HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Was it "added" or was it always there? My sense is that there was never any intention to remove stuff like "Saint-" town and street names. Or even the cross on Mount Royal.

But the cross in the assembly (IMO) had to go because it was right above the speaker's chair and held a lot of symbolism in terms of legislative power.
Conveniently implemented to the Bill might be more accurate. The Bill was created to deny religious freedoms to newcomers while preserving Québec's Catholic history. No one can deny that.

Removing the cross in the Assembly was the absolute minimum they could do in order to not look like complete hypocrites. When the story (removal of the cross) was posted on Facebook, most of the comments were racially charged, blaming new immigrants for its removal, when in reality, it was brought on by this xenophobic Bill.

I'm a little off topic, so I'll try not to further comment on this.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 5:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Conveniently implemented to the Bill might be more accurate. The Bill was created to deny religious freedoms to newcomers while preserving Québec's Catholic history. No one can deny that.

Removing the cross in the Assembly was the absolute minimum they could do in order to not look like complete hypocrites. When the story (removal of the cross) was posted on Facebook, most of the comments were racially charged, blaming new immigrants for its removal, when in reality, it was brought on by this xenophobic Bill.

I'm a little off topic, so I'll try not to further comment on this.
The key word in your post is "history".

Even before Bill 21, any progress of Catholicism or Christianity in the public sphere was verboten.

Yes, public schools with crosses in the stonework and named St-François-d'Assise did not have their façades stripped and maybe the name was not changed. But when they are renovated all the religious stuff disappears, and when two schools merge or a new school opens it's never under a religious name.

So if you merge École Notre-Dame and École St-Paul, it will always have a name like École des Quatre-Saisons.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 9:07 PM
Explorateur urbain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So if you merge École Notre-Dame and École St-Paul, it will always have a name like École des Quatre-Saisons.
And this school will not be part of a government-funded confessional school board, contrarily to the situation in most other provinces... Do these people who voice their strong opposition to bill 21 even realize the irony? A religious school board, which means that their provincial government is essentially favoring one religion over the others???

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 11:52 AM

was speaking with someone in the construction industry yesterday and they said there are over 70 cranes in use in Ottawa right now. The number is higher than any city in the USA but still far short of Toronto which has 200+ right now. It could be that the 70+ figure may not be the same metric used to compile reports like this one: https://www.constructiondive.com/new...s-2022/621806/

but, still, the person told me the number was double what it was pre-pandemic and akin to Toronto about 10 years ago.

I have noticed myself, an incredible amount of construction throughout the city currently.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 12:07 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

I posted about this a while back. Huge activity in the city right now, easily the most I recall ever seeing and I’m born and raised here.

Is there a way of knowing if this is a historical high?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
was speaking with someone in the construction industry yesterday and they said there are over 70 cranes in use in Ottawa right now. The number is higher than any city in the USA but still far short of Toronto which has 200+ right now. It could be that the 70+ figure may not be the same metric used to compile reports like this one: https://www.constructiondive.com/new...s-2022/621806/

but, still, the person told me the number was double what it was pre-pandemic and akin to Toronto about 10 years ago.

I have noticed myself, an incredible amount of construction throughout the city currently.
Cool. Maybe worth sharing on the Canada thread.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 7:57 PM
Mooderator

Quote:

It's annoying when you see content creators on youtube using decade-old b-roll on their videos, uploaded, like.. yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjfR...l=RealLifeLore

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyYOW View Post
I posted about this a while back. Huge activity in the city right now, easily the most I recall ever seeing and I’m born and raised here.

Is there a way of knowing if this is a historical high?
I believe it is!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 9:58 PM

It reminds me a lot of my childhood in Calgary in the early 80's

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 6:00 AM

Quote:

It's not clear if they mean the city proper inside it's municipal boundary - or the metro area? I'd guess Ottawa/Gatineau vs Toronto metro could be a bit more slanted to Toronto if we include Mississauga, Oakville, etc... - but what about vs Los Angeles metro area etc...?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 1:11 PM

I happened to visit the rooftop bar at the Andaz hotel in the byward market - great 180 degree view point of downtown construction. I would say I counted 20 cranes in the vicinity including about 5-6 in Gatineau. If you include Preston street and Carling / baseline areas + suburbs … I am going to estimate that we are in the 30-40 cranes range; have hard time getting to 70 per earlier thread suggestion. Would be great for someone to list it out.

This is probably the most I’ve ever seen in Ottawa-Gatineau having grown up here. Only other time I remember feeling this impressed was early 2000s when the high tech office boom was prevalent in Kanata.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues