HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 4:20 PM

Portland and burbs best balanced in the nation

Portland, suburbs both remain stable
Thursday, December 14, 2006
By Kimberly A.C. Wilson
The Oregonian

Authors of a new study about race and urban revival dub Portland and its suburbs "the best balanced" in the nation.

The study shows that most U.S. cities are making a comeback because of an influx of well-off non-Hispanic whites. But few cities are ringed with equally strong suburbs the way Portland is, according to William H. Lucy and David L. Phillips, University of Virginia urban-planning professors, who analyzed U.S. Census data on 40 cities from 2000 to 2005.

"For most of the period since World War II, cities on average have been declining," Lucy said. "But Portland has been a relatively strong city for a long time, and it is doing as well as its suburbs. Having that balance is an appropriate goal, but finding it . . . that's unusual."

Here's why, the study's authors say: Portland was one of only six cities to see a jump in per capita income among African Americans. It also remains one of the whitest cities. And while median family incomes have declined in cities compared with metropolitan areas -- think Phoenix or Buffalo -- they have steadily grown here.

Put another way: While most cities are getting poorer compared with their suburbs, our burbs and city are stable.

Coupled with rising housing values and condominium construction, the trajectory points up for the City of Roses.

The conclusion is not exactly news to local planning scholars.

"It seems to be saying the economic prospects of the people in the city and the suburbs is pretty much the same," says Ethan Seltzer, director of Portland State University's School of Urban Studies and Planning, "and any historic difference is flattening."

"That makes the notion that the city is simply becoming the playground for the rich a vast, vast overstatement."

The study's results seem to dovetail with a report released last week by the Brookings Institution, a Washington think tank. That report found that while the number of poor people living in 100 cities in 1999 was roughly even with the number living in suburbs, suburban poor outnumbered their urban counterparts by about 1.2 million in 2005.

Portland and its 32 suburbs may have dodged that fate -- for now. But Karen J. Gibson, an assistant professor of urban studies and planning at PSU, said there's a measurable exodus of the poor from inner North and Northeast Portland for cheaper suburbs in the wake of intensive redevelopment and demand for central city land.

In a word, Gibson said, "gentrification."

"Sure we stand out, but what are we saying here?"

Kimberly Wilson: 503-412-7017; kimberlywilson@news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/o...370.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 7:03 PM
TEH KING

I guess Portland's two black people don't want to live near eachother.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 7:31 PM

Northeast Portland looks like Harlem compared to any neighborhood in Seattle.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 8:45 PM

^um, okay...whatever...keep smoking from your pipe...

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 9:05 PM
Exit 298

Actually, I lived in Irvington a few years back, and it's very black.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 9:15 PM

I lived in North Portland a few years back too, drive through it today and you wouldn't recognize much of what was there previously. The Columbia Villa slum is gone and replaced with the spectacular New Columbia. PCC Cascade bought several blocks and expanded, cleaning up Killingsworth and Alberta. Mississippi took off, Alberta is booming. MLK has several infill projects and the improved streetscape projects by the PDC are completed, old buildings are torn down and fenced properties wait for the next development. The Max Yellow line brought private investment, the Freddies was torn down and replaced, the other Freddies in North is also undergoing a transformation. New Season built a store and moved their HQ there. Downtown St. Johns has a great new pub and movie house with restaurants and bars (the nicer variety) ringing what was a dead zone. There is also more infill proposed and under construction than the much desired Hawthorne-Belmont track.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 9:24 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle rock View Post
Northeast Portland looks like Harlem compared to any neighborhood in Seattle.
You're obviously delusional. Or you've never been to Harlem. Which is it?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 9:31 PM

Ok what I am saying is that compared to Seattle Northeast Portland is now and has allways been alot more of a cohesive, culturally vibrant african american community then Seattle has ever had. Obviously compared to almost any other major american cities both Seattle and Portland have a microscopic african american populations. But saying that Portland has "2 black people" is dismissing the huge impact the black community has had on Portland.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 9:56 PM

my apologies, Eagle Rock, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were comparing the housing projects and slums of Harlem to Portland's neighborhoods...

I don't know much about Seattle's black community so I can't comment that Portland's is stronger or weaker. However, I have noticed as more people move into N and NE Portland, I see less and less of a mix. While it's possible that the infill is adding density, with a majority of new residents being white, it does appear that blacks are leaving North yet don't seem to be recongregating in any other neighborhood in the Portland area. I too hope Portland doesn't loose the community feeling that I agree, does exist in North and Northeast.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 9:57 PM

I lived for a year on 7th and Failing. Sure, its not Harlem, but at least half of the people in the neighborhood were african american. If you cross MLK the neighborhood is even more black, at least up until you hit Mississippi ave. I think there is also a growing population of ethopians and somalis that live in and around MLK.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 10:07 PM

bgwah: your comment is offensive, especially coming from someone who lives in the Sammamish area of Puget Sound.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues