HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 9:32 PM
Karma Police

Are they trying to copy Next Portland? Why don't they just provide a link to that instead of reinventing the wheel?

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 11:26 PM

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 8, 2016, 11:35 PM

Metro multifamily market cooling off

Quote:
After a scorching run of apartment construction, exploding rents and nearly nonexistent vacancies, the multifamily market is beginning to show signs of calming.
Annual effective rent grew at a 7.4 percent rate in the Portland-Vancouver, Wash.-Hillsboro market during the second quarter, down from 10.7 percent during the first quarter, according to data analysis firm Axiometrics.
That was still the fourth-highest in the nation, behind only the Sacramento, Seattle and Phoenix metro areas.
Market fundamentals remain strong, but after years of apartment development, supply appears to be starting to make a dent in demand.
The multifamily market is returning to a more normal rate of growth, said Noel Johnson, vice president of Vancouver, Wash.-based developer Killian Pacific.
“What we’ve seen recently was an aberration, and we’re returning to what is a more reasonable state of normal,” he said. “And that’s good because it was unhealthy and causing, I think, heightened concern across our community.”

Read more: http://djcoregon.com/news/2016/07/08...#ixzz4DraNDr8Z

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Portland hotel boom increasing city's rooms by 40 percent

If online home-sharing services like Airbnb are threatening the hotel industry, you wouldn't know it in Portland.

Not to be left out of Portland's building boom, hotels are responsible for a good chunk of the tower cranes now dotting the downtown skyline. Institutional investors and developers have taken advantage of low interest rates and high occupancy levels at Portland's existing hotels, betting on Portland's ongoing emergence as a travel destination and the region's booming economy.

The number of hotel rooms in the metro area is set to explode in the coming years. The hospitality industry group Travel Portland projects that in central Portland alone, there will be at least 40 percent more available rooms by 2020 than there are now. Nearly 3,000 new rooms are in the development pipeline or have recently opened, not including projects still in the early planning phases. There are currently more than 7,300 rooms in the central city.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 11:22 PM

Seattle skyline is tops in construction cranes — more than any other US city

Print Email The Seattle Times By The Seattle Times
on November 04, 2016 at 6:00 AM, updated November 04, 2016 at 6:02 AM

21451634-large by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

Seattle is going crazy! But Portland's construction scene looks just as robust as most other US cities, at least as far as the summer crane count goes... Interesting numbers. I wonder where the Texas and Florida cities are in this graphic?

Quote:
SEATTLE — Seattle is — for the moment, at least — the crane capital of America.

As the city transforms with taller and taller buildings, Seattle this summer had 58 construction cranes reshaping the skyline — more than any other city in the country, according to recent data.

The city has more cranes than New York and San Francisco combined. It has twice as many as Chicago, Washington, D.C., or Portland.

And it has an 18-crane lead over second-place Los Angeles, according to Rider Levett Bucknall, a firm that tracks crane counts across the world.

Seattle's crane count has grown 38 percent in the past year, creating a shortage of both cranes and operators. And while they're most tightly concentrated in downtown and the city's South Lake Union neighborhood, the cranes are soaring hundreds of feet above neighborhoods all across town.
continues ...http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...rt_river_index

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 12:21 AM
Karma Police

Per capita, we're beating everybody but Seattle. I believe it.... I can see at least a dozen of those cranes from my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Seattle skyline is tops in construction cranes — more than any other US city

Print Email The Seattle Times By The Seattle Times
on November 04, 2016 at 6:00 AM, updated November 04, 2016 at 6:02 AM

21451634-large by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

Seattle is going crazy! But Portland's construction scene looks just as robust as most other US cities, at least as far as the summer crane count goes... Interesting numbers. I wonder where the Texas and Florida cities are in this graphic?

continues ...http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...rt_river_index

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Per capita, we're beating everybody but Seattle. I believe it.... I can see at least a dozen of those cranes from my house.
Miami looks like it has about 50 going, these numbers don't seem consistent at all. Who is doing the counting anyways? =)

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflor...velopment.html

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 3:05 PM
Never Dell

Seattleite here...we're NOTHING like the top crane city. New York, Miami, and probably others have more. This has been widely discussed in other parts of the internets...it's BS. That said, the Seattle figure seems about right.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 7:13 PM

A couple pages back we discussed the drought in new condo construction. Well: it's finally over. Two medium scale buildings recently came on the market, both with one bedrooms below $300k. One faces Overlook Park, and the other is in Sellwood.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
A couple pages back we discussed the drought in new condo construction. Well: it's finally over. Two medium scale buildings recently came on the market, both with one bedrooms below $300k. One faces Overlook Park, and the other is in Sellwood.
Were these buildings supposed to be apartments? With the potential glut of apartments at the high end, it would be smart for some developers to turn their units into condos rather than keep them as apartments. A comeback for condos...sort of?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 6:50 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

$500 sqft for $300k.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 6:57 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

http://portlandtribune.com/but/239-n...-at-open-house

Quote:
Everett Custom Homes premieres new Modern Homes Collection at open house

summary:

1) Woodstock modern homes sell immediately for $700k+ (Woodstock!?!)

2) He wants to start developing row/townhomes that start at $300k
--------------------------------

Are we finally going to see a shift towards smaller townhomes to support the middle class? My wife and I spent almost half a year looking for a starter home, had to leave Portland as there is nothing habitable for under $400k in this city. We are both professionals.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 5:22 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
http://portlandtribune.com/but/239-n...-at-open-house

--------------------------------

Are we finally going to see a shift towards smaller townhomes to support the middle class? My wife and I spent almost half a year looking for a starter home, had to leave Portland as there is nothing habitable for under $400k in this city. We are both professionals.
That is such a sad reality for Portland. My wife and I aren't ready yet to buy, but we want to end up in Milwaukie, but even then we are concerned if we will be able to buy in Milwaukie. Our fall back to keep us in the Willamette valley would be Salem since the housing costs there are much more realistic, like what Portland use to be.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 1:24 AM

21 cranes, 15 hotels, 10,000 jobs: Inside Oregon's development spree
Updated on July 16, 2017 at 11:06 AM Posted on July 16, 2017 at 7:03 AM
By Jeff Manning jmanning@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive
By Jeff Manning and Anna Marum

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...tion_boom.html

Quote:
John Killin pressed the panic button in February amid a multibillion-dollar tsunami of real estate development.

The building frenzy that lit up the Portland-area economy and changed the city irrevocably has depleted the pool of skilled construction workers. In a letter to fellow contractors, Killin warned of a "new normal" of chronic labor shortages.

"There are probably 10,000 open jobs out there," said Killin, executive director of the Associated Wall and Ceiling Contractors of Oregon and Southwest Washington. "We need 800 carpenters, we need about the same number of electricians. And there are 20 more trades."

Nearly a decade after the Great Recession, the long and frustratingly slow recovery has morphed into a barrage of development that by some measures surpasses the mid-2000s housing bubble. The city issued nearly 12,000 buildings permits through the first 10 months of its current fiscal year for a record $2.5 billion in projects, easily eclipsing the previous high of $1.9 billion set the year before.

Interviews with dozens of developers, construction company executives and union officials reveal a boom that includes all real estate categories, from high-end apartments in Portland's urban core to enormous data centers in the eastern Oregon desert. Fueled by strong in-migration and job growth, Portland should remain red-hot in the near-term, they predict.

...(continues)...

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 4:18 AM
BANNED

Meh and still we can't even get 1 tower over 30 stories

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
We must be getting pretty close to the tipping point where the economics will make a lot of sense and we'll see bunch of them. 30-35 stories will be the new 15-20 stories.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 11:44 PM
A before E

Quote:
A quick trip up to Seattle will get you plenty of that, if tall buildings is what you crave. The types of buildings Portland is getting works for Portland.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Looking out my office window I can see 2 buildings over 30 floors. I'm pretty sure there are a few more towers that tall when looking out the window on the opposite end of my office too.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 1:16 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
The types of buildings Portland is getting works for Portland.
THIS.

When it makes financial sense for developers to build tall, they build tall. You keep complaining and saying silly things like "They're too scared to build taller!" Come on now. When it makes financial sense for developers to build tall, they build tall.

I'm guessing you're in high school and have an interest in architecture. That's great! I'd strongly recommend studying things like urban planning, business and economics. And when you graduate high school, consider moving to a city that comes closer to being what you want. I don't mean that in a snarky way at all. I spent too many years living in places I didn't want to be. When I moved to Portland in the late 90s, it instantly felt like a home because I'd chosen what I wanted rather than complaining endlessly about places that could never be what I wanted.

When it makes financial sense for developers to build tall, they build tall. Developers aren't conspiring against us to avoid height and they're not chickening out or anything silly like that. They're in business. When it makes financial sense for developers to build tall, they build tall.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 2:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
THIS.

When it makes financial sense for developers to build tall, they build tall. You keep complaining and saying silly things like "They're too scared to build taller!" Come on now. When it makes financial sense for developers to build tall, they build tall.

I'm guessing you're in high school and have an interest in architecture. That's great! I'd strongly recommend studying things like urban planning, business and economics. And when you graduate high school, consider moving to a city that comes closer to being what you want. I don't mean that in a snarky way at all. I spent too many years living in places I didn't want to be. When I moved to Portland in the late 90s, it instantly felt like a home because I'd chosen what I wanted rather than complaining endlessly about places that could never be what I wanted.

When it makes financial sense for developers to build tall, they build tall. Developers aren't conspiring against us to avoid height and they're not chickening out or anything silly like that. They're in business. When it makes financial sense for developers to build tall, they build tall.
No im a grown adult thank you very much. Also I was born and raised in the heart of the city of Portland which has now been gentrified. Which I don't mind at all my family and I were fortunate enough to work hard all our lives no we see the benefits of rising property values.

It seems like your the actual newbie to my beautiful city. Welcome. All I want is more southwater front tall towers they originally built. It can still be Portland enough to make everybody happy. You keep saying financial sense. Have you read these reports on the economy here? It's booming. If not now when? It's a legitimate question

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics