HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 2:57 PM

How does Calgary stack up to other North American cities?

With all the discussion about Vancouver, Seattle and Portland in the Calgary construction thread lately, I figured it's time to start a new thread so as not to bog down the construction discussion.

So, how does Calgary stack up against other cities on the continent? I think costal and big lake cities have an advantage over us with setting, but what about places like Minneapolis, Houston or Denver?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 2:59 PM
HVAC guru

I thought this wasn't allowed... and you know what it's going to turn into.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 3:01 PM
Derp

If you're talking about sprawl, then you're well on your way to Houston/Minneapolis-St. Paul. Denver I could understand based solely on location.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 3:10 PM

Not sprawl, just how well the city is built up, how nice the buildings are, what kind of atmosphere the city gives off. What are we doing compared to how other cities do them, what works and what doesn't.

And if people use constructive crticizm and don't get stupid, this thread will be fine.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 3:23 PM
Kevin Folds Five

^ How about posting it in a non-albertan thread to get the input of people that actually live outside of the province?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 3:34 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
And if people use constructive crticizm and don't get stupid, this thread will be fine

Well before this bad boy turns into another NHL type thread I'll say that my favorite city of the 1 million population variety is Milwaukee Wisconsin. It's the people, the music, the mixture of 18th & 19th century architecture with modern, the cleanliness & the beer.

It's not possible to really compare that city to Calgary. Milwaukee downtown is undergoing a bit of a renaissance, and has more to work with in terms of the old restorable buildings, the canals and pedestrian walkways. Calgary, is put simply, too new for that kind of turnaround. Milwaukee has a giant elevated freeway that lands right downtown and kind-of splits the city in two... that is a drawback but the city is using the area under the freeway as a vehicle and pedestrian corridor... but it feels contrived. Although Calgary is split by the rail line on the southside it's not as noticeable a barrier.

I dunno. Calgary is decent... Other cities are decent... what else do you want to know ?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 3:37 PM

I was thing this would be a discussion for Calgary forumers to see what works in other cities, and whether it would work here, and vice versa.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 3:51 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
I was thing this would be a discussion for Calgary forumers
Well maybe you should have kept this buried in the Calgary Const. forum then

Quote:
...to see what works in other cities, and whether it would work here, and vice versa.
"what" works ? What is "it" ? Ask more specific questions & you will get more difinitive responses.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post
If you're talking about sprawl, then you're well on your way to Houston/Minneapolis-St. Paul. Denver I could understand based solely on location.
Correction, well on our way to Houston/Minneapolis-St. Paul/Edmonton, and any other NA city that isn't on a coast.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 4:23 PM

I think Calgary's strong point in comparison to most other North American cities is its downtown core. We have a very strong downtown for our size. In terms of all the statistics, our downtown stacks up well against a good number of North American urban areas that are several times our size. However, I would like to see downtown evolve into something more ecclectic. Better quality open spaces, more colour and light (LED's on buildings are a good start, but we have a ways to go), more creative architecture, better massing, and more of a mix of uses (more blending between the office core and residential, for example).

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Well maybe you should have kept this buried in the Calgary Const. forum then

"what" works ? What is "it" ? Ask more specific questions & you will get more difinitive responses.
just stick to the Edmonton thread. It's pretty obvious what kind of discussion I'm trying to start.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 5:06 PM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
Calgary is a great Calgary.

As for comparing it to other cities, it is an extremely livable city as long as you have a car. There is a lot to do - but these activities are not much different than you will find in Minneapolis, Houston, or Denver. All have "proud sports histories". All brag about some level of agrarian roots. All have big fairs to be proud of. All have traffic issues. All have economic opportunities for their citizens. All are growing and thriving cities. All have....well, you name it.

I do think that Calgary historically has relied too much on mountain and cowboy tourism. While the Rockies are a slight differentiator, they are not the end all, be all of what could be Calgary's identity. Minneapolis has a lot of outdoor activities that one can do, and a lot are around water activities. Now, before we get to the winter aspect, shinny is still shinny in MSP, and winter in the Rockies is still damn cold.

If you move to Calgary, you won't be spiteful or regretful. It is a good mid sized North American city with a history of a can-do attitude. It "compares" well at the macro level with many of the midwestern and central cities mentioned here. To go deeper is splitting hairs - and that is why these vs threads are usually banned.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 5:12 PM

/\good assessment

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonchuck View Post
Calgary is a great Calgary.

As for comparing it to other cities, it is an extremely livable city as long as you have a car. There is a lot to do - but these activities are not much different than you will find in Minneapolis, Houston, or Denver. All have "proud sports histories". All brag about some level of agrarian roots. All have big fairs to be proud of. All have traffic issues. All have economic opportunities for their citizens. All are growing and thriving cities. All have....well, you name it.

I do think that Calgary historically has relied too much on mountain and cowboy tourism. While the Rockies are a slight differentiator, they are not the end all, be all of what could be Calgary's identity. Minneapolis has a lot of outdoor activities that one can do, and a lot are around water activities. Now, before we get to the winter aspect, shinny is still shinny in MSP, and winter in the Rockies is still damn cold.

If you move to Calgary, you won't be spiteful or regretful. It is a good mid sized North American city with a history of a can-do attitude. It "compares" well at the macro level with many of the midwestern and central cities mentioned here. To go deeper is splitting hairs - and that is why these vs threads are usually banned.
I'm not trying to make a vs thread, if you go and look at the last few pages of the Calgary construction thread, you will see a lot of discussion about Byward market in Ottawa, you will see discussion about Vancouver, Seattle and Portland and what is good and bad about each city. That's what I started this thread for, so we don't bog down the Calgary thread with discussion about other cities and why aspects of them are better/worse than aspects of Calgary.

What do other cities have in terms of public spaces, parks/gardens, libraries, museums, retail and pedestrian streets, and how do they comparer to what Calgary has? what can we learn from mistakes from both our planners and those in other cities? What is something another city has that you would love to see in Calgary?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 5:27 PM
of Canada

Calgary is a great place to live.

I'm not sure its the best place to visit though. When I think of good places to visit (in Canada anyway) I think of Vancouver, Toronto, Victoria, Ottawa. So its not a funtion of size (size doesn't matter).

It think some of the things that make a city great are those that attract people to come and visit as well as those things that make people come to settle.

For me at least, Calgary has everything it needs to make for a great place to live - not that we can't make that better too.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 5:52 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
just stick to the Edmonton thread.
Hey, knock knock

Quote:
It's pretty obvious what kind of discussion I'm trying to start

Yup, it sure is

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 5:59 PM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
What do other cities have in terms of public spaces, parks/gardens, libraries, museums, retail and pedestrian streets, and how do they comparer to what Calgary has? what can we learn from mistakes from both our planners and those in other cities? What is something another city has that you would love to see in Calgary?
But that is my point...in "comparison" to many of the cities you listed, Calgary has done a really good job and "stacks up" admirably. All listed have their issues, all listed have good amounts of park space, and all listed have good libraries, museums, etc. Retail is a function of the demand of the market, you can't force that, but all cities mentioned have malls and power centers.

Houston has a space history, so you will expect to see more of that there. Denver has a rodeo history, and the Hall of Fame is just south. Calgary can't force a "museum of natural history" or the like, those usually arrive at major ports or capitals.

Calgary, like the others mentioned, is starting to remember street orientation. Houston has a dearth of this, just like Alberta in the 80's when many of the buildings you see were built or conceived. So, like all cities, they are learning from the "mistakes" of the previous generations, and also smattering it with "what was old is new again" - aka streetfront vs insular mall.

So, given it's geographic place and relative stature in the North American marketplace, I think Calgary has a great mix of what you suggest. As it grows, it will naturally get more.

Love to see in Calgary, that is something that should be organic within the city itself. Copying another is just lame. The best things are spawned by a local reference or reverence that just "takes off".

Maybe a park with a "Chinook" theme - sweeping architacture/sculpture that reminds one of a fast wind blowing through the prairie?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 6:09 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Hey, knock knock

Yup, it sure is
Yes, it is obvious. Its a discussion. Are you trying to start something else?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 6:17 PM
HVAC guru

^The question was "how does Calgary stack up" Now if you all are just going to stand around & measure each others wieners then this thread is pretty pointless.

I gave my 2 cents, JohnnyC didn't like it, fine. Calgary is great. happy ?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 6:32 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Now if you all are just going to stand around & measure each others wieners then this thread is pretty pointless.
I think that was done at the last get together. We're over it. This is just a discussion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy