HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 2:49 AM

I believe November's Northwest Examiner has photos of some of these buildings. They are pretty cool and if they can transfer their FAR power to them.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 3:01 AM

You should add Ground Kontrol to that list... but I guess that is technically Old Town, huh? Are the North Park Blocks the divider between Old Town and Pearl?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 3:05 AM

Isn't NW Broadway the border separating Old Town from the Pearl?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
Yeah, I believe Broadway is the divider, not Park. Hm, that means we lose...Park Kitchen, that Tiger Bar place (does it still exist?), and...not much else, I guess.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2007, 8:59 AM

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post

The Pearl District borders are between NW Broadway/I-405 and W Burnside/Fremont Bridge

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 3:45 PM

Has anyone noticed that the Gerding Theater changed their sign on 11th Ave? I remember reading an article back before it opened boasting about how innovative the original sign was. This new one is definitely more noticeable though.

I found this picture on SpongeG's photo thread:

Old Posted Nov 9, 2007, 10:52 PM

Yeah, I was walking by awhile back, maybe a month ago (?), and I saw a group of workers carting off the tall, white, PCS sign. They had it on wooden dolly carts and they looked to be really struggling with it.

It was nice. Where'd it go?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 12:52 AM

I just moved into Kearney Plaza which is owned by Hoyt Street Properties. The leasing agent was telling me about the "Night at the Met" party the company had in the Metropolitan penthouse on Friday. She said an acquaintance of Jennifer Aniston was there and told her that Jenny loves Portland and is looking to buy a condo in the Pearl somewhere.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 3:03 AM

the Night at the Met was fun...about 200+ people, somewhat formal, great food and drink, new owners, who's who in portland, the owner/contractor/architect team...tours of units...it was a great celebration with lots of happy people.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 3:04 AM

^^^I'd be happy too if I were able to live in that building

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 5:41 PM

502-514 NW 9th | X | 9 Floors | Proposed

From the pre-application agenda...

Proposal: The proposal is to construct a 9-story building with ground floor retail.
Below grade parking is proposed. The existing building located in the
northeast corner will be demolished. The remaining three structures are
proposed to be renovated. The entire block is designated as a Historic
Landmark. A Pre-application Conference was previously held for this
project, however that conference expired (EA 06-150135).
Land Use Reviews Expected: A Type III Historic Design Review is required for alterations to a portion
of a Historic Landmark.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 6:32 PM

I think this is the building that is going to be demolished. It is across the street to the East of the 937 condos.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 7:31 PM

That's the building, although the corner in the picture you posted is the SW corner, not the NE corner. The one in the NE corner is the one that says honeyman hardware lofts and I believe has one remaining wall from the original building and then they rebuilt that corner of the block behind that wall.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 12:07 AM

Isn't Cafe Allora located in the building pictured?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Isn't Cafe Allora located in the building pictured?
It is - Cafe Allora is on the building on the SW corner of the block. On the NW corner is the honeyman hardware apartments, about 8 stories, and then on the SE corner is Magnum Opus. I'm not sure what is behind the facade on the NE corner that they want to tear down - I think just parking plus a 2 story penthouse on top.

Last edited by Pearl_Steve; Nov 16, 2007 at 3:13 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 4:02 PM

Isabel 'Portland's shortest skyscraper' opens

Isabel mixes classic proportions, sustainable features
Portland Business Journal - by Sean Meyers Business Journal staff writer

Portland's shortest skyscraper quietly opened for business in October.

Isabel restaurant, located at the heart of the Pearl District, is a plucky 14-foot stack of stone and concrete that combines building techniques rarely seen in domestic small-building construction.

The 1,800-square-foot, one-story structure was built with poured-in-place concrete, a method very common in high-rise construction and almost unheard of in a building the size of Isabel. All things considered, it's a fabulously complex, expensive and sustainable way to build a restaurant that prides itself on fabulously simple, affordable and sustainable food.

The building was designed to be as free of grit as the food. It has an extremely rare hydrophobic roof, a one-piece method that eliminates the need for a membrane and which should last for many years with little maintenance. A hydrophobic roof and poured-in-place concrete allows for hidden gutters and downspouts, further accentuating the sleek lines of the structure.

Isabel is built using the so-called golden ratio of 1.618, used in architecture for centuries, if not millenniums, lending it a look that's both elegant and functional. It combines that traditional element with modern ones -- not only the poured-in-place concrete but also several sustainable features.

The building is the brainchild of John Carroll, owner of The Elizabeth, nearby loft condominiums. He wanted an anchor for the small shopping pavilion that opens to the west of the condominiums.

Though it's a very juicy spot in one of Portland's choice neighborhoods, Carroll resisted the economic temptation to build a larger structure. He didn't want to reduce the functionality of the plaza or to block sun from the condo, says Gunnar Langhus, project manager for Ankrom Moisan Associated Architects in Portland.

"The idea was to build a jewel on the corner."

Billy Tosheff, co-owner of Isabel restaurant and an experienced designer who is responsible for many of the finish details, tips his hat to Carroll: "I think it was a very generous thing to do for the neighborhood."

The cost?

"I don't think either John or I want to sit down and calculate it," says Tosheff.

The 65-seat restaurant features three 12-foot tall glass windows that rise and pivot to allow easy access to another 40 seats outside, providing a sheltering canopy at the same time. The windows were designed by Turner Exhibits, which is staffed by former Boeing aircraft engineers. The windows employ an elaborate hand-crank and ratchet system that is somewhat similar to an old-style mechanical garage door. The large iron wheels that open each window look intimidating, but the apparatus moves very smoothly.

Eyes glide easily across the warm-tone interior, which includes a ribbon mahogany bar with bark edging and recycled glass tiles. The interior design was meant to counterbalance the industrial look of concrete and glass walls. A floating cork ceiling was attached with nontoxic glue. A lighting system is one of the first installed in North America that includes a photo sensor that's tied in with a yearlong calendar. It automatically keeps the restaurant at the optimal mood lighting, an important detail that is often overlooked when restaurants get busy. It will also save an estimated 30 to 40 percent on lighting costs.

The restaurant's heating and cooling system are designed to harvest available surpluses from The Elizabeth, which sits about 30 feet away. It includes a radiant floor heating system that by necessity must also contain electrical conduits -- there's no convenient opportunity to place them in the concrete walls. The concrete floor has a handsome, nontoxic olive wash finish. Very nice, but also very permanent, requiring a great deal of planning.

Routing lines in the floor is no easy feat in a restaurant, which has extensive and specific needs for electricity, Tosheff notes.

"The hardest part is making sure that you can go where you need to go later."

If the flooring system wasn't already complex enough, Tosheff took it to another level by installing many thousands of feet of wiring for high-speed audio and visual communications such as iPod docking stations. The restaurant plans to add up to five high-definition screens for concert performances, digital media art shows and other uses.

The toughest part of the project was working with solid concrete walls. The easiest was dealing with subcontractors.

"I really like building from scratch and working with master craftsmen," says Tosheff. "I think the challenge of a project like this is the complexity of integrating a full-service restaurant into a small space with limited amount of mechanical access."

Personally and professionally, Tosheff and his wife, chef Isabel Cruz, were growing tired of the ubiquitous and unending game of chasing money in San Diego. They now live next door in The Elizabeth.

"In San Diego, 50 percent of income is spent on housing -- that doesn't leave a lot of room for other lifestyle interests. The way I look at it is people are able to diversify their interests in Oregon, and even more so in Portland," says Tosheff. "You have a lot of things to do. Food is kind of a sport in Portland."

Isabel is the couple's fifth restaurant. The first three were constructed in California and the fourth in Ashland, which was also selected for lifestyle considerations. Hip and eclectic are the prevailing architectural themes in the company's restaurants.

"We also like for them to reflect the neighborhood," he adds, describing the Pearl District as "innovative."

Isabel Cruz seems destined to become one of Portland's top chefs. Her family came to Southern California via New York and Puerto Rico. She was one of the first two women honored for high achievement by California first lady Maria Shriver. A widely quoted television personality, Cruz recently released her first cookbook, "Isabel's Cantina."

portland@bizjournals.com | 503-274-873
http://portland.bizjournals.com/port...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 4:54 PM

That sounds really cool. Any pictures?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 10:24 PM

Has anyone on here eaten there yet?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkealoha View Post
Has anyone on here eaten there yet?
It's delicious. They're only open for Breakfast and Lunch right now and I ate there once for each, both times were really good. It's also affordable, pretty much everything on the menu was under $10.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 6:30 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Hmm, I kind of like those windows. Oh well! I want to know more..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland