HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 1, 2012, 12:40 AM

Someone in the media needs to ask Ken Lewenza how he plans to keep the plant's compensation competitive in the global economy.

The CAW is acting like it doesn't even want to compete. They think that companies should extend the contract out of the goodness of their hearts. Well, guess what, Caterpillar is a for-profit company. The shareholders, rightly or wrongly, expect a certain return on their investments.

The problem is, the company is stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they don't do something about the costly London plant, shareholders are going to pounce. That could include wiping out the current management at the next annual meeting.

I don't agree with how Caterpillar is handling this, but Ken Lewenza has done the workers no favours with his no-negotiation attitude. I don't think he truly cares about the workers. If he did, he would be doing everything possible to ensure these people will still be employed. At the end of the day, if this plant closes and these 700 people are out of work, nobody at the CAW loses their job or gets their salaries cut.

Everyone here can probably tell that I am not a pro-union person. I have never been part of a union, although I have worked in a unionized environment once, in support staff at Western. Some of the UWO Staff Association members there had nothing but contempt for the non-unionized student part-time employees. We were blamed for anything that went wrong by the full-time employees, although our bosses fortunately didn't take their accusations at face value. After I left, the UWOSA even demanded a reduction in work studies and student employment throughout the university as part of their new CBA. They won, and a sizable number of students lost their campus jobs mid-year or had their hours cut back by 75%. In one case I was aware of, a student didn't have the funds to pay all of the rest of her tuition because she didn't qualify for OSAP and was depending on student employment to help pay for tuition, and her parents couldn't help her very much. Also, because the CBA for support staff has a maximum number of hours per week and the number of student employees is severely capped, some Western residences no longer were staffed at night. I don't know if that is still the case now.

My grandfather, who was a business manager in his heyday and was widely considered to be very just and fair, was physically assaulted by a union organizer.

These have been my experiences with unions. I sure hope it's not like this in the rest of the unionized world.

Last edited by manny_santos; Jan 1, 2012 at 1:06 AM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 10:52 AM

They're now in a lockout.

Yesterday I talked with an employee I know at the plant. He said that Caterpillar's offer was "not bad", but that it was still a drastic change. He went on to say that most employees under the new offer would be making about $18/hour, and that the $16 reported in the media was the "minimum" wage.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 4:44 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Manny, you should know that Unions will always pursue their own self-interests, whether the effects are detrimental to others or not. Sometimes they even end up hurting their own members through political showmanship.

I've heard many colourful UWOSA stories myself, but mostly from the profs. There are some people who are content with their poor performance and lack of promotion, so long as they receive a salary of some kind. One tale was about a secretary who would consistently screw up all but the simplest of tasks, either because she was incompetent or simply didn't care, and would ignore requests on purpose because it "interfered" with her day. Apparently she has been acting this way for the past two decades, and the administration has no way of terminating her. As far as I know she's still around. It really sucks for the students who were actually trying to be productive and get some work experience.

My personal experience with Unions always involve me being on the receiving end of their actions. Piles of trash during the 2009 Toronto Garbage Strike, being stranded during the London Transit Strike (which convinced me automobiles were superior and lead me to acquire one), and the recent Canada Post Strike (which lead to a lost eBay shipment). Thankfully I haven't yet been caught up in their internal politics.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 5:02 PM
User Registered

Do you know if the wage cut is immediate, or gradual? I would assume the latter.

Even though this news is pretty terrible for the employees there, what would you do? Keep your job at a ~50% pay cut or attempt a strike, risking your job?
-In a tough economy like this it might be best to pursue a stable job, even with these cuts.

My uncle worked for Electro-Motive for his entire career as an engineer. He was let go nearly 2 years ago with a full severance pay for 2 years. In that time he still hasn't found another job, and his income is about to run out.

So even with a generous severance things can still look grim. Perhaps Electro-Motive will offer some severance or retirement packages as part of their restructuring.

Either way the news is a mixed bag. I wish the striking employees the best, and hope that their Union can successfully negotiate a decent compromise without risking comprising their jobs.

I don't want this to be another Sterling.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 5:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
Manny, you should know that Unions will always pursue their own self-interests, whether the effects are detrimental to others or not. Sometimes they even end up hurting their own members through political showmanship.

I've heard many colourful UWOSA stories myself, but mostly from the profs. There are some people who are content with their poor performance and lack of promotion, so long as they receive a salary of some kind. One tale was about a secretary who would consistently screw up all but the simplest of tasks, either because she was incompetent or simply didn't care, and would ignore requests on purpose because it "interfered" with her day. Apparently she has been acting this way for the past two decades, and the administration has no way of terminating her. As far as I know she's still around. It really sucks for the students who were actually trying to be productive and get some work experience.

My personal experience with Unions always involve me being on the receiving end of their actions. Piles of trash during the 2009 Toronto Garbage Strike, being stranded during the London Transit Strike (which convinced me automobiles were superior and lead me to acquire one), and the recent Canada Post Strike (which lead to a lost eBay shipment). Thankfully I haven't yet been caught up in their internal politics.
UWOSA is the staff union.

UWOFA is the faculty union.

both have their share of underperforming/overpaid dead weight.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 6:31 PM

I have a big problem with Caterpillar wanting EMD staff to accept wage cuts of 50% when profits have shot up by 44% over the last year. If EMD can generate profits like that in spite of the fact that they're effectively paying close to $50 an hour if benefit costs are factored in, then they can afford to keep the plant open. Who's greedy now? EMD management? Or the unionized workers in the EMD plant?

As far as I'm concerned, Caterpillar are simply using this as an excuse to close the plant and move it south. Not that they aren't going to anyway, regardless of the outcome of the lockout. This is one reason why I think any government incentives should come as loans, or with a clause stating that if the plant closes up and goes elsewhere, the incentive monies have to be paid back.

Living costs are lower in many parts of the US, so workers there can probably get by on $16 - 18 per hour. In Canada, life isn't quite so cheap, and most workers find that $20-25 per hour is the minimum they need to have adequate housing, food, and a reasonable standard of living overall.

If companies like Caterpillar, Sterling, et al. keep closing Canadian plants in the name of 'competitiveness', they're going to find two things are going to happen. First, quality of production will drop. It's the same old story - pay peanuts, get peanuts back. Second, Canadians will no longer be able to buy US-made goods and services because they'll all be out of work. So they'll lose in sales what they hope to gain in increased profits.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 7:18 PM
User Registered

This is now the top story on Reddit Canada. Seems like people have a lot to say on this issue: http://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comme...0_workers_who/

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
As far as I'm concerned, $30/hour is way too much.
Clearly, most folks working there are skilled tradespersons even if not formal post-secondary grads. Many will have years of experience as well that is far more valuable than education. They build large, complex, sophisticated machines of very high value. This is not some factory making light bulbs. So what should a skilled worker earn? What do you think electricians, gasfitters, and plumbers earn?

Quote:
The CAW has to realize the economic reality of the world today.
Agreed! They should just accept that the middle class should be reduced by 80% in this country in order to be "competitive". We should let the nation's wealth to return to its rightful place: that 5% that is the traditional ruling class or better yet completely out of the country. And with time, with a remaining rump middle class no longer able to drive the economy we can no longer afford things like a healthcare system or law enforcement, but we will be competitive and draw major employers just like say.... Juárez. You know, the city in Mexico that has 300 assembly plants and and 3,000 murders a year.

Quote:
I have university and I've never made more than $12/hour doing anything.
1) Why do you think that is?
2) Get used to it if the "economic competitiveness" that you defend does end up becoming entrenched as the new norm in society here. You won't be able to afford to send your kids to university. For that matter you will never own a home. You will die poor.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
Clearly, most folks working there are skilled tradespersons even if not formal post-secondary grads. Many will have years of experience as well that is far more valuable than education. They build large, complex, sophisticated machines of very high value. This is not some factory making light bulbs. So what should a skilled worker earn? What do you think electricians, gasfitters, and plumbers earn?

Agreed! They should just accept that the middle class should be reduced by 80% in this country in order to be "competitive". We should let the nation's wealth to return to its rightful place: that 5% that is the traditional ruling class or better yet completely out of the country. And with time, with a remaining rump middle class no longer able to drive the economy we can no longer afford things like a healthcare system or law enforcement, but we will be competitive and draw major employers just like say.... Juárez. You know, the city in Mexico that has 300 assembly plants and and 3,000 murders a year.

1) Why do you think that is?
2) Get used to it if the "economic competitiveness" that you defend does end up becoming entrenched as the new norm in society here. You won't be able to afford to send your kids to university. For that matter you will never own a home. You will die poor.
I'm with you, Snark. What many do not seem to realize is that if the 1%, or the 5% you talk about, or whoever they are, manage to snag all the wealth in the world, they'll have a lot of money they can't spend or use, thus making their attempt to impoverish the 99% an ultimately non-sustainable exercise. I mean, if their goal is to impoverish everyone else and keep all the marbles, so to speak, all to themselves, then they're not going to be spending that wealth on things that generate wide-scale economic activity, lest they give up some of their wealth, are they?

I get really tired of people who continually decry "lazy, overpaid, unionized workers". They add nothing useful to the discussion, and their words really reflect nothing more than naked jealousy. To them I say, 'What would you really rather have? Good wages that afford a decent standard of living and fair, humane working conditions, or would you really rather live on your knees in poverty, because that somehow makes you better, more noble than those 'lazy unionized workers' you envy so much?"

Like him or not, Lewenza of the CAW is justified in trying to prevent this absolutely odious 'deal' from being foisted on the EMD workers, because he quite correctly sees that if it goes through, it will set a precedent that other employers will try to replicate. And that will only serve to weaken the union movement over the long haul, not strengthen it.

Right now, the people who are the 99% are being pitted against one another in a zero-sum situation where people are incited to try and take crumbs from their neighbours' mouths in the name of righting phantom wrongs. In other words, "My neighbour has more than I do, so I will steal from him to make things more 'equal' somehow." The problem with that logic is that one minus one equals zero, meaning that both parties lose - one has a little more, but not enough, and the other has lost some of what he had.

And you know what? When that happens, the 1% laugh at the 99%. All the way to the bank. Ever heard of the ancient Roman tactic of 'divide et impera' ('divide and conquer')?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 5:35 AM
Torontonian Refugee

I'm so sick and tired of this whole "99%" twaddle. Stevo, we're hardly "jealous" of private sector unions. Frankly, so long as they don't start manipulating the political system to achieve some sort of special interest set, I don't really give a damn what they do. I'm certainly not supportive of them, but on the other hand, I'm not combative either. My problem is with unions in the public sector, because with a co-operative government they have the ability to essentially put a gun to my head and demand higher wages, whether I agree to it or not. If they have unrealistic demands they are not made to suffer the consequences, because they have an almost limitless coffer at their disposal.

By the way, last I checked, the poor, deprived, non-unionized workers at Honda weren't starving in the streets of Alliston. And ditto for the equally impovrished Toyota workers in Woodstock and the Dark Land of Cambridge. In fact, I'm pretty sure the other 68% of Canadian workers who aren't unionized are also somehow avoiding inhumane working conditions and run-down tenements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
UWOSA is the staff union.

UWOFA is the faculty union.

both have their share of underperforming/overpaid dead weight.
I thought the secretaries and administrators were under the staff union?

And yes, I realize UWOFA has some very serious deadwood problems as well. Luckily the worst prof I've ever had was a monotone woman teaching compsci, but some of my friends have had downright nasty tenured profs that you just can't get rid of.

Last edited by Wharn; Jan 4, 2012 at 5:53 AM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 8:31 PM

I'm seeing alot of articles in the Windsor paper lately about the plant lock out in London at Electromotive. I wish the workers there my best.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 1:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

New unemployment numbers coming out momentarily. Some analysts predict double-digits for the forest city.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
New unemployment numbers coming out momentarily. Some analysts predict double-digits for the forest city.
You're a day early

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 4:31 PM

I'm hoping for a decrease in the Windsor numbers this time, we've been heading too far back up, so hopefully we can get the numbers to come back down again. We need some good news for a change in Southern Ontario.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 9:57 PM

Just what London needs - 44 jobs being cut at TD's local offices, representing over 1% of their London workforce.

At the rate London is going, I predict London is going to be above 10.5% unemployment at some point this year, especially if Electro-Motive closes.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 10:07 PM

Good god, there's been so much bad economic news coming out of London lately. For some reason I always thought London was somewhat more stable than Windsor when it came to factory closings and high unemployment. I guess we're more similar than we thought we were. I also didn't realize that London had so many factories, I always thought you had more white collar jobs which helped in times like this. Lets hope 2012 ends better than it started for everyone.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Good god, there's been so much bad economic news coming out of London lately. For some reason I always thought London was somewhat more stable than Windsor when it came to factory closings and high unemployment. I guess we're more similar than we thought we were. I also didn't realize that London had so many factories, I always thought you had more white collar jobs which helped in times like this. Lets hope 2012 ends better than it started for everyone.
It is a popular misconception that London is a white collar town, mainly because of what London was in the past. Similarly Hamilton is incorrectly considered an industrial town by some.

I'm not sure when manufacturing grew in London, but up until the 1980s London was home to a number of corporate head offices. Canada Trust moved to Toronto, while others have moved to other provinces. We still have 3M, but it's one of very few left.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 12:27 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
I'm not sure when manufacturing grew in London, but up until the 1980s London was home to a number of corporate head offices. Canada Trust moved to Toronto, while others have moved to other provinces. We still have 3M, but it's one of very few left.
London Life is still here. Even though they're a branch of Great-West Life, it still counts, right? To be honest, the drive to move to Toronto has always perplexed me, because it is a very high-cost environment. Taxes are high, salaries are high (to make up for a high cost of living), and office space is expensive. You would think medium-to-large corporations would prefer to situate themselves in smaller centres (eg London, Madison, Saskatoon) to save on overhead.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 1:57 AM
User Registered

London's job sectors are much more diversified so the city can shake things off if one sector takes a hit.

However, several sectors are now getting hit, and badly. The city's economy is wounded without a doubt, but I don't think this is a mortal wound yet.

While the unemployment numbers can be an indication of economic health, I'm waiting for the 2011 census to come out. The London region (metro) has been hurt much worse than the city itself (St. Thomas for example) and that makes us look worse off then we are. The census will break it down into city, urban and metro numbers.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 2:27 AM

Honestly I think the Electromotiv lock out is a croc of shit. They're making big demands meanwhile they're parent company Caterpillar is posting quarterly profits.

These are decent paying jobs too and it's depressing right after the closure in St. Thomas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy