HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 6:08 PM

^ I would agree... it could have been better, but I would say it met the minimum standards of acceptability. Decent masonry exterior, respectable height, built to the curb... not really a sore-thumb kind of building.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 6:43 PM
BANNED

In regards to this area, does anyone know if Earl's is tweaking the design for the downtown location?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
In regards to this area, does anyone know if Earl's is tweaking the design for the downtown location?
They're going completely back to the drawing board on this one, all the plans are suspended for now until they figure out what to do. From rumblings inside it sounds like they may be looking for a partner to develop the land with. Renovating the existing building for their use is not an option though... From what I hear they are likely going to be pushed back 1-2 years on this.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 7:16 PM
BANNED

Additional artists' space would be great, although the price of rent may be prohibitive. Perhaps subsidies may be available/created?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 9:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It depends on what he means. Just removing the surface parking lot and keeping everything else the same is lipstick on a pig. I mean, if you're going to waste all that space out front you might as well just let people park there. But what really needs to happen is to build right up the curb. The city needs to get on developers to do this... stop allowing big setbacks downtown, as if it was some suburban industrial park.

I don't recall them articulating any such vision. The ghastly MLLC plan would seem to drive that point home. Regardless of whether or not it gets built, Skycity's plan is the model for how new buildings should interact with Graham Avenue.
I know Graham (and the Bay) was a priority, but given how much development needs to be seen downtown, add it to the list I suppose.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Additional artists' space would be great, although the price of rent may be prohibitive. Perhaps subsidies may be available/created?
Quote:
I know Graham (and the Bay) was a priority, but given how much development needs to be seen downtown, add it to the list I suppose.
I don't know if anyone's welcomed you to the forum yet, but I'd like to take the time to do so.

You seem to have an intimate knowledge of development and economics/feasibility of the Winnipeg market. I'd assume your involved in the industry in Winnipeg in some capacity?

Any way, welcome.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 10:41 PM
BANNED

Thanks. I have not registered until now lest I be gangbanged by those who cannot accept criticism of the city. I figured I would try my luck, and perhaps reign myself in, and try not to offend anyone.

Professionally I am not involved, but seeing downtown Winnipeg become something so much greater than it is has always been a dream. I have travelled a lot, and resided in cities across Canada over the last 20 years, and desire to see downtown Winnipeg become a lot more modern: not in the sense of demolishing our beautiful heritage buildings, but enhancing many with additions perhaps, as seen in numerous other cities. There are many areas of downtown that simply appear as they did decades ago, and there are abhorrent structures such as the Radisson downtown which need to be recladded, or the former Dreman Place parkade. These types of concrete monoliths offend me, and make Portage Avenue very cold.

I may cite Minneapolis a lot as an example because it is a city that is a great example of what Winnipeg can become, albeit smaller. This is a city with truly inspirational business leaders, who have made downtown Minneapolis a modern metropolis. Walking around downtown Minneapolis is fun: there is a wonderful mixture of old and new, color and texture and plenty of glass.

Last edited by Urban recluse; Oct 30, 2015 at 11:01 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I may cite Minneapolis a lot as an example because it is a city that is a great example of what Winnipeg can become, albeit smaller. This is a city with truly inspirational business leaders, who have made downtown Minneapolis a modern metropolis. Walking around downtown Minneapolis is fun: there is a wonderful mixture of old and new, color and texture.
Minneapolis is a fantastic city and so overlooked when it comes to "great American cities." I think we take it for granted, because it's always just been the closest big city to us, and most trips revolve around MOA. There's so much to do downtown there. The crazy thing too, is all of it has really happened in the last 10-15 years.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 11:25 PM
BANNED

And no oil. Government created the right conditions for investment, and things happen organically.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 11:56 PM

I like Minneapolis, but I'm not sure how much I'd hold it up as a model... at least insofar as downtown development is concerned. Downtown retail has really dried up over the last decade, with only the Macy's left as far as big department stores go. It's not unlike downtown Winnipeg in many ways, except that the towers are bigger (and they admittedly have some beauties down there).

Minneapolis is a nice city, but it has been hurt by the immense sprawl of the area.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 12:51 AM
BANNED

I do not want to fully compare the two based on the population difference. Having said that, downtown Minneapolis is thriving. Downtown Winnipeg is not. I would gladly see Dollar Tree not open and Dollarama close in favor of the downtown Minneapolis Target.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 1:02 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
I would gladly see Dollar Tree not open and Dollarama close in favor of the downtown Minneapolis Target.
Not too bloody likely we will see a Target opening in Winnipeg anytime soon.

Low end retail is thriving in downtown Winnipeg for a reason. Downtown living is regarded as similar as living on Elgin or Pritchard by most.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 1:11 AM
BANNED

Hahaha...yes, I suspect Target corp. is done with us. Sadly this is true. Skycity and Glasshouse will, I believe, change this. I wish D Condo tower was being built on Portage.

Last edited by Urban recluse; Oct 31, 2015 at 1:28 AM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 3:40 PM

Quote:
I do not want to fully compare the two based on the population difference. Having said that, downtown Minneapolis is thriving. Downtown Winnipeg is not. I would gladly see Dollar Tree not open and Dollarama close in favor of the downtown Minneapolis Target.
Everyone wants downtown Winnipeg to be just like the suburbs so stop crapping all over there being a Dollarama and Dollar Tree downtown. Those places are like on every street corner in the suburbs.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 3:55 PM

^ I don't know why people rag on Dollarama and Dollar Tree for being there. Would we seriously be better off without those stores there? It's not like they are only obstacle blocking the way for glamorous Dior and Fendi boutiques.

Focus on making downtown attractive more diverse kinds of retail instead of trying to drive out what little useful retail is left.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 4:35 PM

You'll find dollar stores in any downtown, having one on Portage is not really a big deal. What I don't get is why we need Dollarama, Dollar Tree, Giant Tiger and a Buck or Two all within 2 blocks of each other. Redundant no?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 4:40 PM
BANNED

I believe most experts have agreed that downtown retail should be different than that found in the suburbs. Depending on the brand, locations could exist both downtown as well as the suburbs. Personally, I do not like seeing these two retailers on Portage Avenue. I believe Portage Avenue has been sufficiently degraded. I would say downtown's so-called retail strategy has failed, but it has yet to begin.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 6:00 PM

The reality is in Winnipeg had a Mink Mile and it was downtown Portage Ave the increased revenue per square foot those retailers could generate would push out the dollar stores. Right now the dollar stores serve a purpose and no one else is interested in the space.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 7:14 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Personally, I do not like seeing these two retailers on Portage Avenue. I believe Portage Avenue has been sufficiently degraded.
If those stores were not there the spaces would be vacant and probably boarded up. Would that be better?

There are very few if any higher end retailers that want to set up downtown.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 9:26 PM
BANNED

I understand that; I do not like it, but I understand.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan