HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 7:15 AM
A before E

Rumor Thread

the intersection of sw college and sw 6th will be home to a 17 story condo tower by 2010. I just found out about this from a guy I know who use to own the deli that is right there. He just finished selling it to a developer for a ton of money for this to happen. So yeah, news before it is even news yet, just thought I would spread the knowledge.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 2:27 PM

there's been a rendering floating around out there for quite some time. maybe for a different project at that location. i thought it was myhre group, but don't see anything on their web site. if i can find it, i'll post it.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 4:33 PM

good news, the west end is booming!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 5:26 PM

yea, its been posted on here before. its being done by the same folks that did the Mosaic.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 6:43 PM

SW 6th? Is that really considered part of the West End? I thought it was SW 10th west to 405 with Burnside as its northern border....Is College St. located close to PSU? Is PSU considered part of the West End?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 7:13 PM

I allways thought it was really weird how that new dorm on that block wraps around that 1 story deli. You would of thought that PSU would just develop the entire block. I wonder why they didnt go up to 17 stories when they built that thing considiring that there is supposed to be a housing crunch at PSU.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 9:59 PM
A before E

not sure if it is the same developer that had the rendering of that block a while back, I remember seeing it. From what I know, the school didnt buy the whole block because they didnt offer my friend enough money. He has had developers offer before, but this developer practically offer 10 times the amount the place was worth, plus when the tower is done, he gets the retail space on the first floor, so it was a deal he couldn't pass up, so he sold.

So yeah, not sure if it is that same rendering we have seen before...I am gonna guess that it will be a different looking building from that one though.

Actually this area is more of the southend...or university neighborhood...and yes it is booming. We are about to get several new buildings around the Urban Center, the whole Harrison's make over, and now this....or and they are ripping up the roads for the LRT...if you want to count that to for a neighborhood booming.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 10:58 PM

this proposal has always seemed like a rather tight fit. i mean, that's going to be quite a canyon between the two buildings - 10 stories high but only (i would guess) a few feet wide.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2007, 12:24 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
this proposal has always seemed like a rather tight fit. i mean, that's going to be quite a canyon between the two buildings - 10 stories high but only (i would guess) a few feet wide.
the benson is just a quarter block building as well. this will add some insane density to an area that isnt that dense, but it will be cool to watch go up especially if I am living in the same place cause I could watch it go up from my front porch.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 9:33 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle rock View Post
I allways thought it was really weird how that new dorm on that block wraps around that 1 story deli. You would of thought that PSU would just develop the entire block. I wonder why they didnt go up to 17 stories when they built that thing considiring that there is supposed to be a housing crunch at PSU.
Going up cost a lot of money, and the owners of the deli wanted more than PSU was willing to pay for their property.

At 10 stories 3/4 block, they were able to cram in about 380 units, however.

Good business sense, really.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 1:44 PM

i consider everything on the west side thats not in the buisness district the west end i.e. goose hollow, university district etc.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 4:30 AM

I actually live and work with Residence Life in the Broadway Building which wraps around that lot, and also wonder why the hell PSU didn't jump on this opportunity! However, Residence Life and Housing did just switch four more floors to double occupancy...they're trying to transform the campus community into more of a traditional 4-year college environment by expanding the First Year Experience programs...but again, I have no idea why they didn't grab that lot when land around campus is so scarce. While I'm sad that Mini-deli is gone for the sake of convenience, I'm glad I won't have to pay their ridiculous prices and card transaction fees anymore. One can always enjoy a hookah at the Green Onion on the other side of the block.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 5:09 PM
A before E

its all about the money, PSU never offered enough money.

but PSU still has a few buildings it can demolish to build bigger....like the single story building across 6th from the Broadway tower for instance.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 5:37 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I read some of PSU's long-range planning documents; they are planning on building a LOT of stuff. Millions of sq ft, actually, but a lot of it is going to be around the urban plaza for the time being.

I'd like to see the entire double-block with the art building and gas stations get built.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 5:41 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
I read some of PSU's long-range planning documents; they are planning on building a LOT of stuff. Millions of sq ft, actually, but a lot of it is going to be around the urban plaza for the time being.

I'd like to see the entire double-block with the art building and gas stations get built.
oh yeah, that would be sweet. I know they are trying to convert PSU into a true 4year college and less of a commuter college. The architecture department will be lobbying soon for a master's degree....the cool thing about that is I just read the school got the go ahead to get a film degree. That is a huge move for the school, so things might actually be different this time....but I am not holding my breath for it.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 3:19 PM

PSU owns that huge former DoubleTree Hotel. That is a bunch of prime land for future expansions, and I have heard they are trying to shoot towards OHSU's SoWa campus to create a university spine.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2007, 11:50 PM

Rumor thread

Post any rumors or hearsay for new projects here!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 3:52 PM

In the front page article in the oregonian today, they said mark edlen was scouting out locations for his next two condo projects, anyone know where?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 5:58 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougall5505 View Post
In the front page article in the oregonian today, they said mark edlen was scouting out locations for his next two condo projects, anyone know where?
Could be anywhere....

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 6:01 PM

What ever happened to the possibility of the smart park on yamhill being converted to apartments? Was that just wishful thinking or is it just getting started? (the plans)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland