HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 10:08 PM
HVAC guru

Hehe I've driven on roundabouts in Tijuana Mexico, talk about an experience!

in all reality, roundabouts make perfect sense... I'm sure even this one could be easily navigated, but I have serious doubts that some of our... um... "less inclined" drivers out there would be able to deal with it!

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 10:33 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I have a compromise.... they can build roundabouts like that in alberta, but about 100 ft before you enter it they have a big sign with a diagram similar to that graphic, along with an 'escape lane' for those petrified by the sign.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 10:40 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Actually doesn't look as bad in real life, but what's with the squiggly lane marker lines leading up to it?

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 10:44 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
...imagine it but instead of roundabout+straight area+roundabout, it's just one big roundabout
So a roundabout interchange:

If they combined a Dumbbell and Roundabout interchange I could see that as a solution for the Trans-Canada/Deerfoot junction. It already has the two overpasses of a Roundabout interchange so all it needs are two roundabouts on either side.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 10:49 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
So a roundabout interchange:

If they combined a Dumbbell and Roundabout interchange I could see that as a solution for the Trans-Canada/Deerfoot junction. It already has the two overpasses of a Roundabout interchange so all it needs are two roundabouts on either side.

I was thinking use the dumbbell for interchanges presently like this:

and use the roundabout interchange for ones like this:

To minimize design changes and expense. I believe I read in Britain they're starting to use the dumbbell style more as it's cheaper with only one bridge vs two.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 1:49 PM
Home of Hyperchange

So in the subject of drivers in Calgary...

Global was doing another "OMG THE SKY IS FALLING" piece last night, this time on the HORRENDOUS DRIVING in Calgary. Was it about people yielding in a merge, or merging in a yield? No! Was it about people making needlessly wide turns in their oversized SUVs that they have no idea how to drive? No! Was it about traffic lining up doing 70 down Crowchild as they meander towards their eventual left turn in 5 km? No!

Gary Bobrovich (sp?) announced that he was driving in the (his words!) passing lane on the Deerfoot doing 100km/h. AND PEOPLE WERE PASSING HIM! OMG!!! These insane Calgary drivers!!! Some of them were even doing 120!!! Won't someone stop this madness!!!

Sometimes I wonder if Global is actually targetted at the 300 people in the city over 65.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 2:58 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
I saw that piece too and laughed. Also saw that there have been 10 000 accidents on Deerfoot over the past 5 years (and 24 fatalities??). That is disturbing as it indicates that not only do people not know how to drive, but perhaps the road is poorly planned and constructed.

If you lowball the cost of an accident at $1000 damage to a vehicle that adds up to $10 000 000 worth of needless damage to vehicles (and that is probably on the low side). Add on the human cost in insurance payouts and healthcare costs and that is probably easily another $10 000 000. And the cost of lost time and revenue for businesses adds up too.

How much do we need to lose before that road is upgraded to a better standard??

Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 7:36 PM

Watched the news last night and thankfully the police said that speed is not a factor in most collisions on the deerfoot but rather congestion and poor driving habits. At least the police know what's up.

On another note: Does anybody know if the GE5 interchange construction is on schedule or even ahead of sched? I live 2 blocks South of it and progress seems to be happening really fast lately. They've already tarred and steamrolled, looks like they'll be laying asphalt any day now.

Kris

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 8:03 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
I believe GE5 is on schedule to finish up by this fall at the latest. That does not include the portion further west over the Glenmore reservoir though. That part is still a year or 2 away from completion.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 8:30 PM

That is correct. I believe they are pretty close to being on schedule as the initial target for having it all done was mid summer.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 9:00 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
That is disturbing as it indicates that not only do people not know how to drive, but perhaps the road is poorly planned and constructed.
You hit the nail on the head, we are paying the price of mediocrity. Deerfoot was poorly constructed and could have been built to a much higher standard. If they only spent the extra amount of money that comes along with building things to a higher level in the first place we wouldn't be facing the current predicament we find ourselves in. The city and businesses alike are continuing the make this same mistake.

Look at the city's decision to delay the purchase of Automatic Public Toilets. They are now looking into buying inferior toilets with cheaper initial costs, but what about the additional costs that will come with it later on? Cost such as, manual labour to clean the toilets, and repair costs associated with cheaper products. It begs the question, how much longer will businesses and governments continue to simply construct things that function at the lowest allowable level. Simple designs and cheap construction costs lead to complex problems and expensive repair costs.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 9:16 PM

^

That's the Canadian way I'm afraid. Do everything on the cheap. No long-term thinking. Use a cheaper design that's already obsolete for a quick band-aid fix. It's all too common. No wonder our standard of living is slipping.

Kris

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisYYC View Post
What do you guys think of the city replacing some intersections with roundabouts? Some of the smaller yet busy (relatively) intersections could be better off as roundabouts in my opinion. A good example is the 4 way stop on McCall way by the Air Canada hangar. It's totally ridiculous during the day, lined up 12 cars or more, a roundabout would work well here.

Then again, the average Canadian driver can barely handle driving an automatic on roads that are 50 feet wide with basic 4 way stops...

Kris
Well when the new runway gets built, one won't have to worry about McCall Way anymore, which will either get buried or eliminated completely. I think the latter is the option I'd heard being favoured. Access to the firehall/WS and AC hangers via a road connecting to Airport Trail and/or a realigned Barlow Trail. All just hearsay though.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy