HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

999 Seymour in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 4:20 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

999 Seymour St | 62.6M | 22Flrs | Completed

Looks like this one is going to go ahead this time around, now that Townline has weathered the recession and the Gardens in Richmond is well underway.

It will be located on the NW corner of Seymour and Nelson. Looks like a slight change from the original go around, the project is now 22 storeys instead of 21, although it will remain at the same overall height. Seems to be a common trend nowadays. Still going with the original design from Acton Ostry Architects. Looks like the number of residences will be between 140-150.
This project has already been rezoned, so it should be able to go ahead quite quickly if desired. ( I don't envision the extra floor requiring them to revisit the application).

If any of the forum members have pics, please post them.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 5:23 AM

^ Thanks for the info. From the Downtown updates thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In View Post
Good news! 999 Seymour should be a good addition to that corner. Here's a render from Townline's website - nice looking curtain wall. I recall that these units had odd outside/inside balconies the first time around - I wonder if that's been changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 6:03 AM

Here's a model shot via Changing City Updates:

Changing City Updates: 999 Seymour Street

I quite like the balcony shades, and I'm sure I'd appreciate them as a resident in the [non-2011] summertime.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 9:00 AM

Additional renders from the Acton Ostry website:

http://www.actonostry.ca/projects/sey/

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 1:08 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

interesting they squished in another floor. I love this project! will it be in the ground this year still? or?

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 8:09 PM
Dig-it

Personally I think those floor plans are bizarre at best. They have taken over-sized balconies, thrown a fireplace outside and made available a sliding curtain that is open to the elements and are trying to pass it off as living space.
For one it's going to be way to cold 8 months out of 12 and if you want to fully utilize it, you gas bills are going to go through the roof as you heating the great outdoors. Very strange.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFace View Post
Personally I think those floor plans are bizarre at best. They have taken over-sized balconies, thrown a fireplace outside and made available a sliding curtain that is open to the elements and are trying to pass it off as living space.
For one it's going to be way to cold 8 months out of 12 and if you want to fully utilize it, you gas bills are going to go through the roof as you heating the great outdoors. Very strange.
Kind of like the old "enclosed balcony" trick, except it's "kinda/semi-enclosed".

Agree about your observation. I'd rather see something like that for a waterfront or park-adjacent project, but not in that location. Not one bit.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 10:22 PM
Dig-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Kind of like the old "enclosed balcony" trick, except it's "kinda/semi-enclosed".
I suspect the city wouldn't permit them to have the balcony/deck enclosed as that would ad to the total finished living area allowable, so they are trying the smoke and mirror approach.
It didn't work the first time, will be interesting to see if people bite the second time around.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 11:14 PM

I would bite for this design. you can just create a thin sliding glass door and you can enclose this balcony.. assuming strata management allows this.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 11:53 PM

It's worth noting that the balconies are south west-facing, so they should get a lot of light and a fair amount of warmth, though they will still be awfully windy.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 12:02 AM

I actually like the balcony concept, but not sure it's appropriate for one of the noisier areas of downtown.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 12:48 AM
Vancouver User

I don't know the details of this project's final finishings, but another thing their balcony "trick" accomplishes is the allowance of a gas fireplace.

You can't put them inside new condo developments, but you CAN put them on balconies, terraces, etc.!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrifice333 View Post
I don't know the details of this project's final finishings, but another thing their balcony "trick" accomplishes is the allowance of a gas fireplace.

You can't put them inside new condo developments, but you CAN put them on balconies, terraces, etc.!
Huh? Gas fireplaces not permitted anymore? What blind hippy reason are they touting behind that? We've got natural gas to burn.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 3:32 PM
Vancouver User

^^^Basically in a hydro-electric province, various other forms of energy are much more efficient and environmentally friendly.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 3:57 PM

I thought it was more of a safety concern. Gas stoves are still allowed I take it?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 3:53 AM

yes

you can have one in a condo or house if you can prove there was one in the house/condo before and it got taken out or changed in a reno i believe

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 8:48 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Noticed this posted yesterday. Don't think they'll have any issue.

Quote:
Acton Ostry Architects Inc. has applied to the City of Vancouver to amend an as-yet-unenacted CD-1 (Comprehensive Development) By-law at 999 Seymour Street. If approved, the amendment would change the balcony floor space ratio (FSR) exclusion from 8% to 12%.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 1:46 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Going to council on the the 4th.

Quote:
The form of development originally approved for 999 Seymour Street, at a public hearing in January 2008, was for a 21-storey (62.64 m) mixed residential-office-retail building with a floor space ratio (FSR) of 9.65. Following the public hearing, a development permit application (DE411857) was made but the project was put on hold due to economic uncertainty. In May 2011 the applicants returned with a revised development application which responds to changes in the real estate market since the original approval. The project
now proposes 150 dwelling units, versus 115 in 2008. Included are some smaller, more affordable units.
Quote:
Balcony exclusion amendments
The 2008 form of development included a mix of open and enclosed balcony spaces on the residential floors. The balcony floor space exceeded the 8 percent exclusion allowed in the CD-1 By-law by about 5,100 sq. ft. This overage is permissible, but it is not excluded and would count in the FSR.
The revised building proposal of May 2011 reconfigures the residential floors with large open balconies along the south façade. Large balconies with a south exposure are a passive design feature because they provide shading for the dwelling units during the summer months. The new balcony configuration comprises 12 percent of the building residential floor area. The applicant has requested that the allowable balcony exclusion in the CD-1 By-law be increased from 8 to 12 percent to enable provision of this passive design feature. Staff support the use of large south-facing balconies in this building and at this location, noting that a 12 percent exclusion has been approved in other developments for the same reasons. The Rolston at 1336 Granville Street and some buildings at the Olympic Village include large south- and west-facing balconies as passive design features.
In order for deeper, larger balconies to provide a solar shading benefit, they must not be enclosed. Therefore it is further recommended that the by-law not allow enclosure of balconies. The balconies proposed in the revised application for 999 Seymour Street are all open balconies, although the applicant has proposed perforated movable screens which will provide a further shading benefit while allowing ventilation.
With a 12 percent balcony exclusion, the 5,100 sq. ft. of floor space that was previously counted in the FSR can now be relocated as additional interior space. It is proposed that the floor-to-floor dimension be reduced by about four inches on average. Cumulatively this allows for one additional floor to be added to the building. (The floor-to-ceiling dimension within
the dwelling units would reduce from 8'- 4½" to 8'- 0½".) The number of storeys in the tower would change from 21 to 22. However, because of the reduction in the floor-to-floor dimension, this change would be achieved within the CD-1 By-law maximum height of 62.64 m (205.5 ft.). Likewise, the revised building would conform to the CD-1 By-law density limit of 9.65 FSR, as the additional interior space would be the previously counted balcony space.
Ultimately, the changes to the form of development are largely interior changes and will not present any additional view or shadowing impacts than that approved in 2008. The proposed amendment to the CD-1 By-law is presented in Appendix A. It focuses solely on changing the provisions for balcony exclusions except for a housekeeping amendment to the parking section.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 4:47 AM

Thanx Jlo that means no changes to the commercial/office component which is welcome for the neighbourhood. The 2 floor 18K sq ft office component at Onni's Level complex was leased to Canada Revenue Agency and provides a wonderful buzz to the corner.

Any news on the eventual Penthouse development? I remember a few years back word came out that several lots had been assembled and the clubs days were numbered. I live across the street now at Metropolitan Towers and any future structure there will provide much needed shading relief to the stifling gym on the corner.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 7:36 AM

The presentation centre has the signage up but no work yet inside on the showroom.

pic by Built Form

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver