HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 8:07 PM

You do realize that the Dumbell is designed by architects, right? I have no idea how much they were paid for it, but if you think architects are highly compensated in general then you really have no idea.

I find it very funny that you are praising the Dumbell while criticizing Michael Graves and the Portland Building, given that they have a number of similarities: superficial 'painted' on designs, and small windows punched into the facade.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 9:38 PM

I agree, cab is getting carried away. Every city needs both good and bad architecture. Not everything can be a showcase or perfectly designed. In fact, cabs example of food carts is exactly why I'm not worried about small oversights. The creative exuberance of PDX seems to always want to fill the cracks.

I don't fault the design commission as much as cab. They do have some slip ups, but it's not a cabal of haughty architects lording the future of our city over our heads.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 10:55 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Perhaps, just perhaps the Dumbbell is exactly the architecture which Portland deserves.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:48 AM

Damn. I don't really know a lot about architectural theory (duh), but being a designer, architecture fan and lifelong Oregonian (20 years in PDX), I welcome this building.. I really try to think about it as a contextual piece. I often think about architectural districts in international cities and look at the juxtaposition of styles and lines, as well as color and materials that adorn facades. I dislike Michael Graves' Portland Building and its minuscule windows and daunting boxy shape. i don't like that the Dumbbell has similar window sizes and the boxy aesthetic.... That said, when you drop it into that odd lot and juxtapose it with the new Skylab (Kovel) project at the bridgehead, it could be a really great gateway to an exciting place.. I get the idea that The Dumbbell is not a long-term piece, as much as it is a harbinger of exciting things to come that's facade, and ultimately, it's existence-- is transient.. Is the design frivolous, stupid and ill-advised? Perhaps.. Has Portland, at least in recent memory, adopted people with visions' that were similarly frivolous? Yes. I think it'll be cool, as long as it's cool.. Then, it'll change.. Hopefully.. Context is key.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 6:59 AM

I have mixed feelings about this one, especially after reading the back-and-forth here. Not crazy about the wallpaper motif; gets me thinking about Cavenaugh's Rocket building, which seems to be aging awkwardly -- I kind of like it, kind of don't. But in the context of everything else that is happening down there (and in the city), I find myself feeling more open-minded about the Dumbbell. Architectural diversity is good. This is also a relatively small building and it will be surrounded, at least on two sides, by Skylab and Works buildings (the Works one I'm thrilled about, the Skylab one I'm curious about how the pedestal turns out). It's whimsical and hopefully the Design Commission process will improve upon it.

The other day I was reading way back in the Burnside Bridgehead thread, remembering how bummed people were that Beam's site plan got passed over by the geniuses at the PDC. Crazy that we were expecting construction to begin so many years ago. Now we'll get to see what happens when a single, multi-block development gets divvied up into parcels with a diverse set of developers and architects, something I still wish had happened initially with South Waterfront.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 8:05 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
You do realize that the Dumbell is designed by architects, right? I have no idea how much they were paid for it, but if you think architects are highly compensated in general then you really have no idea.

I find it very funny that you are praising the Dumbell while criticizing Michael Graves and the Portland Building, given that they have a number of similarities: superficial 'painted' on designs, and small windows punched into the facade.
Actually the Dumbell is a developer/architect designed building that is using share funding to fund the building. The idea with the painted design on the building is to make something unique out of a limited budget. Keep in mind, this is the same designer that designed and built a Box and One on 28th and Ankeny, and that is an amazing building.

I actually like the Dumbell and have faith in the designer that he will pull off a very unique building that will really stand out in that small lot.

As for the Graves building, there is a whole list of issues with that building with why it should be torn down and a perfect example that Graves knew nothing about Portland when he designed the building. At least with the Dumbell it is designed by a local designer who has invested interest in the city.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 8:07 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
I have mixed feelings about this one, especially after reading the back-and-forth here. Not crazy about the wallpaper motif; gets me thinking about Cavenaugh's Rocket building, which seems to be aging awkwardly -- I kind of like it, kind of don't. But in the context of everything else that is happening down there (and in the city), I find myself feeling more open-minded about the Dumbbell. Architectural diversity is good. This is also a relatively small building and it will be surrounded, at least on two sides, by Skylab and Works buildings (the Works one I'm thrilled about, the Skylab one I'm curious about how the pedestal turns out). It's whimsical and hopefully the Design Commission process will improve upon it.

The other day I was reading way back in the Burnside Bridgehead thread, remembering how bummed people were that Beam's site plan got passed over by the geniuses at the PDC. Crazy that we were expecting construction to begin so many years ago. Now we'll get to see what happens when a single, multi-block development gets divvied up into parcels with a diverse set of developers and architects, something I still wish had happened initially with South Waterfront.
I totally agree with you, I have a feeling that East Burnside is going to turn out to be a much better diverse urban district and skyline than South Waterfront which will probably continue to feel more like a condo tower neighborhood for doctors.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Actually the Dumbell is a developer/architect designed building that is using share funding to fund the building.
Actually, the Design Advice drawings appear to have been prepared by Brett Schulz Architect. The applicant is listed as Phillip Chubb of FFA Architecture + Interiors, who will apparently be acting as architect of record. Additionally Kevin Cavenaugh (the developer) trained as architect, although he is not licensed in Oregon. (The only reason I stress this is because architects are not some homogeneous block of people who all speak with one voice).

I like other work Guerrilla Development have done: the Ocean is fantastic, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the Zipper turns out. But I don't think their previous track record exempts them from criticism on this one.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 2:33 PM

Actually, I'm not praising the dumbbell. Its small enough to not make much of a difference. It doesn't pretend to be anything other than a cheeky little building. The Portland building is a different case. That fact that the group think of local architecture community would give a guy a standing ovation as he basically mocked them is testament to the problem. Its all about perceived architecture value as opposed to real use and public value. Two issues, who does the design community represent and what is their job to nit pick color or stop obvious bad functions, like say a garage door on a pedestrian street? The second is the disconnect between the architecture community and the public they serve. Do they care at all that entire architecture forms in vogue do not resonate with the public at large? And is this the reason why gorrilla architecture does so much better meeting the needs of the community over the trained architect. These are valid questions, unless you work in the architecture field, than I can see being a bit defensive. You got to spend a lot to get dig deep into the hole of conventional architecture circle jerk thought. The praise of each other is all you have because the public sure doesn't jive with where the books told you to go. Case in point put Graves in a room with those who have to use his buildings, lets see if they give him a standing ovation.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:35 PM

Do you think that if you keep asserting that the Dumbbell isn't designed by trained architects then it might become true?

Also, Gorilla:

Guerrilla:

Last edited by maccoinnich; Oct 22, 2014 at 3:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:52 PM

Never did say that it wasnt designed by architects. Like I said, its not a masterpiece, just different. You're a Little touchy. Work in the architect field? Might want to get out and listen a bit. Or do you all think the public are nothing more than Gorillas too base to understand the intricate knowledge attained though deep study. I really do think the community as a whole need to take a look at what they do and whether they are meeting the needs of real place making. Cart villages are a great point, it must infuriate the trained to see amateurs kick the crap out of them when it comes to attracting actual humans. And let me say, there are a lot of good architects, no doubt, its just he underlining paradigm needs a bit of revolution. How can you not be disturbed at the Graves response? Lets be done with it. Its turned into a larger issue. Maybe a topic about the state of architecture might be better.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 5:14 PM
Well designed mixed use

Let's count our blessings.

Portland may not have the big civic architecture treasures found in bigger cities, but I can't think of another city where more good home-grown design is happening at developer level.

All of the projects around the Bridgehead are unique, and depending on one's point of view, each is very inspired. B Side 6 down the street is is an inspired building. Everything Beam has done has been inspired and reflective of what Portland needs. The Zidell family could choose to pump out crap buildings to feed the current need for office and apartment space. They're not. They are creating some nice buildings.

Not that everything that's going up in Portland is nice--a lot of it is crap. That said, we should be happy that there are good elements of design throughout our neighborhoods that is happening organically created by and for the people who live in Portland. This I think is a sign of a great and talented design community.

So often in Portland we bemoan the lack of large corporate barons who would donate money toward large and inspired civic projects. While that would be nice, that isn't always good either. Look at the Dallas, Texas design district where a flood of oil money has created a collection of buildings designed by world-renowned architects. And yet the street scene there is dead, and there are few great buildings anywhere else around town.

So even with all it lacks, I think Portland is growing exactly the way that it should.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 7:33 PM
A before E

Quote:
Actually, the Design Advice drawings appear to have been prepared by Brett Schulz Architect. The applicant is listed as Phillip Chubb of FFA Architecture + Interiors, who will apparently be acting as architect of record. Additionally Kevin Cavenaugh (the developer) trained as architect, although he is not licensed in Oregon. (The only reason I stress this is because architects are not some homogeneous block of people who all speak with one voice).

I like other work Guerrilla Development have done: the Ocean is fantastic, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the Zipper turns out. But I don't think their previous track record exempts them from criticism on this one.
Sorry if I wasn't being specific with my post. Cavenaugh not being a licensed architect needs to have an actual architect approve anything he does. Brett Schulz Architect has done that and thus gets the credit as being the "architect" for this project.

You are welcome to criticize any work of architecture you like, no one is ever exempt from that. All I am saying is that I like his past work, and I have faith in this project turning out to be a good one as well. I personally like what I have seen of the Dumbbell building so far.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 7:38 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX City-State View Post
Let's count our blessings.

Portland may not have the big civic architecture treasures found in bigger cities, but I can't think of another city where more good home-grown design is happening at developer level.

All of the projects around the Bridgehead are unique, and depending on one's point of view, each is very inspired. B Side 6 down the street is is an inspired building. Everything Beam has done has been inspired and reflective of what Portland needs. The Zidell family could choose to pump out crap buildings to feed the current need for office and apartment space. They're not. They are creating some nice buildings.

Not that everything that's going up in Portland is nice--a lot of it is crap. That said, we should be happy that there are good elements of design throughout our neighborhoods that is happening organically created by and for the people who live in Portland. This I think is a sign of a great and talented design community.

So often in Portland we bemoan the lack of large corporate barons who would donate money toward large and inspired civic projects. While that would be nice, that isn't always good either. Look at the Dallas, Texas design district where a flood of oil money has created a collection of buildings designed by world-renowned architects. And yet the street scene there is dead, and there are few great buildings anywhere else around town.

So even with all it lacks, I think Portland is growing exactly the way that it should.
A little off topic, but the only major civic project I would love to see happen in Portland is a big aquarium, but that is for selfish reasons because I love aquariums.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Land Use Review filed by Myrhe Group to rezone half of the Fishel's furniture block from IG1 to EXd, to match the rest of the surrounding properties. The application doesn't state the reason, but given that IG1 doesn't allow housing, and EXd does, I think it's fairly obvious.
This was approved:

Quote:
Approval of a Zoning Map Amendment, to change the zone for this site from IG1 to EXd subject to the following conditions: A. As part of the building permit application submittal, the following development-related condition (B) must be noted on each of the 4 required site plans or included as a sheet in the numbered set of plans. The sheet on which this information appears must be labeled "ZONING COMPLIANCE PAGE - Case File LU 14-159917 ZC." All requirements must be graphically represented on the site plan, landscape, or other required plan and must be labeled "REQUIRED." B. No Building Permit for any future development that results in an increase in trip generation as compared with the current uses on the subject site shall be issued until performance guarantees are submitted and Concept (30%) Review has been approved through the Public Works Permitting process for the new traffic signal at the intersection of SE MLK Jr. Boulevard/SE Ankeny. ____________________________________ Kenneth D. Helm, Hearings Officer ____________________________________ Date Application Determined Complete: August 4, 2014 Report to Hearings Officer: September 12, 2014 Decision Mailed: October 10, 2014 Last Date to Appeal: 4:30 p.m., October 24, 2014 Effective Date (if no appeal): October 27, 2014 Decision may be recorded on this date.\

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:50 AM

Yes! More housing with retail! Does this seem to be taking off? Big things by 2017?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 7:17 PM

Weekly land use intakes time. Firstly, Design Advice Request and Pre Application Conference for the housing on St Francis Park:

Quote:
DAR for 102-unit multi-dwelling residential with below grade parking.
Quote:
Pre-application conference to discuss Type III Design Review for a new 102-unit multi-dwelling residential development with lower-level parking--34 spaces and 2 loading spaces.
Architects are MWA, who do a lot of affordable housing.

Also up in the DAR list is the proposal we were discussing in the SE Portland thread for the Oregon Ballet Theatre site:

Quote:
Pre-Application Conference to discuss a Type III Design Review for a new mixed-use building with 220 market rate residential units, ground-floor retail and one level of below-grade parking, with approximately 125 spaces. The building will be 6-stories in height.
Architects are SERA. Contrary to what was reported in the PBJ, the application does mention ground floor retail.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 12:39 AM

Pre-application conferences for the Oregon Ballet site [PDF, small] and for the St Francis Park site [PDF, small].

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 2:04 AM
A before E

Quote:
Pre-application conferences for the Oregon Ballet site [PDF, small] and for the St Francis Park site [PDF, small].
Oh good, it looks like common sense prevails, there is retail marked for along Morrison.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 12:45 AM

I noticed this afternoon the used car business at 419 E Burnside is gone. I'll assume that lot clearance is next for the Myhre-designed apartment project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland