HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 4:46 AM

On a different note, here's the latest activity on the Liberty Sky site. The ground looks like it's been completely dug up at this point.

I really want to get more pictures of Tower 8 construction, but it's hard to get a good picture with the fencing.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I do recall that they are doing something for State Street south of 6th south, but I am more concerned about how it is currently in the CBD.

Regarding the 5th & 6th south off and on-ramp boulevards. Check out pages 112-114 (particularly page 114) on their plans for that area. They are planning on burying all the power lines, removing all billboards, and splitting up the road into sections of tree lined landscaping. This should be priority #1, in my opinion. This is the first impression of entering the city from the freeway.
http://www.slcdocs.com/Planning/Mast...s/Downtown.pdf
I agree with you a thousand percent Orlando. That should be one of the first priorities of redevelopment and beautification. I've been wishing for that 600 S. upgrade for years, especially the burying of those big utility lines. I'm glad they're finally starting to develop the many underutilized lots along the way between Rio Grande and State. Bob is right about the damn billboards. If anyone knows any type of ruling that they must come down after leases expire then please let us know.

Still, I'm interested in knowing if they've started the improvements which have already been approved and funded along State St. Why they chose a section of State further south than say more north in the heart of the CBD I don't know. Perhaps it has something to do with all of the major development that's coming on the sides of State St. along the northern blocks. Those blocks between South Temple and 500 South could be pretty torn up the next 2 to 3 years. Doing a major landscaping, curb and median upgrade in those areas could result in having them only torn up soon after for any number of access and design requirements.

Thinking about it even further I'm reminded of how many times the CBD hearts of Main St. and South Temple have been upgraded only to have to be torn apart and redone not too many years later. Main St. has had sooo many major facelifts that it makes me wonder if I should cringe or get excited every time they announce a major street upgrade. I mean millions are spent only to be partially thrown away and spent again. That said, Downtown Salt Lakes Main St. is one of the prettiest sections of streetscape I've seen anywhere in the U.S., and it's only going to get even more activated over the next five to ten years.

Just when you think they've finished reimagining Temple Square and it's surrounding blocks, they come up with even more grandiose upgrades. I mean this as a compliment, but I already thought Temple Sq. and it's surrounding campus was about as gorgeous as possible. I hope they will soon take some of that superb urbanscape development and apply it to those parking lots to the West. All said, when Salt Lake City's State St., W. Temple, 300 W., 4th, 5th and 6th South etc.begin to look like the heart of the Main St. and South Temple blocks then Downtown Salt Lake City will be in a rarified league among the 50 largest metros.

Last edited by delts145; Sep 29, 2019 at 12:30 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 6:47 PM

The Brixton looks like it's getting close to completion, 700 E @ Wilmington

Last edited by SLCLvr; Sep 29, 2019 at 7:13 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 3:44 AM

Also, The Morton looks close to completion. Or at least they have a big sign now haha!

https://imgur.com/7B8X3kg

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 3:06 PM
of SLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC PopPunk View Post
Also, The Morton looks close to completion. Or at least they have a big sign now haha!

https://imgur.com/7B8X3kg

I had to tilt my head to read it. I don't like the way that looks.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 4:53 PM
Engineer

There is some movement on the site of Lowe's Dixon Place. Parking is closed and excavation equipment on site. So maybe there is hope for their proposed projects?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 10:50 PM

Remind me what the Dixon project is please?

Thanks

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
Remind me what the Dixon project is please?

Thanks
Changed names along the way

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/com...e-development/

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:04 AM

Been a while since we've had any photo updates for Tower 8. I was able to sneak this a couple of days ago:

Also, I live down the street from this development at 500 East and 1300 South. I couldn't for the life of me recall what it was, but a little bit of research on Building Salt Lake turned up this project, which looks like it's going to be a good asset for the area. I think it wasn't too long ago when we talked about how the area around Liberty Park needs more mixed-use areas.
https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/dem...e-development/

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 9:42 AM

Thanks Bob. I was beginning to wonder when we'd get and update on Tower 8.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCLvr View Post
Actually, this is the correct project: Sugar Alley

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Been a while since we've had any photo updates for Tower 8. I was able to sneak this a couple of days ago:

Also, I live down the street from this development at 500 East and 1300 South. I couldn't for the life of me recall what it was, but a little bit of research on Building Salt Lake turned up this project, which looks like it's going to be a good asset for the area. I think it wasn't too long ago when we talked about how the area around Liberty Park needs more mixed-use areas.
https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/dem...e-development/
That's a great location for some mixed-use residential with retail/restaurant/coffee shop stuff. We need more of that around Liberty Park.

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/com...lls-mixed-use/

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:22 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Actually, this is the correct project: Sugar Alley

The one SLCLvr posted was the correct one (Dixon Place, formerly Fairmont). Sugar Alley won't be underway for a while I'm guessing. The Sugar Alley lot used to be the site of the Dixon office building proposal or something. Add to that the building under construction between these two proposal sites is called Sugarmont and it gets kinda confusing.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:42 PM
Engineer

There's been an interesting building permit application. Just another multifamily housing project but it's at 702 S Main Street, which is the location of Specialized Sales & Leasing. So finally one of those car dealerships on the south end of downtown is biting the dust.

Seven O2 Apartments, 241 Units. No idea who the developer is.

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 7:40 PM

Awesome. That's a pretty big one, too. 241 apartments. Glad to see any of those low-rise commercial uses go.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
The one SLCLvr posted was the correct one (Dixon Place, formerly Fairmont). Sugar Alley won't be underway for a while I'm guessing. The Sugar Alley lot used to be the site of the Dixon office building proposal or something. Add to that the building under construction between these two proposal sites is called Sugarmont and it gets kinda confusing.
You are correct. My bad.

Btw, on Google Earth, it does look like the Sugar Alley site is prepped. All buildings demolished and it is fenced off.

Last edited by Orlando; Oct 2, 2019 at 9:39 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 4:56 AM

Speaking of multi family projects. I got a notice in the mail about a week or two ago, about another wood on concrete project on 200 W just north of 400 south. It looks like it would wrap around the building where Simply Sushi is. I can't remember how many floors but I remember it would be over 75 feet.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
Speaking of multi family projects. I got a notice in the mail about a week or two ago, about another wood on concrete project on 200 W just north of 400 south. It looks like it would wrap around the building where Simply Sushi is. I can't remember how many floors but I remember it would be over 75 feet.
Any renderings or drawings to share?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 11:54 PM
One Thing At A Time

Liberty Sky has crews working every day on site. Two towers rising on state street at the same time! Any work on when the CCH starts work?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 12:43 AM

From the Planning Commission, voluminous information on Edison House, the proposed new social club on the east side of the 300 south block of 200 West. Interestingly they say they do not need to take on any debt to finance the facility. Bubba Holdings is owned by the Cardons who I am not familiar with but they have a decent sized foundation. http://www.slcdocs.com/Planning/Plan...19/00671SR.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West