HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 2:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
Tidbits from the Midtown DRC meeting last night regarding Portman's 712 West Peachtree office tower.

- 712 tower is about 50 feet taller than Anthem tower
- There will be no residential component
- The mid-block curb cut on West Peachtree that was previously proposed has been eliminated
- The arcade on 3rd street has been eliminated from the plans (I believe they originally intended this to be outdoor dining for food and beverage tenant)
- In discussing the 3rd Street side they were told "the opportunity for development across 3rd street is near term - probably students." to which they replied "I agree with that."
- They hinted that the tower would be occupied within three years (I assume the timing will be similar to Anthem/Coda. Anthem got moving in earnest shortly before Coda topped out)
It's odd developers are looking at the east side of the Connector for student housing projects. Land is so much cheaper and plentiful on the west side. At some point they will priced out of the core Midtown CBD and I suspect it maybe be in the next year.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
It's odd developers are looking at the east side of the Connector for student housing projects. Land is so much cheaper and plentiful on the west side. At some point they will priced out of the core Midtown CBD and I suspect it maybe be in the next year.
I think you eventually may see a cluster of student housing around 3rd Street east of the connector because of the tunnel under the interstate at that location. I think the long term plan is to have that tunnel opened on a more permanent basis, making a quick walk for students to the main campus.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
I think you eventually may see a cluster of student housing around 3rd Street east of the connector because of the tunnel under the interstate at that location. I think the long term plan is to have that tunnel opened on a more permanent basis, making a quick walk for students to the main campus.
This part of town is quickly turning into a student housing mecca. Thousands of student beds in arguably the hottest intown development market of the southeast.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 3:52 PM
Closed account

Quote:
My guess is probably a number of factors.

1. Zoning that's more accomodating.

2. Developments east of the connector have a proven track record of being successful from a ROI stand point (basically a sheeple effect). It's the same reasons developer continue to squeeze projects into the overdeveloped northern suburbs instead of considering the southern suburbs that have cheaper land.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 4:02 PM

Construction updates from the Midtown Alliance:

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 4:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
My guess is probably a number of factors.

2. Developments east of the connector have a proven track record of being successful from a ROI stand point (basically a sheeple effect). It's the same reasons developer continue to squeeze projects into the overdeveloped northern suburbs instead of considering the southern suburbs that have cheaper land.

A 20+ story condo just started construction in West Midtown so I do not necessarily agree with this factor.

Developers don't have a proven track record with developments on the on the east side of the Connector/Midtown. The recent spat of luxury student housing developments have only occurred in the last 3 - 4 years. None of these projects have been through a negative economic cycle where less people go to college and those that do chose more affordable housing options. Most importantly, the Student Loan business is ready to crash. The days of students applying and getting unlimited loans is quickly ending. If I was a prudent developer, I would not be targeting student housing projects in the most expensive areas in Metro ATL. I would target the areas adjacent to the most popular and expensive area of Metro ATL or West Midtown.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 5:12 PM
Closed account

Quote:

A 20+ story condo just started construction in West Midtown so I do not necessarily agree with this factor.

Developers don't have a proven track record with developments on the on the east side of the Connector/Midtown. The recent spat of luxury student housing developments have only occurred in the last 3 - 4 years. None of these projects have been through a negative economic cycle where less people go to college and those that do chose more affordable housing options. Most importantly, the Student Loan business is ready to crash. The days of students applying and getting unlimited loans is quickly ending. If I was a prudent developer, I would not be targeting student housing projects in the most expensive areas in Metro ATL. I would target the areas adjacent to the most popular and expensive area of Metro ATL or West Midtown.
I wasn't talking about student housing specifically, but all types of housing developments in general. Developers see how successful the housing projects east of the connector have been and assume that their projects (whether it's condos, apartments or student housing) can be just as successful and they jump in on that momentum. They realize that it would likely be a easier sell to market higher-pricing housing in closer proximity to all of the amenities (restaurants, bars, grocery stores, etc) found in the heart of Midtown than it would west of the connector, which is still sort of a new frontier.

All of that said, I'm sure if the 20+ story condo you mention does well, more developers will gradually follow in their footsteps with taking a risk on West Midtown.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
I wasn't talking about student housing specifically, but all types of housing developments in general. Developers see how successful the housing projects east of the connector have been and assume that their projects (whether it's condos, apartments or student housing) can be just as successful and they jump in on that momentum. They realize that it would likely be a easier sell to market higher-pricing housing in closer proximity to all of the amenities (restaurants, bars, grocery stores, etc) found in the heart of Midtown than it would west of the connector, which is still sort of a new frontier.

All of that said, I'm sure if the 20+ story condo you mention does well, more developers will gradually follow in their footsteps with taking a risk on West Midtown.
This is exactly what Novare did when they built most of their Skyhouse developments. They were able to reduce their risk by creating the Skyhouse prototypes in markets/areas that were less desirable but on the cusp of a building boom at that time (2011 or so).
Now there are countless developments that have popped up around them riding the wave of the boom they took advantage of early on.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 6:03 PM
BANNED

Nice!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 6:41 PM

Looks good

^^^^

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 7:05 PM

Portman debuted their latest addition to the West Peachtree corridor in the form of a 23-story glass tower. The spec office building will occupy the current site of Midtown Bank on the NW corner of West Peachtree Street and 3rd Street. The bank will be relocated into the ground floor of the new tower as part of 5,100 SF of retail uses. Floors 2 through 6 function as a partially enclosed parking podium, which could be connected to the adjacent parking deck now under construction at 740 West Peachtree. Above the podium, 15 levels provide 335,000 SF of office space. Access to the parking would solely originate along 3rd Street while pedestrian access to ground floor uses would be primarily from West Peachtree Street. Loading will be handled via the existing alley. The committee requested more refinement of the sidewalk level experience to make it more dynamic and visually engaging during the day and at night. More attention is needed around opportunities for tenant branding and customization consistent with the guidelines in Midtown’s Storefront Checklist. The committee recommended further study of the lowest level along 3rd Street to provide direct access and more daylight into the space. Other minor comments included: 1) Providing a dedicated 4’ walkway to connect from parking area to public sidewalks; 2) Narrowing the curbcut width along 3rd Street; and 3) Further recessing the gate arm into the building footprint in order to allow for additional queuing of cars on-site rather than in the street. Thus, the committee recommended preliminary support for the plan and related variations but withheld full support until additional information could be provided.

200 14th Place - Park Modern

Office of Design provided an expanded townhouse proposal which originally was presented to the DRC in April. The updated scheme now has frontage along 14th Street and consists of 18 units, 4-stories each, with a 6,000 SF courtyard on an L-shaped lot accessible by a single perimeter driveway. The DRC generally supported the proposal with the following comments: 1) design the driveway to be one way only - entering from 14th Place and existing onto 14th St. with a right turn only, and 2) to revise the unit fronting 14th Street by bringing the building edge closer to the street, with an expanded front patio and a low retaining wall to match the adjacent property on 14th Street. These recommendations reinforce consistency with the surrounding context and provide more useable space for the end unit. With these minor adjustments, the committee recommended support for the plan and related variations.

760 Spring St - Microgrid

West of the Georgia Tech Hotel parking garage along Williams St. and north of 4th St. is a sliver of land with an existing water detention pond. Georgia Tech has partnered with Georgia Power to re-imagine this area with a new alternative energy generation facility known as a ‘Microgrid’. The power generation will used for research and delivered to the High Performance Computing Center at CODA one block east. The new energy components would be placed on a platform and screened with 7’-12’ high fence with an applied graphic wrap. The DRC acknowledged the need for the safety screening and alternative tree spacing due to the unique requirements of the project, which otherwise would not have been allowed. However, they noted four conditions for the enclosure 1) the graphic wrap for the screen should display only educational information or artwork; 2) noise should be mitigated with sound dampening materials; 3) the fence should not block the pedestrian path from the parking structure; and 4) any equipment outside the perimeter fencing should be screened from view of Williams St. with vegetation. The committee recommended support for the plan upon adequately addressing each of these issues.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 7:30 PM

Wow Portman wants to go spec on that? None of the other spec projects have gotten out of the ground yet. I thought they might have a tenant. Decent design.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 9:44 PM

I enjoy the new Portman proposal. Hoping for more retail than just the bank.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 10:05 PM
Topher’s 2 cents

Someone wake me when someone starts building one of these many proposals.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Wow Portman wants to go spec on that? None of the other spec projects have gotten out of the ground yet. I thought they might have a tenant. Decent design.
That surprised me as well, I thought it would be a long time before that one started. I hope it doesn't deter the Cousins project on 7th.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesangha View Post
someone wake me when someone starts building one of these many proposals.
agree

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 1:34 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSangha View Post
Someone wake me when someone starts building one of these many proposals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
agree
Seconded.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:15 PM

If I had to bet on any of these I would bet the Portman proposal gets built and fairly soon--

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:40 PM
Topher’s 2 cents

Idk. I think 1105 is ready to go, they just need to get in with it.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
If I had to bet on any of these I would bet the Portman proposal gets built and fairly soon--
For better or worse (design), Portman does tend to deliver. This, Cousins, and 1105 would be awesome for the area. The more I think about it, I'm a bit indifferent on MetLife and 1125 proposals. They'd be great for more offices in midtown, too, I think I just prefer the other 3. But overall, the more offices and and residences in Midtown the better provides a lot more options to work intown!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations