HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 6:28 PM

^ Yeah, wouldn't want to see it barge through Mill Creek Ravine, but this all highlights the fustercluck that is N-S traffic flow. If this can be improved using Gateway and the rail lands I'm all for it.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 6:41 PM
Community Guy

Perhaps forget about gateway and work on the SLRT...

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 7:53 PM

It seems like SLRT will never go to the airport, and I think faster access to the airport is the important issue here.

The problem with Gateway is that it takes far too long to get from the airport from downtown. Making it free flow would do wonders for this city.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 8:02 PM
Community Guy

SLRT will get there at some point.

As for travel time downtown-YEG, in off peak I can do it in 35-40mins. Peak is an hour or so.

That is perfectly acceptable given everything in my opinion.

Close off some of the local access. Add another 10 seconds to the lights N/S for priority.

We do not need a freeway.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 8:46 PM

I hope SLRT never gets to the airport. There are better ways to serve the airport, and LRTextended that far but still serving as the mas transit spine for the southside would have operational challenges.

A good, affordable, relyable bus route like the one that's proposed is exactly what we need. Superlong term, I'd prefer to see a dedicated airport line piggy-back on HSR tracks.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 8:51 PM

We need freer flow on Gateway. There are too many lights on Gateway right now.

Regardless of actual travel times, waiting at lights leaves a very negative impression on people, especially visitors and anyone who might want to set up a new office downtown.

As airport SLRT seems to have such a low priority, how about removing signaled intersections in stages to create a better expressway?

Does Gateway become a freeway immediately if the hairpin turn is replaced with a bridge?

Does Gateway become a freeway if basic underpasses appear at 34 Ave and 51 Ave a few years later?

Eventually can be a long time in Edmonton, so the word "freeway" is actually a misnomer. Eventually Gateway might become a full freeway, just as the LRT might eventually get to the airport.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 8:53 PM

The other issue with Gateway Blvd/Calgary Tr is its unsightliness. South of Old Strathcona, both roads pass by crappy little strip malls, industrial warehouses, soulless power centres, hole-in-the-wall garages and unsightly hubcap stores. Not a good first impression of our city. If the roads themselves don't change as Ian advocates, then for fuck sakes clean up these eyesores!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 8:57 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike View Post
I hope SLRT never gets to the airport. There are better ways to serve the airport, and LRTextended that far but still serving as the mas transit spine for the southside would have operational challenges.

A good, affordable, relyable bus route like the one that's proposed is exactly what we need. Superlong term, I'd prefer to see a dedicated airport line piggy-back on HSR tracks.
I hope it does and in the medium term. The idea of going from warm condo-LRT-YEG is so nice.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 8:58 PM

BTW, Gateway Blvd was one of the very first topics discussed on C2E:
http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike View Post

I have to wonder how much it would cost after the CP yards are moved to lease rail access and run some surplus BUDD cars from Grandin to a new spur near the airport. Likely much cheaper than any LRT link or any of this freeway nonsense.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 1:06 PM
BANNED

I'm going to post further thoughts on gateway drive in the roads thread, as this is getting away from the topic here.

In short, I think that the bulk of the CP rail rail yards should be redeveloped into mid density residential, perhaps more commercial infill closer to 63 av.

What I don't want to see is another opportunity to improve the transportation network here be completely blocked because of the lack of long term thinking at the time.

If we are going to be ready for an Edmonton of 2.5 mil, we have to think freeway from EIA to downtown and a heavy rail transit link and a SLRT connection.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 3:14 PM
Getting sick of the NCF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
I have to wonder how much it would cost after the CP yards are moved to lease rail access and run some surplus BUDD cars from Grandin to a new spur near the airport. Likely much cheaper than any LRT link or any of this freeway nonsense.
You mean those old Budd Rail Diesel Cars (RDC)? Ahhh, those things were produced in the '50s, and are quite hard to find now, I know Houston picked up a few recently, but they're nearing the end of their lifespan. It might be better to go newer. But that was some bright thinking there, MalcomTucker.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Perhaps forget about gateway and work on the SLRT...
Cold, you gotta remember, these roads aren't just transporting people, but goods as well. LRT is fine for commuters but don't be an ostrich. Good commerce depends on an effective transportation system - and that includes roads and traffic.

Our road system from downtown to AHD needs to be improved. A lot.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercucio View Post
Cold, you gotta remember, these roads aren't just transporting people, but goods as well. LRT is fine for commuters but don't be an ostrich. Good commerce depends on an effective transportation system - and that includes roads and traffic.

Our road system from downtown to YEG needs to be improved. A lot.
Fixed that for you!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 10:36 PM
Community Guy

^why is that a fix? From AHD to YEG it is fine.

Even today, I came in from the south, passed YEG, into downtown in 30mins flat.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
The other issue with Gateway Blvd/Calgary Tr is its unsightliness. South of Old Strathcona, both roads pass by crappy little strip malls, industrial warehouses, soulless power centres, hole-in-the-wall garages and unsightly hubcap stores. Not a good first impression of our city. If the roads themselves don't change as Ian advocates, then for fuck sakes clean up these eyesores!
When will this be put to rest? Seriously, I don't recall seeing a city that has beautiful orchards and lakes, followed by dense, walkable character neighbourhoods all the way to the city centre from the airport. Rather, common sights are what you just describe...strip malls, warehouses, and sprawl. You aren't going to have Stanley Parks and St Catherine Streets within walking distance of airports, just not going to happen. Why? Airports are undesirable. So what gets built around airports? Things that look undesirable as you mention.

Instead, Edmonton should continue working on improving desirable or potentially desirable areas such as downtown, WEM, Whyte Ave, 124 Street, Southgate/Empire Park, etc. As well, it should do a much better job promoting these areas and various events contained within them. With that, when perhaps a tourist visits Edmonton, sure they'll see SEC and ugly warehouses on the taxi drive to Downtown, but they would still have ingrained in their minds of some of Edmonton's beauty due to extensive marketing and therefore know there is beauty in Edmonton.

People don't generally think Toronto is a shithole just because of their experience around Mississauga and the Gardiner, because Toronto is already well known for the CN Tower, Yonge, Kensington Market, ROM, Toronto Islands, etc. Or what about Winnipeg? I don't think Polo Park and Canad Inns Stadium constitutes as awesome looking. But Winnipeg is still somewhat known for more sightly things like the Forks, Exchange District, various festivals. This needs to happen for Edmonton as well.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton