HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 2:31 PM

An OttawaU building from 3 angles, 2018 march 08.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 1:44 PM

Looking good (on the outside, anyway)! Now can we please do something about those tacky red-brick student res buildings (visible just to the left in the top photo)? Definition of 80s awfulness.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 3:13 PM

I love the envisioned high-rises for the River and Robinson Precincts!

https://www.uottawa.ca/facilities/master-plan/precincts

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 3:56 PM
inner city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
I love the envisioned high-rises for the River and Robinson Precincts!

https://www.uottawa.ca/facilities/master-plan/precincts
Me too, specifically hoping the pedestrian connection(s) from Lees Ave area to campus improve dramatically. Car-oriented pedestrian-assault urban planning needs to be ironed out in that area.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKellarDweller View Post
Me too, specifically hoping the pedestrian connection(s) from Lees Ave area to campus improve dramatically. Car-oriented pedestrian-assault urban planning needs to be ironed out in that area.
IIRC There is supposed to be a multi-use path following the LRT line from Lees to main campus.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureWickedCity View Post
Looking good (on the outside, anyway)! Now can we please do something about those tacky red-brick student res buildings (visible just to the left in the top photo)? Definition of 80s awfulness.
Hey, leave Brooks alone! It was a great (and cockroach-infested) place to get drunk in the early 2000's. The buildings themselves have good bones and the brick is nice, but do they still that awful round purple metal accents? Wouldn't take much to clean up those buildings and make them less offensive.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
Hey, leave Brooks alone! It was a great (and cockroach-infested) place to get drunk in the early 2000's. The buildings themselves have good bones and the brick is nice, but do they still that awful round purple metal accents? Wouldn't take much to clean up those buildings and make them less offensive.
They will only spend the minimum to keep Brooks going for now. They are slated to come down when they get around to redeveloping King Edward Av.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
I remember that early 2000's era when Brook's was THE place to have a room on campus. People used to offer a lot to get summer sublets in that place so they could stay on the next year.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureWickedCity View Post
Brooks is 90s, and is slated for the rubble pile in the near future.

Oh wait - no... what am I thinking of that was built in that area ca. 1991/92?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 7:59 PM

The U of O building space inventory puts Brooks at 1987.

https://www.uottawa.ca/facilities/si...-_space_en.pdf

It has been renovated a few times.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 1:50 PM

An OttawaU building from 3 angles, 2018 may 12.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 8:22 PM

That building is the Learning Crossroads building also known by the short form CRX.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 10:02 PM

More than a year ago uOttawa started a feasibility study concerning building a major new athletic facility.

The rumour is that the study was completed and that the project will proceed.
uOttawa will probably not say much about it until all their plans are in place. We are probably looking at five years before the facility is done.

Last edited by LeadingEdgeBoomer; Aug 21, 2018 at 11:37 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 6:30 PM

Reading the notes from the last uOttawa Board of Governors meeting.

It appears the Brooks Rez will be closing at the end of August.

It originally cost $23 million to build and would require $43 million in renos which is not happening. It will be demolished. It appears that the univeristy would like that block for Academic space but has not 100% decided that yet.

Also the Stanton and Marchand residences are due for replacement within 3-4 years. The university will need to have build a residence to replace them before they can start work on them.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
Reading the notes from the last uOttawa Board of Governors meeting.

It appears the Brooks Rez will be closing at the end of August.

It originally cost $23 million to build and would require $43 million in renos which is not happening. It will be demolished. It appears that the univeristy would like that block for Academic space but has not 100% decided that yet.

Also the Stanton and Marchand residences are due for replacement within 3-4 years. The university will need to have build a residence to replace them before they can start work on them.

Demolishing all three residences in the next three or four years would be costly and would plunge uOttawa back into a severe shortage of residence space. Since Brooks is already out of service , it might be logical to start building a new residence on that site immediately. After completion of a new Brooks,Stanton and Marchand could be demolished and replaced by academic buildings.

Future residence buildings might better be situated in the Mann Precinct or River Precinct (Lees) adjacent to the Lees LRT Station. Students living there could use their mandatory Upass to hop on board the LRT to go to uOttawa Station if they do not wish to walk.

uOttawa wants to build new athletic facilities on Mann. A building with new gyms and a swimming pool seem to be central to this plan. I can envision a podium containing these items with a residence tower or two on top of it. Perhaps a 3P.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 5:09 AM

From Urbsite, a little history of uOttawa's takeover of Sandy Hill from around 1930 to today and beyond. Fascinating read.

http://urbsite.blogspot.com/2018/10/...us-swells.html

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
From Urbsite, a little history of uOttawa's takeover of Sandy Hill from around 1930 to today and beyond. Fascinating read.

http://urbsite.blogspot.com/2018/10/...us-swells.html
This quote from uOttawa's president appeared in The Fulcrum on May1. Looking for more land.

Quote:
So we’re trying to do better. I’d love to do much, much better. We’re trying to secure land now to build substantive, big sporting and wellness places. So there’s lots of room to improve.
I am pretty sure that the land they are trying to secure is on Mann av. --across from the Minto Sport s Complex.

The Campus Master Plan will soon undergo a review, as it is supposed to be done every five years. It will probably be tweaked.

Since the current plan was adopted uOttawa has completed:
-The Alex Trebek Alumni Hall
-University Square
-The Learning Crossroads
-the Stem Building
-The Fine Arts Dept. space in Arts Court
-The Henderson Residence
-Opened four other residences that are public-private partnerships--Rideau, Friel, 45Mann,The Annex
-Opened a space at the Kanata North Tech Park
-The City has built LRT stations at uOttawa and Lees .

Brooks will soon be demolished. I do not think they will build on the site for quite a few years, so I am guessing that they will grass it over for now. I think that the next two major projects will be a Faculty of Health Sciences Building on Lees Av., and a new sport complex on Mann avenue. Exactly when and in what order is still unclear.

Last edited by LeadingEdgeBoomer; May 5, 2019 at 12:25 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 1:32 PM

Thanks for the summary! We can add the new THEO residence on the corner of Rideau and King Ed's opening next fall, conversion of one of the old DND buildings.

https://theoottawa.com/

Would the land across Mann be the Sandy Hill arena?

And where/how big is the space in Kanata North.

I'm looking forward to the development of the new Health Science Faculty and the Lees Campus. That could increase the O-Train ridership quite a bit between those two stations.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Thanks for the summary! We can add the new THEO residence on the corner of Rideau and King Ed's opening next fall, conversion of one of the old DND buildings.

https://theoottawa.com/

Would the land across Mann be the Sandy Hill arena?

And where/how big is the space in Kanata North.

I'm looking forward to the development of the new Health Science Faculty and the Lees Campus. That could increase the O-Train ridership quite a bit between those two stations.
Yes, Theo opens this year. The four privately owned residences that I mentioned are managed by uOttawa's Housing Service. It looks like the Gatineau based company that owns Theo is planning to manage Theo itself.

Yes. The Sandy Hill Arena occupies a key piece of land for uOttawa's proposed new facility. While the old single pad arena belongs to the City, the land beneath it is leased from the NCC. Lots of delicate and political negotiations for the university to get this land. It would not surprise me if the new uOttawa building contains a new ice pad to be shared with the City.

The uOttawa presence in Kanata North is in an existing building on Legget Drive. I do not know how large a space it occupies. It will be used to offer courses to existing employees in the companies in the Tech Park; serve as a center for the many uOttawa students that have Co-Op positions with companies in the Park; and facilitate liaison between uOttawa and companies when it comes to joint research and development projects.

As for the Lees Station: uOttawa students can use their mandatory uPass to shuttle between the Lees and Sandy Hill campuses. The station will service Gee-Gees Field*** and the Gee-Gees Winter Dome.

*** Gee-Gees Field will host the University National Championship for Women's Rugby this autumn.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 4:33 PM

Next few years should be interesting for the university's development. Thanks again!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues