HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 11:15 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

NCC Ottawa River South Shore Riverfront Park Plan [Kichi Zībī Mīkan] | In Progress

Proposed NCC policy aims to ‘put the park back into the parkway’

Scenic routes should not be viewed as commuter routes, planning chief says

By Don Butler, OTTAWA CITIZEN March 19, 2014 6:20 PM

OTTAWA — The National Capital Commission is developing a new policy for its scenic parkways that will give priority to accommodating pedestrians and cyclists rather than automobiles.

“The proposal is aiming for a shift in paradigm, putting the park back into the parkway,” Lucie Bureau, the NCC’s chief of planning and transportation, said Wednesday at a media briefing about the commission’s Capital Urban Lands Master Plan.

It’s not clear whether the new policy will have any impact on the thousands of commuters who rely on some of the parkways to get to and from work.

“Cars will continue to be on the parkway,” said Bureau, who called the NCC’s 120 kilometres of scenic roadways “one of the defining elements” of the capital region.

She said the parkways should not be viewed as commuter routes.

“What this policy is putting forward is putting more emphasis on the corridor rather than only on the roads.

“How can we provide more access for the whole community to those important shoreline lands which are part of the parkways, and provide more events, more activities?” she said.

Fred Gaspar, the acting vice-president of the NCC’s planning and environmental management branch, described the proposed new parkway police as an “aspirational.

“Hopefully, the public will receive quite warmly that we’re making it quite clear that our goal for the parkway is to emphasize the park element,” Gaspar said.

“That said, we’re mindful that we exist in an urban setting and it’s extremely important that all Canadians, residents and visitors alike, feel welcome in the parkway setting.”

One matter the parkway policy will likely have to address is the City of Ottawa’s request to run a portion of the western light rail transit line through land along the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway.

Gaspar said the NCC’s board has been “extremely clear” that it’s “not comfortable with the notion of a light rail train coming through the parkway.”

NCC officials and city staff “continue to talk” about the issue, but there have been no significant developments so far, he said.

However, the city has invited the NCC to participate in an environmental assessment of the Western LRT and had agreed to share all its data with the NCC, Gaspar said. That “will be extremely important towards arriving at any decisions.”

The NCC is holding public consultations on the new parkway policy and the proposed urban lands master plan. Online consultations began Monday and there will be public meetings in Ottawa and Gatineau later this month.

The urban lands plan, which has been in development for years, will provide policies and land-use designations for about 4,500 hectares of federally owned land inside the Greenbelt and in urban parts of Gatineau.

When completed next year, it will be the first master plan covering federally owned parkways, recreational pathways, river banks, employment areas such as Tunney’s Pasture and Confederation Heights and the Central Experimental Farm.

“We will have a policy document that will clearly state the long-term intentions of the NCC for all of those lands,” Bureau said.

dbutler@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/ButlerDon

Have your say:

The National Capital Commission is holding public consultations on its proposed Capital Urban Lands Master Plan and revised parkways policy. Here’s how you can participate:

Online: Until April 6, you can complete a questionnaire on the NCC’s website at http://fluidsurveys.com/s/capital-ur...-plan/langeng/

In person: The NCC is holding two bilingual public meetings. The first is at the Canadian Museum of History in Gatineau on March 25. The second is on March 26 at the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa. Both run from 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ot...549/story.html

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Proposed NCC policy aims to ‘put the park back into the parkway’

Scenic routes should not be viewed as commuter routes, planning chief says

By Don Butler, OTTAWA CITIZEN March 19, 2014 6:20 PM

OTTAWA — The National Capital Commission is developing a new policy for its scenic parkways that will give priority to accommodating pedestrians and cyclists rather than automobiles.

“The proposal is aiming for a shift in paradigm, putting the park back into the parkway,” Lucie Bureau, the NCC’s chief of planning and transportation, said Wednesday at a media briefing about the commission’s Capital Urban Lands Master Plan.

It’s not clear whether the new policy will have any impact on the thousands of commuters who rely on some of the parkways to get to and from work.

“Cars will continue to be on the parkway,” said Bureau, who called the NCC’s 120 kilometres of scenic roadways “one of the defining elements” of the capital region.

She said the parkways should not be viewed as commuter routes.

“What this policy is putting forward is putting more emphasis on the corridor rather than only on the roads.

“How can we provide more access for the whole community to those important shoreline lands which are part of the parkways, and provide more events, more activities?” she said.

Fred Gaspar, the acting vice-president of the NCC’s planning and environmental management branch, described the proposed new parkway police as an “aspirational.

“Hopefully, the public will receive quite warmly that we’re making it quite clear that our goal for the parkway is to emphasize the park element,” Gaspar said.

“That said, we’re mindful that we exist in an urban setting and it’s extremely important that all Canadians, residents and visitors alike, feel welcome in the parkway setting.”

One matter the parkway policy will likely have to address is the City of Ottawa’s request to run a portion of the western light rail transit line through land along the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway.

Gaspar said the NCC’s board has been “extremely clear” that it’s “not comfortable with the notion of a light rail train coming through the parkway.”

NCC officials and city staff “continue to talk” about the issue, but there have been no significant developments so far, he said.

However, the city has invited the NCC to participate in an environmental assessment of the Western LRT and had agreed to share all its data with the NCC, Gaspar said. That “will be extremely important towards arriving at any decisions.”

The NCC is holding public consultations on the new parkway policy and the proposed urban lands master plan. Online consultations began Monday and there will be public meetings in Ottawa and Gatineau later this month.

The urban lands plan, which has been in development for years, will provide policies and land-use designations for about 4,500 hectares of federally owned land inside the Greenbelt and in urban parts of Gatineau.

When completed next year, it will be the first master plan covering federally owned parkways, recreational pathways, river banks, employment areas such as Tunney’s Pasture and Confederation Heights and the Central Experimental Farm.

“We will have a policy document that will clearly state the long-term intentions of the NCC for all of those lands,” Bureau said.

dbutler@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/ButlerDon

Have your say:

The National Capital Commission is holding public consultations on its proposed Capital Urban Lands Master Plan and revised parkways policy. Here’s how you can participate:

Online: Until April 6, you can complete a questionnaire on the NCC’s website at http://fluidsurveys.com/s/capital-ur...-plan/langeng/

In person: The NCC is holding two bilingual public meetings. The first is at the Canadian Museum of History in Gatineau on March 25. The second is on March 26 at the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa. Both run from 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Guys this is our chance to make a real difference. Please fill out the survey and put these NCC schmucks in their place.

I complained vehemently about the NCC's continued stubborness over the LRT for example (amongst other things). Great venue to have your voice heard (I hope).

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 2:03 AM
Still optimistic

Definitely.I recommended that they start to do away with their Parkways, reclaiming them for recreational and community uses. I'd especially like to see this along the Canal: Col.By completely divides the space, making half of it completely useless. I would convert the roadway to a 4-season, well-lit cycleway (as indeed I think they should do everywhere) and use the space to its full potential: let organisations, communities and people use the lands for activities and small events; put up temporary pop-up exhibitions (like the musical swings in Montreal or the pianos in Vancouver) and just make NCC lands not only a place to play tourist once, but where every time, there's something new to explore!

For transit, as I've proposed before, I'd have them replace the Q.E.D with surface LRT to service Landsdowne and Carling. I also wished they'd back the frig down from the WLRT.

This is indeed an exciting opportunity for us to be heard. The questionnaire isn't long and I'm certain that we all waste far more time on things of far less consequence, so why don't we make those 3 minutes count?

I

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 3:19 AM

Just did the survey. Holy crap. What a monumental piece of garbage.

With all the public opinion survey expertise in very political town, this is the best they could come up with?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 3:25 AM

Oh, I have an idea!!! Let the City build its ORT line on the Ottawa River Parkway where the CP line use to run so they can then, you know, build more pedestrian accesses crossing the roadway.

What? It was already suggested by the City and rejected by the NCC? Is that right? Then WTF!?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Oh, I have an idea!!! Let the City build its ORT line on the Ottawa River Parkway where the CP line use to run so they can then, you know, build more pedestrian accesses crossing the roadway.

What? It was already suggested by the City and rejected by the NCC? Is that right? Then WTF!?
Did you fill out Form 26/Formule 26: Idea Permit / Permis d'idée?

Until you have filled out this form and submitted it to the Ideas Division, please refrain from posting any more about your "idea".

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Just did the survey. Holy crap. What a monumental piece of garbage.

With all the public opinion survey expertise in very political town, this is the best they could come up with?
You're right, that was horse shit!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 4:02 AM

Ugh - well, I gave my feedback (calling for Western Parkway LRT), but the rest was Grade 'A' BS.

I especially loved this. So poetic. Such word smithing. Much happiness:

"Contribute to regional viability through interaction of the federal presence with the overall context and through the support of sustainable and active mobility."

OH BABY - SET MY HEART ON FIRE!!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Ugh - well, I gave my feedback (calling for Western Parkway LRT), but the rest was Grade 'A' BS.

"Contribute to regional viability through interaction of the federal presence with the overall context and through the support of sustainable and active mobility."

Even John B. McBureaucrat, whose middle name is Bureaucrat, who is CCC trilingual in English, French, and Bureaucrat, whose daddy was a bureaucrat like his daddy before him, would be embarrassed by this.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 4:41 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFromOttawa View Post
Guys this is our chance to make a real difference. Please fill out the survey and put these NCC schmucks in their place.

I complained vehemently about the NCC's continued stubborness over the LRT for example (amongst other things). Great venue to have your voice heard (I hope).
This is an after-the-fact attempt to provide a rationale for their stance on the WLRT.

It no doubt finally dawned on someone in the NCC bureaucracy that it was a tad hypocritical to oppose the WLRT on grounds that it is for "commuters" and that it will compromise "access" when the SJAM Parkway is itself a commuter expressway and barrier to that very access, which NCC policy heretofore has been to increase, not decrease.

Anyway, I do intend to fill out the survey, but I think I'll copy every sentence and bullet point in it and hopefully fire a bunch of it back at them.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 2:03 PM

Wow, just did it as well. There was so much lingo/jargon/flower-power language in there that my head is spinning! I didn't understand most of the questions! Did anyone who doesn't work for the NCC review the survey for clarity?!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 5:08 PM
National Capital Region

Reevely: The NCC’s survey on its land uses: terrible, horrible, or worst-ever?
http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2014/...medium=twitter

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 5:08 PM

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 5:22 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Reevely: The NCC’s survey on its land uses: terrible, horrible, or worst-ever?

The NCC’s survey on its land uses: terrible, horrible, or worst-ever?

Posted by: David Reevely
March 20, 2014. 11:19 am • Section: City Hall

The National Capital Commission wants to know what you think about its long-term plans for its “capital urban lands,” properties under federal control in Ottawa and Gatineau. That includes everything from Parliament Hill to Tunney’s Pasture to the parkways to the Experimental Farm to Leamy Lake, inside the Greenbelt. It is holding public meetings on the subject, or you can fill out this online survey.

Though if you can get through that survey, you’re a better person than I am. It’s a combination of questions asking you to agree with motherhood statements and asking for your input on profoundly fine-grained subjects that you only get 500 characters — not words, characters — to say your piece on.

For instance, do you agree with the NCC’s proposal that its urban planning should be driven by three principles:
  1. Contact with nature
  2. Expression and experience
  3. Urban and regional viability?

You’re invited to agree or disagree with each of those three. You don’t get to choose three from a list of six or anything, just approve or reject the ideas of nature, culture and “viability” as things that are important.

Could you disagree with any of them? And if you can’t, what use are they in determining how the NCC actually behaves? Which is the one that says the city can’t run a light-rail line along the edge of an NCC road?

Here is a map of the NCC’s designations for its urban lands.

What do you think of these designations? You have 500 characters.

The meanings of these 10 designations are spelled out in a 120-page report. Read the report and then indicate whether you agree or disagree with the plans for each of these designations. Do you have further comments? You have 500 characters.

Easily the worst segment asks you to rank a number of characteristics of parkways, in order of importance to you. They seem to be the results of some sort of free-association exercise:
  • Scenic
  • Cultural
  • Recreational
  • Archeological
  • Heritage
  • Natural
  • Mobility
  • Other

What, please, is the distinction between “cultural” and “heritage”? In fact all of the first six of those words seem to occupy much the same intellectual space, with occasional little outcroppings of unique meaning here and there.

And then what’s your vision for the future of the capital’s parkways? We’ve written a 24-page draft policy book whose key section has 52 bullet points; you have 500 characters.

The second of those 52 bullet-point policies about parkways goes like this:

Quote:
In the context of sustainable mobility, while recognizing commuter use by automobile, it is not the primary obligation of parkways to accommodate regional commuting demands and not be considered as part of the local transportation network through unilateral designation by local municipal official plans for transportation or transit purposes.
That’s 343 characters, by the way. Three hundreds and forty three characters of rebuke to the city government’s transit plans, the dead giveaway that the point of this whole exercise is to provide a simulacrum of popular support for what the NCC wants to do already, like a Crimean referendum question.

Finally, it seems like little enough to ask, reading the documents, that an institution so concerned with its role in preserving the capital’s federal features for all Canadians would know how to spell them. The NCC doesn’t know how to spell the name of our first prime minister, consistently capitalizing the “d” in “Macdonald” and wrongly referring to “Queen Elisabeth Drive.” It’s really hard to argue convincingly that you care more than anyone else about the capital and Canada’s heritage when you’re that slipshod about such easy details.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 5:23 PM

All of the above!

I grit and clenched my way through it so I could give my 3-tweet-sized two cents at the end:

"Safe crossings at all logical points (Main St; 5th-Clegg; Bank St; Bronson Ave; Hartwell Locks; Arboretum; etc.). Transit on the urban parkways (start with buses on Queen Elizabeth, graduate to French-style Tramways without overhead wires). Rationalized speed limits (60 is inappropriately fast on Queen Elizabeth/ColBy; inappropriately slow on SirJohnA). Bike lanes on the parkways for higher speed active commuting."

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc View Post
all of the above!

I grit and clenched my way through it so i could give my 3-tweet-sized two cents at the end:

"safe crossings at all logical points (main st; 5th-clegg; bank st; bronson ave; hartwell locks; arboretum; etc.). Transit on the urban parkways (start with buses on queen elizabeth, graduate to french-style tramways without overhead wires). Rationalized speed limits (60 is inappropriately fast on queen elizabeth/colby; inappropriately slow on sirjohna). Bike lanes on the parkways for higher speed active commuting."
rt rt rt

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 6:57 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Even John B. McBureaucrat, whose middle name is Bureaucrat, who is CCC trilingual in English, French, and Bureaucrat, whose daddy was a bureaucrat like his daddy before him, would be embarrassed by this.
Can't blame bad translation, either, as the French version is just as bad:

"Contribuer à la viabilité régionale par la présence fédérale et son interaction au contexte d’ensemble et favoriser la mobilité durable et active."

Et voilà.

There must be a prize out there somewhere for bureaucratese that makes no sense in either official language ("The Jean Chrétien Award for Mangled Bilingual Bureaucratic Prose").

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
[B]Proposed NCC policy aims to ‘put the park back into the parkway’

My favorite part... FOR ALL CANADIANS!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
All of the above!

I grit and clenched my way through it so I could give my 3-tweet-sized two cents at the end:

"Safe crossings at all logical points (Main St; 5th-Clegg; Bank St; Bronson Ave; Hartwell Locks; Arboretum; etc.). Transit on the urban parkways (start with buses on Queen Elizabeth, graduate to French-style Tramways without overhead wires). Rationalized speed limits (60 is inappropriately fast on Queen Elizabeth/ColBy; inappropriately slow on SirJohnA). Bike lanes on the parkways for higher speed active commuting."
Agreed it should be 50 km/h, or even 40 km/h, on Colonel By and Queen Elizabeth, while it should be 80 km/h on Sir John A. Macdonald.

As for the "all Canadians" part, foreign visitors are ignored if you want other Canadians to count? Otherwise it should be first focused on the local and area's residents.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
There must be a prize out there somewhere for bureaucratese that makes no sense in either official language ("The Jean Chrétien Award for Mangled Bilingual Bureaucratic Prose").
Even Jean Chretien's strangulation of both official languages was, in a way, endearing, not unlike 'Archie Bunkerisms' on All In The Family.

This survey, however.....this....survey......

I just.....

Can't.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues