ourselves that we could be watching them working in a massive hole for a year instead.

It will be nice to finally see the tower shape when it is officially on floor 2 or 3.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan