HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 12:41 AM

San Antonio Light Rail

SAKYLE04

I had a little more time to reflect on your comments regarding this forum. Let me just say I like density and urbanity but it is not for the reasons you presented. I believe in the right type of density and the right type of urbanity and not urbanity for urbanity sake or some general uncorrelated ideas.

First, they do not reduce crime. Small towns have traditionally been low in crime. Lately the improvements in transportation, media, and the internet have spread crime further away from the urban areas. You actually need to control crime in the urban areas.

Property values are based on demand not density and urbanity. A 500k shack in LA compared to a 500K home in SA is not the urbanity and density I am looking for. However there is demand there. Look at the condos being built in SA now, good prices for the wealthy. Again there is demand there. Condos in Portland now overbuilt and they can not sell them. Low demand. I can give you areas in Chicago and Detroit where you will not want to live as a result of urbanity and you would give your house away if you could.

Livability is a product of things done well to suit the user not density or urbanity.

Standards are not as high as you think in urban US cities. But this is a subjective issue dependent on each person's response. The quality of education has nothing to do with density and urbanity. It more has to do with what people are willing to spend and the quality they bring and expect.

Society is helped when individuals in society want to make a contribution to help society and not because of density or urbanity. When farmers get together and raise a barn it is more of an accomplishment then many people ever make in an urban area.

A private art museum can do the job just as well and or better than a public art museum. Infrastructure, that is a topic for serious debate beyond the scope of this forum.

Becoming a better consumer is ridiculas. Try a wiser consumer. Paying more taxes is also ridiculas. Try being a wiser tax payer.

A tide raises all individuals may be true but it also makes them bland and the same. Change for the sake of change is absurd.

I think the moral of the story is the right type of urbanity and the right type of density can be great and change when you know what you are changing is also great.

Don't forget that a rising tide also floods and decimates the area.

I would never remove the Alamadome from SA because it is a landmark that can benefit SA. How about assimilating it into the community to make it work better. Residences are a dime a dozen and there are plenty areas downtown to locate them. Think high rise for the downtown.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio