HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 12:54 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
^^^ Eh they'll probably build just as many spaces anyhow. May as well keep the thing and then use it to double down the density and eliminate podiums elsewhere in the project.
It would be nice if they at least fronted it with retail, though.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 1:29 AM

Do we all agree that the McDonald's on Milwaukee in Logan Square should not be allowed to rebuild?

http://www.stevencanplan.com/pedestr...-logan-square/

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWChicago View Post
Do we all agree that the McDonald's on Milwaukee in Logan Square should not be allowed to rebuild?

http://www.stevencanplan.com/pedestr...-logan-square/
Either renovate and keep the same grandfathered site allowances or rebuild and follow the new rules. If you don't like the rules find somewhere else to open up shop.

I really hope that they don't change the Pedestrian Street zoning for a lousy McDonalds.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 4:38 AM
Chicago Kid

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...3458112.column

Union Station master plan, thank goodness this is at least being discussed again.

I take Milwaukee District West everyday. All I can say is that Union Station is the biggest embarrassment to Chicago. Overcrowded, platforms to small, leaking ceilings near platforms, small food court, either to cold or to hot, run down restrooms etc. I can't imagine the bad reputation it leaves to outsiders.

I'm talking about the crappy 1992 Pomo fake art deco Union station underground and not the great hall.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashingLights View Post
I'm talking about the crappy 1992 Pomo fake art deco Union station underground and not the great hall.
Yup, 222 Riverside is a disaster.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 2:17 PM

Demo prep for the new Starbucks at Rush and Oak

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 3:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Either renovate and keep the same grandfathered site allowances or rebuild and follow the new rules. If you don't like the rules find somewhere else to open up shop.

I really hope that they don't change the Pedestrian Street zoning for a lousy McDonalds.
I just sent Ray Colon a note expressing similar concerns and telling him that it is a travesty that a drive thru was ever allowed to be built literally above a subway platform.

I told him that the neighbors have no desire to see more people coming from out of the area and driving in and out of the McDonalds all day and disrespecting the area. If McDonalds wants to rebuild they should either do it within the current footprint or rebuild it as a part of a larger development that gets rid of the parking and hugs the street as every other building along Milwaukee does.

I know I sound like a NIMBY, but fast food restaurants are a blighting influence when they are allowed to go all suburban on a neighborhood. I will certainly do everything in my power to get rid of Ray Colon during the next election once my house is redistricted into his ward.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 3:53 PM

Quote:
I just sent Ray Colon a note expressing similar concerns and telling him that it is a travesty that a drive thru was ever allowed to be built literally above a subway platform.

I told him that the neighbors have no desire to see more people coming from out of the area and driving in and out of the McDonalds all day and disrespecting the area. If McDonalds wants to rebuild they should either do it within the current footprint or rebuild it as a part of a larger development that gets rid of the parking and hugs the street as every other building along Milwaukee does.

I know I sound like a NIMBY, but fast food restaurants are a blighting influence when they are allowed to go all suburban on a neighborhood. I will certainly do everything in my power to get rid of Ray Colon during the next election once my house is redistricted into his ward.
This isn't being a NIMBY. You are providing two options for a design. McDonalds should be held to the same standards as other businesses.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 4:52 PM

Quote:
but fast food restaurants are a blighting influence when they are allowed to go all suburban on a neighborhood.
Between fast food establishments, banks and strip malls it is a worthy battle. None of those three elements add any value to a urban corridor, much less the highly developed ones. Preventing such establishments from intruding and gaining their suburban foothold should be at the top of anyones list.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 5:40 PM
BANNED

The thing that really gets my goat is that the EL literally runs right under the McDonalds... Really? That's like installing a drive through McDonalds under the Damen El Stop with a curb cut coming out right between the auxilarly exits.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 6:41 PM
dream fast

12-12

Halsted St bridge looking south

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 6:49 PM
dream fast

12-12 Thanks, Hayward.^ Earlier that same day...

8-12 East Walton

Last edited by george; Dec 13, 2011 at 8:26 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 7:52 PM
The City

So on around the 1800 block of W Chicago Ave there was a building that was just demo'd. It was supposed to be a part of the Brooklyn Bowl establishment that ended up being cancelled.

I was concerned that this new vacant lot could potentially turn into a strip mall. However, I was delighted to read in today's Curbed Chicago that 2 local Alderman are pushing an ordinance to give that area Pedestrian Street zoning and thus prevent a strip mall from being built on the site.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 8:03 PM
dream fast

Yes, too bad about the proposed Chicago Bowl.^

"A pedestrian street in Chicago zoning parlance requires storefronts close to the sidewalk and bans strip malls, drive-throughs, auto lots, gas stations, car washes and self-storage warehouses.
Plans for the former AAA Distributing Co. building are unknown, but changes may have been triggered when the property recently cleared probate, East Village Association vice president Neal McKnight says. Razing the structure removes a barrier to potential development, McKnight suggests, and rates a modestly lower property tax bill as a vacant lot.

Brooklyn Bowl managing partner Peter Shapiro confirmed to EVA that his development group abandoned plans for a long-term lease of the building. Renovation costs were higher than expected, Shapiro said, and the Chicago Bowl developers grew more concerned that big concerts might overwhelm the area's traffic and parking capacity. The group continues to scout Chicago locations for a music venue, restaurant and bowling alley."

http://news.eastvillagechicago.org/

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 8:11 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
Renovation costs were higher than expected, Shapiro said,
^ Boy, ain't that the truth. I don't know the details behind the Brooklyn Bowl project, but upon my own experience I firmly believe that the city of Chicago would have far fewer vacant lots if the Building Dept didn't act like a stimulus department for the plumbing, electric, and concrete worker's unions. Sheesh.

On another note, I ate at that new Mexican restaurant Cantina Laredo (across from Hotel Palomar) the other day. The food was pretty good, but they did a really nice job with the interior. Sure, a tower would have been better, but this cozy and modern restaurant sure does a lot more for the area than the parking lot that once stood there did.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 8:29 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Boy, ain't that the truth. I don't know the details behind the Brooklyn Bowl project, but upon my own experience I firmly believe that the city of Chicago would have far fewer vacant lots if the Building Dept didn't act like a stimulus department for the plumbing, electric, and concrete worker's unions. Sheesh.

On another note, I ate at that new Mexican restaurant Cantina Laredo (across from Hotel Palomar) the other day. The food was pretty good, but they did a really nice job with the interior. Sure, a tower would have been better, but this cozy and modern restaurant sure does a lot more for the area than the parking lot that once stood there did.
Yeah. now if only the Law Bulletin would move or restore their glass windows that whole strip of State Street would be awesome. Renovating the buildings across from it wouldn't hurt, either.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I was delighted to read in today's Curbed Chicago that 2 local Alderman are pushing an ordinance to give that area Pedestrian Street zoning and thus prevent a strip mall from being built on the site.
The Chicago Avenue P-street extension to Damen would be a great first step for the corridor, hopefully followed by a Historic designation.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 4:10 PM

In other McDonald's news, the Ricketts have purchased the land under the Clark & Addison location. Development can't come soon enough, and it better, considering they paid 20 million for it.

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...-wrigley-field

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 4:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ that's excellent friggin news. that stupid-ass mcdonalds and it's god-awful surface lot are LONG overdue for more intensive, urban development.

think how much different the clark/addison intersection will feel with a redeveloped mcdonalds property and the long anticipated triangle building on the other side of clark.

now let's turn attention to that stupid-ass taco hell on addison.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 4:56 PM

Quote:
...snip...

I like the way you can see inside, deep inside, from the street. Hope to eat there soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development