HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Didn't they also uppify the roadbed, though?
If you mean the road grade, then yes it'll be a bit higher than before to clear the culvert by the looks of it. Not enough to make a real difference in a schedule though - they would have to backfill anyways. This could have been done in 1 construction season if they wanted to.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2023, 5:48 PM

Similar project in Quebec City. Posted this one here before, but now were starting to see some completed sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidivivid View Post
The artificial sand beach and shallow pool, centerpiece of the third phase of Samuel-De-Champlain's linear park, will soon open to the public.

Via Quebecurbain

https://www.quebecurbain.qc.ca/2023/...ge-magnifique/

Old Posted Jun 28, 2023, 12:44 PM

So... nothing like the one in Ottawa? I don't believe they're making improvements to the beach (or adding an artificial sand beach), definitely no shallow pool and much less nice public areas.

We're getting upgraded parking, washrooms and a restobar or something. That's about it

Quebec City and Montreal kills Ottawa (and the rest of Canada for the most part) on public realm projects like these.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2023, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
So... nothing like the one in Ottawa? I don't believe they're making improvements to the beach (or adding an artificial sand beach), definitely no shallow pool and much less nice public areas.

We're getting upgraded parking, washrooms and a restobar or something. That's about it

Quebec City and Montreal kills Ottawa (and the rest of Canada for the most part) on public realm projects like these.
Here's the original concept. It was value engineered to death.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/reveal...like-1.5832149

Old Posted Jun 28, 2023, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Here's the original concept. It was value engineered to death.
I think OTSkyline meant Westboro beach.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 8:25 PM

I dont have a picture but lots of progress on the Westboro Beach Pavilion. its Looking really good

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
I dont have a picture but lots of progress on the Westboro Beach Pavilion. its Looking really good
I walked by yesterday - it's going to be a significant expansion. The parking lot across the Parkway is ready and waiting.

Will the pavilion be open year round?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I walked by yesterday - it's going to be a significant expansion. The parking lot across the Parkway is ready and waiting.

Will the pavilion be open year round?
Yes, it's all-season.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 1:36 PM

Took a photo when I was there last night:

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 1:37 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by btap View Post
Took a photo when I was there last night:
Nice. Thanks for that

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 9:03 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

NCC to open part of Westboro Beach this summer as work continues
A portion of the beach similarly opened in 2023 to the public, after it closed entirely in spring 2022, when the NCC began a $21-million rehabilitation project.

Marlo Glass, Ottawa Citizen
Published Apr 16, 2024 • Last updated 1 hour ago • 1 minute read

A section of Westboro Beach will open to the public this summer for the second year in a row.

The National Capital Commission announced Tuesday that an “unsupervised section” of Westboro Beach would be open to the public this summer as work on the property continued.

“Swimming is at your own risk. No lifeguards will be on duty and no water testing will be done this summer,” the social media post read.

The NCC said it would again provide garbage bins and portable washrooms in the area for the public this summer. The parking lot will not be open for public use due to construction along the Kichi Zībī Mīkan parkway, but limited public parking is to be available at the intersection of Lanark and Kirchoffer avenues.

A portion of the beach similarly opened in 2023 after it was closed entirely in spring 2022, when the NCC began a $21-million project to rehabilitate the beach’s pavilion, build new bathrooms and a larger parking lot and do additional landscaping.

That work was to have been finished by September 2023, but the project is behind schedule.

The NCC was asked for an updated timeline for the project, but did not immediately respond on Tuesday.

In 2023, NCC chief executive officer Tobi Nussbaum said work on the Westboro Beach project had been hindered by supply-chain breakdowns due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“While we’re still confident that much of the building will be constructed this year, there will be important landscaping and other related parts of the project that will only be done next year,” Nussbaum said.

With files from Postmedia News

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/ncc-t...work-continues

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 9:07 PM

Wow. Common sense prevailed? Last year (or was it before last?) they just fenced off the entire beach for no reason at all.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Wow. Common sense prevailed? Last year (or was it before last?) they just fenced off the entire beach for no reason at all.
They did this last year. The year before, the beach was fully closed.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 3:50 PM

If the Parkway portion of the LRT tunnel is supposed to be done (concrete work, at least) and back-filled this summer, do we have any information about when the new road alignment and park will be worked on? Are current designs available?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
If the Parkway portion of the LRT tunnel is supposed to be done (concrete work, at least) and back-filled this summer, do we have any information about when the new road alignment and park will be worked on? Are current designs available?
I would assume they'd start work on re-establishing Byron Park and the Parkway soon after, sort of like the 174 was re-aligned to its final configuration once they finished work.

This doc is outdated, from before the contact was awarded and Sherbourne Station was moved, but it gives you an idea of what Byron Park could be.

https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/do...170523_ENG.pdf

And here's the Parkway. Again, not sure how up to date this is:

https://kitchissippiward.ca/sites/de...0Alignment.pdf

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 5:44 PM

Quote:
And here's the Parkway. Again, not sure how up to date this is:

https://kitchissippiward.ca/sites/de...0Alignment.pdf
hallelujah!!!! I knew I had seen something in the past regarding the realignment of the parkway and had been trying to find it again for months now!

Last edited by SL123; Apr 17, 2024 at 7:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 6:23 PM

Quote:
They did this last year. The year before, the beach was fully closed.
Yes, the beach was fUlLy cLoSeD.

The Westboro Beach situation the past couple of years is a good object lesson in how maybe the public authorities in this town ought to trust people a little more.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 8:29 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The NCC fixes up Westboro Beach even as 24 Sussex Drive lies gutted
Nearby residents will benefit from the west-end makeover, but how do we justify taxpayers from across Canada financing it, particularly when the PM's official residence remains in renovation limbo?

Tom Spears
Published Apr 16, 2024 • Last updated 1 day ago • 3 minute read

On a damp Monday morning this week, workers were busy on the new pavilion that has mostly taken shape at Westboro Beach.

For decades, the beach and its weird concrete building have been a popular place for locals to swim, have nachos and drinks on the patio, and watch sunsets over a lake-sized section of the Ottawa River.

Now, the little neighbourhood attraction is expanding both in size and content, as the National Capital Commission is investing $21 million in a makeover.

There will be a second building: a pavilion with restaurant, “multi-use” room and a terrace. Workers will rip out the invasive plants overgrowing the ruins of a sawmill that burned in 1888 (James Skead built the first in 1870, but it burned down. E. B. Eddy owned a later mill, which also burned.)

They’re adding a volleyball court, picnic area, lookouts, interpretive signage and play areas that will focus on the history of the site. The parking lot shifts farther away.

All this makes Ottawa a city of two tales: the NCC can’t repair or replace 24 Sussex Drive, now mothballed after decades of neglect. (In polite language, that’s a “maintenance deficit.”) But it has $21 million for a beach that mostly serves nearby residents — and is likely to continue that way, as there’s limited parking space compared to the big lots at Britannia and Mooney’s Bay beaches.

In the NCC’s view, it will be more than a beach. It will preserve local history and “animate” the area just uphill from the beach. More room to play and picnic. The old concrete bunker will remain, but fixed up inside: more accessible, with gender-neutral washrooms.

I’ve taken my grandkids to Westboro Beach in the fall and watched them happily clamber up and down the steep slope where the mill once stood, over rocks and tree roots. I grew up exploring the outdoors in summers, finding garter snakes and Queen Anne’s lace and wild raspberries (and poison ivy). Do children need to be told how to play in historically authentic ways? It’s a beach and a hillside. Just let them go.

It would be one thing if this were a city park, where people can always debate the merits of one feature versus another. But we’re asking the Canadian public to pay for it.

I’ve lived about half my life in Ottawa and I’m looking at this through the eyes of someone from far away. Should someone in Alberta be paying for me to go to the beach? And, of course, the patio and washrooms and volleyball court and the counter serving light lunches?

Different question: When tourists visit Ottawa, is this the type of attraction that draws them?

For years, I’ve listened to the NCC say it has a mandate to make the capital region a place Canadians can be proud of, and that’s great. Yes, people want to see Parliament, and the museums, Rideau Hall, the canal that really put Ottawa on the map, and more.

But I don’t feel that little Westboro Beach will pull them in, no matter how you design it.

The beach has never been a major draw. It had only 65 parking spaces until the recent work, and transit doesn’t come anywhere near it, although a bike path does. The future parking lot can’t be big either, given the site. For years, I’ve passed it on the Kichi Zibi Mikan and on a nice July weekend the beach will be reasonably full, but I wouldn’t put the numbers far over 100 people at a time.

And that’s in summer. For most of the year it doesn’t draw anyone but walkers and cross-country skiers, who are all just passing through.

By contrast, the century-old River House, which reopened last summer after a $20-million makeover, has a bistro, two wraparound balconies with stunning views of the Ottawa River, boat and kayak docks and an enclosed area for river swimming. It was expensive too, but at least it preserved a heritage building and offers docks, which Westboro cannot.

Coincidence: The combined costs of refurbishing Westboro and River House about equal the budget estimate for fixing 24 Sussex Drive top to bottom.

Yes, we want the capital to preserve its attractive traits. But with 24 Sussex gutted and unfunded, it’s hard to make the case that people across Canada should pay — and pay this much — for beach-side nachos in Ottawa.

Journalist Tom Spears is a former Ottawa Citizen environment reporter.

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/sp...ve-lies-gutted

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 8:56 PM

OMG!!! What an unimaginative, awful mess that is.

Design team:
Let’s just make it two, parallel roads that wobble a bit. Can we just pave the strip between them? Oh, and let’s bring both lanes even closer to the homes that forced us to bury the train – even closer than the train would have been.

OK, I’ll try to be fair and think about what the designer might have been thinking when they laid out this road:
  • The ‘serpentine’ alignment of the road will make drivers slow down, naturally; the same way that it does on Hunt Club West, right? Ridiculous. It simply makes a challenging ‘slalom’ for people to race through. And it means that headlights (potentially ‘High-Beams’, since I expect no overhead lighting) from the other direction will be sweeping into view.
  • Turning the road closer to the at-grade portion of the LRT line will potentially flash headlights into the eyes of the train operators and passengers.
  • Moving the road away from the water will maximize the new waterfront park; so that must be a good thing, right?. Except, that the layout makes several turns that go even closer to the water than the old road. This creates ‘pinch points’ in the park.
  • Keeping the two directions close together and parallel makes this feel like a big, wide, major road – like Baseline or Carling. This is certainly no longer a meandering Parkway with interesting views. How about some distance between the directions for some plantings – or anything of interest? As shown in that diagram, I wouldn’t be surprised if the narrow central median simply gets paved to minimize maintenance.

The only way I can describe this is a big FAIL.

I notice that the plate has the City’s logo on it. I assume that this was drawn up by someone in the city. Dare I say it; Give the job to the NCC. It might take 40 years, but they, at least, can come up with things that look nice. It appears that such an achievement is beyond the capability of the city.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 9:22 PM

I will never be able to comprehend why we are sticking to the Greber 'mini freeway' in this redesign, again creating a dead space between opposing sides and effectively cutting off the city from the water. It should be a straight tree lined 50km/h interlock stone promenade with dozens of at grade pedestrian crosswalks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues