HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 3:51 PM

Who is the councilor for that area?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
As I said earlier, no sidewalk is planned on Limebank between Earl Armstrong and the transit station. Maybe they will build something as development occurs, but it is shocking that there is no sidewalk from day one when the station opens. I was there yesterday, and as it stands, you have to walk in a traffic lane in winter, not much different from in my neighbourhood, where I regularly see people walking in Bank Street traffic lanes because there is no other place for pedestrians. In situations such as this, it takes a fatality before there is city action.
Priority was empty parking lots at the empty field stations, not people would might actually walk to the station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
Who is the councilor for that area?
Steve Desroches. He was Councillor for two terms 2006-2014. When first elected, he promised he would only serve two terms. He kept that promise, until he didn't when he ran in 2022.

https://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/mayor...-findlay-creek

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalmuffins View Post
Honestly both those lots are so stupid. It is such a wasted opportunity.
What did we expect? The original plan brought LRT within walking distance of most local residents. Instead, we chose regional trains that are mostly good only for commuting. So, by default, transit is not an option for local trips. For the vast majority of locals, this means shopping trips must be by car.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Priority was empty parking lots at the empty field stations, not people would might actually walk to the station.

Steve Desroches. He was Councillor for two terms 2006-2014. When first elected, he promised he would only serve two terms. He kept that promise, until he didn't when he ran in 2022.

Don't bring up that name please. I am not a happy camper.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Don't bring up that name please. I am not a happy camper.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 1:33 AM

Quote:
I used to be sympathetic to suburban rail expansion. Shit like this is radicalizing me against all future rail extensions into the burbs. If this is what they are going to build along a literal billion dollar rail line, what's the point?

Quote:

Can't blame him for taking advantage of constituents who are so willing to roll over for name recognition.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 1:44 AM

Quote:
As I said earlier, no sidewalk is planned on Limebank between Earl Armstrong and the transit station. Maybe they will build something as development occurs, but it is shocking that there is no sidewalk from day one when the station opens. I was there yesterday, and as it stands, you have to walk in a traffic lane in winter, not much different from in my neighbourhood, where I regularly see people walking in Bank Street traffic lanes because there is no other place for pedestrians. In situations such as this, it takes a fatality before there is city action.
While I definetly agree that it should have sidewalks from the get go, there will be a sidewalk and multi use path on main street that runs parallel to Limebank up to Earl Armstrong that will connect to the station, so the two most likely devolopments to start construction soon will be connected from day one. (Not that I like these devolopment styles!).

From a recent secondary plan meeting the city showed off that there is a future application for the south west corner, the one immediately adjancent to the site. The city will likely require this devoloper build that Limebank sidewalk, and the other one for the south east corner will build that sidewalk.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 1:43 PM

City had a presentation on the 3D Digital Twi project at the Planning and Housing Committee last week. Starts at 29:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16pK...dex=13&t=1391s

Presentation:

https://pub-ottawa.escribemeetings.c...umentId=164249

Amongst other things, this will have models of of completed secondary plans and proposals on a digital 3D version of Ottawa. Hope this will be part of GeoOttawa.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 2:11 AM

La porte est grande ouverte pour réduire le nombre de stationnements à Gatineau
Par Mathieu BĂ©langer, Le Droit
16 février 2024 à 16h57

La revendication d’abolir le seuil minimal d’espaces de stationnement dans les nouveaux immeubles faite jeudi par de nombreux acteurs de l’industrie de la construction, de la communauté d’affaires et des groupes environnementalistes semble avoir trouvé plusieurs oreilles attentives au conseil municipal de Gatineau.

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/a...K4X74IJRQ75BM/

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 2:48 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Calls grow to axe minimum parking rules for housing projects
City councillor expects draft zoning bylaw this year will propose a cut

Arthur White-Crummey · CBC News
Posted: Feb 21, 2024 6:21 AM EST | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

When towers come up for debate at Ottawa city council's planning and housing committee, talk often turns to parking.

Developers come with projects that offer fewer parking spaces than housing units, then neighbours worry all those extra cars will spill onto quiet residential streets, turning their communities into parking lots.

As the city works on a new zoning bylaw, there's a growing consensus that it should further relax parking rules to allow developers to build even fewer parking spots — or perhaps none at all.

"The parking minimum makes for more expensive housing," said Coun. Jeff Leiper, who chairs the planning and housing committee.

"It is counter to the trends of reduced car ownership. It is counter to the trends of younger people not getting cars at all. It is counter to … our thrust to try to increase reliance on public transit."

Under the current bylaw, the city rules require apartment buildings to offer at least 1.2 parking spots for every housing unit in the outer suburbs such as Barrhaven, Orléans and Kanata.

<more>

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ects-1.7120400

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 7:58 PM

No parking in the burbs is never going to happen, you wouldn't be able to market a project. Downtown, way less parking is being built compared to 10 years ago and seems to be going in the right direction... Jeff is just pandering to the anti car crowd.

the culture war around cars aside, our transit sucks. Fix that and maybe Ottawans won't drive.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelltime View Post
No parking in the burbs is never going to happen, you wouldn't be able to market a project. Downtown, way less parking is being built compared to 10 years ago and seems to be going in the right direction... Jeff is just pandering to the anti car crowd.
Then why are so many developers asking for derogations or building exactly at the minimum? Parking minimums are to force developers to provide more parking than they would otherwise. If you don't think they matter than it's just good policy to remove them, not pandering.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 2:38 AM

I feel Ottawa is moving to the same stage Vancouver was in the early 2000s development and built urban infrastructure wise

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelnoz View Post
Then why are so many developers asking for derogations or building exactly at the minimum? Parking minimums are to force developers to provide more parking than they would otherwise. If you don't think they matter than it's just good policy to remove them, not pandering.
Because minimum parking in the suburbs is 1.2 + visitor which is a lot of parking. I just saying no parking at all won't happen. I can't see anything below 70% working.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Because minimum parking in the suburbs is 1.2 + visitor which is a lot of parking. I just saying no parking at all won't happen. I can't see anything below 70% working.
Then remove the limit and see what happens... it would be disingenuous for him to just pick a random number out of the wind, like we're currently doing.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 10:52 PM

Quote:
So you'd rather he pandered to you with some random made up number of how many parking spots each dev needs.....

2nd if he was pandering to the anti-car crowd , he would have suggested a parking maximum.

So how about we go with the solution of letting the Dev decide what parking quantity is required, as there the ones that have to deal with selling/renting the units.

P.S if your response is this will just cause on-street parking, then paid parking can be introduced like in the urban areas. (also don't make me defend the Hypocrite Leiper)

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 3:19 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 3:19 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Why is the City of Ottawa throwing a $22-million tax giveaway at seven developments?
City councillors indulge in the fantasy that they have their hands on economic levers when in reality their hands are in your pockets.

Randall Denley, Ottawa Citizen
Published Apr 23, 2024 • 3 minute read

To combat the housing shortfall, the federal and Ontario governments have delivered a dizzying and ever-changing array of policies, new rules and pots of money, all intended to make housing plentiful and affordable.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford would have you believe that his plans and financial supports will increase the pace of building in the province by 50 per cent over historical norms. So far, there has been limited progress. Not to be outdone, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says his latest plan will double the pace of housing construction. He likes to call it “ambitious.”

All this activity, especially on the federal side with its incentives for both builders and buyers, has moved housing from a market-driven private sector activity to something closer to a social program.

Given all of that, one might have thought the City of Ottawa wouldn’t need to throw tax dollars at developers. And yet, last week councillors approved the giveaway of $22,369,800 to encourage the development of just seven projects.

They include four apartment towers on Lees Avenue, a hotel and apartment tower on York Street, a rental apartment tower adjacent to the Rideau Centre, townhouses in Vanier, a 23-storey condo tower on Somerset Street West, an unspecified project on Clyde Avenue, and a two-tower residential proposal on Carling Avenue.

The money is granted through the city’s brownfields development program, which is intended to encourage development on unused commercial or industrial land, particularly where there is soil contamination.

Like most politicians, Ottawa’s councillors like to indulge in the fantasy that they have their hands on economic levers, when in reality their hands are in your pockets.

Perhaps they convinced themselves otherwise, since the brownfields program is paid for with the magic of “property tax uplift.” The city reduces taxes temporarily on new brownfield development on the grounds that there would have been no additional property taxes without the development. Everyone wins.

It’s a plausible argument, until one considers that the same might be said of every housing or commercial development in the city. They all increase taxes, but they don’t all get the tax break.

The question councillors should have asked themselves was which of these projects wouldn’t go ahead without help from taxpayers. They might have learned a lesson from their experience with a hotel company that said it wouldn’t build at the Ottawa International Airport without a tax incentive. Councillors said no. The hotel is going ahead anyway.

Some will remember that Mayor Mark Sutcliffe, when a candidate, opposed these kinds of tax giveaways and promised to examine the policy. Turns out, most councillors like the giveaways better than the mayor does.

In an interview, Sutcliffe said that there was not enough support on council to eliminate the grants completely, so he supported a compromise. New rules council passed last week will limit the brownfield handouts to no more than $3 million a project, although up to $5 million would be available if there was an affordable housing element. At the same meeting, councillors approved the more than $22 million in brownfield grants on the grounds that the proposals were submitted under the old rules.

While wasting less money is always preferable to wasting more, reducing the size of the grant weakens the argument that the projects wouldn’t proceed without city help. It’s unlikely that a significant development project’s future will be determined by a few million dollars from property tax payers. If the developer’s financial plan is that shaky, he’d be best advised not to go ahead.

If the City of Ottawa wants to help those seeking housing, it could stop looking for fussy, bureaucratic reasons to slow projects down and start saying yes more quickly. That would make things easier for buyers and builders. In the end, though, the housing industry will only build as many units as buyers can afford, no matter how much largesse they get from all levels of government.

Randall Denley is an Ottawa journalist and author. Contact him at randalldenley1@gmail.com

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/co...n-developments

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 4:02 PM

I thought they paused the brownfield grants.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 5:09 PM

Quote:
I thought they paused the brownfield grants.
Not anymore!

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/co...n-developments

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues