HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBuoy View Post
I am soooo annoyed at the excessive amount of monuments in the capital. This area will literally have nothing but monuments! Its a monument graveyard in one of the most pedestrian unfriendly places in the city.,
I don't mind this particular location since there is no much you can do there anyway. But what they are doing at Lebreton is really sad.

Quote:
Can the NCC for the love of god do something with the parking lots behind parliament and the supreme court? Talk about wasted space
Now the location behind the Supreme Court, with its abandoned fountain and parking lot, is a great place for a monument. And LGBTQ+ monument would've been very appropriate there.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 4:27 PM
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post

Now the location behind the Supreme Court, with its abandoned fountain and parking lot, is a great place for a monument. And LGBTQ+ monument would've been very appropriate there.
I appreciate when a statue or monument is integrated into a place where people already go and congregate.

On the other hand this monument is being built like its a going to attract people to this place. Give me a break. It'll be used maybe twice a year for pride or some festival and then remain empty and forgotten the rest of the year round.

Its marginal space, its liminal. Its noisy from traffic. Are people actually happy to have a monument to a marginal group in a marginal place, alongside monuments the government would rather forget about?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Can the NCC for the love of god do something with the parking lots behind parliament and the supreme court? Talk about wasted space
Seriously, though! The primest of real estate.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 4:35 PM

Quote:
I am soooo annoyed at the excessive amount of monuments in the capital. This area will literally have nothing but monuments! Its a monument graveyard in one of the most pedestrian unfriendly places in the city.,
I mean, it's a national capital, and there's gonna be monuments galore, but some of these are so badly thought out and located.

The Lebreton "Monument District" is especially galling. Despite the overbuilt road widths cutting through it, the rights of way are actually on a par with Washington's avenues. Given our endless Washington envy in this town, we could have had Washington-style avenues, but with well-built, street-addressing architecture to give some energy and urbanity to what is now planned to be a windswept plain in perpetuity. It is so hostile.

I worry about the location of the LGBTQ monument making it prime for vandalism and nefarious activities.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post

I worry about the location of the LGBTQ monument making it prime for vandalism and nefarious activities.
Lovers' walk v. 2?

What would the NCC have to talk about at their board meetings if the area was fully developed?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2023, 7:02 PM

Board Meeting Presentation from yesterday:

https://ncc-website-2.s3.amazonaws.c...I-Monument.pdf

Old Posted Jun 28, 2023, 1:28 PM

I've been thinking, it's really not such a huge monument, now that I think of it. It's really just a pathway through a park with a monument in the middle and a few interpretation plaques. This, and the small navy monument nearby, aren't so bad compared to the Victims of Communism or the Afghanistan Monument.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2023, 1:35 PM

The thread title says “Booth st”, is this really Booth street?

Seems like it is way over east of booth and nearer Wellington and the bridge.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2023, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattherat View Post
The thread title says “Booth st”, is this really Booth street?

Seems like it is way over east of booth and nearer Wellington and the bridge.
Corrected. Thank you.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2023, 8:40 PM

ANOTHER monument?!? Enough already!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues