HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 6:39 PM

Isn't that above rendering, provided by NWRoots, of the proposed Broadway Tower sitting next to the Ladd Tower?

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 7:43 PM

My apologies..... I was drunk.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 7:59 PM

So could the existing garage structurally support an additional 30 or so floors on top? I've seen buildings adding two or three floors like Meier and Frank or the refurbished Courtyard at Marriott but quadrupling the height seems extreme.

But then, I'm not a structural engineer, so maybe this is a piece of cake!

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 8:16 PM

wasn't the whole idea to tear down the garage, put the parking underground and then build the tower on top? i.e., not use the current structure?

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 11:25 PM

From my understanding, both options are on the table now with Carroll --tearing down the garage and starting over, or renovating the garage and building on top. I'm in favor of a tear-down, of course, but any kind of improvement there that includes an improved streetscape and a people-filled tower is fine by me.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 2:15 AM
'Can Draw It'

That NWroots.....rabble rouser.... ; ) I hope that this building comes to fruition. If you go to my link and click 3 times on the 6th image (for the full view), you'll get an idea of what "could" be. As well as my tallest, which really should go over in Lloyd, but looks pretty bitchin' downtown.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 3:44 AM
zzzzzzzz

^ Nice work

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 5:18 AM

I like your 'new tallest'. I could see that in Portland.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 7:32 PM
'Can Draw It'

Thanks....i'm going to have to make myself a website though. Imageshack has been VERY unstable here of late. I get on there and sometimes my images are there, sometimes they're not. I know there are other hosting sites. Hopefully (til' I get my own site) one of them will be better than the "shack."

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 8:00 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

photobucket is good.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 9:32 PM

Yup, I use Photobucket....works for me..

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 12:47 PM
'Can Draw It'

thanks for the tips......i'lll check out the bucket. hopefully you can move your images around in there too (like on myspace)....you can't on imageshack, at least not to my knowlege. either way, i don't want to get off base on this garage that's going to be 460 feet tall! (we hope)........this part of downtown is going to have some height. it's great. i'll say my prayers that it does happen. To have 3 tall buildings almost block to block to bock is superb.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 5:42 PM

Friday, July 4, 2008
City sets Yamhill makeover
City tells Bush Garden, Mother Goose it will subsidize their rent

Portland Business Journal - by Andy Giegerich Business Journal staff writer

At downtown Portland's Southwest Ninth Avenue and Morrison Street, worlds are colliding.

The neighborhood is home to high-end stores such as Brooks Brothers and Mother Goose. It also contains the decidedly lower-rent Peterson's on Morrison convenience store.

City officials, eager to redevelop the area for years, may finally get their wish.

The city -- which owns the block and operates the Smart Park Garage above its three retail spaces -- refused to renew Peterson's lease, so the store must close by Aug. 15. It has also told the Bush Garden Japanese Restaurant and Mother Goose that it will effectively subsidize their rent for at least the next year.

The flurry suggests the city is serious about correcting the site's many issues. It's a critical spot, with two light-rail lines that make it a transportation hub. Plus, business interests believe it can serve as a better gateway to developing commercial properties across Southwest 10th Avenue.

"It's been a big part of our downtown retail strategy," said Marion Haynes, a Portland Business Alliance spokeswoman. "It can help with the West End and develop a better connection to the Brewery Blocks" north and across West Burnside Street.

Colin McCormick, Mayor Tom Potter's policy manager for public involvement, said recent developments relate mainly to uncertainty over when construction on adjacent blocks will end and exactly when the 10th and Yamhill redevelopment can begin.

In particular, Potter believes that Bush Garden, at 900 S.W. Morrison St., and The Real Mother Goose, at 901 S.W. Yamhill St., have suffered because nearby construction has closed Southwest Ninth Avenue and hampered access to them. The city's moratorium on the retailers' rents will last one year.

The Real Mother Goose pays around $12,000 a month, while Bush Garden pays $3,000 a month. Peterson's pays $2,900 monthly.

"The construction over there makes it tough for customers to reach them," said John Doussard, a Potter spokesman. "And we've not been able to pull the trigger with what to do with the building."

Sho Dozono, who lost in May's mayoral primary to City Commissioner Sam Adams, owns Bush Garden. Potter endorsed Dozono in the election.

Dozono had come under fire during the campaign for owing the city more than $18,000 in back rent and taxes on the building.

Both Bush Garden and The Real Mother Goose could benefit when the full 10th & Yamhill project, led by developer John Carroll, becomes better defined.

Planners began mulling work on the site in 2002 and finally agreed in 2007 to co-develop it with Carroll.

David Logsdon, who's overseeing the project for the management and finance department, said economic conditions could make it difficult to find project funding. The public cost for redeveloping the retail spaces and the garage, from tax-increment financing and a parking fund, could reach $30 million. The entire project, expected to include a tower atop the existing garage, could cost $160 million.

"There's a bit of interest now in, let's make decisions and move forward," said Logsdon. "We want to make sure we get something done because there could be a lot of dark retail space, and that's not good."

The city council expects to review more proposals by summer's end, said Lisa Abuaf, a Portland Development Commission project manager.

"It's a pretty significant public investment, so we're taking the time to do it right," she said.

Carroll said the site will likely sandwich a revamped Smart Park garage between ground-floor retail spaces and upper-level housing and office units.

It likely will not, however, include Peterson's, which has operated on the site for 23 years. Doug Peterson said the site generates $1.4 million of his three stores' $2.9 million in revenue.

But Mike Reese, a Portland Police Bureau commander, said the site generates at least 30 incidents that require police responses yearly.

The city, citing the public drinking and public urination that allegedly occur around the store, informed Peterson in April that it would end his lease by Aug. 15. Nearby Brooks Brothers has also experienced high theft rates, according to the Portland Business Alliance.

"The record speaks for itself: That one particular store has had an impact on all surrounding businesses," said the PBA's Haynes.

Peterson counters that his store simply generates a lot of foot traffic, which may attract large assemblies of different clientele. He believes that shuttering the store contrasts with officials' desire to attract more downtown residents because many urban dwellers want access to 24-hour retail outlets.

"We're being told we're the bad guys who are drawing all the riff raff," said Peterson. "But you walk by Pioneer Place or Carl's Jr. or McDonald's or even Nordstrom's and you see them there, too."

agiegerich@bizjournals.com | 503-219-3419
http://portland.bizjournals.com/port...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 5:47 PM

Good to see this project move forward...that garage definitely needs some major TLC.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 6:15 AM
Closed account

12,000 A MONTH! I managed a store in Soho in NYC that paid that much in rent. How are they making a profit? Holy crap.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 5:06 PM
Well designed mixed use

That has to be a mistake. There's no way that site commands $12,000 per month.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 5:06 PM

Actually, $12,000 per month in rent is pretty reasonable. In fact, it's on the low side for the core of the CBD. Assuming The Real Mother Goose occupies 7,500 sqft (a rough guess), they're annual rent is less than $20 per sqft. For context, the market rate for quality retail space in the CBD is around $28 - $35 per sqft. Less desirable space goes anywhere from $16 - $24 per sqft. Also, retail space always rents at triple net rates. This means that, in addition to their rent payments, tenants are also on the hook for all taxes, insurance and maintenance expenses associated with their space as well.

Incidentally, some of the jewelry retailers on Broadway pay $60 to $70 per square foot.

On the other hand, Bush Garden is only paying $3,000 per month in rent. That's exceptionally low. I dare say that Bush Garden has negotiated one of the best retail leases in all of the CBD. Petersen's is only paying $100 per month less for goodness sakes. Sho Dozono knows how to cut a good deal. That rate is hard to believe. I wonder how may other city leases are that favorable. Probably not many.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 2:53 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by scleeb View Post
Actually, $12,000 per month in rent is pretty reasonable. In fact, it's on the low side for the core of the CBD. Assuming The Real Mother Goose occupies 7,500 sqft (a rough guess), they're annual rent is less than $20 per sqft. For context, the market rate for quality retail space in the CBD is around $28 - $35 per sqft. Less desirable space goes anywhere from $16 - $24 per sqft. Also, retail space always rents at triple net rates. This means that, in addition to their rent payments, tenants are also on the hook for all taxes, insurance and maintenance expenses associated with their space as well.

Incidentally, some of the jewelry retailers on Broadway pay $60 to $70 per square foot.

On the other hand, Bush Garden is only paying $3,000 per month in rent. That's exceptionally low. I dare say that Bush Garden has negotiated one of the best retail leases in all of the CBD. Petersen's is only paying $100 per month less for goodness sakes. Sho Dozono knows how to cut a good deal. That rate is hard to believe. I wonder how may other city leases are that favorable. Probably not many.
Actually the per sq ft pricing is a yearly pricing, so I am guessing that it was a typo or they really have a bad deal. Although there are locations in town that do have that high of a monthly cost, I just have a hard time believing that spot is one of them.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 7:39 AM
Well designed mixed use

I'm aware of rent rates in the retail core, but there's no way the Mother Goose Space is 7,500 square feet. I'm guessing it's more like 2,000. What's more, that's a prime location, but a subprime property.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 3:41 PM

^They actually have their 'headquarter' offices located off the show room in the parking garage location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland