HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okstate View Post
http://www.violettapdx.com/

$7.50 for a cheeseburger seems a little high. As does $7 for clam chowder & $7.50 for Mac & Cheese. Then again, I am still getting used to prices on this side of the country not to mention paying more for ogranic/local Ingredients (which I fully support).
The menu looks good. The prices are on the high side but not so high as to keep me away if the food is good. I can imagine having a bite before or after a movie and enjoying my evening fine.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 7:30 PM

At least the coffee prices are quite affordable. I guess I was expecting Burgerville type prices. Will there be any inside seating or is it all outdoor?

Edit- *Violetta serves carry-out and dine-in breakfast, lunch and dinner seven days a week from 7:00 am to 11:00 pm, and features walk-up espresso and coffee service from 6:00 am to 9:00 pm.*

I am quite pleased with their hours of operation.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 9:40 AM
Ah-choo.

Took a stroll through the park tonight and was seriously impressed. Absolutely loved it, it really felt great inside.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 5:53 PM

With a couple of food carts added into the mix, the park/plaza could become a major nice day lunch destination. I wonder if this space will feel more claustrophobic or more intimate with the completion of the tower next door...

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 6:46 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
With a couple of food carts added into the mix, the park/plaza could become a major nice day lunch destination. I wonder if this space will feel more claustrophobic or more intimate with the completion of the tower next door...
Not sure the food cart idea would happen, while I agree is a great idea, but I am betting the restaurant in the plaza has a deal to be the only place serving food. It is the same at Pioneer Square, if a restaurant opened up in the old Powells location, the food carts would of been forced to move...though they are able to be there with Starbucks because their focus is coffee (that part of the rule kind of confuses me alittle.)

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I think the tower will only add positively to the feel of this plaza. The added density around it just gives it more definition, IMO.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkdaub View Post
The menu looks good. The prices are on the high side but not so high as to keep me away if the food is good. I can imagine having a bite before or after a movie and enjoying my evening fine.
If their Bengeits are any good, I'd be willing to pay the $6 price. Can't obviously be Cafe du monde quality, but decent and I'll cough it up.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanL View Post
If their Bengeits are any good, I'd be willing to pay the $6 price. Can't obviously be Cafe du monde quality, but decent and I'll cough it up.
I heard that they are the people who had Roux. The Bengeits at Roux were AMAZING so they should be the same here, I am sure.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 5:23 PM

why would you not include the Oregon Sustainability Center in that mix?

also, both the Derek Hanna led projects will NEVER happen. he owes way to many people (designers) money for those things, and no longer returns calls or emails.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 11:54 PM
Ah-choo.

Probably because this thread is over a year old.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 12:28 AM

Portland investment firm buys KOIN Center
By Brent Hunsberger, The Oregonian
December 29, 2009
The KOIN Center -- most of it -- has been sold, again.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...firm_buys.html

Portland-based American Pacific International Capital, Inc. has purchased 19 floors of the 30-floor building from troubled FSP KOIN Center, the firm announced today.

Terms were not disclosed.

New York Life Insurance had sued FPS KOIN Center earlier this year, claiming FPS failed to make its July mortgage payment on the building. By the time of sale, the insurer had taken over the note on the building.

FPS is a partnership of CalPERS, the huge California public employees pension fund, and Commonwealth Partners, a large Los Angeles real estate investment firm. It bought the KOIN Center in the summer of 2007 for $108 million on CalPERS' behalf.

In August 2007, FPS borrowed $70 million from New York Life.

The top 11 stories of the building are condominiums and were not included in either sale.

The building is managed by APIC Property Management. Ron Beltz, vice president of KOIN Center for over 15 years, becomes senior vice president of APIC's management arm and will oversee its commercial property operations.

The 25-year-old tower boasts 411,000 square feet of office and retail space and one of Portland's most recognizable buildings.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 7:52 PM
shozbot!

Grubb & Ellis calls Portland a top market

http://portland.bizjournals.com/port...04/daily3.html

Portland is one of the nation’s best markets for long-term investment in commercial real estate in all four major asset classes — office, industrial, retail and multifamily residential.

According to a forecast released Monday by Grubb & Ellis Co. (NYSE: GBE), the commercial real estate industry won’t begin to rebound until 2011, but economists anticipate the declines posted in 2009 will ease in 2010.

“Because commercial real estate lags the labor market, it still has a ways to go before reaching its own low point,” said Bob Bach, senior vice president and chief economist.

The forecast anticipates real estate transaction volumes, down some 85 percent from their 2007 peak, will begin to rebound in 2010 as distressed assets come on the market at steeply discounted prices.

For long term value, Grubb & Ellis ranks Portland in the hard-to-beat category, even though office vacancy rates are expected to hit a record-setting 19 percent by late 2010.

Thanks to its sprawl-fighting urban growth boundary, Portland ranks fourth in the nation for long-term investment in office properties, after Austin, Washington, D.C., and Los Angeles.

Industrial real estate will improve as global trade, freight shipments and increased manufacturing activity create more demand for space. Vacancy rates will hit 11.4 percent by late 2010, but West Coast ports such as Portland are poised to lead the recovery. Portland, at No. 9, joins Los Angeles, Houston, Atlanta, Oakland, Seattle, Dallas, Chicago and Philadelphia on the 10-to-watch list.

Retail real estate will continue to lag as consumers readjust spending and rebuild savings. Bach doesn’t anticipate new demand before 2011. Portland ranks ninth on the list of the top 10 retail markets, between San Diego and San Francisco.

The apartment market stands to benefit as baby boomers age and from declining rates of home ownership, which are expected to return to pre-bubble levels. Portland ranks No. 8 on the multifamily list, between Atlanta and Westchester County, N.Y.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 7:08 AM

Unusual question; please read patiently

On a "blog,or site similar to this (sorry I forget the name) a comparison came up in four Western citires: San Francisco, Seatlle? Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver Canada.

The citits were comared, rated and scored from 1 to 4 on various categories, San Francisco Usually first, then Seattle or Portland and then Vancouver.

But what I did not understand was the ranking of the climates. Naturally it Went first to San Fran, the Seattle, --------but then, to Vancouver, and LASTLY to Portland? Why would this be? Vancouver has colder outflow conditions than Portland. cooler temps and more rain. What is the flaw in Portland's climate? Any information appreciated

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,????????????????????????????????????

can anyone explain this to me. thanks

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 7:26 AM

Maybe they like cooler, marine weather? Portland has warmer summers than the other cities mentioned since we're not on a large body of water, and probably a little dryer. It doesn't get miserably hot, but can get hotter than the other cites listed. Don't know...city rankings are generally bs...

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 7:33 PM

As for city activity/culture/"buzz" I would probably group San Fran. & Vancouver together with Seattle & Portland being more similar.

As for summer climate I would Take a Vancouver/Portland/Seattle summer over a San Fran. summer

As for a winter climate I would take 1) San Fran. 2) PDX 3) Seattle 4) Vancouver

P.S.- How did this question end up in this thread?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 8:04 AM
shozbot!

Anybody else notice that First and Main's roof and "fins" are lit up now at night? My wife and I were walking along Waterfront Park after dinner, and I noticed something was completely different..... Let there be light!

It's a nice glow on top of a building that's almost saying--- "Need any office space? Come check me out!"

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 8:51 PM

I noticed the Wells Fargo Tower's also sporting new lighting on its corners. Well, not really 'new' but just not normally used except for holiday lighting. Looks good -- the more nighttime glow downtown, the better.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 3:37 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
I noticed the Wells Fargo Tower's also sporting new lighting on its corners. Well, not really 'new' but just not normally used except for holiday lighting. Looks good -- the more nighttime glow downtown, the better.
And I couldn't help noticing that their holiday lights were brighter this year. I thought nothing of it at the time, but you're right, it's nice. I love city lights at night.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 5:56 AM

I looked for the lights on 1st and main tonight & didn't see it. Maybe it's hit and miss right now.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 7:54 AM

Portland Condo Quarterly Q4/2009
by AGENT503 on JANUARY 22, 2010

http://agent503.com/2010/01/22/portl...rterly-q42009/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland