HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 6:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Well what i meant was the Confederation Bridge is only two lanes and narrow and there's no twinned sections on the island so while they could twin it the Confederation Bridge and her tollbooths/approachs are partly in NB.
Got it. Thanks.

I guess eventually they might twin at least the approaches. Moncton-Charlottetown traffic has picked up considerably since the bridge has been built, from what I gather.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 5:27 AM

Just FYI:

Today the speed limit increased on two small portions of Manitoba highways (a small section of Hwy 75 and Hwy 1 from Sask to Virden). The new speed limit is 110 km/h. I am probably in the minority, but I personally oppose the change (especially for such small segments) until we have better enforcement and the roads are in better shape. I have no problem going 120 in North Dakota (speed limit), but the condition of Hwy 75 across the border was absolutely appalling (though they are fixing it). Hwy 1 E of Winnipeg is pretty bad too (particularily going westbound).

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 3:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake10 View Post
Just FYI:

Today the speed limit increased on two small portions of Manitoba highways (a small section of Hwy 75 and Hwy 1 from Sask to Virden). The new speed limit is 110 km/h. I am probably in the minority, but I personally oppose the change (especially for such small segments) until we have better enforcement and the roads are in better shape. I have no problem going 120 in North Dakota (speed limit), but the condition of Hwy 75 across the border was absolutely appalling (though they are fixing it). Hwy 1 E of Winnipeg is pretty bad too (particularily going westbound).

When the majority of cars are traveling at 110+ anyway on the trans-Canada and on 75 why not raise the speed limit. I've traveled in Montana when there was no a speed limit on even two-lane highways and saw no problems.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 6:30 PM
I am a typical

Even on the 90km/h limit highways here, people go up to 110 and 120 at times, and while accidents happen, they aren't a daily occurrence. Even though it isn't divided, 110km/h on the "expressway" here would probably work, except on a couple stretches where the distance between traffic lights is too short to safely reach that speed before having to stop for the light.

Does any other city in this country have an "expressway" with three traffic lights within a kilometre of each other?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 7:28 PM
So very tired...

^ Yellowhead through Edmonton is pretty close...

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Got it. Thanks.

I guess eventually they might twin at least the approaches. Moncton-Charlottetown traffic has picked up considerably since the bridge has been built, from what I gather.
The bridge carries about 4000 vehicles a day I believe.

Mind you thats averaging it out over a year (or whatever they base them off of) and more vehicles use it in the summer. I imagine most of the winter vehicles are commercial and intra-provincial buses.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 3:01 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

NB TCH Rte. 16 (Aulac to Confederation Bridge) will never be twinned. As Bedford DJ stated, there are no twinned highways on PEI and the Confederation Bridge itself is a two lane bottleneck.

That being said, traffic to PEI can be very heavy in the summertime and some upgrading work is necessary.

Most traffic to the Island actually travels on NB Rte 15 (Moncton to Port Elgin); where it then joins up to Rte. 16 (the TCH). This road also handles commuter traffic into and out of Moncton. This highway is already twinned between Moncton and Parlee Beach (at Shediac) and likely should be twinned as far as Cap Pele (a distance of about 40km). Beyond this, I can envisage putting in passing lanes to help with summer congestion but twinning would not be justifiable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

On a separate note, I drove along the new divided TCH in the Upper Saint John River Valley for the first time this week...... What an absolute delight!!!!

I was expecting something similar to the TCH between Moncton and Fredericton; which has been built through forested lands, avoiding nearby farmlands, and helps to convey the impression that New Brunswick is composed only of moose and muskeg.

The new segment however meanders through farmlands, past small towns and over ridges of the Appalachian Mountains with numerous scenic vistas to be had. It is actually much prettier than the old non-divided TCH route through the same area. The new highway is safe, secure and scenic. My hat off to the engineers!!!!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
The bridge carries about 4000 vehicles a day I believe.

Mind you thats averaging it out over a year (or whatever they base them off of) and more vehicles use it in the summer. I imagine most of the winter vehicles are commercial and intra-provincial buses.
Just to give some perspective, there are many, many roads and highways in Canada that are busier than that and have no plans to to get twinned. Northumberland County alone has 85 kilometres of 2 lane roads that are busier than the Confederation Bridge. That's just one county among dozens in the province, and a mostly rural one at that - I wager that number across Ontario would be in the thousands of kilometres.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
NB TCH Rte. 16 (Aulac to Confederation Bridge) will never be twinned. As Bedford DJ stated, there are no twinned highways on PEI and the Confederation Bridge itself is a two lane bottleneck.

That being said, traffic to PEI can be very heavy in the summertime and some upgrading work is necessary.

Most traffic to the Island actually travels on NB Rte 15 (Moncton to Port Elgin); where it then joins up to Rte. 16 (the TCH). This road also handles commuter traffic into and out of Moncton. This highway is already twinned between Moncton and Parlee Beach (at Shediac) and likely should be twinned as far as Cap Pele (a distance of about 40km). Beyond this, I can envisage putting in passing lanes to help with summer congestion but twinning would not be justifiable.
Yah Route 15 would defentiely be twinned long before the Highway to the Island is.

I think at the most upgrading the highway (but not twinning) with passing lanes or increasing the speed limit would be the most that will ever be done, and thats only between Port Elgin and the Bridge.

Here in Nova Scotia I know people who insteadof taking the 16 in its entirity will turn off at Amherst (or come via the Sunrise Trail) and take the back roads to Tidnish Bridge and get on the 16 at its junction with the 15.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 1:55 PM
Closed account

So I just came back from a trip to Newfoundland. With regard to twinning of the TCH in the east, NB is pretty close to completing it from Quebec to Nova Scotia, but they are still doing some bridge work near Moncton where it remains two lanes.

Quebec appears to be well on its way to twinning 185 to Riviere-du-Loup. There were large portions under construction when we drove through, and I suspect that it will be completed in the next few years.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 4:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

actually the TCH twinning in NB is complete (to within a couple of km of the PQ border).

That section near Moncton that you are talking about has been twinned for probably about 10 years. The bridges that you are referring to were original bridges that had been left in place at the time of twinning. They are now being replaced.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
So I just came back from a trip to Newfoundland. With regard to twinning of the TCH in the east, NB is pretty close to completing it from Quebec to Nova Scotia, but they are still doing some bridge work near Moncton where it remains two lanes.

Quebec appears to be well on its way to twinning 185 to Riviere-du-Loup. There were large portions under construction when we drove through, and I suspect that it will be completed in the next few years.
So if the 185 is completely twinned and presumably NB matches with it at the border how far could one theoritically get on twinned-only highways from Halifax/Moncton/SJ/Freddy?

Or in other words is the TCH completely twinned in PQ and/or Eastern ON?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 6:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Once the final work is done to the 185, you will be able to drive on an unbroken stretch of divided highway from Halifax to Windsor, Ontario.......a three day drive.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 2:01 AM
Closed account

Quote:

Once the final work is done to the 185, you will be able to drive on an unbroken stretch of divided highway from Halifax to Windsor, Ontario.......a three day drive.

Except the TCH doesn't follow the 401, nor 102. You would be able to drive from New Glasgow, NS to Arnprior, ON, a distance of 1461 km, and doable in a long day of driving.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 4:15 AM

I was looking on the government website and Nova Scotia has two twinning project on the 104 under way and one planned.

Location | Type | Cost | Year Started | Years U/C

HWY 104
Pine Tree Rd to Sutherlands River | Twinning | 27 | 2008 | 3
Antigonish (Phase 1) | New 4-lane highway | 60 | 2008 | 4
Antigonish (Phase 2) | New 4-lane highway | 60 | 2011 | 3

Pine Tree Rd to Sutherlands River is the section just east of New Glasgow currently is trunk highway with many intersections. Its approximately 12km long.

The Antigonish projects are bypasses around the town to avoid the stoplights and local traffic.

With the Sutherlands section complete the TCH will be twinned from the NB border to Exit 27A, two-lane freeway from Exit 27A to Exit 29, Trunk from Exit 29 to Glen Bard, 2-lane freeway near Exit 30, and Trunk until east of Exit 36A where it turns into 2-lane freeway and heads onto Cape Breton.

Last edited by Dmajackson; Jul 13, 2009 at 4:26 AM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 7:35 PM
I'm just joking.

Quote:

Yes, because nothing is more exciting than continuely driving on a freeway for 3 days without stopping to see the sights.

Gawd, did you guys not learn anything watching the movie CARS?!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
^ True, but you can get from Windsor to Halifax in two days if you go through Buffalo, Vermont, Maine, etc.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 12:47 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
^ True, but you can get from Windsor to Halifax in two days if you go through Buffalo, Vermont, Maine, etc.
Yes.........but then you would require a passport.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Yes.........but then you would require a passport.
Not if you have the driver's licence plus from Québec !

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 12:57 AM

Or Manitoba, or Ontario, or BC...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada