HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 6:32 PM

^^^ About god damn time!!!!!!

I hope that old troll crook croakes before he gets, he's done enough damage to the economies of both countries, and especially Detroit and Windsor. fINALLY A JUDGE THAT HE CAN'T BUY OFF!!!!!!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Manuel Moroun, the owner of the Ambassador Bridge has been sent to jail.‏

Full story here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...nada&ir=Canada

Will this help revive the new bridge crossing for the 401?

-Ryan (Haljackey)
This can only help to get it passed now in Michigan. I honestly can't see this helping the opposition to the new crossing. Almost every major company on both sides of the border support this crossing, as well as most jurisdictions and polititicians. The only ones to not support it were the corrupt state republicans who's votes were bought by Maroun.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 8:14 PM

I hope that Bridge gets built, and that the Ambassador Bridge is rendered obsolete, or better yet, structrually unsafe. What a joke that bridge is even in it's current form - I have never been more confused or scared trying to drive back to Canada and trying to get there from I-75.

Can't wait for that new bridge to finally be built, and hopefully that happens sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2012, 9:54 PM

It's possible that Michigan Governor Snyder can go above the Michigan legislature, like a veto.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 5:44 AM

Quote:
I hope that Bridge gets built, and that the Ambassador Bridge is rendered obsolete, or better yet, structrually unsafe. What a joke that bridge is even in it's current form - I have never been more confused or scared trying to drive back to Canada and trying to get there from I-75.
True, and that's exactly why the old bastard was jailed.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 3:11 PM

The bridge company has been in contempt of court soo many times, it's obvious Matty doesn't take the judicial system too seriously and is not intimidated. A message had to be sent and I emplore judge Prentice for taking a stand against the bridge company.

Last edited by Symz; Jan 13, 2012 at 9:03 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 8:59 PM

You gotta love that judge, no bullshit, and he does exactly what he says he will.

I'm sure Maroun was as shocked as everybody else was

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 11:35 PM

Well, the Marouns are already out of jail! They spent the night in the VIP section of the jail and were released today......

So much for that eh?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 1:39 AM

It was fun while it lasted. He's only out while they appeal - he could go back again.

Based on the Windsor Star poll today, nobody has sympathy for him despite the fact that he's a frail 84-year old. 91% of the respondents were happy about the jail sentence lol

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 3:47 PM

I wish they would throw his son in jain, he's the biggest douche bag ever, I can't stand watching his face on tv.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 3:34 AM

So for your Windsorites, has his jailing done anything to encourage the new bridge to be revisited?!?!

Apparently Michigan Governor Synder has a full veto on the new bridge, and he could use it to force construction. I've heard he's trying to do things the hard way, but to ensure the public is on board with it. Is there a chance he can just simply run away and have the new crossing built without the House's approval? (I don't understand fully how things in Michigan's political system work)

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
So for your Windsorites, has his jailing done anything to encourage the new bridge to be revisited?!?!

Apparently Michigan Governor Synder has a full veto on the new bridge, and he could use it to force construction. I've heard he's trying to do things the hard way, but to ensure the public is on board with it. Is there a chance he can just simply run away and have the new crossing built without the House's approval? (I don't understand fully how things in Michigan's political system work)
The bridge vote may go Snyders' way this time, as some of the politicians that took Marouns' money may reconsider their vote. With him going to jail, the eyes of the Michigan politicians may finally be opened to the reality of what's really happening, as opposed to whay Maroun tells them. Plus it might look bad to continue supporting him to the voters that also now know the real story.

Snyder can bypass the houses approval and get the bridge started if he chooses, but that would be a last ditch effort, because it would not endear him to the republicans if he chooses to do so.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
The bridge vote may go Snyders' way this time, as some of the politicians that took Marouns' money may reconsider their vote. With him going to jail, the eyes of the Michigan politicians may finally be opened to the reality of what's really happening, as opposed to whay Maroun tells them. Plus it might look bad to continue supporting him to the voters that also now know the real story.

Snyder can bypass the houses approval and get the bridge started if he chooses, but that would be a last ditch effort, because it would not endear him to the republicans if he chooses to do so.
So if the Michigan Legislature decides on another vote - how soon could that happen or take place?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 9:47 PM

Quote:
So if the Michigan Legislature decides on another vote - how soon could that happen or take place?
I'm not really sure. I'm not that up to speed on the political system in Michigan. I could tell you that each time it gets delayed it doesn't phase me anymore because it's happened soo many times.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 9:49 PM

Quote:
I'm not really sure, but I think they can put it to vote whenever they feel they might have the votes to pass it.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 4:10 PM

Here are a few photo updates on the WE Parkway.

Within the past week they have started a few road closures so it's starting to pick up.

photos from the www.windsorstar.com

Quote:
WINDSOR, Ont. -- Traffic detours and road closures are coming fast and furious within and around the $1.4-billion Windsor-Essex Parkway construction zone.

Drivers woke up Thursday to find Matchette Road barricaded starting at the Sprucewood Road intersection up to Armanda Street — a key commuter route for LaSalle residents. It will remain blocked off through today.

Also opened on Wednesday was the new Spring Garden Road which now brings traffic on to Bethelem Road much further west than the old road which has been permanently removed.

Several other road and lane closures have already occurred with others looming in the next several days.

The right turn lane on northbound Howard Avenue at Highway 3 is scheduled to be closed on Tuesday between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. for utility work.

Work on the Grand Marais drain has also shut down the right lane on northbound Huron Church Road between Pulford Street and Grand Marais Road. That lane will stay closed until the end of April.

Construction is also in full swing adjacent to E.C. Row Expressway and Ojibway Parkway in placing down wick drains and forcing occasional lane closures. Included among them was this week on eastbound Ojibway Parkway at the end of E.C. Row being reduced to a single lane for two days in work that was scheduled to be completed on Thursday.

Broadway Boulevard between Matchette Road and Ojibway Parkway has been closed since the start of the month and will remain shut down until at least next week.

Other major work on the project includes the Howard Avenue diversion and roundabout south of Highway 3 which should be completed this summer.

Removal of the old North Talbot bridge has already occurred with Highway 401 widening underway in that location and a new bridge construction started.

Relocation of Spring Garden sanitary sewer has been completed, while several kilometres of new noise barriers and retaining walls throughout the parkway route now underway.

These photos are from www.windsorite.ca

The new re-aligned Spring Garden road. The old road was right in the path of construction of the parkway.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 12:23 AM
User Registered

Thanks for the update Symz!

I was at a comedy show last week and the guy was ranting about Windsor. He stated that it's the only place where even Tim Horton's is going out of business (he said he saw one closed on Highway 3).

I was about to tell him that it was being demolished for the W-E parkway lol, but I didn't want to ruin his act.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:

I was at a comedy show last week and the guy was ranting about Windsor. He stated that it's the only place where even Tim Horton's is going out of business (he said he saw one closed on Highway 3).

I was about to tell him that it was being demolished for the W-E parkway lol, but I didn't want to ruin his act.
That is funny.

That stretch of road looks soo different.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 6:37 PM

Quote:

See what we have to put up with down here! That was funny though.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 1:43 AM

Some pictures from the Windsor-Essex Parkway page on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/weparkway/

Entire neighbourhoods were relocated.

They seem to update the Flickr group very regularly!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario