HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 28, 2006, 9:41 PM
Karma Police

Architecture firms, similar to the arts community, are very gay-friendly, to the point it's really a non-issue (which is how it should be anyway).

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 1:31 AM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smoke View Post
I was trying to figure out where y'all fit. I think we all know the culture of development and construction, and particularly being from Texas I was surprised that maybe half of the members in this forum are gay.
I'm from San Antonio, and I can tell you that I am not surprised in the least.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 5:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smoke View Post

...I am a Leftist developer...

For general labor though, I try and hire from AA programs, the Native American community, and halfway houses. Regular vanilla subs are so difficult and expen$ive. Hm, maybe GLBT subs would be expensive...
I can't help but wonder, as a "leftist developer" why you don't pay prevailing wages so the people you empoy can earn a "living wage". Prevailing wages are quite a bit higher than "vanilla subs" so they or GLBT subs should not really be too expensive.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 5:21 PM

Last edited by Dr. Smoke; Jan 3, 2007 at 8:05 PM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 5:35 PM
BANNED

How are you so sure?

Do you pay your workers prevailing wages? Do you even pay the going rate for regular "vanilla" subs? If not, how are you really a "leftist developer"? How are you different from NIKE paying low wages in third world countries? Aren't you just lining your greedy pockets on the backs of members of "AA programs, the Native American community, and halfway houses"?

Do you believe that the prevailing wage law should be repealed?

Are all of your subs licensed and propertly insured for the work they do on your projects? Do you and your subs have enough insurance to protect people that buy your products for the entire 10 year statute of ultimate repose?

People who live in glass houses....

Last edited by Urbanpdx; Jan 3, 2007 at 12:18 AM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 5:38 PM

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 5:41 PM
BANNED

By not answering the question can we all assume the answers are all yes?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 7:59 PM

Chill out everyone, no need to be so damned accusatory.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 9:26 AM
Kicking a** since 1907

It's a good point. If smokie wants to show how liberal and compassionate he is, he should pay his druggie employees a living wage in hopes they could pull themselves out of the halfway house.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 2:44 PM

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 4:32 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 4:56 PM

Last edited by Dr. Smoke; Jan 3, 2007 at 8:02 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 7:08 PM

What a disappointment. Everytime I bring up this thread to read more about the evolution of Stark St. the postings have nothing to do with it! The Ace is supposed to open this month I heard. I know that Stumptown and a Jewish deli are opening in their retail area. But the old Scandals spot still seems to have a for lease sign up, so maybe we can get another gay bar or lounge down there to make up for the departures.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 7:32 PM

I thought Stumptown was going to take the old Scandals spot....I agree with your observations about this thread. Let's hope it get back to the topic... these "other discussions" have become tiring.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 8:23 PM
Criss Crosser of Country

I'm so happy to hear a Jewish deli is opening in the Ace Hotel. Hopefully it'll be a bit more like my favorite spots back east, but even a deli more closely resembling Kornblatt's is greatly welcomed!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 11:37 PM
BANNED

I too hope for a great deli. Kornblatt's, imho, hasn't been the same since the origional owner sold several years ago. Lucky we can get so much great deli food via fed ex. Actually, I just got a delivery of H&H bagles, I swear they are still warm!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 12:10 AM

A deli for that neighborhood will be great..

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 12:15 AM
BANNED

Actually, it would be nice if several reasonably priced, locally owned, restaurants found a home in that area. They could feed off of Pearl escapees and locals. Places like Nicholas', Pak Pak, Miso Happy, Halibuts, varios Pho and Vietnamese sandwich joints, taquerias, etc.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 12:21 AM

Speaking of gayborhoods The Eagle in Seattle has a brand spanking new Victrola Coffee (with roasting plant) next store now. Victrola's great but it does seem like the coffee places and condos are taking over Pike/Pine.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 1:06 AM

Is it a part of the Eagle? I saw the construction going on while living there but I understood it was just an expansion of the Eagle. So I take it that they are entirely two separate establishments or should I wear leather chaps when I order my latte'?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues