HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: St Patrick's Island bridge comp: Which one do you like?
Rosales + Partners 15 8.11%
Halcrow Yolles (The Reach) 57 30.81%
Halcrow Yolles (Eddie & Flow) 16 8.65%
Manu Chugh 26 14.05%
Busby Perkins + Will 37 20.00%
Buckland Taylor 5 2.70%
Saucier + Perotte 7 3.78%
Delcan 17 9.19%
Marc Boutin 21 11.35%
Sturgess Architecture 47 25.41%
Infinity Engineering 69 37.30%
Arup & Kasian 36 19.46%
Arup & Falko Schmitt 1 0.54%
Arup & Frederick 2 1.08%
SPF with Arup (O-Bar) 9 4.86%
SPF with Arup (Glide) 53 28.65%
Rogers Stirk Harbour 4 2.16%
DeJong 8 4.32%
IBI 0 0%
CH2MHILL (option 1) 2 1.08%
Team IBHL 1 0.54%
RFR / Halsall 9 4.86%
Endres Ware & Amman Whitney 10 5.41%
Other (specify with post) 6 3.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 5:37 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.flood View Post
Looking back at some of the other submissions I have to say we could have been handed much much worse. Of course there were more exciting proposals as well but the original RFR/Halsall proposal is much improved by the increased arch height. Now they better resolve the island access in this design.

I'm glad the Buckland Taylor design wasn't chosen. It screams "been done before" even more than the RFR/Halsall design. I prefer an understated design over a failed attempt at a standout.
I suppose in the end we should just be grateful that no concrete fish stamp art was added and that there were no cowboy hats, natives, or horses.

P.S. does anyone remember that hilarious drawing from another forum (Calgary puck i think) that had the flame spewing cowboy hat and the bones of dead hobos underneath it? That was awesome.

Oh, and where's the uproar over some fancy pants French firm being chosen over our local talent?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 5:44 PM
City of Blinding Lights

GSUS! So basically this is just a muted version of the Arbour Lake to Royal Oak design! FML!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 6:05 PM

Well, unfortunately some of the more daring designs submitted had the problem of not being structurally possible, or costing upwards of double the budget.

"The Reach" Concept, for example, which was popular was actually the sketch of an architect, but because of the objection by the Alberta Association of Architects to the format of the competition, architects got engineers names in front of the submissions - in this case Halcrow Yolles.

I think the totally open nature of the competition was actually a bit of an overreaction to the sole-source Calatrava backlash. I think an Request for Qualifications should have been put out, with a shortlist of 5 to submit concept designs - that's the best competition format.

The revised RFR design won me over. In the end, Calgary is getting two relatively understated, but actually excellent pieces of civic infrastructure in the St. Patrick's Bridge and the Peace Bridge. I also think that the riverwalk and other stuff happening in the East Village that is really overlooked in the shadow of these big bridge projects is truly world class, exciting design. The renovation of St. Patrick's Island is also something that will be amazing.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 6:14 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I suppose in the end we should just be grateful that no concrete fish stamp art was added and that there were no cowboy hats, natives, or horses.

P.S. does anyone remember that hilarious drawing from another forum (Calgary puck i think) that had the flame spewing cowboy hat and the bones of dead hobos underneath it? That was awesome.
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=78160

I preferred this one in particular:

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...7&postcount=65

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 6:24 PM

This bridge isn't bad, with a decent lighting scheme and better interaction with the Island, it should turn out pretty good. Nothing ground breaking, but after the uproar of the Peace Bridge, this one was sure to be more toned down and conservative.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 6:34 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
Lol!!! Hahahaha!
That's just awesome! Yeah, the cowboy hat was the one I was thinking of. Never saw the monster truck one before. Even more awesome! I love the 'recyclable material' it's composed of. Seriously, how is this stuff going on calgary puck but not this site. Haha! Awesome!

Edit: I just read the entire thread again and can;t stop laughing! ahaha!

Last edited by O-tacular; Mar 22, 2010 at 6:48 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 6:35 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
GSUS! So basically this is just a muted version of the Arbour Lake to Royal Oak design! FML!
For the record, THAT bridge looks exactly like a giant McDonald's sign when approached by the road. I've now had two separate people from out of town bring it up completely on their own.

Anyone up for some culture jamming? Let's get a team together and spraypaint it bright yellow some night!

Alternatively, it also looks like a bosom.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 6:49 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
For the record, THAT bridge looks exactly like a giant McDonald's sign when approached by the road. I've now had two separate people from out of town bring it up completely on their own.

Anyone up for some culture jamming? Let's get a team together and spraypaint it bright yellow some night!

Alternatively, it also looks like a bosom.
K, someone's gotta post a pic of this other Macdonalds bridge for those of us not familiar with it.

Oh, and I say we go one further and light the St. Patty's bridge on fire the next time the flames win.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 7:33 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Certainly could have been a lot worse. I do like this proposal with the different sized arches better that the original version. The island connection as proposed is terrible, but refinement should make it better.

The lighting should be great, and if those arches are as shiny as it shows, it will look excellent with the light reflecting off of it.

I disagree somewhat with the not possible/too expensive reasoning though, Though I think there were a few that weren't possible, and some that would have been too expensive, the best ones on the list would have been neither of those.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 7:35 PM

Definitely a little disappointing.

From the renderings it seems like it would be somewhat pleasing when actually on it, but from an exterior perspective is quite underwhelming.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 8:22 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I agree with most of these comments. Wasn't my first choice, and with the original rendering it was a unoffensive design that more or less went unnoticed. With the redesign while still conservative, it has more style, and I can't really say anything bad about it, even if it doesn't excite me.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 8:31 PM
Editor

If the bridge comes out having this sort of chrome/stainless steel look it may turn out not too bad. Off hand, I can't think of any bridges that have the stainless steel/chrome look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
[IMG]

Last edited by Surrealplaces; Mar 22, 2010 at 8:43 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 8:34 PM
Look up, Waaaaaay up

Still better than the Glide proposal.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Still better than the Glide proposal.
Funny, that's the one I loved the most.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 8:39 PM
Look up, Waaaaaay up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
Funny, that's the one I loved the most.
So did the majority of the board. The stairs would of been so slippery in Winter and the thing looked like a giant maxi-pad.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 9:03 PM
Fake News

I'd have to say looking back on the other entries in the competition there were definitely some that would have been worse, but there were also about a dozen that would have been so much better! In the end we get a forgettable, inoffensive piece of fluff that will blend in with the beige blandness we are so accustomed to already.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 10:37 PM
I am the law!

Dont know what the problem is. It's a very elegant bridge.

I think some have unreasonable expectation because this went through a design competition. They are a dime a dozen ... too many to produce something out-of-this-world every time.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2010, 11:23 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
It has the possibility of being quite an elegant bridge, but I can't helping looking at in and being underwhelmed considering all the hoopla we went through. All that effort/competition/public input etc....and that's it? Semi-yawn.
I feel the same way. While we are getting what could be a clean and elegant bridge, it is a little vanilla and a disappointment considering some of the more imaginative designs that were also proposed. Nonetheless, it could be a nice bridge that pleasantly does it's job. It'll be an accent not a center piece and maybe this will provide an opportunity for the natural environment to step up and be the stand-out feature...
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 4:18 AM

Video on the Calgary Herald's site. Features CMLC CEO Chris Ollenberger and a representative from Halsall.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Video+C...173/story.html

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 4:52 AM
恭喜发财!

I love it. I've got a thing for suspended arch bridges like this one, and the fact that it looks like a mini version of my favourite Shanghai bridge is an added bonus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates