HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 7, 2009, 6:54 PM
Bears of antiquity

Sad to see this slip to 2015, but since MAX to Vancouver will hopefully come online in 2016, it's not too shabby!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 2:06 AM
Karma Police

I kinda figured Milwaukie and Vancouver MAX would be built simultaneously. So, Tigard by 2020 actually sounds plausible.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 3:58 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

took these tonight at the event.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 4:50 AM

It would be helpful to get some renderings of the bridge when illuminated at night to display here, as shown during tonight's presentation at city hall... the bridge looked nice, modern and elegant.

He also spoke of blue ped lighting, I imagine something like what is shown in some of the Gibbs Street ped bridge renderings.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 9:18 AM
Karma Police

It looks clean and sleek here, but for as much as they're investing in this model, shouldn't they be showing the catenary wires as well? You can't run light rail across the bridge without them and they're going to have a huge impact on the look when the entire design is dependant on the cables.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
It looks clean and sleek here, but for as much as they're investing in this model, shouldn't they be showing the catenary wires as well? You can't run light rail across the bridge without them and they're going to have a huge impact on the look when the entire design is dependant on the cables.
65-

They're in there, though maybe be a little hard to detect- the vertical cables are only in the middle section, between the piers. Merci for the nice photos, Zil.

As you all may know, this bridge choice isn't a done deal yet. As the most expensive option it's got a few Trimet hurdles to run through first. The architect, Miguel Rosales, made quite an effort to lecture why we need this design ("it will win awards"). As well as how ugly the Marquam bridge is- he went as far as omitting it completely in at least one of his night renderings. It was interesting to see the sales side of architecture in action.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 6:11 PM
shozbot!

^^ Did the cost estimates change? For months we've been reading comments from Rosales that the wave design would be the most expensive option. Different variations of the cable-stayed design being looked at perhaps for cost, with a high and low end?

http://blog.oregonlive.com/portlanda..._treasure.html

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 6:32 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

No, he said this would be about $10-15 million more than a standard cable stayed design, and be cheaper than the wave design. He had quite the presentation skills, however.

I really love this bridge design.. I think the team has done an excellent job so far. Also, the model is further along the design process than the renderings, and he stressed how important the model is by giving people a much better picture as to what the bridge will actually be like.

Go down to city hall to take a look! Its a 6 foot long model.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 10:09 PM

I would love a space for benches on the bridge. taking in a skyline or contemplating the universe is fun when doing it suspended above a body of water.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 7:39 PM

Latest News: On Wednesday, April 8, Portland City Council voted unanimously in favor of the North Macadam Transportation Strategy and accompanying TSDC Overlay.

http://www.portlandonline.com/TRANSP...ex.cfm?c=44478

The Naturopathic School, my neighbor, was by far the most represented during yesterday's testimonials. It looks like they'll play an even bigger role in the area in the future. One interesting comment by one of their faculty was that education is downtown Portland's biggest "industry", which I guess will even be more so when OHSU's Schnitzer Campus builds out. I can't wait for that wasteland between the Marquam and Ross Island bridges to get cleaned up and filled in, and help connect the South Waterfront to the rest of the downtown waterfront. Federal stimulus money for cleanup anyone?

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 4:38 AM

It looks as though the favored Rosales bridge design won't be happening:

http://www.portlandspaces.net/blog/t...rosales-design

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 1:50 PM

The only difference in designs was the curve of the wire supports, which is complicated and unnecessary to actually hold the bridge up. I'd rather see the money go into a wider bike path.. I highly doubt the look of this very modern bridge will be devastating to the aesthetic of the river..

Old Posted May 23, 2009, 3:13 AM
Karma Police

I'm actually fine with that decision. The cable-stay/suspension hybrid seemed unnecessary and forced. The curved suspension cable in the middle looked odd combined with the straight cable-stays at both ends.

Old Posted May 24, 2009, 12:05 PM

Here's a response and renderings from TriMet found over at Portland Transport's website...

http://portlandtransport.com/archive..._responds.html

The text...
"We have selected a bridge architect with more than 40 years experience working on signature bridges including cable-stayed , suspension and hybrid bridges, and also bike and ped bridges. His work includes the Golden Gate Bridge, the Oakland Bay Bridge and others. I've included a link to his website.
We have two bridge designs on the table and I have attached pictures of each. Next week the WRBAC (Willamette River Bridge Advisory Committee) will weigh in on these two designs and by the end of June we will select one to move further into preliminary engineering.
We are still in contract negotiations but the architect selected is Donald MacDonald."

Regarding the renderings- one looks like the Rosales design, and the other looks like it could be the "big brother" of the extradosed Gibbs St. pedestrian bridge....

http://www.gibbsbridge.org/ProjectLi...EVATION%20.pdf

Old Posted May 24, 2009, 1:09 PM

So... a commenter brought up a good point on that blog: why is TriMet pushing for a new bridge instead of an alignment on a dedicated deck over the Marquam.

In my opinion, this illustrates at least a notion that TriMet thinks the Marquam isn't permanent. There's plenty of other reasons to not run it over the Marquam, (like wanting to service SoWa), but I wonder if TriMet is expecting Portland to bury I-5 within the life of the transit bridge?

Wouldn't surprise me. Honestly, I think the Marquam will be torn down within 30 years.

Old Posted May 24, 2009, 2:13 PM

TBH I think that's a really stupid idea. Where would you put LRT tracks on the Marquam bridge? I suppose you could add a third deck - maybe, if the structure would support it - but then you have to consider the bridge height: at both ends it would be so high that stations at Riverplace and OMSI would be unreasonably expensive. The Marquam might be torn down in 30 years, but it's doubtful that the fact that TriMet isn't considering it has anything to do with it.

Old Posted May 24, 2009, 6:53 PM

The V-shaped supporting towers of this design...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/portlan...7618556993967/

...combined with its use of less cabling, compared to the Rosales design, would seem to offer users of the bridge a more open feeling, both looking up and to the sides. The apex/middle of the bridge with the V-shape also offers a totally cable free view- great for benches, street musicians, popsicle stands, etc. More sky, less "cage".

It also reminds me a bit of the peace sign we can make with our index and middle fingers.

Here's Rosales' design...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/portlan...7618556993967/

I like the clean elegance of Rosales' design, as well as its homage to previous bridge types (e.g., St. Johns), but I like the more "futuristic" aspect of the V-shape, and its complete departure from all other bridges along the Willamette- like we're turning a new leaf.

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 1:55 AM

I like them both. I'll be happy with either.

Marquam - bad idea, even it it were feasible.

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 2:07 AM
Karma Police

The V-shaped design is definitely more open and elegant. The suspension cables in the center span of the Rosales design seem arbitrary, redundant and cluttered. It also seems as though the footprint of the V-shaped towers, where they meet the river, would be smaller than the other option. Another plus.

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 6:56 PM

I vote for the V design. Can't wait till this one and the pedestrian bridge are done, it will be such a striking addition to that area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure